Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Salvatore fans please!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  01:41:41  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
Faraer is saying that the reviews of professional literary critics (not Amazon.com reviewers) don't give much more "glowing praise" to RAS than to Ed Greenwood.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 09 Aug 2006 01:43:03
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  01:43:51  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
Bob outsells all the other Realms authors, of course. But Amazon 'reviews' aren't a sign of either quality (all sorts of rubbish has 5-star averages) or popularity (lots of high-selling titles are rated fairly low).

What I was trying to get at is, what was your point about people using each other's characters?

Edited by - Faraer on 09 Aug 2006 01:44:20
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  01:44:33  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by wwwwwww

Look, I’m not trying to say that one is awesome, and one sucks. To each his own, right. I’m merely stating facts based on third party reviews. Take them for whatever they’re worth.

What "facts"? All you did was tell us to go to Amazon.com, which doesn't prove anything.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

wwwwwww
Learned Scribe

116 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  02:09:02  Show Profile  Visit wwwwwww's Homepage Send wwwwwww a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Bob outsells all the other Realms authors, of course. But Amazon 'reviews' aren't a sign of either quality (all sorts of rubbish has 5-star averages) or popularity (lots of high-selling titles are rated fairly low).
Right. So the obvious disparity between the two means nothing at all.
Some amazon reviews are horrid. Others are extremely well written, if you actually read them.
quote:
What I was trying to get at is, what was your point about people using each other's characters?

Huh? I guess you'll have to bring me back up to speed. State your point, and I'll try to counterpoint.
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
What "facts"? All you did was tell us to go to Amazon.com, which doesn't prove anything.

The "fact" that if you "consider" amazon reviews, RAS is a mile ahead of Greenwood. Am I talking to a wall here?

I never said one was better than the other. I will say this: RAS is far more widely accepted from a literary standpoint (novels) than Greenwood, at this point. How could you possibly dispute that?

And for the record, I NEVER SAID GREENWOOD STINKS! There. That was for those of you that bristle at the mere mention of someone being more successful or more widely liked than Greenwood.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  02:15:04  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
wwwwwww, I'm referring to your post near the beginning of the first page, where you make the comment I replied to, which was in the context of people writing characters created by other people.
Go to Top of Page

wwwwwww
Learned Scribe

116 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  02:20:52  Show Profile  Visit wwwwwww's Homepage Send wwwwwww a Private Message
quote:

wwwwwww, I'm referring to your post near the beginning of the first page, where you make the comment I replied to, which was in the context of people writing characters created by other people.

Simply put, RAS is successful enough that nobody can touch his characters without his permission. I imagine it's the same with Greenwood. Shores of Dusk was without RAS's permission, and the whole premise behind it was quite deplorable.

No blame can go to Mark Anthony, however, as he was merely "following orders" so to speak from TSR.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  02:29:19  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
Ah. Well, seems to me the gentlemen's agreement is held to with pretty much everyone's main characters these days. Commissioning Shores of Dusk was the exception. TSR and Wizards have even respected the Knights of Myth Drannor's (who until today weren't even major novel protagonists) status as PCs by leaving vague their doings after the time of Ed's campaign.
Go to Top of Page

wwwwwww
Learned Scribe

116 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  02:35:38  Show Profile  Visit wwwwwww's Homepage Send wwwwwww a Private Message
quote:

Ah. Well, seems to me the gentlemen's agreement is held to with pretty much everyone's main characters these days. Commissioning Shores of Dusk was the exception. TSR and Wizards have even respected the Knights of Myth Drannor's (who until today weren't even major novel protagonists) status as PCs by leaving vague their doings after the time of Ed's campaign.

You're right.

The only difference is that the 3rd party use of other characters wouldn't have near the impact on "general" fans that the 3rd party use of RAS's characters would, simply because his are much more popular and widely-known. I think that for everyone involved (including Mark Anthony), it's a good thing Shores... never saw the light of day.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  02:53:37  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
It would have more impact on the many Bob Salvatore fans. It wouldn't have more impact on general Realms fans except in so far as they're also Bob Salvatore fans.

I agree that Shores of Dusk was a bad idea, like Conan pastiches.
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  03:05:37  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message
I'm still amazed that the reviews of Amazon.com shoppers - no matter how well-written - are being used to try to gauge the worth of professional authors. *blink*

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

FridayThe13th
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  03:10:57  Show Profile  Visit FridayThe13th's Homepage Send FridayThe13th a Private Message
quote:

Faraer is saying that the reviews of professional literary critics (not Amazon.com reviewers) don't give much more "glowing praise" to RAS than to Ed Greenwood.

