Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 the Movers and Shakers of Faerun... all the same?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

kaeso
Acolyte

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  19:12:33  Show Profile  Visit kaeso's Homepage Send kaeso a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I do not know a great deal about the history of Faerun, but at first glance it seems to me that most of the "movers and shakers" of Faerun are all humans, elves, or part elves. Where are the dwarves, halflings and gnomes?

Great literature is escapist, but it changes you, and you come back to your world with new eyes. D&D is the first game that's ever done that for me.
-Sumana Harihareswara

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  19:43:12  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dwarves, halflings and gnomes have always been the second-string races of the Realms...

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  19:58:12  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The gnomes are considered the "forgotten folk" in Faerûn because of their attitude of never fall in the desire of build great empires, marvelous civilizations, etc.

It´s a racial attitude that have served well for them, until now.

The halflings could be stated as the gnomes...

For the dwarves, we are still waiting for an author-hero of the dwarven people, that will give us a good sourcebook.

Dwarves of Faerûn.... sounds good

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  20:32:31  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The dwarven civilizations are as important, by most measures, as the elven.

And don't ignore the dragons, giants, orcs, demons and devils...

Of course, this is the 'big man', 'macroscopic events' theory of history, at which halflings and gnomes shrug or chuckle sadly. The 'real people's lives' kind of history is different.

Edited by - Faraer on 09 Aug 2006 20:34:50
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  20:50:06  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

The dwarven civilizations are as important, by most measures, as the elven.

And don't ignore the dragons, giants, orcs, demons and devils...

Of course, this is the 'big man', 'macroscopic events' theory of history, at which halflings and gnomes shrug or chuckle sadly. The 'real people's lives' kind of history is different.

I didn't mean second string in the Realms/game world..I was thinking more in the real designers/writers world

in my opinion the dwarves have done more to steadily influence Realms history in a wide-ranging manor with trade, invention, holding back the humanoid hordes, etc.

while the elves impact on the world is more like quiet non-involvement then short bursts of radical change...unfortunately more often in a negative way as a positive way (i.e. the Sundering, the Crown Wars) when it is wide-ranging manor

* waiting for the flaming from the elf super-fans to begin hee hee *

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  20:59:40  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the focus on elven people, both elves and drow since the late 90's, a bit to much for my taste. It has come to the point that it sometimes feels like elves and humans are about all we hear about. I know that is an exaggeration, but it feels like the other races are pushed more and more into the background.

One problem may be the changes done to gnomes and haflings lately. Most of the older lore on these are drastically changed by the 3ed reworking of these peoples and they have not been reestablished as I see it. I prefer the old gnomes and haflings anyway, but there has been so little said that i still have a bit of a problem when envisioning the new gnomes and hin in the realms.
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  22:24:34  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And remember... The Dwarves tend to live in areas that just don't really interact with the surface world as much. Namely, underground. Which is the same reason why the Avariels and Aquatic Elves have little influence on the surface world of Faerun as we know it.

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  00:10:24  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as "air time" goes (in our world, not the actual Realms), I'd have to agree that dwarves, gnomes, and halflings get the short end of the stick.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  00:11:43  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

And remember... The Dwarves tend to live in areas that just don't really interact with the surface world as much. Namely, underground.

So do the drow, yet look at all the focus on them as far as marketing goes.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  00:11:56  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That, I do agree with. :)

Planescape Fanatic

"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

FridayThe13th
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  01:39:44  Show Profile  Visit FridayThe13th's Homepage Send FridayThe13th a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

And remember... The Dwarves tend to live in areas that just don't really interact with the surface world as much. Namely, underground.

So do the drow, yet look at all the focus on them as far as marketing goes.

That is just because of one certain overemotional drow I just can't seem to name right now...

As for racial focus, I think pretty much all the races are somewhat involved in its hstory, the human focus is nothing new, they do that in nearly all books.

The only race I would like to see more of are the halflings. I would love to see them take a kender-like role in FR, it will certainly make things more interesting.

The gnomes... I would prefer to stay isolated. We don't need no Tinkers in the Realms.

