Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Faerun / Mythologies
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2003 :  07:27:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's okay Bookwyrm, I thought I would just give you more work and more books to read .

Oh, and Mournblade, I'd still like to hear about how this campaign of your works out.

May your learning be free and unfettered

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Tombo
Seeker

56 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2003 :  13:16:07  Show Profile  Visit Tombo's Homepage Send Tombo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes Bookwyrm, literally translated that is correct. But in religous circles (Christian at least) it is loosely understood to mean the "first and the last".
I wasn't sure if this is where he came up with AO's name but while reading the Avatar Trilogy I was trying to think of where the name came from (since most of the others came from somewhere). That's the first thing that came to my mind.
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2003 :  04:55:32  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Tombo that is just something more for me to ponder. One thing I like to do is dissect my hobbies and find out the history/origins of everything. I love poring over old D&D publications to get the perspective of where it all originated from, and how it changes through time, and how it changes from history to fantasy.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2003 :  05:08:22  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Same here, Mournblade. Best way to find out things about people is to know what their explanations for the 'whys' of the world are. That doesn't have to be mythology, it's also natural philosophy. Ever studied the history of science? Fascinating subject.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2003 :  07:03:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to agree with you both Bookwyrm, and Mournblade.

I like to especially study elements of natural philosophy looking for basic aspects of an elementalism, and other similar aspects of the D&D world. For perspectives in some campaigns though, especially aspects such as cosmology or astronomical concerns for some fantasy worlds nothing beats reading over some of the old pre-socratics, and the sophists too. This is particularly necessary when your campaign involves the planes, and alternate material dimensions.

Very interesting indeed .

Good learning...

- The Sage of Perth: For all your Realms Lore needs

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2003 :  10:00:28  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay. I'm embarrassed. In a post on the last page, I referred to both Mulhorand and to the 'Egyptian'-style pantheon and culture. Now, granted, I did this in a not-so-obvious way, but I'm still surprised no one caught it. I could have just left it like that and hoped no one noticed, but it's like a spelling or grammer mistake. I just have to edit the reply, or else I feel like a poser.

So, I just wanted to say that, until I noticed the contents of Faiths and Pantheons, I thought that Mulhorand was the Oriental part of Toril. I know it's supposed to be Kara-Tur, but I thought it was just something that they'd changed. Or something. I'd never heard of Mulhorand before coming here.

Hopefully I don't loose my new rank over this . . . .

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2003 :  00:08:46  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just thought that you meant the Mulhorandi WERE egyptian...

You shouldn't of said anything

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2003 :  06:05:38  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I know. It's a failing of mine. I just wanted to acknowledge the mistake before someone else did.

Go to Top of Page

Malanthius
Learned Scribe

144 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  21:55:03  Show Profile  Visit Malanthius's Homepage Send Malanthius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Was looking through this old scroll and a question popped into my head, If the Mulhorandi are Egyption, what was the Untherite pantheon from?

Mal.

"Oh, Do stop whining, It's not the End of the World. It's just the end of Your's."
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2003 :  02:40:24  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What part of Faerun are they from?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2003 :  02:53:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Malanthius said -
quote:
If the Mulhorandi are Egyption, what was the Untherite pantheon from?

Sumerian/Babylonian

Bookwyrm said -
quote:
What part of Faerun are they from?
The Untherite pantheon are from the realm of Unther, in the south of the Realms, and to the left of Mulhorand.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2003 :  03:31:33  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I meant to ask what the names of the gods were, but looks like Sage answered it pretty quickly. Now, if I only had had my books with me, that wouldn't have happened. I don't know as much about Sumerian myth as I do of others (and I tend to be more curious about non-human, non-deity creatures) but I would have recognized several names.

Tiamat, for instance: though most famous around here for her misdeeds on Krynn, she got her start as the five-dragon-headed goddess of the ancient Mesopotamian region. When I read the original trilogy to the Dragonlance setting, that was one of the things that made me interested enough to read all three. (Not enough to continue, though.)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2003 :  06:12:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Goddess Takhisis (Tiamat), is now regarded as a completely separate entity from the standard D&D pantheon which includes Tiamat. The same can also be said of Bahamut and Paladine. Once 3e had started, all four of these deities were considered separate entities. Therefore the Tiamat, of the Realms is not the same Tiamat of Krynn.

Bookwyrm said -
quote:
I don't know as much about Sumerian myth as I do of others (and I tend to be more curious about non-human, non-deity creatures) but I would have recognized several names.

The mythology of the Sumerian/Babylonian pantheon is one of my favorites, especially when considering such grand tales as the Epic of Gilgamesh, and the story behind Ishtar (Inanna) and Tammuz (Dumuzi).

Edited by - The Sage on 28 Jul 2003 06:12:48
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2003 :  16:13:05  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess I'll go take a look at them soon, then.

And by the way, I wasn't refering to anything in D&D, just explaining that Tiamat wasn't made up just for that; she's from real myth.

Yes, I know that's an oxymoron.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000