Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Lost Empires of Faerun
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2006 :  08:51:02  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
I'm testing this poll stuff so what do you think which of these civilizations was the most advanced in terms of power (magic, psionics, knowledge, war) if you cannot decide vote for the most interesting.

I vote for Miyeritar.

Choices:

Aryvandaar
Aryselmalyr
Jhaamdath
Shanatar
Imaskar
Unther or Mulhorand
Cormanthyr
Netheril
Shoon Empire
Illythiir
Miyeritar
Other (Nar/Raum,Yuireshanyaar, Uvaeren, Eaerlann, Genie Empires, Ostoria, earlier Creator races)

(Anonymous Vote)

Edited by - Marc on 02 Oct 2006 08:51:52

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2006 :  10:45:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My vote goes to Imaskar, the guys that were powerful enough to tell deities where to stick it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2006 :  13:08:36  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Wooly! Wizards that can stop deities from act in their affairs deserve a good attention.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2006 :  13:41:45  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I vote other...and chose the Sarukh...we only know a fraction of all the Creator Races but we know the Sarukh created the Nether scrolls, created at least a dozen races, rerouted an ocean...

I'm sure they were on par with the Imaskar...and probably could have woven a "mega-mythal" like the Imaskar did...but they were a pius (sp?) people

(the "mega-mythal" theory, that can of worms, was created in the Rage of Dragons series)

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2006 :  13:43:47  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went with Aryvandaar despite the fact that I would also like to say Imaskar. Them elves had some powerful stuff going on. Casting spells from their towers to ravage whole realms and changing the shap of Faerun.... (Did they have a hand in that?)

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2006 :  14:03:41  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage

I went with Aryvandaar despite the fact that I would also like to say Imaskar. Them elves had some powerful stuff going on. Casting spells from their towers to ravage whole realms and changing the shape of Faerun.... (Did they have a hand in that?)

do you mean the Sundering? that happened a century before Aryvandaar was founded

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Edited by - Kalin Agrivar on 02 Oct 2006 14:51:56
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2006 :  16:51:51  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most definitely Imaskar. Blocking deities from entering the crystal sphere is just powerful. Of course, capturing entire cultures from other worlds and transporting them to Faerun is also nothing to sneeze at either.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2006 :  17:11:50  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm torn between netheril, aryvandaar and imaskar.
The creator races didnt make the rage of dragon mythal... elves did.

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2006 :  20:10:31  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is not my field of expertise, but I would have to say the Imaskari.
Go to Top of Page

David E
Seeker

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2006 :  22:32:27  Show Profile  Visit David E's Homepage Send David E a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can't say that I'm terribly familiar with the Old Empires either, but from my reading of LEoF the Imaskari seem pretty powerful - transporting an entire civilization of humans to serve as slaves, creating portals as if they were no more than ordinary doors, doing battle with the avatars of immortal gods - seems pretty powerful to me.
Go to Top of Page

boards
Acolyte

Australia
33 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2006 :  10:51:26  Show Profile  Visit boards's Homepage Send boards a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gotta say the Imaskar. I would love to know more about them. When was the first mention of Imaskar. In Old Empires book they dont appear to exist.
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2006 :  11:09:38  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I say Imaskar As well, as the Imaskari were notably the first humans to grow in power strong enough to ape the elven magical might as well as to bar the deities, even though the origins of their power is unknown, this made them all the more powerful.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2006 :  18:32:23  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, I'm surprised how the Imaskari faction is prevalent (wonders about the power of that plague that decimated them, maybe not so powerful ...).

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2006 :  20:18:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maruluthu Mistrivvin

Wow, I'm surprised how the Imaskari faction is prevalent (wonders about the power of that plague that decimated them, maybe not so powerful ...).

I'm not a particular fan of them; it's just that they did some seriously impressive stuff.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2006 :  01:43:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I'm not a particular fan of them; it's just that they did some seriously impressive stuff.

Indeed.

I enjoy reading about the Imaskari, though I actually hold more love for Jhaamdath and the Shoon, than I do the Imaskari. Though, the Deep Imaskari are one of the few Underdark races that I've actually become quite interested in.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2006 :  04:20:41  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Imaskar would have to be my choice as well. But they are head to head with the elves...

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~
Go to Top of Page

Zimme
Learned Scribe

Denmark
209 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2006 :  13:30:51  Show Profile Send Zimme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All hail the magnificent Imaskari spellhurling, my vote goes to them.

Sometimes I feel like Beshaba is sitting on my back, devoting her entire attention to me!

Rannek.

Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2006 :  14:07:21  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beirnadri Magranth

I'm torn between netheril, aryvandaar and imaskar.
The creator races didnt make the rage of dragon mythal... elves did.

I don't disagree with anyone that the Imaskar weren't the most powerful of the "modern" ancient empires..they would be my vote...

But no one knows what the potential of the Progenator Races were/are, after all the Sarukh created the Nether Scrolls...and you see what they could do...and basically picking up a sea and dropping it on your foes as another example...no one knows the full extent of the Creator Races...

