Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Diety specific Turn Undead variants
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

xarlstaunzund
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2006 :  05:52:31  Show Profile  Visit xarlstaunzund's Homepage Send xarlstaunzund a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Sure, it makes sense for dieties such as Lathander and Kelemvor to grant their clerics the ability to turn undead. But what about other dieties, like Mystra or Tempus? Wouldn't it make more sense for them to be able to boost their (or others) spellcasting or combat ability, respectively. There ia a multitude of other dieties out there for whome turning undead seems to have nothing to do with their dogma. Has anyone out there come up with variant abilities for other dieties? Of course you would want to use some of the base mechanics as turning, such as usable 3+Cha mod times per day. I'm just curious as to whether there is already such a thing out there.

green knight
Seeker

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2006 :  22:27:46  Show Profile  Visit green knight's Homepage Send green knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are several feats available which allow a charachter with the turn ability to use there turn attempts in new ways. I could see allowing house rules to swap out the ability to turn undead and allow one of these divine feats in its place. This may be too powerful as turning undead gets more powerful as you go up in level but these other feats are usable with only a single level in a class that grants turn undead.

Green Knight
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2006 :  22:57:45  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The various Prestige Classes out there offer just that: they stop the turn undead progression in favor of other abilities.

But how does it account for my Cleric3/Wizard3/MysticTheurge10 even being able to turn undead at all, you ask?

Well, even if this 'cleric of Mystra' is mainly devoted to spellcasting, he still has a Cleric 3's ability to turn. Essentially, those with cleric training, whatever their faith is, can all channel a bit of positive or negative power through themselves.

The 'regular meat and potato' cleric 16, as opposed to the specialized theurge I described above, is better at channeling. That's his 'schtick'. Where the theurge was found in a lab experimenting with spells, the other was praying and introspecting with his god/goddess. He's closer to that 'source of good' that powers his spells every day. The other one still gets his daily spell allotment, but gets them via fax or courier rather than being hand-delivered!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000