Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 A Tenday?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Selrahc
Acolyte

10 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2006 :  14:59:46  Show Profile  Visit Selrahc's Homepage Send Selrahc a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I know many of you will most likely retort at me by saying a Tenday is Ten days, but I don't quite follow that logic. I have reason to believe it may be just another way to say a week and, in my most recent reading of The Halfling's Gem, I have discovered a Tenday is indeed longer than three days, though that went without saying, thus far I have not been able to spot any other indication to the length of a tenday. Anyone else have any ideas?

The elven Ranger, Selrahc Wil'heim Lao'in
and
The elven Wizard, Shynik L'eoul

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36787 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2006 :  15:09:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A tenday is indeed ten days. Weeks in the Realms are 10 days, not seven.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2006 :  15:12:25  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frx/20050525x

lanch to calculator and you will see how long a 10 day is *wink* and because it is from wizards it clearly should be considered canon.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2006 :  15:22:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Indeed. Most references we have make it pretty clear that the "Tenday" is the FR interpretation of a standard Faerunian week. Faiths & Pantheons provides us with that since we saw that WotC changed deities senses from one week per DvR to one tenday period per DvR. This overrides what was previously published in the FRCS (pg. 291) about an FR week equalling 7 days if the DM wishes it so.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 26 Apr 2006 15:23:46
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2006 :  15:54:57  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Indeed. Most references we have make it pretty clear that the "Tenday" is the FR interpretation of a standard Faerunian week. Faiths & Pantheons provides us with that since we saw that WotC changed deities senses from one week per DvR to one tenday period per DvR. This overrides what was previously published in the FRCS (pg. 291) about an FR week equalling 7 days if the DM wishes it so.

The FRCS stated that a week is 7 days??? Blasphemy!

And it proves that I never read that part

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2006 :  16:02:28  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Optional rule, it appears to be. *wink* " if the DM wishes it so"

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2006 :  16:06:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Optional rule, it appears to be. *wink* " if the DM wishes it so"

Exactly. It's not specifically stated as such... but rather the details on pg. 291 weigh the case for and against tendays vs earth weeks.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2006 :  17:44:35  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And since I'm finally reading the FRCS from cover to cover, there is a section, which I didn't notice before, on page 76, that discusses the names of the tendays. I.E. Day one is first day, etc. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 26 Apr 2006 17:45:39
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2006 :  17:48:30  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another method of keeping time is a 'Ride', mentioned in Azure Bonds. I think a ride is also a tenday, but I'm only 90%
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2006 :  17:53:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm

Another method of keeping time is a 'Ride', mentioned in Azure Bonds. I think a ride is also a tenday, but I'm only 90%

To further elaborate on this... here's a little bit from Ed via Bobby Nicholls via Krash -

"Bobby Nicholls noted on the Realms-L a loooong time ago the following:

Last year, at GenCon '95, I asked Ed Greenwood about the days of the week (Ride) in Faerun. I asked if there was a standard day or day name for the days of the ride. He responded that the days of the ride differ from geographic region to region, and usually have a religious connotation. There is no standard set of day names.

Ed went on to say that the people of Faerun use the number of days to indicate when something will happen as long as the number of days does not exceed 30. For instance, if I was to see you in 10 days, I would say "See you in a ten-day," not "See you in a ride" or "See you next ride," both of which are not as determinalistic as the first statement.

If you want to indicate an event in the future of past and this event happens within 10 days of a major event, a Realmsian would say "Bessie had her calf 3 days after the Lord came into his castle." or "Bessie's calf was born 2 days before last Greengrass."

In other words, Realmsians do not use dates like we do -- my birthday in Faerun is something like "12 days after Greengrass" not "Mirtul 12th." Now IMC, I use "Firstday," "Seconday", "Thirday", etc. for my days of the week, and I use dates like Americans do. Why? Well, to be blunt, my players don't want to try to uderstand the FR method of dating. So it is usually easier just to give in on this minor point. However, if you write fiction, you might want to follow these rules.

-- George Krashos"

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2006 :  17:53:17  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A ride is indeed a tenday, one of several slang terms used throughout the Realms. Ride is used exclusively in the Dalelands, and maybe Cormyr/Sembia and the Moonsea, I'm not sure. That's why the Turmish mage Akabar was confused. I can never remember what the others are, though.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36787 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2006 :  18:37:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm

You are correct. From the 2E Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting boxed set (page 21, A Grand Tour of the Realms):

quote:
Months are subdivided into three ten-day periods. These are known variously as eves, tendays, weeks, domen, hyrar, or rides throughout the Forgotten Realms. While rides is the standard term used in Cormyr and the Dalelands, this text uses weeks to avoid confusion.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2006 :  19:04:11  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Wooly. I knew I could count on you to find it...

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Selrahc
Acolyte

10 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2006 :  13:42:07  Show Profile  Visit Selrahc's Homepage Send Selrahc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm quite pleased with the response I've gotten, you have certainly answered my questions.
Funny how a tenday turned out to mean ten days and a week meaning both I and my colleagues who told me they thought it was ten days were correct. Quite ironic.

The elven Ranger, Selrahc Wil'heim Lao'in
and
The elven Wizard, Shynik L'eoul
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000