Additionally the old Scepter of the Sorcerer-Kings (a mega-artifact that could reproduce the "god-bane mythal" to one particular god multiple times)was an artifact created by the Netherese that was "blue-printed" by the Nether scrolls

The "god-bane mythal" of course is really impressive and so was the rage of dragon mythal (especially in 1E/2E) but IMO the 3E rules about casting an epic spell allows that if enough spellcasters are involved even the really high DC epic spells are managable (but thats another subject ) so relatively how impressive are those spells really

For the "god-bane mythal" I imagine almost every Imaskari spellcaster, from apprentice, involved in that one...I can only imagine if the full force of the Sarukh was eevr brought to bare...

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2006 :  01:55:42  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I only voted Netheril because I am biased. I know the creator races and the Imaskari were actually more powerful.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2006 :  08:56:43  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sorry that no one has voted for Aryselmalyr, this is my favourite campaign in 2E

Go to Top of Page

edbonny
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2006 :  21:52:32  Show Profile  Visit edbonny's Homepage Send edbonny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The plague (described as mysterious) need not have been powerful. When one scorns gods like the Imaskari did, one generally does not have access to cure disease or other healing magic.

- Ed
Go to Top of Page

Alediran
Acolyte

Argentina
36 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2006 :  22:00:24  Show Profile  Visit Alediran's Homepage Send Alediran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I go for Aryvaandar, the created lots of really powerfull mythals, like Waymeet and artifacts like the Gatekeeper Crystal.

Alediran of House Tir'ent from Evermeet, the most knowledgeable elven family about Faerūn.

- Member of the Elven Netbook proyect
Go to Top of Page

Drakul
Senior Scribe

USA
367 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  01:17:28  Show Profile Send Drakul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cormanthyr gets my vote. I love the Drow. Want to see more of them.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDonLNKf6_KA9Qlal3Qu3zQ?view_as=subscriber
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  08:52:00  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by edbonny

quote:

The plague (described as mysterious) need not have been powerful. When one scorns gods like the Imaskari did, one generally does not have access to cure disease or other healing magic.

- Ed

Yes, generally, but considering their intellect. Then the Imaskari must've been a closed up society, there are many other ways to cure disease (I mean planar assistance or abducting druids ...)

Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  09:11:21  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by edbonny

quote:

- Ed

Yes, generally, but considering their intellect. Then the Imaskari must've been a closed up society, there are many other ways to cure disease (I mean planar assistance or abducting druids ...)

when they had a godbane mystal do you think the gods was interesting in letting their diving magicks help them?

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  12:23:37  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was not saying anything about deity provided magic (druids don't need gods and if Imaskari traveled the planes they could have easily aquired services of variety of creatures who can use divine magic or have divine abilities).

And yes I think that there were gods interested in granting magic, they have their own plots, and who knows in which way some of them wanted to influence and manipulate imaskari directly or indirectly. The problem here was in the imaskari. Though I see no logic here, surely the most powerful imaskari were atheists, but did they promote and enforce this idea on all their citizens. If this is true, surely there would be many secret divine cults (that would be logical). Also the imaskari weren't alone in Faerun, what about foreign traders and travelers, also why the assumption that all their slaves were Mulan, what about slaves from other parts of Toril (Jhaamdathan interference here might be interesting) who worshipped other gods ...

Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  13:53:27  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I was not saying anything about deity provided magic (druids don't need gods and if Imaskari traveled the planes they could have easily aquired services of variety of creatures who can use divine magic or have divine abilities).

And yes I think that there were gods interested in granting magic, they have their own plots, and who knows in which way some of them wanted to influence and manipulate imaskari directly or indirectly. The problem here was in the imaskari. Though I see no logic here, surely the most powerful imaskari were atheists, but did they promote and enforce this idea on all their citizens. If this is true, surely there would be many secret divine cults (that would be logical). Also the imaskari weren't alone in Faerun, what about foreign traders and travelers, also why the assumption that all their slaves were Mulan, what about slaves from other parts of Toril (Jhaamdathan interference here might be interesting) who worshipped other gods ...

Just a reminder that many of the the Netherese were of the same mind..alot of wizards died because they refused divine healing and curing magics...

makes you wonder how hany the "vampiric touch" really was back then (Netheril and Imaskari)...maybe alot of the black necromancy spells that switch over conditions (poison, disease, damage, etc.) were developed due to the refusal to acknowledge the gods

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  17:28:39  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually,

All divine casters on Toril need a patron deity, except for certain amount of times when they are don't have one but sooner or later all divine casters choose a deity(ies) to get their spells from.

So, this list includes rangers, druids, clerics, favored souls, black guards, etc.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 12 Oct 2006 17:29:09
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  17:34:14  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Actually,

All divine casters on Toril need a patron deity, except for certain amount of times when they are don't have one but sooner or later all divine casters choose a deity(ies) to get their spells from.

So, this list includes rangers, druids, clerics, favored souls, black guards, etc.

What about Lossarwyn?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  17:35:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The problem here was in the imaskari. Though I see no logic here, surely the most powerful imaskari were atheists, but did they promote and enforce this idea on all their citizens.

They couldn't have been atheists. It's really hard to build a barrier against and do battle with something if you don't believe it exists. Kinda pointless, too.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  17:37:03  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Actually,

What about Lossarwyn?

I'm assuming you are talking about that guy in Champions of Ruin, right?

I asked Ed about this and he said what I said above. At times divine casters can go without a deity for a time, however sooner or later they will have to choose a deity again to get spells. However, there are times when some mortals do not always have deities but these are special events.

It's one of his July 13, 2005 replies.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 12 Oct 2006 17:40:42
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000