Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 First 4E serious rumor
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2007 :  00:42:02  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

It had its good moments... very few good moments, but good moments nonetheless.

I agree. It was a great concept and a worthy attempt to introduce new and innovative ideas and techniques into mainstream role-playing.
The system magic system really shone, and it is actually the best I've seen so far in any RPG. I also liked how the game mechanics supported and emphasized storytelling and protagonists over the rules, and I guess it was one of the first true "narravitist" RPGs out there.

My group really enjoyed it... for a time. I seem to recall that we stopped playing after the first "real" combat against something other than goblins or average NPCs. If the magic system made this game really shine, the combat rules dragged it back into the mud.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2007 :  22:48:04  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message
Regarding the skills being put into one skill "Perception" maybe they are just trying to mak the thing a little more fast paced...who knows. I never felt that d20 was the right vehicle for a universe such as star wars's. Or maybe I just thing the old d6 SW still beats the new version by lightyears

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Chyron
Learned Scribe

Hong Kong
279 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2007 :  08:29:13  Show Profile  Visit Chyron's Homepage Send Chyron a Private Message
quote:

What I'd like to see is a "4th Edition" which hybridizes MMORPG play and tabletop play, with an RPGA moderation facility, that uses on-line tools to create characters and scenarios, and focuses on bringing the best elements of the tabletop and the digital environments together under the most powerful brand in fantasy adventure gaming. If you ever see a notice that WotC has hired me back to run RPGs, that's the direction I'll be looking to move.

Is it me or does this sound scarily in line with the events now surrounding WotC's recent comments about online content to replace Dragon and Dungeon?

I tend to agree that an official 4E is likely years off, and I think we may see a re-packaged version of the Core books (sorta like 1E did with their later printings, same basic content, new shiny cover).

However, I can see the possibility of them becoming more object oriented in the future with more minis and cards (which would likely push me off the product all together). I like minis (nice and prepainted) for use in my campaigns, but since they want to make them collectible, so that after 3 months you need to pay 3X or 4X more for that rare Red Dragon....well nuts to that I say.

For me I don’t see a big difference between 3/3.5E and 2E. I know we all have our favorites. Some like ruleset X over ruleset Y….but for me from a DM sense, I look at it from a more practical standpoint. That is how many blasted books do I have to have at the table!?! By the end of 2E there were so many compendium books, I could not keep up. If players would want to play a class or use a skill that I had not read about yet, should I tell them no, and then risk putting a damper on the game?

I see the same thing happening now with 3/3.5E, with sooooo many PrCs and I can’t remember which one is in which book with what feats, etc, etc…

Perhaps I am too nostalgic and yes 1E was simplistic. It was Gauntlet, where as today we have World of Warcraft by comparison. It was a bit limiting in that sense, a 5th level fighter was a 5th level fighter was a 5th level fighter …but this was where imagination really came into play (at least for my old group). How did you make your fighter, cleric, mage, thief….stand out from the rest?

But lets face it fellow scribes and sages, 4E or no, things are changing regardless. Because remember in just a few months many of us will be flipping through the last issue of Dragon and Dungeon…again the theme being, out with the old and in with the new.

Just My Thoughts
Chyron :)

Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  01:19:21  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message

4e announced at GenCon or a big joke or DI with a fun name ?

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/welcome

Go to Top of Page

Brenigin
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
117 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  01:28:35  Show Profile  Visit Brenigin's Homepage Send Brenigin a Private Message
Saw that too, Skeptic...there's definitely something happening, and it's all about the number 4.
Go to Top of Page

ShepherdGunn
Seeker

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  01:41:04  Show Profile  Visit ShepherdGunn's Homepage Send ShepherdGunn a Private Message
I, for one, hope and pray that it's not 4th Ed. I read the rules for Star Wars RPG Saga (Miniatures) Edition. Oh, please let WotC understand that D&D should have a rules rewrite as often as Magic... please oh please oh please.

"Man does not live by bread alone, likewise, blades and arrows aren't the only things that can kill him."
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  03:44:14  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message

4E is confirmed, it's all over the WoTC boards.

http://forums.gleemax.com/forumdisplay.php?f=686
Go to Top of Page

freyar
Learned Scribe

Canada
220 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  03:53:57  Show Profile  Visit freyar's Homepage Send freyar a Private Message
Discussion going on over at EN World, for those interested...

My DnD Links and Creations
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  04:18:35  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by freyar

Discussion going on over at EN World, for those interested...

EN World server don't seem to be able to handle it

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  04:20:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Fellow scribes, I've set aside a new scroll for discussing the official 4e rules for D&D. Please continue your discussions there.

I'm sealing this scroll.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000