Uh, I don't think most "professional critics" even take FR seriously at all. A lot of them think that FR is all crap only for D&D fans.

And yes, I am tired of Drizzt. I want more books on Entreti and Jarlaxle. They are interesting and at least are round characters.

Oh, and I just started Elminster, Making of a Mage, the style is better than Drizzt, but the plot isn't.

"The Lady of Pain? You mean Loviatar runs this place?"
-- Torilian Prime

"You guys should seriously rename yourselves The Horny Society, you popularity would soar."
-- A miscillaneous Kender to a member of the Horned Society
Go to Top of Page

wwwwwww
Learned Scribe

116 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  03:13:14  Show Profile  Visit wwwwwww's Homepage Send wwwwwww a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

I'm still amazed that the reviews of Amazon.com shoppers - no matter how well-written - are being used to try to gauge the worth of professional authors. *blink*

Why don't you go back and read the posts again. See it? See it yet?

Not once did I mention and author's "worth."

Does that clear things up for you?

(one sarcastic post deserves another)

Edited by - wwwwwww on 09 Aug 2006 03:15:26
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  03:44:23  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by FridayThe13th

Uh, I don't think most "professional critics" even take FR seriously at all. A lot of them think that FR is all crap only for D&D fans.

Any paid book reviewer is a "professional critic". And FR books HAVE been reviewed before. So there.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 09 Aug 2006 03:45:35
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36794 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  04:05:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Genis

any of you read the war of the spider queen series? ive been thinking of starting that....and the one with daughter of the drow...i heard good things about that from a few people....any recommendations? to those books i stated or any other books you think i should start...i just finished all the drizzt books and am looking for a something new?

Daughter of the Drow is a worthy read; anything by Elaine Cunningham is excellent.

The War of the Spider Queen? Well, I've heard much raving about how great the books are. Myself, I'm having a hard time staying interested enough to keep reading them. I find them to be an underwhelming experience.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36794 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  04:07:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Bob's sales give him lots of leverage, but he and Wizards both know that the Drizzt books (and maybe the Jarlaxle/Artemis books) sell better than his non-Realms work or the Cleric Quintet. The big sales trigger is Salvatore + drow, hence the War of the Spider Queen 'R.A. Salvatore presents' series.

Absolutely. But, as I stated earlier, if RAS is truly tired of writing Drizzt tomes, there’s nothing to stop him from branching out. It’s his choice, not WotC.

Sure there is: the desire for a paycheck.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36794 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  04:09:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
This thread is also growing a little too heated. Let's all take a few minutes to calm down, shall we?

Go to Top of Page

wwwwwww
Learned Scribe

116 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  04:56:33  Show Profile  Visit wwwwwww's Homepage Send wwwwwww a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Sure there is: the desire for a paycheck.

Oh, I think he'd still get a paycheck if he wrote about something else. Maybe no quite as big, but it'd still be a paycheck.
Go to Top of Page

FridayThe13th
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  05:04:51  Show Profile  Visit FridayThe13th's Homepage Send FridayThe13th a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by FridayThe13th

Any paid book reviewer is a "professional critic". And FR books HAVE been reviewed before. So there.

Tcha, but paid book reviewers aren't always pros at what they are doing. Many are just amateurs trying to make a few quick bucks.

Anyway, I'm not saying I don't like Greenwood's books(I woudn't be here if I didn't), I am saying that in the book criteria world, GENERALLY RPG novels aren't taken very seriously by professional critics.

-- Torilian Prime

"You guys should seriously rename yourselves The Horny Society, you popularity would soar."
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  05:15:17  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message
quote:
Why don't you go back and read the posts again. See it? See it yet?

Not once did I mention and author's "worth."

Does that clear things up for you?

(one sarcastic post deserves another)

A) Where do you see sarcasm in my post?

B) I did read all of your posts. I was paraphrasing.