"The Lady of Pain? You mean Loviatar runs this place?"
-- Torilian Prime

"You guys should seriously rename yourselves The Horny Society, you popularity would soar."
-- A miscillaneous Kender to a member of the Horned Society
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  01:50:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FridayThe13th

The gnomes... I would prefer to stay isolated. We don't need no Tinkers in the Realms.

Though Faerûnian gnomes do have a tendency towards mechanical aptitude, they are not the tinker gnomes of Krynn. To think of them as such is to do them a disservice.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  01:52:29  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That is just because of one certain overemotional drow I just can't seem to name right now...

That may be WHY the drow are so popular, but what really matters to me is that they are popular (and that we see so much drow on a regular basis).

quote:

Gnomes need not be tinkers.

Go to Top of Page

FridayThe13th
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  01:55:38  Show Profile  Visit FridayThe13th's Homepage Send FridayThe13th a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

That may be WHY the drow are so popular, but what really matters to me is that they are popular (and that we see so much drow on a regular basis).

quote:

Gnomes need not be tinkers.

Yeah, you could always go with the Greyhawk bard gnome, but the idea of a gnomish bard just seems, weird, to me. Maybe its just because I have read too much DL and seen to much tinker gnomes to even consiter gnomes as anything else.

"The Lady of Pain? You mean Loviatar runs this place?"
-- Torilian Prime

"You guys should seriously rename yourselves The Horny Society, you popularity would soar."
-- A miscillaneous Kender to a member of the Horned Society
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  02:13:13  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the Svirfneblin a lot, myself.

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  02:18:24  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah, you could always go with the Greyhawk bard gnome, but the idea of a gnomish bard just seems, weird, to me. Maybe its just because I have read too much DL and seen to much tinker gnomes to even consiter gnomes as anything else.

Uhh, gnomes need not be bards, either...

Try to use your imagination a little.

Go to Top of Page

Aes Tryl
Learned Scribe

181 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  02:54:36  Show Profile  Visit Aes Tryl's Homepage Send Aes Tryl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah but the point is despite the fact that dwarves are suppossed to be almost up there with the elves in terms of empire building, they seriously get the very very short end of the stick, we don't really know that much about the fallen dwarven empire of Delzoun which was only what 900-1200 years ago. . . but everyone seems to be an expert on the Crown Wars which happenned around 10 millenia ago. . .

Edited by - Aes Tryl on 10 Aug 2006 02:55:33
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  03:15:54  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I personally haven't read Dwarves Deep, so, there ya' go. :)

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

kaeso
Acolyte

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  03:51:34  Show Profile  Visit kaeso's Homepage Send kaeso a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But even though the gnomes and halflings are not big empire builders (which I'm not quite sure I like flavor-wise), why are there not more gnomish and halfling heroes? And what about the dwarves? You need not be born in a large empire to have an affect on the world around you. When people pick their races, they often base their D&D characters off their favorite novel characters. That's why there's so many drow PC's out there. I say the writers at least give gnomes, halflings and dwarves a chance to shine in the novels! END THE DISCRIMINATION! VIVA LA REVOLUTION!

Great literature is escapist, but it changes you, and you come back to your world with new eyes. D&D is the first game that's ever done that for me.
-Sumana Harihareswara

Edited by - kaeso on 10 Aug 2006 03:52:38
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  04:04:57  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Uh. LotR sort of gave halflings and dwarves a chance, at least, to be 'cool,' if people wanted to base their characters off of novel characters. Obviously the majority of people (as far as we can tell from nebulous sales reports) prefer humans and elves.

I really don't like halflings at all, personally. Gnomes, cool, Dwarves, okay... Halflings, bleh.

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

kaeso
Acolyte

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  04:28:08  Show Profile  Visit kaeso's Homepage Send kaeso a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True, but that is only the LotR. There is more than the LotR out there, and overall the fiction focuses on humans and elves. Besides, LotR had grumpy dwarves, and no one likes to play someone who is grumpy. Horrible stereotype. Also, what about the gnomes? They have been left behind. Also also, halflings are cool

-Sumana Harihareswara
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  04:45:23  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What we consider 'grumpy' may not be considered such among the Dwarves. I don't understand the point in wanting to be a member of a race only to specifically oppose their general personality/culture.

