Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 The real status of Orcus
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  02:48:22  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Aha!

Orcus is a possible pluton!!!

http://www.boston.com/news/science/articles/2006/08/16/nine_no_longer_panel_declares_12_planets/?page=2

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  02:53:45  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Aha!

http://www.boston.com/news/science/articles/2006/08/16/nine_no_longer_panel_declares_12_planets/?page=2

--Eric

I heard that on the news today!

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  03:00:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, that wasn't what I expected when I clicked on this thread.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  03:06:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Neither did I.

I was expecting another Eric-based interpretation for the status of Orcus -- which would've suited me just fine.

Though, I think I prefer this now.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  03:28:28  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a physics student, I'll just say that I'm going to wait another few months/years for the next declaration. ;)

Those silly astrophysicists need to make up their minds!

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  03:46:07  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree. I don't think I can call myself "pro-pluton" right now.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  04:24:55  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's like the whole "the panda is a bear, wait, raccoon, wait, bear, wait, raccoon, wait, bear!" debate. :)

Planescape Fanatic

"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  13:44:35  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Neither did I.

I was expecting another Eric-based interpretation for the status of Orcus -- which would've suited me just fine.

Though, I think I prefer this now.

Neither did I, too.

But maybe that is the origin of that old saying, "May Orcus fall upon thy heads!"

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  14:11:30  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We now can send someone to Orcus!

I wonder if the guy who named the planet(oid?) had too much BoVD to read while he was in the bathroom, it might have been inspirational...

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  15:05:35  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Orcus in Spelljammer!!!

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  15:14:36  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know...I think Orcus is more of a respectable name than Xena

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  15:22:08  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Detective Frank Drebin voice*

I knew it!

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  16:51:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know... Back when I was still on the WotC boards, there was a guy who kept starting "Orcus rules!" threads every couple of months. I'm betting he's loving the idea of a planet named Orcus.

Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  17:05:43  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hehe. I remember that guy.

Annoying, he was. And heck, I like Orcus. ;)

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  20:26:13  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

You know... Back when I was still on the WotC boards, there was a guy who kept starting "Orcus rules!" threads every couple of months. I'm betting he's loving the idea of a planet named Orcus.

Nightfall. :) He's still on my AIM list.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  10:05:40  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Aha!

--Eric

Heck, I might just rename my dog Orcus.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Aes Tryl
Learned Scribe

181 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  17:47:25  Show Profile  Visit Aes Tryl's Homepage Send Aes Tryl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOl lo and behold the Dark Lord of Terror from the Abyss the great Orcus. . .

Orcus: bark. . .bark. .
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  21:41:32  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This begs the question 'What do astrologers say about Orcus?'

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  22:36:26  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Retcon astrology, hurry!

... Sorry to any out there who follow it. I'm a bad, bad atheist.

Planescape Fanatic

Edited by - GothicDan on 18 Aug 2006 22:36:50
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  22:41:55  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Better they named it Orcus, they could have called it Lokus

and to understand this one...check out what it means...

http://dict.leo.org/ende?lp=ende&lang=de&searchLoc=0&cmpType=relaxed§Hdr=on&spellToler=on&search=lokus&relink=on

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2006 :  03:15:43  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

Retcon astrology, hurry!

... Sorry to any out there who follow it. I'm a bad, bad atheist.

I can't believe they are willing to retcon astronomy though.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2006 :  03:36:04  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can't really retcon science. Things were never 'always like this.' It's just that we change our definitions of things or learn new things, or both. :)

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2006 :  04:01:15  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You can't really retcon science. Things were never 'always like this.' It's just that we change our definitions of things or learn new things, or both. :)

That's what I mean...what's the rationale behind changing the definition of "planet"?

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11809 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2006 :  04:03:24  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmmm, wonder if there's any ghouls running around on it?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2006 :  04:59:47  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
That's what I mean...what's the rationale behind changing the definition of "planet"?

No clue. I wouldn't have done it. But, they're astrophysicists, so what do you expect? ;)

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2006 :  13:42:36  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

If I understand correctly, the reason for "changing" the definition of a "planet" is that there is no precise definition of a "planet." In other words, if Pluto qualified, then "Xena" (which is bigger than Pluto) and possibly 50 other Kuiper belt objects (most of which are believed to exist but have not yet been found) also qualified.

I believe the majority of astronomers wanted to come up with a definition by which the "classical" planets (including Pluto) still qualified but did not result in 50+ planets.

The solution is to define anything that is round (which implies a certain diameter) and primarily orbits the sun (i.e. not a moon) as a planet. Those of size Pluto or smaller are a subgroup of planets known as "plutons". Pluto, Charon, "Xena", and Ceres meet this criteria, but many additional plutons are suspected to exist.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2006 :  17:35:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The solution is to define anything that is round (which implies a certain diameter) and primarily orbits the sun (i.e. not a moon) as a planet. Those of size Pluto or smaller are a subgroup of planets known as "plutons". Pluto, Charon, "Xena", and Ceres meet this criteria, but many additional plutons are suspected to exist.

--Eric

That definition works for me -- especially if a diameter is specified. Round and orbiting the sun, instead of something else, should be a given. I don't see why astrologers are having a hard time coming up with a definition like this.

Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2006 :  18:02:22  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You mean astronomers* Wooly? ;)

(Here to be a pain!)

* If you don't, then I'll have to have a conversation with these astrologers as to who's doing the defining around here...

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2006 :  19:03:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You mean astronomers* Wooly? ;)

(Here to be a pain!)

* If you don't, then I'll have to have a conversation with these astrologers as to who's doing the defining around here...

Yeah, them too!

But speaking of astrologers (inadvertent though it may be), won't adding more planets screw with how they do things? Or do they just go by the visibile ones?

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 19 Aug 2006 19:04:40
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2006 :  19:13:55  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

But speaking of astrologers (inadvertent though it may be), won't adding more planets screw with how they do things? Or do they just go by the visibile ones?

That was my question too.

I'm sure they'll wait for the final decision then take it from there. After all, they now take into account the movements of Pluto when compiling horoscopes.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2006 :  19:22:09  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That definition works for me -- especially if a diameter is specified. Round and orbiting the sun, instead of something else, should be a given.

The diameter requirement is implicit. Apparently you have to have a sufficient mass to create a spherical object. Given that most planets are composed of rock and water, a sufficient diameter implies sufficient mass to be a spherical object. Something like that. The number 429 miles sticks in my head, but I might be wrong there.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000