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Aes Tryl
Learned Scribe

181 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  06:29:56  Show Profile  Visit Aes Tryl's Homepage Send Aes Tryl a Private Message
I tend to agree with Friday, because being a student of Literature, i have asked the opinions of my lecturers before(who are all profesional enough to do a book review), and the sad truth is that if any novel is even remotely associated with a franchise or such, it tends to be treated with a certain amount of disdain by the Lit society, which is quite sadly fairly snobbish( on a whole anyways).Still i wouldn't trust many of the fanboy reviews on Amazon as it only reflects the writer's popularity not his quality of writing. By the way Dan, while these reviews don't tell us much about the writer's quality it does tell us how much a writer is worth commercially. Of course we would have to exclude Mr.Greenwood, as without him,there would not even be the realms
Go to Top of Page

FridayThe13th
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  06:32:47  Show Profile  Visit FridayThe13th's Homepage Send FridayThe13th a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Aes Tryl

I tend to agree with Friday, because being a student of Literature, i have asked the opinions of my lecturers before(who are all profesional enough to do a book review), and the sad truth is that if any novel is even remotely associated with a franchise or such, it tends to be treated with a certain amount of disdain by the Lit society, which is quite sadly fairly snobbish( on a whole anyways).Still i wouldn't trust many of the fanboy reviews on Amazon as it only reflects the writer's popularity not his quality of writing. By the way Dan, while these reviews don't tell us much about the writer's quality it does tell us how much a writer is worth commercially. Of course we would have to exclude Mr.Greenwood, as without him,there would not even be the realms

I am not saying that I agree with those hotheads (I most certainly don't!). I love game fantasy, but that dosen't mean REAL critics do.

-- Torilian Prime

Edited by - FridayThe13th on 09 Aug 2006 06:33:18
Go to Top of Page

Genis
Learned Scribe

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  06:34:56  Show Profile  Visit Genis's Homepage Send Genis a Private Message
that was....enlightening guys but completly off the point...thank you wooly rupert for being the only one to answer my question....lol....you silly lil people...and your big words

Unofficial Random Hiatus Taker.
Go to Top of Page

wwwwwww
Learned Scribe

116 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  14:16:09  Show Profile  Visit wwwwwww's Homepage Send wwwwwww a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Genis

that was....enlightening guys but completly off the point...thank you wooly rupert for being the only one to answer my question....lol....you silly lil people...and your big words

Sorry, Genis. This thread is yet another example of the ill-feelings toward RAS's success by some people. I find it very strange, considering how much he has helped FR gain a following.

As for the topic at hand . . . yes, you can't go wrong reading anything by Ms. Cunningham.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  15:16:36  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
Ill feeling? Not since page one, anyway. Certainly not on my part.
Go to Top of Page

wwwwwww
Learned Scribe

116 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  16:00:50  Show Profile  Visit wwwwwww's Homepage Send wwwwwww a Private Message
quote:

Ill feeling? Not since page one, anyway. Certainly not on my part.

Not you at all, Faraer. I find your posts well thought out and valid.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36794 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  17:17:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Sorry, Genis. This thread is yet another example of the ill-feelings toward RAS's success by some people. I find it very strange, considering how much he has helped FR gain a following.

It's not his success that bothers some folk, it's multiple trilogies dealing with the same character. I don't think anyone dislikes RAS because he's successful; it's because we'd like to see something or someone else.

quote:

As for the topic at hand . . . yes, you can't go wrong reading anything by Ms. Cunningham.

Elaine ranks among my top 3 fave Realms authors.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3566 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  17:22:31  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

It's not his success that bothers some folk, it's multiple trilogies dealing with the same character. I don't think anyone dislikes RAS because he's successful; it's because we'd like to see something or someone else.

quote:

Elaine ranks among my top 3 fave Realms authors.

1. Ed
2. Elaine
3. RAS

Huge fans of all, for different freason for all!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  19:06:03  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message
quote:

Sorry, Genis. This thread is yet another example of the ill-feelings toward RAS's success by some people.

Like how I've been making derisive posts about, let's see.. JK Rowling, Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman, and George R. R. Martin -- among others -- some of which, I suspect, are far more successful than Salvatore commercially? (JKR certainly is, and so is PTerry.) And lookit, I've been bashing Orson Scott Card and China Mieville all over the place because both of them have won literary awards!

Oh. Wait. Except I don't and am unlikely to (since I find them to be, well, actually good writers). If I have anything against RAS' writing, it's that I find it mediocre, stale, dull, repetitive and horribly overhyped. Not because he's successful.

Edited by - Winterfox on 09 Aug 2006 19:06:55
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  19:28:20  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message
All that is probably true in comparison to many other writers... I think we can all agree that RAS isnt the new Hemmingway or Tolkien. But lets face it, the man has found his niche in life and an audience that is more than ready to read his books. He fills out a void in the great halls of literature for all of us who loves a great fantasy adventure that doesnt have to have some revolutionary ideas to it... And in that genre, i think he is the master.

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  19:54:16  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message
quote:

In my experience any thread like this usually devolves into a "fan-boy vs anti-fan-boy" agrument

just my 2 cents

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: