Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Bladesinger's Swords of Eveningstar's Sample Chap?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2006 :  07:01:32  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Anyone know what Chapter the sample is? I hate reading the middle of the book?

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.

Edited by - SirUrza on 16 Apr 2006 07:01:49

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2006 :  01:40:03  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't seen a copy yet, Sir Urza, but if you can force yourself to read JUST the first sentence and post it here, I can find out for you (from Ed). I'm guessing it will be the Prologue.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2006 :  01:44:41  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote

How about 2 sentences? :)

quote:
Horaundoon scowled into his scrying orb. A tightlipped crestfallen Florin strode through the streets with the two loudest Sword wenches at his shoulders, heading back to the Lion.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2006 :  01:54:10  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooog.
Chapter 23!
Out of 27 plus Prologue and Epilogue, unless it's been changed in editing. [rolls eyes, mutters obscenities, glares at ceiling]
Sigh.
sorry, SirUrza.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2006 :  01:56:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eeek. *runs far away until full copy is released* can'twaitcan'twaitcan'twaitcan'twaitcan'twaitcan'twait
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2006 :  01:58:22  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A postscript: this is one of the fastest, most disjointed, most action-packed chapters in the book. It has humour, it has nice little cameos of supporting characters - - and it has some major character deaths (read: spoilers for the whole darn novel!).
WHY they felt the need to ruin the book for longtime fans, I know not. Warning to George Krashos: you wanted to see certain character deaths, and others foreshadowed: it's in this selected chapter, if they've put the whole thing in.
Sigh again.
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2006 :  02:11:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

A postscript: this is one of the fastest, most disjointed, most action-packed chapters in the book. It has humour, it has nice little cameos of supporting characters - - and it has some major character deaths (read: spoilers for the whole darn novel!).
WHY they felt the need to ruin the book for longtime fans, I know not. Warning to George Krashos: you wanted to see certain character deaths, and others foreshadowed: it's in this selected chapter, if they've put the whole thing in.
Sigh again.
THO

Which is reason enough for me to not read the sample chapter.

I want to read something like this in the context of the entire novel, rather than the tidbit they've released here.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2006 :  14:06:32  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Sigh again.
THO

Thanks THO. Age has taught me some restraint. I'll wait for this glorious hardcover (already on order) to arrive before I delve into it. Are you going to get a signed copy? Was that part of your contractual "arrangement" with TSR/WotC? At the least, methinks that Ed will give all you Knights a big thanks. You deserve it.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2006 :  15:38:49  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I started to read it but I put it down after the first page because I also want to wait for the hardback
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2006 :  19:20:38  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooog.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2006 :  05:26:51  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Which is reason enough for me to not read the sample chapter. I want to read something like this in the context of the entire novel, rather than the tidbit they've released here.

Hence why I asked!

Thanks THO. Saved use ALL from ruining the best part of the book.

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2006 :  13:12:36  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mace's Rule No.1 (regarding books): Read them carefully, to keep them in pristine order and to enjoy it.
Mace's Rule No.2 (regarding books): Never read a sample chapter.
Mace's Rule No.3 (regarding books): Disown those members of your family who give you the middle part of a series as a present, when the entire damn thing is OOP.
Mace's Rule No.4 (regarding books): To avoid any damage to books (see rule No.1), do not lend books to anyone.

Yes, I have a book fetish :-D

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2006 :  15:43:04  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

Mace's Rule No.1 (regarding books): Read them carefully, to keep them in pristine order and to enjoy it.
Mace's Rule No.2 (regarding books): Never read a sample chapter.
Mace's Rule No.3 (regarding books): Disown those members of your family who give you the middle part of a series as a present, when the entire damn thing is OOP.
Mace's Rule No.4 (regarding books): To avoid any damage to books (see rule No.1), do not lend books to anyone.

Yes, I have a book fetish :-D

Grin,

You sound like me. I cringe even when I hand them to people in my house, and my rule to them, is always, "DO NOT bend my bindings. You bend my binding, you own the book and you owe me for it." I did get my five bucks once from a friend who did that to one of my novels, she got my old one and I got a new one with her money.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2006 :  16:05:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I get around this all very easily... I don't lend or allow any other person I know (besides the Lady K) to touch, handle or read my books (including sourcebooks).

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2006 :  16:16:03  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I made the mistake twice... with the original DL Chronicles... I was too young and too flabbergastered to act on the rape of me books. Margeret and Tracy signed them anyway, and I prefer the Elmore covers so I never bothered to get them replaced...

That was a decade ago... If people mistreat my preciouses (?!) I follow my Germanic ancestors' traditions and go berserk.

Oh, remind me to clear out my basement in a few days, the neighbors are already complaining :-P

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2006 :  16:24:17  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe we should form the Book Fetishists Anonymous...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2006 :  16:25:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

Margeret and Tracy signed them anyway, and I prefer the Elmore covers so I never bothered to get them replaced...
As are mine... and my Elmore-cover TSR novels are among the most prized books in my library -- and that's not just because of the stories, but also thanks to Elmore's wonderful images that feature on the covers on the novels. I've tried to ensure each and every one is well maintained.

Edited by - The Sage on 20 Apr 2006 16:26:53
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2006 :  16:33:26  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So do I now...so do I...

I even managed to get Larry to draw me my elven mage character about 8 years ago... it's nicely framed next to Parkinson's (may the gods bless him) new rendering of Lord Soth (which he did for me at the same Spiel in Essen).

I haven't found the right place for it yet tho...

Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  04:43:35  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always feel terrible when I don't loan my books to people. I'll be saying to my friends,"Dude, you have got to read War of the Spider Queen. It is out of this world intense." And they will be asking to borrow my books and I am not about that. I also hate the thought of the very talented writers of Forgotten Realms Literature not to be receiving the revenue that would boost sales and keep spreading the good word of the best game on earth. Dungeons and Dragons Forgotten Realms style. I am always worried about WotC falling apart and having to sell DnD to some one else. The days of TSR in the nineties in my opinion were to shakey for comfort. I have nightmares about this stuff. Then again I can be paranoid. It just seems like anytime you find something that you really enjoy something bad happens to the show, movie, or game. But thank the gods of DnD for Forgotten Realms.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  13:58:33  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Only lend books to (most) people if you're willing to lose them.

I think Wizards losing the Realms could be great: a largish company with high overheads, a subsidiary of a multinational toy giant, is not the best home for a literary property. It's TSR's heavy-handed overmanagement of the Realms 'brand' that made us wait 20 years for Swords of Eveningstar. But that's another issue.

Edited by - Faraer on 25 Apr 2006 13:59:17
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000