Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Elminster of Waterdeep???
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  22:38:10  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I just started reading Prophet of Moonshae, and it mentions a book on the wars of the sword coast written by Elminster of Waterdeep...

Did good ole El ever live in Waterdeep for a longer time? Or is this just one of the things TSR editors missed back in the 90s? Not that they miss less now...

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  23:15:20  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elminster isn't a totally rare name in Faerun, if I remember correctly. :)

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD

Edited by - GothicDan on 13 Aug 2006 23:15:33
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  23:41:22  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IIRC, *the* Elminster once did live in Waterdeep.

I still think using that name for other NPCs is asking for trouble, though, considering all the confusion it causes.

Would you really take a random drow named "Drizzt" that seriously? Would you be able to think of him without thinking of THE Drizzt?

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  01:15:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

Elminster isn't a totally rare name in Faerun, if I remember correctly. :)

Aye.

Actually, the 2e FR boxed set goes into this somewhat.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  02:36:18  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And beware of using famous persons' names to try and add mettle to your own work - see Elminster's Choice for more details.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

FridayThe13th
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  02:52:22  Show Profile  Visit FridayThe13th's Homepage Send FridayThe13th a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They might have confused his with Khelben "Blackstaff" Arusun, the other big wizard in the realms.

But more likely Elminster of Waterdeep is just named after the famous one. Still, I do find it funny that the authors, out of all the names in the realms, would give him a name that is akin to that of possibly the most famous NPC in the Realms.

"The Lady of Pain? You mean Loviatar runs this place?"
-- Torilian Prime

"You guys should seriously rename yourselves The Horny Society, you popularity would soar."
-- A miscillaneous Kender to a member of the Horned Society
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  02:58:20  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
.. How do you confuse Khelben with Elminster?

And there's a LOT of big wizards in the Realms. :)

Planescape Fanatic

"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

FridayThe13th
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  03:02:09  Show Profile  Visit FridayThe13th's Homepage Send FridayThe13th a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

.. How do you confuse Khelben with Elminster?

And there's a LOT of big wizards in the Realms. :)

Its quite easy. Just point out any old, bearded wizard in Waterdeep(and there are a lot) and say he is Elminster. A commoner in the Realms could hardly make the distinction

-- Torilian Prime

"You guys should seriously rename yourselves The Horny Society, you popularity would soar."
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  03:18:11  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, neither Khelben nor Elminster are really 'known' in Faerun. Well, maybe Khelben somewhat, but not old El. :)

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

FridayThe13th
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  03:23:06  Show Profile  Visit FridayThe13th's Homepage Send FridayThe13th a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, neither Khelben nor Elminster are really 'known' in Faerun. Well, maybe Khelben somewhat, but not old El. :)

But what they do know about El is that he is an old, bearded wizard, nothing more. So they would easily think that any old bearded wizard calling himself El is actually him.

-- Torilian Prime

Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  03:34:26  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
... Not everyone would know who he is, though.

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  03:46:32  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

I just started reading Prophet of Moonshae, and it mentions a book on the wars of the sword coast written by Elminster of Waterdeep...

Did good ole El ever live in Waterdeep for a longer time? Or is this just one of the things TSR editors missed back in the 90s? Not that they miss less now...

Elminster has actually been to the Moonshae isles his travels are detailed in the old Moonshae accesory

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  05:36:41  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hes old, he has a beard and is a mage. There are a few others of those as well, I don't think there to much of a chance that its a mix-up of Elminster and Khelben.
As have been said, the names of Faerun are not unique for the individual; the reason we only see them as such in products is to keep the reader from getting confused. The fact that the character in question is named Elminster of Waterdeep shows that this is another person with the same name, not the sage of Shadowdale.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  08:55:12  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

IIRC, *the* Elminster once did live in Waterdeep.

I still think using that name for other NPCs is asking for trouble, though, considering all the confusion it causes.

Would you really take a random drow named "Drizzt" that seriously? Would you be able to think of him without thinking of THE Drizzt?

Maybe it was him who wrote the book. I just stumbled over the thingy. If El did live in Waterdeep for a time then it's probably him.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

FridayThe13th
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  01:17:55  Show Profile  Visit FridayThe13th's Homepage Send FridayThe13th a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or we can take the realistic, reasonable explanation and say it was a typo or printing error. Maybe they accidentally out Elminster when they actually intended to put someonelse. Who knows? Elminster is always on the minds of the minds of FR, so they could have easily made the error.

-- Torilian Prime

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  01:23:47  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elminster did live in Waterdeep for a time - after the fall of Myth Drannor and before his move to Shadowdale. It was during this time that he studied with Arkhon the Old, recently given life by Ed in his replies here at Candlekeep.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  10:04:53  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is quite possible that the Elminster in question is the sage of Shadowdale, or it could be a completely different person by the same name. I don't think its a mistake by author or editor. There's also the possibility of it being an other writer using the Elminster name to get attention, but the "of Waterdeep" bit makes me doubt that. There isn't a single one of these possibilities that stands out as more probable than the others.

