Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What is your favorite Monster in the Realms?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Ranin
Seeker

88 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2006 :  17:46:27  Show Profile  Visit Ranin's Homepage Send Ranin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since before I have ever read any FR novels and before I bought the Monster Manual for D&D, the griffin and hippogriff was always my favorite. After knowing about FR monsters, these are still my favorite beasts.

They are also free spirited creatures with no ties to alignments or magic, as they need them not. I also like werebeasts, in particular weretigers, and the pegasus always was one of my favorites as well.

Listen to the silence of the wilds, in there lies the wisdom of ages.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36787 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2006 :  18:01:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ranin

Since before I have ever read any FR novels and before I bought the Monster Manual for D&D, the griffin and hippogriff was always my favorite. After knowing about FR monsters, these are still my favorite beasts.

Griffons have long been a favorite of mine, as well. Hippogriffs, not so much...

My love of griffons was part of what inspired one of the Hooks in Volume 6 of the Candlekeep Compendium.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2006 :  19:37:27  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This week, my favourite monster is the stirge!
Go to Top of Page

Twilight
Seeker

Canada
68 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2006 :  06:45:34  Show Profile  Visit Twilight's Homepage Send Twilight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would a Shadovar count as a monster? If not I choose Basilisk
Go to Top of Page

Twilight
Seeker

Canada
68 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2006 :  04:57:02  Show Profile  Visit Twilight's Homepage Send Twilight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Baelnorn(did I spell that right) I mean they live a 1000 year life studying magic and getting stronger and stronger and then they become liches and keep getting stronger
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2006 :  11:03:35  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whay Basilisk Twilight ?

Hmm yes Baelnorn, I Almost Forgot About them.

Baelnorn are elves who have sought undeath to serve their families, communities, or another purpose (usually to see a wrong righted, or to achieve a certain magical discovery or deed). They are equivalent to liches, and appear as tall, impressive-looking elves with shriveled skin and glowing white eyes. Most baelnorn keep to the crypts, ruins, or mage-towers they’re guarding or working in, and are never seen except by those who intrude into such places. Baelnorn are most likely to be Lawful Good in alignment (as opposed to Evil liches).

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

Twilight
Seeker

Canada
68 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2006 :  20:06:09  Show Profile  Visit Twilight's Homepage Send Twilight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i just think being able to turn someone to stone with just a glare is a pretty nifty ability
Go to Top of Page

LucianBarasu
Fellaren-Krae Co-ordinator

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2006 :  20:11:24  Show Profile  Visit LucianBarasu's Homepage Send LucianBarasu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First and foremost, Drow. For the above mentioned things, plus the fact monsters that are more humanistic rather than fantasical, to me, are more scary.

Second, dragons. You can do a wide variety of skills, personalities and dynamics with the dragon race.

Honorable mention= Githyanki. love the history...

Lucian "The Bringer" Barasu
Fellaren Krae Project Co-Ordinator

"Why do you cry?"
"He is Conan, Cimmerian. He won't cry... So I cry for him."
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2006 :  00:15:23  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Firstly, I like the Realms-specific aberrations like the alhoon, the elder orb, and the deepspawn (with their genius IQ the latter especially should be up to much more in the Realms!).

Secondly, I have some fondness for the Kir-lanan for several reasons. Not least, they haven't been used to death by anyone yet, so when I say they're actually the splintered soul of Bhaal looking for enough life-force to restore himself to full deity status, I don't have to worry about getting contradicted by a novel or game book.

After them... it's hard to say.
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2006 :  11:22:49  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

It's hard for me to say. I generally like any monster that can stand on it's own as an intelligent character (and interact meaningfully with protagonists) over monsters that are just there to be slaughtered.

I agree, but my favorite "monster" is the leucrotta. I have used them over the years (not that I'm old, mind you) to great success, and my players are now very wary when they are in a forested area and hear a small child weeping that they can't see. By the way, roll me a listen check...

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2006 :  23:35:20  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sanishiver

Ghazneths, Ghour Demons and Hishruu.

