Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 How bad can protagionists be in FR books?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2006 :  00:47:01  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just curious where you think the "Sympathy meter" cuts out and you cease to be able to want a villain to win in a novel. We'll presume there's a gamult between anti-heroes and the most vile monsters imaginable.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2006 :  01:25:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a warning... If this becomes another version of the "Heroes in Novels" scroll, it will be locked down immediately.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Adarin
Acolyte

30 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2006 :  02:20:33  Show Profile  Visit Adarin's Homepage Send Adarin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very well, Mr Moderator, so Mr Charles Phipps, what should be discussed in this thread so that we can get a clearer picture of the question we are supposed to discuss.

There will always be parting of ways which is never of your preference.
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2006 :  03:31:19  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just what I said. This is actually a "villains" question.

Let me throw out some topics for approval from the mods.

* How Graphic should Forgotten Realms novels be?
* How 'real' should the evil of villains be?
* Should any villain whose the protagionist be restricted in his evil behavior?
* Should popular villains like Artemis Entrei, Malik, Fzoul, Semmenon and Manshoon be "softened" if given their own books?

And the like?

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2006 :  04:07:47  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The simple answer is: As bad as WOTC's Code allows them to be. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2006 :  04:26:58  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

* Should popular villains like Artemis Entrei, Malik, Fzoul, Semmenon and Manshoon be "softened" if given their own books?

And the like?

Wooly should have probably added the villains thread here also( in addition to rehashing the heroes thread) but I will bite for the moment.

1. I feel the realms novels should be a graphic as Kuje says; as far as WoTC will allow it to go. However, I have been reading realms novels for about 20 years and know that multiple age audiences are here viewing the same material. Soo they are most likely at the level neeeded.

2. The how "real" a villian should be is exactly that, as real as the author can portray them, within whatever guidelines WoTC sets forth. I expect villians to be just as realistic as my favorite heroes.

3. same

4. Bring on individual novels for each of these characters, it would be great. Additionally I have read posts from several scribes and sages here, that more info on the manshoon wars would be much apprieciated. Whether or not they should be "softened" is up to WoTC to set forth the guidelines for the authors as to what they expect and any thresholds they may have for an "overall" audience of readers.

Edited by - scererar on 09 May 2006 04:33:41
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2006 :  17:42:26  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Remember my fellow sages that the mindset of any villain is unlikely to be purely evil. Studies of real world villains show that all of them contain some "good" aspects to their persona. To the question of the villains getting their own books. I would love to see more novels dive into the shadow world of the realms, viewed through the villains eyes. I am currently reading the Rogues series and i am loving every page of it.

So give me a series of Artemis or Jarlaxle and i will fall to my knees in celebration. And feel free to show the softer sides of the villains, as long as they still keep their old style and personality.

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2006 :  01:50:02  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

And the like?

1) Well, as far as WotC would allow them to do so but extra graphics won't harm anyway.

2) How real? Hmm....best if the villains are realistic and practical while imaginative in their planning and actions. Best if the villain is a psychotic, devious yet intelligent villain who masquerades as a sort of fine person while concealing his intentions.

3) Hmmmm....whatever.

4) Nope, it would kind of contradict their supposedly evil behaviour and planning.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000