Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Top 50 Spellcasters "Alive" In Faerun
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2011 :  14:27:57  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Karsus was a jerk. He allways talked about him being the greatest, the wisest and so on. He would have never admitted someone else being more powerfull than him and in the triolgy the only source about his greatnes his what he says about himself and what others in his enclave think about him. Never what other archwizards say about him.

And he took the war serious because he made hell of a lot preparations for it and was looking foward to prove everyone else that he is the greatest. Which failed obviously.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2011 :  14:35:39  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Never did an archwizard admit one is more powerful than s/he is---their haughtiness and vanity would not allow them to. So of course, you wouldn't hear a single archwizard saying Karsus was the most powerful among them...

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2011 :  14:46:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Same thing. He vanished before the Fall. That's too unlikely to be a coincidence.

That's like saying that if someone leaves their house and it catches fire and burns to the ground an hour later, it's not a coincidence.

All we know is that Ioulam wasn't home when Karsus tried out for the position of God of Fools. We don't have enough info to assume anything else.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2011 :  15:00:52  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Same thing. He vanished before the Fall. That's too unlikely to be a coincidence.

That's like saying that if someone leaves their house and it catches fire and burns to the ground an hour later, it's not a coincidence.

Ioulaum is not just someone. He's an archwizard of prodigious strength. He would know things no common people ever would. As for the other archwizards who perished...well, we can say they were not as powerful and as clever as Ioulaum and Larloch. Or to simply put it, TSR didn't think them significant.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2011 :  15:09:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Ioulaum is not just someone. He's an archwizard of prodigious strength. He would know things no common people ever would. As for the other archwizards who perished...well, we can say they were not as powerful and as clever as Ioulaum and Larloch. Or to simply put it, TSR didn't think them significant.

Actually, I'd say a combination of the two positions here, may be somewhat closer to the truth. Perhaps Ioulaum was off doing "archwizardy" things -- and it was just pure coincidence that he was absent during the Fall.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2011 :  15:13:26  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

All we know is that Ioulam wasn't home when Karsus tried out for the position of God of Fools. We don't have enough info to assume anything else.

The info in the sourcebook points to his fame and the interference it had on his research being the reason for leaving.

Ioulaum's position and standing with the populace lead to them looking to him for the answers to everything and taxing his time. Thus he retreated to his hidden lair to continue his work in solace.

There was never any indication that he would take it upon himself to face Karsus in single combat to stop him. Even if he wanted to, he would first need to get to him or Karsus to Ioulaum to face off. A feat beyond either of them short of conquering the opposing enclave in an all out war. You could not simply teleport over to another enclave without permission and face off against their leader. It was impossible.

Edited by - Firestorm on 23 Jan 2011 15:14:11
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2011 :  15:14:55  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

They are hardly the only Archwizards to survive the fall. Literally hundreds of them survived.
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2011 :  15:23:50  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

quote:

The spell was allowed to happen because he vanished. Not vice versa. Ioulaum's disappearance during the war with the phaerimm moved the high mages into telling Karsus to do it.

It does not really matter. Nobody can stop another from casting a spell on a whim, or simply fly up to their enclave and stop them easily. Spellguards, wards and Mythallars prevent even the strongest of mages from simply teleporting over and saying "you can't cast that!". Saying "if he could have stopped him, he would have" is illogical in the sense of 1 on 1 combat. No 1 wizard can possibly march through an army of other archwizards to get to the head of a conclave and stop him from casting a spell.

In any case, if you want to read a full accounting of that in novel form, it is in the novel "Dangerous games" Arcane age series book 2.

I already read that book.

You made it sound that Ioulaum was the reason Karsus cast his avatar spell. 'Tis the phaerimm that's the reason.

Below is taken from Dangerous Games scene where Karsus told Candlemas his ultimate goal:

quote:

"Oh, I decided now's as good a time as any." Karsus waved vaguely toward the fallen star as he said, "My helpers think all is ready—not that they really understand what I plan...

And I'm tired of being human. So I'll become an avatar, which is a being created from a god's body, in case you don't know. Karsus's avatar, named after myself. I figure to sit on the star, imagine myself ascending to godhood, and draw all the remaining energy through my spine into my brain."

Karsus decided (see the highlighted line above) on what time he would cast the avatar spell at a mere whim, not because Ioulaum vanished.

And that book is in part conflict with some of the canon info provided by sourcebooks.

In either case, it seems like the point you are trying to make(I could be wrong) is that Karsus was more powerful because Ioulaum did not try to stop him, which is just hypothetical.

The Phaerimm were the reason obviously. But Ioulaum's disappearance was also a big push for Karsus to cast the spell because Ioulaum was so instrumental in everything in the empire, and they panicked when he vanished. Having the most powerful known Archwizard, who was 2944 years old disappear during a time of crisis has an effect on the populace. Karsus at age 357, while genius level and probably considered as powerful as Ioulaum, just did not have the fame and influence Ioulaum did.

In any case, this has been queried to Ed many times and is always brushed off as NDA. It is one of those cases where the DM decides.

Edited by - Firestorm on 23 Jan 2011 15:26:05
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2011 :  15:39:07  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Even if he wanted to, he would first need to get to him or Karsus to Ioulaum to face off. A feat beyond either of them short of conquering the opposing enclave in an all out war. You could not simply teleport over to another enclave without permission and face off against their leader. It was impossible.

