Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Faerie in relation to Abeir-Toril
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
969 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2006 :  21:32:09  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very cool ideas everyone. For what its worth, Gray, I worked up the dismiss nature's ally spell because there was a dismiss nature elemental spell in 2E, but that seemed far too limited and I thought druids needed some sort of dismissal spell. I figured that elementals were too small of group to make it terribly useful, so thought I'd hint at Faerie or the Backroads/Crossroads and add in the fey. Glad to see it helped spark some ideas.
Go to Top of Page

Thangorn
Seeker

New Zealand
84 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2006 :  00:31:12  Show Profile Send Thangorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent ideas there everyone. I particularly like your explanation there Knight Errant, with one exception...

I had assumed that the Star Elves would be spelljamming refugees from either Tintageer or some other world or explorers who had descended to find their "promised land" in Yuirwood.

other than that. That is exactly how I percieved it, thanks for sharing your sagely Faerunian understandings.

Ex-A Land Far Away (ALFA) DM/Builder

Faerunian Canon Despot
Go to Top of Page

FR_Junkie
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2006 :  22:13:11  Show Profile  Visit FR_Junkie's Homepage Send FR_Junkie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

One thing I am curious about is the crossroads guardians. I wonder if they are some kind of elemental (maybe one of the Nature Elementals from Realms Bestiary v.2) or a fey who volunteers to bind himself to the crossroads on the Faerie side, or some other kind of spirit? Or maybe they are actually living fey who watch these crossroads in shifts, perhaps a whole clan of fey on the Faerie side sponsors a particular crossroads and accepts responsibility to make sure that it is manned with a guardian 24 hours a day, but rotating them in shifts. Surely there is some interesting lore there to tell about how the guardians came to be.

maybe the guardians are bound in service by higher powers in the faerie realm, or maybe its a for-life job for them. perhaps they were tricked into service and accepted their lot in life......which could also lead to an interesting adventure hook if they are in turn allowed to trick others into taking over their job.

I like to think there's some rhyme or reason to it all, but the rules of it shouldn't make sense to those who aren't fey.... due to their inherent chaotic nature. and if anyone ever guesses "the rules," any given fey should be able to change the rules (as they apply to outsiders) on a whim.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11808 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2006 :  09:32:52  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very nicely developed concept. I like the whole spirit world being different in Faerun versus Kara-tur concept, then KEJR's expansion onto it makes a lot of sense. The idea that the Star Elves were trying to recreate the magic that the original elves had used to make Faerie however is extremely intriguing (especially considering that the Yuirwood also has strong ties to the Seelie/Unseelie Court).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2006 :  17:11:18  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sleyvas,

What ties does the Seelie/Unseelie Court have with the Yuirwood? It makes sense that there would be ties but I have seen no "official" data on it...

ShadowJack
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2006 :  17:13:21  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
anyhow ... something i've wondered about for quite some time ... where can you find the Star Elf racicals?

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2006 :  17:40:35  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Star Elf stats can be found in Races of Faerun.

ShadowJack
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2006 :  17:58:40  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmm ... where ... i can find
Aquatic,
Averial,
Drow,
Moon,
Sun
Wild
Wood ...

but no Star elf

Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2006 :  18:01:08  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
no, star elves are in the Unapproachable East

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2006 :  20:15:18  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My apologies... I have both tomes and got confused as they are not with at the moment. I will not be so quick to answer in the future without my resources to hand...

ShadowJack
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11808 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  20:49:03  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
>>Sleyvas, What ties does the Seelie/Unseelie Court have with the Yuirwood? It makes sense >>that there would be ties but I have seen no "official" data on it...

2nd edition Spellbound Monstrous compendium introduces the seelie and unseelie sprites. It explicitly states that they are found in the yuirwood and live in little demiplanes attached to the Yuirwood.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  21:50:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

>>Sleyvas, What ties does the Seelie/Unseelie Court have with the Yuirwood? It makes sense >>that there would be ties but I have seen no "official" data on it...

2nd edition Spellbound Monstrous compendium introduces the seelie and unseelie sprites. It explicitly states that they are found in the yuirwood and live in little demiplanes attached to the Yuirwood.

And they were updated to 3.5 in the Realms Bestiary, Volume 2, by Eric L. Boyd and Thomas M. Costa. Both volumes are available from that link, and are very worthy resources.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  01:19:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

The "Aglarond" section of Spellbound also hints at this in a few places.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  12:36:53  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thznks all for the info. I do not have Spellbound, but I have downloaded the Realm's Bestiary. I will check them out today.

ShadowJack
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2006 :  08:56:30  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tom, in your Realms Bestiary II, under Nature Elemental, you have the spell Dismiss Nature's Ally which, among other things "also allows you to force fey native to the Material Plane to Faerie, the extraplanar home of the fey (evil fey are affected, but do not seem to end up in Faerie; where they end up remains a mystery), despite the fact that fey are not extraplanar creatures."

Well, ever since you mentioned that, I have been thinking about it, and it just occured to me that the plane of Fury's Heart would make a great home for the Queen of Air & Darkness and her Unseelie court.

In 2e her realm was found in Pandemonium, but for 3E, Fury's Heart works great for several reasons. This is the plane of Nature's Wrath. It is a plane of evil nature deities and of corrupted nature itself. The plane was likely once a part of the House of Nature and split off during or soon after the War of Light & Darkness between Shar and Selune. It is a very appropriate place for evil fey to hang out.

Another good candidate might be Deep Caverns, which in some ways is more like the plane of Pandemonium physically. But I am not sure that the QoA&D was ever associated with exclusively underground fey, so not sure that it would be the best fit. I see it only as a second runner up to Fury's Heart.

I think the plane of Fury's Heart would make an excellent home base for the evil fey court, and a good place for evil fey to get banished to when you cast the spell Dismiss Nature's Ally.
Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2006 :  23:41:02  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gray,
Sounds good. Here is my question; how does this work with Between as discussed in Faeries by Bryon Wischstadt? I thought that Between was the domain of the Unseelie court? It has been awhile since I picked up that tome... Many sources make reference to the strife between the Seelie and Unseelie courts. Where would this fighting take place? On the prime material planes, in Between, Fury's heart or in Faerie?

ShadowJack
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2006 :  13:29:40  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a great question, and it sent me back to Bryon's book to read up on the Between. In Bryon's version of Faerie, the Between is a little like Faerieland's version of the old Border Ethereal, it's some kind of bridge between the Material Plane and Faerie. It has the feel of a transitive plane. It is a dark land of eternal night. It feels strongly like a version of the Shadow Plane.

I can think of several ways to incorporate the Between into the Realms cosmology.

1) Faerie could now have 2 layers, the first layer is the Between, it is a very thin layer, and it is the layer you arrive on when you make the transition from the Material. You have to pass through the layer in order to get to the 2nd layer beneath which is the layer that everyone more traditionally thinks of as Faerie.

2) The Between could also be a special transitive demiplane that bridges the Material and Faerie.

3) The Between may actually lie in the plane of Shadow. I could see a chain of events in the past where the Queen of Air & Darkness shunted the lands she controlled into the plane of Shadow, still strongly connected to Faerie, but also firmly entrenched in the Shadow Plane. The Between may actually be the "Shadow" of Faerie (I kinda like that image). As the plane of Faerie lost many of its direct ties and close connections to the Material Plane, the Between became more important as a route into Faerie as it became easier to simply shadow walk into the Between and from there transition to Faerie. The Between may thus have become an important access point into Faerie as it provides a shadow bridge into Faerie proper.

Of course, if any of that is true then the Unseelie court would be found in the Between and not lie in the plane of Fury's Heart.

By the way, I also found a lot of information in Bryon's book about fey crossroads and backroads that is very interesting.

I wonder if Bryon himself ever vists these boards? It would be mighty nifty to have some of his insight into this.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2006 :  05:41:20  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, taking into account the Between, I thought that this would be an interesting take on the Crossroads Guardians in regards to the crossroads and backroads. If the Between were the region of the Unseelie, you could ascribe the "nastier" effects of the Plane of Faerie, as described in the Manual of the Planes, to that section of the plane.

On top of that, the crossroads and backroads could actually be a sort of "balancing point" between the Between and the more benign Faerie proper. I know, even though the trip was nearly instantaneous, I always roleplayed out those few steps and made allusions to the fact that if anyone traveling a crossroad stepped off the path, very bad things could happen.

On top of that, if the fey themselves use crossroads, and the crossroads skirt the line between the Between and Faerie proper, it could be that the Crossroads Guardians are actually there to protect the fey using the crossroads from any Unselee fey that might cause problems or slip onto the path from the Between, and this would also explain why non-fey using the crossroads have to convince the guardians to let them by . . . they are not guarding the crossroads just to do so, but specifically for the fey that use the crossroads, so they are under no real compunction to allow anyone else to pass.

Also, Eric, if you read this thread again, those references to Crossroads and Backroads wouldn't be the background material that you put into the World Serpent Inn article in the last issue of Dragon would it? I noticed some familiar fey terminology when you were discussing the waitstaff, as well as your neat tie in with the World Serpent concept from Serpent Kingdoms as it relates to other worlds and serpent deities.
Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2006 :  16:44:59  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow! I am going to have to print off this thread and keep this as part of MY "official" Realms-lore on the Fey and Faerie. What a great adventure to have your characters using the Crossroads and traversing to Faerie... Maybe to rescue a child that has been taken by a chaotic and whimsical Fey... This is one of the ideas that Wischstadt touches on in his book. Great ideas everyone! I will have to get that issue of Dragon for the World Serpent lore...

ShadowJack
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2006 :  17:00:32  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
are there a fey pantheon (updated to 3 or 3.5E), what gods are there and what domains do they have and such ... basicly ... is there anywhere to find that?

Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2006 :  20:21:01  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe this subject was recently discussed in another thread... There was some really good info in it. I believe that it was decided that the fey revere Titania and Oberron... I am sure some goodly sage will wander by and whack me with his staff for MY in-attention and lack of recall and point you to the correct tome... My head is hurtin' already...

ShadowJack
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2006 :  23:27:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sian

are there a fey pantheon (updated to 3 or 3.5E), what gods are there and what domains do they have and such ... basicly ... is there anywhere to find that?

The Seelie and Unseelie Courts. I answered the rest of your question in this recent scroll earlier this month:- http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8412

Edited by - The Sage on 20 Dec 2006 23:29:46
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2006 :  23:28:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ShadowJack

I believe this subject was recently discussed in another thread... There was some really good info in it. I believe that it was decided that the fey revere Titania and Oberron... I am sure some goodly sage will wander by and whack me with his staff for MY in-attention and lack of recall and point you to the correct tome... My head is hurtin' already...

Indeed.

As I noted above... Consider yourself whacked by a goodly Sage, Shadowjack.

Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2006 :  07:09:49  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
problem with that Sage is that i looked though Monster myth ... and there weren't as far as i could see any domains ... there was the gods but not the domains

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2006 :  10:58:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye.

And if you look over the scroll I provided the URL for earlier, you'll see that I named two other sources for the domains pertaining to the Seelie and Unseelie courts -- namely On Hallowed Ground and the "Gods List" PDF at planewalker.com.

Edited by - The Sage on 21 Dec 2006 11:01:22
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2006 :  16:11:16  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

problem with that Sage is that i looked though Monster myth ... and there weren't as far as i could see any domains ... there was the gods but not the domains

Well, there would be no domains listed in 1e and 2e material since domains is a 3/3.5e invention. Only portfolios were listed in the old material and priest spheres, which were added to domains, in some cases.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2006 :  16:20:51  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmm ... okay then ... is seelie court updated to 3e/3.5e or should i sit known and give out domains myself?

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2006 :  16:30:59  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

hmm ... okay then ... is seelie court updated to 3e/3.5e or should i sit known and give out domains myself?

The courts haven't been officially updated as far as I know....

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2006 :  23:26:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

Well, there would be no domains listed in 1e and 2e material since domains is a 3/3.5e invention. Only portfolios were listed in the old material and priest spheres, which were added to domains, in some cases.

Aye.

Sian, the portfolios were what I was referring to, that were detailed in On Hallowed Ground. If the Seelie and Unseelie Courts were to receive an official update in the Realmslore, it's likely these older portfolios would receive some focus in 3e material.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2006 :  23:26:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

We have references to the Seelie and Unseelie in 3e, though no specific update... as I said in the scroll I linked to above.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000