Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Holy Avengers
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Archwizard
Learned Scribe

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2006 :  07:18:29  Show Profile  Visit Archwizard's Homepage Send Archwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The only two Holy Avenger swords I've ever heard of in the Realms were Carsomyr and Cera Sumat from Baldur's Gate II and Icewind Dale II respectively, but both of those are games and more in the periphery canon. Has a Holy Avenger ever appear in any official lore?

Also, is the story of Cera Sumat based on a real account in the Realms or just completely made up for the game?

Mordakay of Thay
Acolyte

Romania
33 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2006 :  22:30:20  Show Profile Send Mordakay of Thay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been seeking the answer to that question myself.Any help is really apreciated :).

William Yeats
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2006 :  22:54:53  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm named swords do appear to be rare.

There are _Holy Swords of the Realms_ Dragon Magazine 243 and I know Illuminator is one of them.

Other swords search reveals include Captor, Chanter, Mist Reaver, Peacebringer, Raptor, Soul Mate and True Slayer (it may be posible some of these blades are unholy)

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2006 :  23:13:49  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mmm an Unholy Avenger, doesn't have the same ring to it ;)
Go to Top of Page

Archwizard
Learned Scribe

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2006 :  23:27:52  Show Profile  Visit Archwizard's Homepage Send Archwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very interesting, I'll look up a copy of Dragon #243. Where can those other swords you mentioned be found?

As for the Unholy Avenger, I normally go with the name Unholy Reaver, a name used in BG2, though I don't think it was anything more than a +5 sword with an alignment restriction.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2006 :  01:32:37  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The thing about holy avengers, at least now, are that they aren't as special. At one point in time, the only sword that really was the "perfect" match for a paladin was a holy avenger, and getting one was like the completion of your career path. You had "arrived" once you had one.

Now there are a lot of different holy swords, there are exalted magic items, and there are swords of slaying all sorts of different evils that a paladin might be specialized in killing. Dragon bane, undead bane, aberration bane . . . there are just a lot more swords that might be a better match for a given paladin.

All of this is my long winded way of saying I have no idea about official Realmsian Holy Avengers . . .
Go to Top of Page

Archwizard
Learned Scribe

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2006 :  03:36:42  Show Profile  Visit Archwizard's Homepage Send Archwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess that is true, seeing as how 3e has a more standardized magic item format, there are other tools - perhaps more suited - for the job. However, back in 2e, the Holy Avenger was THE sword for paladins and in general it was one of the most powerful swords stat'ed in the Core rules (next to the Vorpal blade I think). I'm somewhat surprised there hasn't been one official Holy Avenger represented in the official lore. I didn't think they would be common, but expected at least one. Meanwhile there are no lack of other powerful swords, like the Elfblades, the Moonblades, the Shattering Swords, and the Baneblades of Demron, but these are minor artifacts.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000