J. Grenemyer

Ghazneths? I personally consider them to be the *worst* FR monsters of all time... Troy really screwed up with them, and the whole "Scourges of Apocalyse"-theme... *grrrr* I have happily ignored the whole Ghazneth-episode in my Realms.

But to return to the topic: The Sharn and The Phaerimm are definitely my favorite FR monsters.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Lemernis
Senior Scribe

378 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  02:46:29  Show Profile  Visit Lemernis's Homepage Send Lemernis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After recently reading up on hobgoblins (i.e., the updated AD&D Monstrous Manual, Slayer's Guide to Hobgoblins, Dragon 309, and Tom Rinschler's write-up on Nomog-Geaya), I find their culture is far more nuanced and complex than I would ever have thought. This is a race that should have proliferated across the globe, and strangely has not. I'm drawn to the idea of exploring why not.

In general I'm more and more interested in bringing the cultures and societies of various monster races to life, and making them more interactive, rather than using them simply to provide canon fodder.

I think I'll always hold dragons in a kind of special regard. Whatever new species may come along they are sort of the 'grand old creatures' of the fantasy genre to me.
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  20:18:47  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

Ghazneths? I personally consider them to be the *worst* FR monsters of all time... Troy really screwed up with them, and the whole "Scourges of Apocalyse"-theme... *grrrr* I have happily ignored the whole Ghazneth-episode in my Realms.

But to return to the topic: The Sharn and The Phaerimm are definitely my favorite FR monsters.

Just what the heck are the ghazneths, anyway? I know they had something to do with Azoun's death, but beyond that I'm completely in the dark on them.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  22:48:31  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

quote:

It's hard for me to say. I generally like any monster that can stand on it's own as an intelligent character (and interact meaningfully with protagonists) over monsters that are just there to be slaughtered.

I agree, but my favorite "monster" is the leucrotta. I have used them over the years (not that I'm old, mind you) to great success, and my players are now very wary when they are in a forested area and hear a small child weeping that they can't see. By the way, roll me a listen check...

Yes, the idea of a "crying child" turning out to be a dangerous monster is very creepy.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  00:19:36  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Griffons have long been a favorite of mine, as well. Hippogriffs, not so much...

My love of griffons was part of what inspired one of the Hooks in Volume 6 of the Candlekeep Compendium.

I agree with you. Griffons and hippogriffs are underappreciated and underused. I would say the same for chimera

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Crust
Learned Scribe

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  01:43:22  Show Profile  Visit Crust's Homepage Send Crust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me, the Ityak-Ortheel (or Elf Eater) takes the cake. Every since its awful rampage in Coral Kingdom, I've been horrified by that behemoth. How very Lovecraftian with all its tentacles, the three trunk-like legs, the tortoise shell, the mouth with all the blades... It's hideous.

"That's right, hurl back views that force ye to think by name-calling - 'tis the grand old tradition, let it not down! Anything to keep from having to think, or - Mystra forfend - change thy own views!"

Narnra glowered at her father. "Just how am I to learn how to think? By being taught by you?"

"Some folk in the Realms would give their lives for the chance to learn at my feet," Elminster said mildly. "Several already have."

~from Elminster's Daughter, Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Exploit
Acolyte

Canada
47 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  16:44:10  Show Profile  Visit Exploit's Homepage Send Exploit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Add me to the list of Deepspawn fans. With their genius and cloning capability, Deepspawns should really be taking over the world and the gods themselves should be vying for the favor of these powerbrokers. My current Red Wizard character is trying to obtain a Deepspawn so that he can create many clones of himself. Imagine every 1d4 days another 17th level clone is created which he can then bind to his will. Soon he will have dozens of servants who can all cast Wish and similar spells! <insert evil laugh here>
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  19:06:31  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crust

For me, the Ityak-Ortheel (or Elf Eater) takes the cake. Every since its awful rampage in Coral Kingdom, I've been horrified by that behemoth. How very Lovecraftian with all its tentacles, the three trunk-like legs, the tortoise shell, the mouth with all the blades... It's hideous.

