Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What is your favorite Monster in the Realms?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2006 :  13:11:36  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Okay we have a bord :What is your favorite character in the Realms?
and i just thought what about monsters?

My favorite monster is the Dark Naga

- Dark nagas speak Common and Infernal.
- Dark nagas prefer to fight from an elevated position where they get a good view of the battlefield while also staying out of reach.
- Poison : Injury, Fortitude DC 16 or lapse into a nightmare-haunted sleep for 2d4 minutes. The save DC is Constitution-based.
- Dark nagas cast spells as 7th-level sorcerers.
- A dark naga can continuously use detect thoughts as the spell (caster level 9th; Will DC 15 negates). This ability is always active. The save DC is Charisma-based.
- Dark nagas are immune to any form of mind reading.

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2006 :  13:36:25  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sharns

Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2006 :  20:54:14  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drow. They come in all kinds of varieties and they are great schemers!

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2006 :  23:32:48  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Still the Lich for me...perfect puppet masters (& just ´cause my players start to sweat whenever they hear me utter the word).

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2006 :  23:41:39  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Phaerimm, cos they really make my players scared... and they only ran away from one...the only one they met so far...

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2006 :  00:19:51  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll confess to a liking for beholders, though I'm rather partial to umber hulks. And gelatinous cubes, of course.
My players have learned to be careful around drow, dragons and dire bears.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2006 :  04:21:16  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rust monster One of my first encounters playing D&D, which was in the basic red box.
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2006 :  04:46:44  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the OP meant FR-specific monsters, I'm not sure between two Ed's creations : Were-dragons or Malaugrym. I love shapechangers
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2006 :  04:52:11  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ghazneths, Ghour Demons and Hishruu.

J. Grenemyer

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2006 :  04:58:33  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As to FR specific races i like the sound Weredragon just heard of that though, and i love the Deep Dragon, Brown Dragon, and the Fang Dragon (although i would have added some cooler powers to them)!

"Develop the latent abilities within you for that is your power alone. Psionics is the ultimate art of magic and you are its practitioner. Through lifelong dedication, strive to unite your will with your physical form to become one. Only through the unrestrained union of one’s mind and body can the magic of psionics truly be mastered. Throw off the yoke of any who would impose tyranny upon you. Likewise, do not ever force another to submit to your will. Free your mind, free yourself and you have only just begun the path to true psionic mastery. Free others, open their minds to the Invisible Art, and you will show them way to Auppenser."
---Dogma of the Church of Auppenser
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2006 :  07:37:39  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if we are talking Realms specific I would have to say Asperii,Feystag, Bhaergala, Deepspawn, Tressym and Quagoth (Not sure if these were first introduced in the Realms though). Mind you these could change from day to day.

If we were talking of the D&D game in general it would be some of the older favorites among goblinoids, giants and such.

Go to Top of Page

Haman
Seeker

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2006 :  10:03:04  Show Profile  Visit Haman's Homepage Send Haman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dracolich. Ever since I first started getting into the Realms and read the chapters of Spellfire dealing with Shandril vs. Big, boney and nasty I just loved em.

Some people say we gamers have no lives....I think we have too many.
Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2006 :  13:26:45  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the Sharn, even though most of their mystery was revealed in Blackstaff

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2006 :  15:21:22  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a big fan of the Unseen, and shapeshifters in general, so I'm going to say Doppelgangers.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2006 :  17:21:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

I'm a big fan of the Unseen, and shapeshifters in general, so I'm going to say Doppelgangers.

Ditto on all but doppelgangers... I prefer greater doppelgangers. I also love the fey'ri.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2006 :  17:55:57  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sanishiver

Ghazneths, Ghour Demons and Hishruu.

J. Grenemyer

hishruu? I like the nishruu/hakeashar

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2006 :  01:15:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to stay with the general shapeshifter trend and say doppelgangers as well. Along with the Malaugrym.

Honourable mention -- the Saurials.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2006 :  02:19:02  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Vampires. Always loved them as bad guys. I like frost giants too. Yuan-Ti are fun. Ogre Mages. Of course, lycanthropes.

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2006 :  02:58:26  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beirnadri Magranth

hishruu? I like the nishruu/hakeashar
I blame my right index finger.

J. Grenemyer

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2006 :  04:20:13  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sharn and Phaerimm are my favorite

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2006 :  12:32:55  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hail to the Dragons of Fearun! They are my favorites - all of them.

What better monster/opponant can you think than an old imposing Great Red Wyrm?

And what better motivation than the huge heap of treasure he is sleeping on?

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Lord Teclis
Acolyte

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2006 :  13:17:50  Show Profile  Visit Lord Teclis's Homepage Send Lord Teclis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would have to be either the Dragons or Tarrasque.
Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2006 :  15:33:21  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Honourable mention -- the Saurials.

Awh yes i love the Saurials and they don't get enough play either, I too love the shapeshifters just ask any of my friends the will tell you in detail lol. I would like to see a return of the Catlords on that note as well but ...... Back to the subject i love the Steel Dragon or should i say Waterdeep dragon.

"Develop the latent abilities within you for that is your power alone. Psionics is the ultimate art of magic and you are its practitioner. Through lifelong dedication, strive to unite your will with your physical form to become one. Only through the unrestrained union of one’s mind and body can the magic of psionics truly be mastered. Throw off the yoke of any who would impose tyranny upon you. Likewise, do not ever force another to submit to your will. Free your mind, free yourself and you have only just begun the path to true psionic mastery. Free others, open their minds to the Invisible Art, and you will show them way to Auppenser."
---Dogma of the Church of Auppenser
Go to Top of Page

Neonai
Acolyte

Turkey
34 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2006 :  01:20:59  Show Profile  Visit Neonai's Homepage Send Neonai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
phaerimm are scary and ugly, love' em . and they also rule over the beholders. even conquered a beholder city in underdark. cool, aye.

let s see ý kinda like demi-lich. man, why am ý that power obsessed?

but ý don t like dragons no more. ý saw one of a player killed a great wyrm in 4 turns. even though it was partially my fault, that turned me off. (never give pcs powerful artifacts, it becomes too hard too torture them)
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2006 :  01:45:22  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definate love phaerimm. The things have grabbed my attention ever since I first read about them in FR13 Anauroch. I loved the Valerie Valusek illustration of them, and they first appeared at a time when no one really knew what an aberration was, and yet they were a perfect example of one of them. I do like that they have younger ones now in 3.5, since I could actually throw one at my PCs, and they were quite . . . respectful of the beastie.

I've only gotten a chance to run one once, but I have always loved Fang Dragons as well. Something about the unpredicatable nature of them and the fact that they are just so different than other dragons.

Malaugrym got a lot of use in my last campaign. I love them, especially the creative way you can describe them shape shifting around (wheather it has any "rules component" or not), and on top of that, my PCs now absolutely hate them, and pretty much anything from the plane of shadows (check out my campaign journal for any more info on this, especially the final installment, in which we all had a very good time, and I did probably the dirtiest thing I have ever done to a PC at the end of a campaign).
Go to Top of Page

Aglaranna
Learned Scribe

166 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2006 :  15:09:54  Show Profile  Visit Aglaranna's Homepage Send Aglaranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still love those goblins! They take me back to the days when they could take me out in a single blow...And then they'd steal my cheese and ale supply...Er...Maybe not my favorite foe. I like the drow, then! Now *they* can take me out with a single blow...Hm...

"You can choose a ready guide
In some celestial voice
If you choose not to decide
You still have made a choice

You can choose from phantom fears
And kindness that can kill
I will choose the path that's clear
I will choose freewill." -'Freewill' by Rush
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2006 :  16:00:34  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
None. They're all monsters!

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2006 :  16:50:38  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aglaranna

I still love those goblins! They take me back to the days when they could take me out in a single blow...And then they'd steal my cheese and ale supply...Er...Maybe not my favorite foe. I like the drow, then! Now *they* can take me out with a single blow...Hm...

However, they will not stop with stealing cheese and ale, my dear! No no, by far, they will not........

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Silvanus79
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2006 :  20:16:37  Show Profile  Visit Silvanus79's Homepage Send Silvanus79 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Phaerimm. And my poor players have no idea I like them so much because I have yet to throw one at them. Oh yes, that will be fun.

If we back out of the Realms specifics, though, I am a demon/devil fan. Coming from an old Planescape fan, that's hardly surprising, but I have always enjoyed the politics and battles of the Blood War. Woe to the poor berk who gets dropped into one of those scraps. Nice, quick way to find himself put in the dead-book, if you ask me!

Procrastinators unite! Tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2006 :  20:58:50  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's hard for me to say. I generally like any monster that can stand on it's own as an intelligent character (and interact meaningfully with protagonists) over monsters that are just there to be slaughtered.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Aglaranna
Learned Scribe

166 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2006 :  22:31:22  Show Profile  Visit Aglaranna's Homepage Send Aglaranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

quote:
Originally posted by Aglaranna

However, they will not stop with stealing cheese and ale, my dear! No no, by far, they will not........

Urgh, you almost inspire me to retire from adventuring. But not quite. Now, some day we'll all look back and...er...Wonder what possessed us to go knocking on the doors of the Underdark in the first place.

"You can choose a ready guide
In some celestial voice
If you choose not to decide
You still have made a choice

You can choose from phantom fears
And kindness that can kill
I will choose the path that's clear
I will choose freewill." -'Freewill' by Rush
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll