Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Blackstaff: Prologue and Chapters 1 - 9
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  23:33:25  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hammer of Moradin

Blackstaff is exactly what I expected, and that is a very good thing. The flashbacks, and the link are a perfect way to introduce Khelben's past. It does get a bit confusing at times, but seen through Tsarra's eyes, it needs to be, in a way.

Sometimes the book is confusing when it shouldn't be, though--much of what I was talking about before was written in the 3rd person perspective (that is, through the eyes of an omniscient narrator).

That being said, I have to commend Steve for not blundgeoning the reader with absurd info-dumps about what characters are wearing, what color hair and eyes they have, and so forth. He tells us what's important, and in small bites, as well.

Also, I very much like how the protagonist Tsarra is (or at least seems to be) very grounded and down-to-earth. So far, I haven't read anything about her that is outrageous or unbelievable, and that's great. It also helps that she has a tressym familiar (would I be wrong in thinking Steve is a cat lover like myself?).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 18 Jul 2006 23:34:28
Go to Top of Page

msatran
Learned Scribe

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  04:45:30  Show Profile  Visit msatran's Homepage Send msatran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tressym familiars rule.

I actually have a friend who plays a PC with a tressym Familiar. Though he's got a magic item that allows him to speak, and he's so big fat and lazy that the PC bought him a floating pillow for him to move around on. The most hilarious part is that he lets the familiar boss him around somewhat, so I have him talk in this "Pooh-bah Lord High Everything Else' voice when the PC is encountered.

Other Character: I'm looking for D'gatham.

Tressym: Iiiiiiiiii am D'Gatham.

D'gatham: Are not!

Tressym: Don't mind the high priest of Milil. He is MY familiar...:)

And so on. :)

I like this Tressym though. It's funny. All Tressym should be funny. They're really in charge, after all.

Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  05:02:34  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's great, Msatran.

Approved.

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

monch9
Seeker

Poland
67 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  12:05:19  Show Profile  Visit monch9's Homepage Send monch9 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

"..each family send one or two wizards bearing each of their family's long-dead or long-dormant moonblades."

I just flipped over in my computer chair! That's one way to grab my attention. Hope whatever's going on does further impact Elaine's novel.

SirUrza,

If you go over to Elaine's blog, you'll find an entry similar to you flipping over your chair. (In Elaine's case, I think she threw the chair).

Monch
Go to Top of Page

Crust
Learned Scribe

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  14:03:56  Show Profile  Visit Crust's Homepage Send Crust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quick question. Chapter 2, page 19, second full paragraph after the page break:

quote:
"His impromptu act appeared to have worked, at least on the two older apprentices. Still, the suspicious looks the elf girl had given him and the large barbarian with them showed him he'd wandered too close."

Who is this barbarian mentioned in the above quote? Is one of the apprentices a barbarian? Which one? Tsarra? Danthra? I was under the impression that Tsarra and her young group are all apprentice wizards, so where is this barbarian? How am I missing this?

I agree that some things are hard to follow, almost to the point that I get too annoyed to continue. I don't like stopping and saying, "Now wait a minute... WHAT barbarian? How am I missing this?" The above is a good example of this.

"That's right, hurl back views that force ye to think by name-calling - 'tis the grand old tradition, let it not down! Anything to keep from having to think, or - Mystra forfend - change thy own views!"

Narnra glowered at her father. "Just how am I to learn how to think? By being taught by you?"

"Some folk in the Realms would give their lives for the chance to learn at my feet," Elminster said mildly. "Several already have."

~from Elminster's Daughter, Ed Greenwood

Edited by - Crust on 19 Jul 2006 14:09:05
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  15:20:25  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't really find the above confusing. It just seemed that one of the apprentices was a barbarian, who was helping to lug the deer around. :)

Planescape Fanatic

"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Crust
Learned Scribe

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  18:46:09  Show Profile  Visit Crust's Homepage Send Crust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

I didn't really find the above confusing. It just seemed that one of the apprentices was a barbarian, who was helping to lug the deer around. :)

Thank you. Which one, Trehgan?

"That's right, hurl back views that force ye to think by name-calling - 'tis the grand old tradition, let it not down! Anything to keep from having to think, or - Mystra forfend - change thy own views!"

Narnra glowered at her father. "Just how am I to learn how to think? By being taught by you?"

"Some folk in the Realms would give their lives for the chance to learn at my feet," Elminster said mildly. "Several already have."

Edited by - Crust on 19 Jul 2006 18:49:56
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  19:33:33  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe so. But then again, I'm horrible at names, regardless of the book!

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2006 :  01:02:09  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by msatran

Tressym familiars rule.

I actually have a friend who plays a PC with a tressym Familiar. Though he's got a magic item that allows him to speak, and he's so big fat and lazy that the PC bought him a floating pillow for him to move around on.

That's just adorable.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2006 :  01:03:41  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crust

quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

Thank you. Which one, Trehgan?

Yes...if I recall correctly.

Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2006 :  15:16:37  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah that was odd. I wonder what he's doing there...

I am not that far into it. But it's mighty interesting so far, and those apprentices are pretty dang adept at defending the tower.

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2006 :  01:43:10  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just as I really like Tsarra (the apprentice protagonist), I also would like to mention that I very much like Raegar, too. Another pretty "normal" individual. If this book has so many strange and powerful people in it, protagonists like Raegar are needed to keep the story from flying off into Bizarro-World (even if this is the Realms). I am also happy to see that Raegar acts as a rogue would, and the narrative changes accordingly: we get descriptions of the inside of an inn, and the patrons inside...but it all makes perfect sense, since any rogue worth his salt WOULD scan a room and take note of who is inside, especially under Raegar's particular circumstances.

That being said, he was a bit stupid not to think someone would eventually catch on to him when he was spying on Blackstaff tower...it didn't seem like he was using as much discretion as he should have been. But oh well...the plot so far is actually quite intriguing and has me guessing. That's a great thing.

Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2006 :  05:04:31  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed!

I like the fact that things aren't all spelled out in plain black and white right away. :)

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2006 :  16:08:40  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really like the Elfstone Tavern, I hope they visit it again. I think old Blackstaff needs to let us in on why he needs those moonblades.

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Crust
Learned Scribe

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2006 :  19:33:10  Show Profile  Visit Crust's Homepage Send Crust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Despite the initial minor confusion, I'm loving Blackstaff. I also appreciate Schend's writing style.

I was worried at first about getting lost in a sea of characters, but that fear passed. I'm liking Tsarra and Raegar. I like Tsarra's connection (however loose or tight) to Khelben. I like Raegar's character in that he's a classic rogue in a sense, but he's not a "shadowy death dealer" like Riven or Entreri. He seems rather clueless, but in a way that creates affection in the reader, I think. He's a bit of a bumbling rogue, but a very skilled bumbling rogue.

I think it's cool that we don't really get the magical connection between Khelben and Tsarra by this point. The reader is just as clueless as Tsarra (to a certain degree).

Another thing I really enjoy is the play with the familiars. Very nice touch (and something that I haven't seen recently in the FR novels I've been reading).

Lastly, the grand tour of Waterdeep is incredible.

Edited by - Crust on 22 Jul 2006 19:42:00
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2006 :  00:08:16  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crust
He seems rather clueless, but in a way that creates affection in the reader, I think. He's a bit of a bumbling rogue, but a very skilled bumbling rogue.

Agreed.

quote:
I think it's cool that we don't really get the magical connection between Khelben and Tsarra by this point. The reader is just as clueless as Tsarra (to a certain degree).

I think that's why the story works so well, honestly. Khelben wouldn't work well as a protagonist because he already knows everything (or just about everything). Tsarra is not only a good character, but she is necessary for the story to work, because through her the reader is forced to learn about Khelben and the rest of the plot in small, digestable bites.

quote:
Another thing I really enjoy is the play with the familiars. Very nice touch (and something that I haven't seen recently in the FR novels I've been reading).

Yes, I agree with that too...I think the last novel I've read that dealt with a familiar type character in a serious manner was Lost Library of Cormanthyr (and that wasn't technically a familiar).

Speaking of which, it's neat how that Library was referenced ever so briefly in this novel.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 23 Jul 2006 00:08:50
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2006 :  04:32:54  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I considered creating a list of all the things that are briefly mentioned, but gave up almost immidiately. It'd be a HUGE task.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2006 :  05:05:42  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are a ton of things Hoondatha, and I can only hope that Steven will be asked to write more novels. I think some prequels are in order to explore some of the Blackstaff's rich history.

Edited by - Mazrim_Taim on 23 Jul 2006 05:30:40
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2006 :  05:09:20  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mazrim_Taim

There are a ton of things Hoondatha, and I can only hope that Steven will be asked to write more novels. I think some prequels are in order to explore of the the Blackstaff's rich history.

That might be a bit bittersweet though.

Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2006 :  05:32:00  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, we have a ton of novels about a character like Drizzt, and I think Khelben is way more interesting than him. Drizzt has been an angsty teenager since he turned 60.

Edited by - Mazrim_Taim on 23 Jul 2006 06:16:26
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2006 :  05:50:53  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mazrim_Taim

Well, we have a ton of novels about a character like Drizzt, and I think Khelben is way more interesting that him. Drizzt has been an angsty teenager since he turned 60.

Yeah, but there are still other characters to explore.

Go to Top of Page

darkcrow
Learned Scribe

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2006 :  07:14:50  Show Profile  Visit darkcrow's Homepage Send darkcrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really enjoy this book so far. I was a little worryed though because Blackstaff is a very major character and anything less than a trilogy will have that feeling of a rushed ending. But so far Schend's style is great so I feel confident. I have never read any novels as Blackstaff being the main character, only a little taste here and there. So this is a great opportunity. Being a Chosen of Mystra, he is exactly what I expected him to be like. He's almost as arrogant, impatient, burdened, and stuffy as Elminster. I think Blackstaff being forced to work side by side with one of his apprentices makes a great story roller. I hope I can finish this and Bloodwalk before Greenwood's book comes out.

May Tymora smile upon ye
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2006 :  21:52:28  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by darkcrow
I have never read any novels as Blackstaff being the main character...

I would say he is a main character here, but not the protagonist. If Khelben wasn't forced to work with his apprentice, I'm not sure this book would "work" as well as it does.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 23 Jul 2006 21:53:18
Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2006 :  05:16:48  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I totally agree with you Rinonalyrna. If it was not for the interaction between the two and the apprentice viewing Khelbens past for us to see I don't think the book would have worked out as great as it did.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2006 :  12:01:01  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great start to the book. I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far (up to chapter 5).

The prologue was a perfect start and had loads of flavor. I'm a fan of the phaerimm so this was just right for me. I liked how the elven girls dialog was purely in elvish too.

The scene with the black globe and destruction was great and then how Mystra's voice came in was well done.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2006 :  12:08:35  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Other favorite element of mind then comes into play in chapter 1 with the elves hunting. Shame the distraction had made the arrow miss the deer though

I liked how Lynx spoke (written in italics to show it to be in elvish), and was told to speak in common and not be rude

I chuckled when Tarik started moaning about dressing the deer and then Tsarra called him "my haughty little Tethrian"

Nice little cut to Waterdeep to introduce a stealthy Raegar. All adding to the flavor of the story.

I was really happy for Blackstaff Tower to feature so soon too and it was great to read of all the teleport words to get to the different levels. Definately some lore to keep note of

I've really taken to Nameless (the Tressym) too and quite liked how she(?) speaks in melded together words). It was quite amusing when she was talking of Tsarra's welfare when she regained conciousness and then finished with wanting to be scratched around her ears

Speaking of this situation, the attack on Blackstaff tower was great, as was the fight with the nishruu!! I loved how it showed the chaos in the chamber and Tsarra looking down to the street to see Raegar, and then the next section switched to Raegar's point of view. Excellent way of writing. I saw this in Bloodwalk too and think it's a good touch.

The dream sequence was well done too and I found the "kiira" to be very interesting when Khelben was explaining it.

Great book!

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2006 :  14:33:31  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad
I've really taken to Nameless (the Tressym) too and quite liked how she(?) speaks in melded together words). It was quite amusing when she was talking of Tsarra's welfare when she regained conciousness and then finished with wanting to be scratched around her ears

Thanks for the comments and I'm glad you're enjoying it. I really liked hearing which little bits worked for you.

Nameless, by the way, is a tomtressym (aka tomcat). He's all male, as you'll note a few chapters down the road.

Steven
Who'll admit to cribbing a tiny bit of Elfquest for his tressym-speak

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2006 :  17:18:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Who'll admit to cribbing a tiny bit of Elfquest for his tressym-speak

The preservers? That's where I acquired the word "nastybad," which I often use as an noun, referring to monsters.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2006 :  01:10:29  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steve, I have to ask:

Are you a cat-lover? I've gotten the impression you are, by the way you write Nameless. I think the tressyms are quite cute, by the way.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2006 :  07:02:24  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Steve, I have to ask:

Are you a cat-lover? I've gotten the impression you are, by the way you write Nameless. I think the tressyms are quite cute, by the way.

Yup. Miss my two cats terribly, but they've a good home with Jeff Grubb and Kate Novak since I had to leave them in Washington when I moved. But yeah, a lot of Nameless' attitude came from having cats for a few years...

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000