Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 "Rivals" by Richard Lee Byers in Dragon 343
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2006 :  06:01:08  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I finally got a chance to read this (I've had the issue for a while now, but I hadn't had the chance to read it before now). I liked this story, and wanted to make sure that anyone that is a fan of the Year of Rogue Dragons books that hasn't picked up Dragon Magazine 343 does so.

Without giving too much away, its set before the books, and explains how Raryn and Dorn end up working together as Dragon Hunters in the Moonsea, and its a pretty good story. Good work Richard, and I'm glad you have written some of these side stories for the characters in the books.

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2006 :  13:56:49  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad you enjoyed it, Knight.
Go to Top of Page

dannyfu
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2006 :  19:20:18  Show Profile  Visit dannyfu's Homepage Send dannyfu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i haven't read year of rogue dragons, but i did just read that story and it won me over. very interesting characters and i would like to see where their story takes them.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2006 :  22:30:00  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad you liked it, Danny.
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2006 :  21:39:27  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was really surprised and excited to see this story. I can't put my finger on it, but Raryn has been just about my favorite character in this series from the beginning. I really like all the characters, but for some reason, Raryn stuck in my craw even though he didn't get as much "screen time" as the other characters. Thanks to Richard for letting us see more of this excellent character, and of course more of Dorn never hurts either.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Braveheart
Learned Scribe

Austria
159 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2006 :  22:12:58  Show Profile  Visit Braveheart's Homepage Send Braveheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it possible to read the article somewhere on the web (wizards.com for example)? A Dragon magazine is a rare sight in Austria / Central Europe

Jarlaxle: "Do keep ever present in your thoughts, my friend, that an illusion can kill you if you believe in it."
Entreri: "And the real thing can kill you whether you believe in it or not."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2006 :  01:26:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you tried online suppliers... like paizo.com or nobleknight.com for example?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2006 :  14:22:49  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad you liked it, Xysma.
Go to Top of Page

Braveheart
Learned Scribe

Austria
159 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2006 :  18:19:20  Show Profile  Visit Braveheart's Homepage Send Braveheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Have you tried online suppliers... like paizo.com or nobleknight.com for example?

No, I haven't, thanks for the tip

Jarlaxle: "Do keep ever present in your thoughts, my friend, that an illusion can kill you if you believe in it."
Entreri: "And the real thing can kill you whether you believe in it or not."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2006 :  01:43:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No problem.

I'd recommend nobleknight.com especially since I've had extensive business with them in the past and they're extraordinarily reliable. And also, since I don't want a DRAGON subscription... being able to pick up individual issues that I'm looking for at nobleknight.com is incredibly handy .

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Darth KTrava
Learned Scribe

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2006 :  01:27:18  Show Profile  Visit Darth KTrava's Homepage Send Darth KTrava a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also enjoyed the story. I'm awaiting the final book in the trilogy to come out sometime this month. Can't wait!

Evil will be dealt with swiftly as it is my duty to remove such evil from my presence.
-Rozhena, Cleric/Divine Champion of Torm
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2006 :  03:34:06  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad you liked it, Darth. According to Amazon. com, they'll have Book 3 (The Ruin) available tomorrow. I hope you guys will all buy copies for yourselves, your relatives, your friends, your coworkers, and any household pets.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2006 :  08:10:49  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

Glad you liked it, Darth. According to Amazon. com, they'll have Book 3 (The Ruin) available tomorrow. I hope you guys will all buy copies for yourselves, your relatives, your friends, your coworkers, and any household pets.

Well met

And my copy arrived yesterday! ::jumps up and down with glee::

Remember all, that The Ruin is the current feature of the Candlekeep Book Club, so hope to see some of ye there to discuss the novel with Richard

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Darth KTrava
Learned Scribe

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2006 :  01:34:57  Show Profile  Visit Darth KTrava's Homepage Send Darth KTrava a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think I'd freak if my cats could read....

Looking forward to it! Definitely will get as soon as Barnes and Nobles or Borders gets it!

Evil will be dealt with swiftly as it is my duty to remove such evil from my presence.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2006 :  03:07:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Darth KTrava

quote:

I think I'd freak if my cats could read....

Reality Check!

Man, I miss that comic...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jhoebryn
Acolyte

43 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2006 :  18:35:01  Show Profile  Visit Jhoebryn's Homepage Send Jhoebryn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had this trilogy in my "to read" pile. After reading the short story, I have moved it to the top of the pile. Raryn sounds like a fun character. I am looking forward to it...
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2006 :  18:57:35  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad you enjoyed it, Jhoebryn. Hope you'll enjoy the trilogy as well.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2006 :  20:21:41  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jhoebryn

I had this trilogy in my "to read" pile. After reading the short story, I have moved it to the top of the pile. Raryn sounds like a fun character. I am looking forward to it...

Well met

Great news, Jhoebryn. Thou art going to love it Remember to post thy comments in the Book Club whenever ye get around to the final book...whenever it may be

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Darth KTrava
Learned Scribe

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2006 :  03:45:21  Show Profile  Visit Darth KTrava's Homepage Send Darth KTrava a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I picked up my copy today. Now to finish the book I'm reading on.... The Binding Stone by Don Bassingwaithe. So far, a good read.

I'm just bummed one of my DMs isn't gonna finish the game with my half-dragon paladin going thru the Rage....

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2006 :  03:51:22  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, I (seriously) was wondering what was going on with your paladin. I remembered your reference to that character a few months back. Not only would you have The Ruin for information, but the upcoming Dragons of Faerun. Sorry to hear that.
Go to Top of Page

Darth KTrava
Learned Scribe

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2006 :  12:00:37  Show Profile  Visit Darth KTrava's Homepage Send Darth KTrava a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

You know, I (seriously) was wondering what was going on with your paladin. I remembered your reference to that character a few months back. Not only would you have The Ruin for information, but the upcoming Dragons of Faerun. Sorry to hear that.

All except for the DM who says that it's not likely he'll finish that campaign. So, no telling if she'll (in her mind) ever regain her paladinhood after attacking a friend.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000