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Torkael
Acolyte

39 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  05:38:23  Show Profile  Visit Torkael's Homepage Send Torkael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Uhh, gnomes need not be bards, either...

Try to use your imagination a little.

Gnomish barbarian tribes? Or liches maybe?

"No, I will not create a song dedicated to dancing dwarves. Especially dwarves worshipping Eilistraee." - Tenasa the bard
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  06:55:58  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's some imagination you have there. ;)

A gnomish lich? That's a cool idea.

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  09:04:03  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would want an eventual novel hero of the short races to go in exact the opposite direction. I want to see a typical gnome, hafling or Faerunian dwarf. Gnomes and hin have so little coverage that showing an exception would create a new standard (Drizzt any one?) instead of giving us a clearer picture of culture and thinking among these races. The dwarves has been the circus characters of the realms to long, and a more culturally typical dwarf could perhaps correct this a little bit.
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  09:05:29  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with that, Jorkens.

Even the more proliferate races are coming under the same aegis of ambigious cultural delineation (the majority of 3E Elf novels seem to focus on abnormal Elves rather than 'normal' ones).

I have spoken with Rino about this a few times. ;)

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Torkael
Acolyte

39 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  11:14:20  Show Profile  Visit Torkael's Homepage Send Torkael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's some imagination you have there. ;)

A gnomish lich? That's a cool idea.

Thanks. You should see our tabletop NPCs

quote:

(the majority of 3E Elf novels seem to focus on abnormal Elves rather than 'normal' ones).

Majority? I think it's safe to use 'all'

"No, I will not create a song dedicated to dancing dwarves. Especially dwarves worshipping Eilistraee." - Tenasa the bard
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  11:46:29  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Majority? I think it's safe to use 'all'

Most wise of you. ;)

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  12:39:03  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

The dwarves has been the circus characters of the realms to long, and a more culturally typical dwarf could perhaps correct this a little bit.

As an Englishman, it doesn't help that most dwarves seem to speak as though they come from Yorkshire. "Ken tha Genesis in t'Yorkshire tork? It be reet grand."

I do think the Realms needs a decent dwarven hero. One for who family and kin is important. With the Thunder Blessing you could make the hero a twin, why not a male and female?

I'll even offer to write it if there's demand.

Or

I'll rite th'bugger me sen if yer like.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.

Edited by - Kiaransalyn on 10 Aug 2006 13:05:41
Go to Top of Page

Conlon
Learned Scribe

Canada
132 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  13:47:25  Show Profile  Visit Conlon's Homepage Send Conlon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ha! Funny link!

I would agree that the dwarves, halflings and gnomes have not been given their due in Realms literature. However, in terms of gaming, I still have players wanting to play archetypal racial characters like dwarven priests and halfling rogues, but as well as some less conventional ones (e.g halfling monk).

I read most FR novels that come out, including RAS' stuff. I must say that although his stories are not too bad, I don't really like the way he portrays many members of the dwarven race. To me, they just seem a little cartoony. However, he did a good job with that gnome, who's name I can't recall just now...

My hopes are ashes, my dreams are dust. All my intentions mean nothing unless they are followed by action.
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  14:09:39  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ok, I can't quote it directly (yet) but in Dwarves Deep it says the ancient dwarves had rune magic that equaled elven high magic in strength and power...and if you took the continental map of Faerun and included the Hordelands and Kara-Tur you would see in the last 10,000 years that the dwarves controlled over 3/4 of the Upper Underdark with some surface holdings...their ruins are everywhere

And the dwarves with the "funny" names are usually otherwise quintessential dwarven warriors...like Dagnabbit...and I mark up those names not as “goofy” but as “ironic”...a lot of the old western outlaws had silly names but were really criminals and murderers

I always thought the 2nd Ed. Complete Book of Halflings and Gnomes did an excellent job on describing both races, even explaining rationally the “wanderer” hobbit and the Realm’s “tinker” gnomes

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page