Anyone know a contact to Doug Niles so we can ask him if he remembers who he meant the author to be?
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  11:33:50  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could try...but I'd prolly complain more about the horrid German used in "Fox on the Rhine"

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  11:44:02  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I could try...but I'd prolly complain more about the horrid German used in "Fox on the Rhine"

Sounds like an alternative the Sweet song.

It would be interesting to get some sort of update on the Moonshaes in one form or the other. As the books were behind the timeline when published (or rather, the timeline was put before the books) there is quite a time span we have not heard about in the islands.

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  12:20:10  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dunno how well the Moonshae books sold or sell. Admittedly, the first trilogy got more compelling at the end, but ... well, I just don't know.

Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  14:32:05  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Elminster did live in Waterdeep for a time - after the fall of Myth Drannor and before his move to Shadowdale. It was during this time that he studied with Arkhon the Old, recently given life by Ed in his replies here at Candlekeep.

-- George Krashos

If memory serves me right (I don't have the FR Timeline with me right now), Elminster moved to Shadowdale in 1350 DR (or thereabouts), so he has not been "of Shadowdale" all that long - heck, it's even a surprise that he's currently known as "of Shadowdale", after having spent so much time elsewhere .

And the FR2 - Moonshaes supplement detailed events and NPCs from well before the first Moonshae trilogy (which took place 1345 - 1346 DR). Which, personally, I have always found one of the oddest things - much of the lore in the supplement was, from the point of viez of the then-timeline, invalid as it was published - the Ffolk Kingdoms had been united under a new High King, several of the NPCs in described in the supplement were quite dead (a couple of the Northmen kings come to mind...).
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  14:51:35  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is that...in the second trilogy the Earthmother is reinstated if the backcover is any indication, which still doesn't bring back some of the corpses...

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  15:19:59  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There is that...in the second trilogy the Earthmother is reinstated if the backcover is any indication, which still doesn't bring back some of the corpses...

Note: TSR could never decide if she really was reinstated or if she was just an aspect of Chauntea. 2E books go back and forth about this and WOTC kept it that she wasn't a seperate deity but an aspect of Chauntea even though the Moonshae trilogies say something different, as does 1 or 2 other 2e sourcebooks.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 15 Aug 2006 15:20:31
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  15:48:30  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The problem with the aspect part is that it really doesn't mix well with the storylines. Not that another deity really matters in the mix...

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  16:07:17  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The problem with the aspect part is that it really doesn't mix well with the storylines. Not that another deity really matters in the mix...

I know. :( Which is why I kept it that she is a seperate deity since that made more sense to me because the Moonshea trilogies say she is a seperate deity, and as I said, so does one or two other sourcebooks.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  16:22:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

Note: TSR could never decide if she really was reinstated or if she was just an aspect of Chauntea. 2E books go back and forth about this and WOTC kept it that she wasn't a seperate deity but an aspect of Chauntea even though the Moonshae trilogies say something different, as does 1 or 2 other 2e sourcebooks.

I tend to keep the aspect of the Earthmother separate, for the most part. This is mostly to acknowledge the original set up for the relationship in the trilogy... but also, because of the actual non-Realms origin of the Moonshaes.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  17:17:45  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I allways saw the "Earthmother is an aspect of Chaunthea" as a logic used by people of the mainland to explain the unknown goddess, much as one saw among the Romans towards the gods of other peoples.

As to how well the Moonshae books sold; WOtC did re-print them so they must at least have had a hope of them selling.
Go to Top of Page

ode904
Learned Scribe

Finland
193 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2006 :  21:51:52  Show Profile Send ode904 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This quite confusing topic is going a bit off-topic... Elminster isn't a totally rare name in the Realms? A new thing to me. I would be a bit worried if I'd confuse elminster with khelben;). But yes, these kinds of mistakes like this ''Elminster of Waterdeep'' maybe a bit difficult. I would take care not to create more Elminsters:)...
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2006 :  22:15:48  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When it comes to naming in any gaming product clarity goes before logic as logic is seldom clear and easy. That each persons name in the realms is unique is unrealistic, but if there were seventeen Elminsters, three Semmemons and a dozen Dousts it would get confusing for those getting into the realms.

In the 1ed. campaign setting (I believe) Elminster was used as an example of names that could be found several places, I still believe this Elminster of Waterdeep was a result of this.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2006 :  22:31:21  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
TSR also didn't like to reuse names because they had a theory that it would confuse people to much. Ed's discussed it a few times, so rarely did you see an NPC that had the same name as another NPC. I still love Elfinster from Zakhara who left Shadowdale because he kept being confused with Elminster.

I believe that some of the names in FR are reused a lot. I mean look at Earth, how many people do you see named after Saints, etc.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2006 :  22:32:10  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
FR0C p. 7:
quote:
For example, there may well be an Elminster the Barber, or Elminster of Waterdeep, but the reference of "Elminster" (or even the more modest "Elminster the Sage") refers to the advisor without peer who resides in Shadowdale.

quote:
Originally posted by Thauramarth
If memory serves me right (I don't have the FR Timeline with me right now), Elminster moved to Shadowdale in 1350 DR (or thereabouts), so he has not been "of Shadowdale" all that long - heck, it's even a surprise that he's currently known as "of Shadowdale", after having spent so much time elsewhere .
That's when he retired there permanently, but he may have been associated with Shadowdale before.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000