Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Lost Empires of Faerun
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  17:39:48  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kalin agrivar

Just a reminder that many of the the Netherese were of the same mind..alot of wizards died because they refused divine healing and curing magics...

makes you wonder how hany the "vampiric touch" really was back then (Netheril and Imaskari)...maybe alot of the black necromancy spells that switch over conditions (poison, disease, damage, etc.) were developed due to the refusal to acknowledge the gods

Yes I like the story of Chronomancer

Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  17:46:10  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Maruluthu Mistrivvin

The problem here was in the imaskari. Though I see no logic here, surely the most powerful imaskari were atheists, but did they promote and enforce this idea on all their citizens.

They couldn't have been atheists. It's really hard to build a barrier against and do battle with something if you don't believe it exists. Kinda pointless, too.

Not atheist but you know what I mean, ''Vhostym'' and ''Athar'' type of characters.

@Kuje, allright if Ed has said that though one sentence in the books says that Eldreth Veluuthra has many hopes in druidic magic (as the Seldarine rejects them), so they'll fail in the end.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2006 :  01:40:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

The problem here was in the imaskari. Though I see no logic here, surely the most powerful imaskari were atheists, but did they promote and enforce this idea on all their citizens.

They couldn't have been atheists. It's really hard to build a barrier against and do battle with something if you don't believe it exists. Kinda pointless, too.

Not atheist but you know what I mean, ''Vhostym'' and ''Athar'' type of characters.
I think that claiming the Imaskari to be "Athar-like" may be a little harsh. The Imaskari are said to have a deep distrust of priests and gods, though I doubt they would consider either of them frauds, simply because, as Wooly suggested above, its difficult to do battle against such aspects if you do not truly respect their power. Which is why we see the Imaskari going to great lengths to create spellwards and various arcane traps that will seriously affect divine magic within their cities and realms -- the Imaskari are protecting themselves against the threat and power of the divine and its magic.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2006 :  14:48:48  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well i voted for Imaskari as well i mean they were the top of their food chain lol however i have to say that its not fair to compair them to elves in general i mean thats an entire race. Thats like compairing all the elven Empires to 1 human empire. reguardless though i perfer the Jhaamdath, and shoon. The imaskari were a bit stuck on themselves, course when you can block gods i guess that happens, now would you call that a god complex?

"Develop the latent abilities within you for that is your power alone. Psionics is the ultimate art of magic and you are its practitioner. Through lifelong dedication, strive to unite your will with your physical form to become one. Only through the unrestrained union of one’s mind and body can the magic of psionics truly be mastered. Throw off the yoke of any who would impose tyranny upon you. Likewise, do not ever force another to submit to your will. Free your mind, free yourself and you have only just begun the path to true psionic mastery. Free others, open their minds to the Invisible Art, and you will show them way to Auppenser."
---Dogma of the Church of Auppenser
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2006 :  14:56:28  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VonRaventheDaring

Well i voted for Imaskari as well i mean they were the top of their food chain lol however i have to say that its not fair to compair them to elves in general i mean thats an entire race. Thats like compairing all the elven Empires to 1 human empire.

That is a good point...I didn't think of that

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2006 :  21:43:12  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which Gods were around during the rise of Imaskar? It was thousands of years before Nethril so I'd be reluctant to just go with the Gods worshipped by the Netherese. Was any one God in particular an enemy of or more feared by the Imaskar?
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2006 :  11:20:28  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There were old deities like Jergal, Shar, Selune, Chauntea, Talos, Mystryl, Amuantor etc. After the rise of Jhaamdath I think that their pantheon (opposes slavery) must have been feared enemies.

Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2007 :  17:45:58  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for Imaskar, not because they were able to defy gods, but because of their extradimensional magic. I bought "Lost Empires" to learn more of the Netheril Empire, in which I was very interested to that time, and then I stumbled over the Imaskar chapter and was stunned. The description of the tower and its surrounding in the little adventure in this chapter is so great. Having learned that there are survivors of this most ancient civilization, I next obtained "Underdark" to read more about Deep Imaskar.

quote:
Deep Imaskari consider buildings in which the interior isn't larger than the exterior a waste of space.

Priceless.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Ladejarl
Seeker

Norway
55 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2007 :  20:50:20  Show Profile  Visit Ladejarl's Homepage Send Ladejarl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Imaskar. As the Hamster said, to tell Gods where to stick it.

"There should be much less violence, and more nudity and kinkiness in the world."
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2007 :  22:19:11  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drakul

Cormanthyr gets my vote. I love the Drow. Want to see more of them.

Cormanthyr refers to the nation that Myth Drannor was part of, not the Drow that currently inhabit parts of it.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2007 :  22:21:19  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drakul

Cormanthyr gets my vote. I love the Drow. Want to see more of them.

You do know that Cormanthyr refers to Myth Drannor, right?

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2007 :  01:56:32  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My vote goes to Imaskar

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2007 :  05:15:07  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for Imaskar as well. Large ancient empire, portals to tons of places including quite a few alternate prime material planes, and the ability to limit the gods influence in the Realms. I know that the Sarukh had the potential to do amazing things, but they never completely dominated their rival creator races, and they tend to fall into the "hey, if it takes a few hundred thousand years to complete our goals, so be it" mindset, which means they act even more slowly than the elves do.