It certainly is horrible, and I've often wondered if it's ever been written anywhere as to just how/where Malar found it and bound it to his will. You'd think that if Malar wanted to kill some elves, he'd just send as aspect or avatar and do it with his own two claws.
Go to Top of Page

Besshalar
Learned Scribe

Finland
166 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  19:14:35  Show Profile  Visit Besshalar's Homepage Send Besshalar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm voting for deepspawns as well a monster that can use anyone it eats as a weapon is something that I see as a definite winner and endless possibilities...

The large print giveth , and the small print taketh away.
-Tom Waits
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  20:52:03  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Besshalar

I'm voting for deepspawns as well a monster that can use anyone it eats as a weapon is something that I see as a definite winner and endless possibilities...

Bet it gets really fun when a deepspawn eats a troll. "Fresh Troll livers -- they grow in you!"
Go to Top of Page

Exploit
Acolyte

Canada
47 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  21:29:38  Show Profile  Visit Exploit's Homepage Send Exploit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never seen a write-up on Deepspawn reproductive habits but I've always imagined that large Deepspawns eat little Deepspawns and then clone them to continue the race. Being able to pump out an adult Deepspawn every 1d4 days means that there could be as many of these creatures as they would like. I wonder what the statistics of a Deepspawn Swarm would be...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  00:05:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a little on the deepspawn in Monster of Faerun, though it doesn't focus particularly on the reproduction of such aberrations.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  00:19:43  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was a thread here in Candelkeep focus on the reproduction part.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8135

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  00:30:37  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Btw, from the August 8th and 10th, 2005 posts from THO, it leads me to believe there is no set number on how many clones a deepspawn can create.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Lemernis
Senior Scribe

378 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  02:00:08  Show Profile  Visit Lemernis's Homepage Send Lemernis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with what was said above about the leucrotta--mimicking human cries of distress is such an eerie way for a creature to trap prey. Great monster.

Some more favorites:

ogre-mage
satyr
warg
frost worm
death knight

Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  02:51:07  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

quote:

Yes, the idea of a "crying child" turning out to be a dangerous monster is very creepy.

Indeed, my lady. I also run a Ravenloft campaign on special occasions (like Halloween, Friday the 13th, etc.) and it's a pretty big deal for my players. And the crying child? Well, my players are now highly cautious of children.

If anyone is interested, here is a link of something I was doing on the Fraternity of Shadows boards (Ravenloft) for the Halloween event they had. I am Guardian of Twilight, btw...

http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3175

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document

Edited by - Penknight on 30 Dec 2006 03:54:19
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  10:06:10  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Btw, from the August 8th and 10th, 2005 posts from THO, it leads me to believe there is no set number on how many clones a deepspawn can create.

Okay Kuje, plz referer to original material if this info is true.

Edited by - Victor_ograygor on 30 Dec 2006 10:08:05
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  10:29:04  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite monster in the Realms is my party's wizard, Saiph Ti-Amon, he does more with less and still manages to throw a fireball every once in a while. And with his younger double running around now in my campaign the monster part is true enough.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  11:21:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Victor_ograygor

quote:

It is.

Here's the replies Kuje refers to:-

"On August 8, 2005 THO said: A Deepspawn duplicates a particular orc (or human, or whatever) it has devoured: endless copies of exactly the same creature. They "come alive" knowing their bodies and how to use them (a human trained with a longsword could use it just as before death), but without prior memories (wizards don't have memorized spells, and human copy A meeting human copy B might say: "You look a lot like my reflection in yon pool," but WOULDN'T immediately say: "Hey, you're me!"

If that helps. That's the way Ed (who created Deepspawn) has always run them, anyway. We Knights ran into quite a few of them.

love,
THO

On August 10, 2005 THO said: And so does Ed. He had a beholder colony (in a human castle) that had done just that, and kept deepspawn close-guarded in some of the lower chambers, spewing out endless weak young beholders to serve as guards, scouts ("want food? go hunt for it!") and ultimately as food for the more powerful senior beholders. The deepspawn had also eaten adventurers, and spewed THEM out as food (and the beholders used them as decoys, when later adventurers came exploring). Deadly.

love,
THO"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  17:28:19  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Victor_ograygor

quote:

Uh, I did give the references to the original material. THO's August 8th and 10th 2005 replies.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000