Karus could have killed Ioulaum had he heeded Candlemas's advice. Below is a scene form Dangerous Games.

quote:

"Time, milord, time! Consider this: if you could reach back in time the same way you grabbed the fallen star, and the barbarian and mysel —you could seize Ioulaum when he's just beginning his magic research! If you dragged him here, you could imprison him! He'd never become a great mage, one they whisper is almost as great as you. He'd never create the flying enclave of Ioulaum, and you'd have won the war without ever leaving this room! You'd be the most famous of this, and every other epoch in the empire!

Due to his arrogance, and twisted certainty that his avatar spell would work, he dismissed the pudgy wizard's suggestion. Below is the continuation of their conversation.

quote:

"I must tell you, dear Carpalmen, that you're a clever fellow, but a mere birdbrain compared to He Who Knows Everything and Tells Naught."

"He Who—?"

"Me!" Karsus beamed. "Because what you've outlined is fine, but I've conceived a true ultimate weapon!"

Candlemas felt faint and cold, as if all his blood had run out his feet. Pockall's Hex, what now? Calm as possible, he asked the source of this ultimate weapon.

"Myself!" Karsus cried and slapped his chest, giggling so hard he almost fell over.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2011 :  15:40:23  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Karsus's time spell could have easily erased Ioulaum from history.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2011 :  16:08:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

In which case someone might have taken his place and done exactly the same things Ioulaum did.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2011 :  16:11:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Assuming, of course, that the time-stream works that way. And there's no evidence to prove that it does.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2011 :  16:17:25  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

In which case someone might have taken his place and done exactly the same things Ioulaum did.

Fair enough.

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2011 :  16:37:09  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember Ioulaum had some business in the swamp and left Karsus to his delusions, he had a feeling Netheril was doomed sooner or later, the decadence was too great
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2011 :  16:44:41  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a pretty brilliant counter, Wooly. You reminded me of what I did to some of my characters.

Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2011 :  17:20:48  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Or in which case, the world would never have known Mythallar's, and Karsus would not have been what he had been, being forced to work with lesser tools and learn things Ioulaum invented on his own.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2011 :  00:43:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Or in which case, the world would never have known Mythallar's, and Karsus would not have been what he had been, being forced to work with lesser tools and learn things Ioulaum invented on his own.

I think the properties of mythallars would've been discovered eventually. The concept of a magic battery isn't that impossible for other master arcanists to conceive.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2011 :  00:45:54  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Karus would have discovered them, or someone else would.

Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2011 :  08:32:05  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Karsus may not even have been born.

And there is a good chance that the specific spell Karsus used to get the stone only worked on the stone.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2011 :  23:12:32  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe. But most likely he'd have a contingency for that. I'd be happy if he'd be reborn as a less mad archwizard. He'd be doubly far dangerous by then.

Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2011 :  23:56:56  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I submit that there are more Karsus clones awaiting out there,
and that they are just waiting for the soul to escape the
Dire Wood.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2011 :  00:28:42  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clones? That's fine as long as they are all nigh-indestructible, unlike the Roach's feeble clones that got easily obliterated almost every time Elminster or an archlich threw a spell at it.

Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2011 :  02:17:42  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, non-living clones have no protection other that
what the caster protects it with. Witness what happen
to the Karsus cloan in Temp of El.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2011 :  03:11:15  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I'm talking about "when the clone becomes active," it should not be pathetically weak.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2011 :  03:43:03  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm talking about "when the clone becomes active," it should not be pathetically weak.

Well to be fair.....by the time you get fried and then your essence goes into your clone, your spell roster will be pretty small....hence Manshoon's walk of shame through Zhentil Keep

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2012 :  04:27:26  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

That's why should Karsus use clones, I'd prefer that he'd use more advanced ways to make sure his clones are nearly as powerful as his "original" self. I don't want to see more cockroaches in the Realms. One (Manshoon) is already enough. More than enough.

Speaking of clones, had Manshoon got that idea from the multiple phyllacteries of Aumvor (who predates the former)? Clones and phyllacteries are hardly the same, yet they share one purpose: to have multiple copies of one's self.

Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2012 :  14:38:54  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's why should Karsus use clones, I'd prefer that he'd use more advanced ways to make sure his clones are nearly as powerful as his "original" self. I don't want to see more cockroaches in the Realms. One (Manshoon) is already enough. More than enough.

Speaking of clones, had Manshoon got that idea from the multiple phyllacteries of Aumvor (who predates the former)? Clones and phyllacteries are hardly the same, yet they share one purpose: to have multiple copies of one's self.

Well, the purpose is more or less continued existence without fear of death. Should they get captured it could become a curse lol.

Assuming of course that the original Manshoon isn't puppet mastering all these lesser clones from a crypt.
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2012 :  14:59:23  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Manshoon puppet masters some, but only to the extent to push a clone in a general
direction, not as a micromanager.
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2012 :  04:15:53  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

I think Manshoon puppet masters some, but only to the extent to push a clone in a general
direction, not as a micromanager.

Well, it was just that old NDA question/Theory on whether the real Manshoon was a puppetmaster nobody knows about on a level with the Elminsters and Larloch's of the realms.
Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2012 :  07:16:42  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope WOTC uses the existing archmages that the Realms already has rather than spinning new ones. The Realms is rich in arcane magic and its users and it seems such a shame to leave many of them NDA or just plain lurching in the dark. NDA's are good and all but too many of them just makes a bit of a mess( at least to me it does)

Everything ends where it begins. Period.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000