I imagine that they reason they fell prey to a plague is exactly because they had a disdain for the divine. Just like the Netherese fell victim to magic that was pushing the boudaries of what they could actually control. Its a logical, natural reason for such a powerful empire to fall.
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2007 :  22:25:07  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
my character hails from Nethril, so I am a little biased

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all
Go to Top of Page

Pharaun Mizzrym
Acolyte

Canada
34 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2007 :  01:12:45  Show Profile  Visit Pharaun Mizzrym's Homepage Send Pharaun Mizzrym a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pssssh Netheril of course
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2007 :  08:09:00  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really have not a clue as to really truely answer the question. Therefore I voted for my personal favorite - all praise to the stout folk!

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2007 :  08:18:46  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I chose Imaskar for several reasons:

I remember reading somewhere that they harnessed a great deal of their magic from study of the Phaerim (sp?) that they had captured? Not sure if that is accurate...but it does come to mind.

Their ability to thwart the Gods was at the top of the list of course.

Their spatial magic is just sweet...reminds me of the D&D cartoon where the kids meet the Celestial Knight who takes them to the tower that was bigger on the inside than on the outside (can't remember that skeletal dudes name).

The Imaskarcana sound really interesting...I would like to see all of them described.

On other topics, I see them perfectly able to use Divine magic without the need of gods. There is a particular prestige class that allows the theft of divine magic for the use of someone who has no divine patron. Its origin is in Greyhawk, but would be fully eligible in the FR since both worlds exist in the "reality" of D&D...especially since El and ol' Mordenkainen so often talked. The Ur Priest would be a way for an Arcane Society to steal magic from gods...and it would fit with the Imaskari abilities to defy the gods by blocking their ability to directly work in mortal society. Anyone else remember this prestige class?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

sirreus
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2007 :  15:33:58  Show Profile  Visit sirreus's Homepage Send sirreus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
netheril floating mountains and karsus. heavy magic and plane shifting an entire city. these guys rocked, and look at halrua today.

"The measure of an undisciplined mind, is that the intellect allows emotion to challenge the observed truth" Richard Baker
Go to Top of Page

Ateth Istarlin
Seeker

United Kingdom
80 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2007 :  13:35:21  Show Profile Send Ateth Istarlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for the Imaskari too!
(I'd much rather read about them returning than "the new empire of Netheril").

The more I read about 4FR, the more depressed I am.
Politician - An elected official who tries to be all things to all people, while always looking out for his/her own interests first.
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2007 :  19:09:26  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aryvandaar and Cormanthyr...

'Everyone dies...I only choose the time and place for a few.' --Eric Destler
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2007 :  20:57:17  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i voted for the Mulhorand

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Tigger
Acolyte

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2007 :  03:13:00  Show Profile  Visit Tigger's Homepage Send Tigger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Miyeritar, the pinnacle of Elven art and Magic. Also the source of much of Aryvandaar power if the most frequent theories of how the Nether scrolls got to where they were found by the Netherese is believed.
-Tig
Go to Top of Page

Eol
Acolyte

South Africa
7 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2007 :  11:27:53  Show Profile  Visit Eol's Homepage Send Eol a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would go with Aryvandaar. If I remember correctly they destroyed Miyeritar with the killing storm. Having access to magic that destroys a whole nation is quiet impressive. Also by making contracts with the planar forces like demons the Aryvandaar High Mages were able to cast High Magic (epic magic) with extremly high DCs and with less casters. Aryvandaar under the Vyshaanti dynasty also conquered all the other powerful elven realms in Faerun including the powerful Illythiir.

In my opinion Aryvandaar (not only because of the blow up whole nation spell) is stronger then Imaskar is that in the end Imaskar fell to avatars Mulhorand gods. If Aryvandaar had to fight godly avatars they could use the High Magic Ritual that imprison them (the spell is in Comanthor empire of the elves in the Elven High Magic section).

The only reason Aryvandaar Empire fell is because the Elves in the Aryvandaar Empire were commanded by the Elven court to repudiate their leaders the Vyshaanti.
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2007 :  17:49:54  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where can I find more info on Imaskar?

Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2007 :  19:47:12  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aravine

More information regarding the Imaskar can be found in Lost Empires of Faerun.

Not sure if they are featured in any other sourcebooks, if that's what you mean. Maybe someone else can answer that question.

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2007 :  23:20:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aravine

In addition to the aforementioned source, see Grand History of the Realms.

As well, the Horde boxed set.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2007 :  00:06:49  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And of course, there is a tome of lore in this very halls.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

RIMV
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2007 :  16:27:40  Show Profile  Visit RIMV's Homepage Send RIMV a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Underdark book also talks about the Imaskari as well.
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2007 :  16:58:32  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RIMV

The Underdark book also talks about the Imaskari as well.

yes but it is rather vauge(if that's how you spell it)

Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2007 :  17:02:03  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went with 'Other'. The Creator Races were the ones who first discovered and codified how to work magic, and they set the standard for everyone who came after.

BTW, the Sarrukh aside, who were the other Creator Races, and which 'modern' races are their descendants/heirs?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000