Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Races of... races in FR
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  14:28:38  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Are any of the new races in the forgotten realms yet, from the Races of line of products (Illumians, Goliaths and Raptorans)?? Has anyone tried them in the realms?

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  14:42:46  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Champions of Valor has some suggested places for the various new races to be from. Off hand, it ties Goliaths to Grumbar and Raptorans to Akadi, and one of the suggestions for Illumins has to do with them being a separate sect of wizards living on Nimbral.
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  17:16:23  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am currently playing a raptoran druid of Shaundakul from the Shaar. He's turning out to be a pretty cool character. I really like the goliath race as well, but I have yet to play one. As for the illumians, one of the guys in my group really likes that race and has played one once or twice. When he was running we had to deliver a relic to a cabal of illumians in Sigil.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  19:08:46  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

I am currently playing a raptoran druid of Shaundakul from the Shaar. He's turning out to be a pretty cool character. I really like the goliath race as well, but I have yet to play one. As for the illumians, one of the guys in my group really likes that race and has played one once or twice. When he was running we had to deliver a relic to a cabal of illumians in Sigil.

Does your raptoran use a footbow?

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  19:10:34  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Foot bow? OK I don't own the book, but you got me curious Alistair; how are they supposed to aim something like that?
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  19:11:53  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wasn't that impressed with any of the three "new" races...though I thought they were all presented well...I can see myself using the raptorian and goliath but I don't include the illumian in my campaigns (blah )

I do like the illumian PrC Loreseeker though

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  19:15:21  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always felt that the role of the Goliaths (Races of Stone is the only one I bought) was already largely covered by the giant-kin and ogres. The race was OK, but I felt no impulse to ever include them in the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  19:18:01  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

I always felt that the role of the Goliaths (Races of Stone is the only one I bought) was already largely covered by the giant-kin and ogres. The race was OK, but I felt no impulse to ever include them in the Realms.

I thought of that too...I would have had made them a big humanoid or monstrous humanoid type...other than their larger-than-human size there isn't really a "giantish" feel to them..IMO

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  19:21:45  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No they did not really feel like anything fitting in any of the"classic" D&D campaigns to me, except maybe Dark sun. They looked like miniature stone giants though, so if push came to shove and a player really wanted to use one I would make them some sort of descendants of these giants living somewhere isolated like the northern Anauroch or Tortured lands.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  19:55:29  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Foot bow? OK I don't own the book, but you got me curious Alistair; how are they supposed to aim something like that?

While they are hovering in the air I suppose...there is a picutre of a Raptoran pulling back on an arrow with a footbow in the book. It's...different.

Go to Top of Page

Snow
Learned Scribe

USA
125 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  20:08:08  Show Profile Send Snow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From a character optimization standpoints, you can pull off some neat game-mechanic tricks with Illumian sigils - especially for early spellcaster PrC entries.

As far as Goliaths go, you can make decent tanks as well.

In our FRCS campaign, we've been able to successfully integrate all 3 races into our world. The Illumians are gaining some traction down in Halruaa and Lantan. Which seems appropriate for such strong magic-based locales.
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2006 :  13:05:11  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have no current plans to try and incorporate them. If one of my players desperately wanted to play one then maybe I'd consider it and work something out.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2006 :  15:14:57  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Reefy

I have no current plans to try and incorporate them. If one of my players desperately wanted to play one then maybe I'd consider it and work something out.

Yeah same with me. Unless something I plan turns out that it would be better with one of these, then until then no current plans to introduce them even as NPCs (unlike the other classes)

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2006 :  17:24:03  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I second that...

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2006 :  20:08:42  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

quote:

I second that...

Yeah, a nice race but one that wasn't much needed. Ah well.

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2006 :  02:31:18  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kalin agrivar

I wasn't that impressed with any of the three "new" races...

I agree.

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000