Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Gnolls in the Dalelands?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Trace_Coburn
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
137 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2006 :  13:08:27  Show Profile  Visit Trace_Coburn's Homepage Send Trace_Coburn a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What (little) information I have/can find regarding gnolls suggests that they're found primarily in the mid-eastern portions of Faerun - certainly their inclusion in Unapproachable East would lead one to that conclusion!

Being that I lack said tome, could someone help me out? I need a thumbnail view of gnoll sociology/mindset (the 2e MC entries being a little thin on that side of things)... and rather more importantly, I could do with some help in figuring a plausible explanation for a sizeable body of gnolls being found in the Dalelands-Cormanthor-Thunderpeaks region. Bugbears are native and make a decent alternative, of course, but by sheer dint of not belonging there in the first place, gnolls would make strange, exotic foes - and one the characters would be a little less prepared to handle. Besides, that whole "favoured class: Ranger" thing fits a bit better with what I have in mind (even if gnolls likely make very poor cavalry, they'd be pretty damn' solid shock troops....)

For now, I've got any or all of these as possible backstories for a good-sized gnoll population being in the region:
- emigrated via Underdark to escape danger X back 'home' (which must've been pretty bloody nasty if they decided to bug out through the flamin' Underdark! )
{sub-possibility: possible riff on the 'orog orc' creation theory - driven into the Underdark, adapted thereto, and are now filtering back towards the surface? }
- involuntarily relocated en masse by Red Wizards so they wouldn't bother Thay any more (much like the Tuigan would be, a century or two later)

Any more suggestions?

D&D collection: Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, Monster Manual I, Complete Arcane, Arms & Equipment Guide.

FR sourcebook collection: Dragons of Faerūn, Faiths & Pantheons, FRCS, Lords of Darkness, Monsters of Faerūn, Player's Guide to Faerūn, Power of Faerūn, Races of Faerūn, Silver Marches.

I just got back into this, okay? Give me time (or better yet money) - I'll catch up soon enough.

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2006 :  14:00:42  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are Gnolls in the Forest south of Westgate

Correct me if Im wrong but didnt an Army of Gnolls destroy Northkeep in the Moonsea? (There where Gnolls living in one of the Ruined Sections of Phlan)

Also werent there Gnolls in the monster army that destroyed Myth Drannor?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2006 :  15:24:58  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
elminster's ecologies might be a big help here. I will reference mine and see what I come up with. However, I do recall gnoll tribes/ bands/ whatever throughout the realms.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2006 :  16:08:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Correct me if Im wrong but didnt an Army of Gnolls destroy Northkeep in the Moonsea? (There where Gnolls living in one of the Ruined Sections of Phlan)
40,000 inhuman mages, priests and shamans... As I recall, gnolls were mentioned as part of the Dark Alliance that brought down Northkeep.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

EvilKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2006 :  16:27:36  Show Profile  Visit EvilKnight's Homepage Send EvilKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gnolls are mentioned as being on the Hullack Forest side of the Thunder Peaks somewhere. A favorite meal of one of the red dragons living in the Peaks (much dislikes by a green dragon that calls the forest her own). I do not remember the source for this info, I think it is Elminster's Ecologies Box.

Another mention of gnolls happens in the novel <U>The Glass Prison</U> which is also in the Thunder Peaks.

EvilKnight

Edited by - EvilKnight on 03 Apr 2006 16:54:14
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2006 :  18:15:41  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gnolls do feature in the Elvenwood encounter tables in Ruins of Myth Drannor. A large concentration of them would usually be due to an ambitious war leader from one of their population centres (wherever that might be).
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2006 :  00:42:15  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the frozen Moonsea North, east of the High Ice of Anauroch, there exists a great mount named Ghaethluntar. It is honeycombed with tunnels and caves and inhabited by thousands and thousands of gnolls and flind. Source is Ed's "Polyhedron" column.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Trace_Coburn
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
137 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2006 :  12:09:56  Show Profile  Visit Trace_Coburn's Homepage Send Trace_Coburn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

In the frozen Moonsea North, east of the High Ice of Anauroch, there exists a great mount named Ghaethluntar. It is honeycombed with tunnels and caves and inhabited by thousands and thousands of gnolls and flind. Source is Ed's "Polyhedron" column.

-- George Krashos
Huh. So much for the SRD consigning them to the savannahs alone....

Thanks, everyone. Unfortunately, I'm still a little shy on that sociological information... and moreover, I find myself needing some info on gnoll religion, as well; directions to a site or tome where I might be enlightened about these matters would be greatly welcome. I understand that they have a tanar'ri lording it over them? One might have expected Malar to fit their style better....

(I have this beautiful concept for a gnoll tribal leader as a Ranger/Cleric (Malar) who wears scale armour made from a behir's hide, wields a heavy pick formed from its horns and a shortbow from which he shoots arrows crafted from its teeth, and uses the shell of a monstrous spider as a shield - all of these items being trophies from beasts he personally slew in battle or the hunt. )

D&D collection: Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, Monster Manual I, Complete Arcane, Arms & Equipment Guide.

FR sourcebook collection: Dragons of Faerūn, Faiths & Pantheons, FRCS, Lords of Darkness, Monsters of Faerūn, Player's Guide to Faerūn, Power of Faerūn, Races of Faerūn, Silver Marches.

I just got back into this, okay? Give me time (or better yet money) - I'll catch up soon enough.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2006 :  14:04:04  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeenoghu is the Demon Prince of Gnolls hes detailed in the Book of Vile Darkness

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

GungHo
Seeker

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2006 :  19:17:05  Show Profile  Visit GungHo's Homepage Send GungHo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could easily see Gnolls paying homage to Malar - maybe even Talos - if you don't want to follow the BoVD, or if you have a "rogue" group.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2006 :  20:21:45  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*shrugs* There are elves worshiping gods other than the Seldarine, so why shouldn't there be gnolls worshiping other entities than Yeenoghu? Go with it I say.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11716 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2006 :  15:55:20  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You'll find gnolls pretty much anywhere in the realms that others might consider "barbaric". They're found in the frozen glaciers above Damara, forests everywhere, Thay, the Shaar, etc.... As to their society, it varies strongly based on environment. The gnolls in the glaciers are barbaric hunters. The gnolls in Thay are somewhat more civilized, but they're brutes in the service of the red wizards. The more commonly found woodland/plainsland gnoll tribes would have a very good model if treated like the American Indians (with maybe more of the sacrificial culture of the Aztecs to a degree, with less need to build temples). In all of these environments, the gnolls are lazy. They have no problem with slavery, except that they don't have a tendency to keep slaves healthy and often have them end up in the stewpot.
As to gnollish religion, Yeenoghu would be the most common of all their deities, but Malar, Talos, Tempus, Gauragos, Beshaba, and even Loviatar (some gnolls are sadists) would all make good gnoll deities.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

GungHo
Seeker

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2006 :  17:55:08  Show Profile  Visit GungHo's Homepage Send GungHo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

The more commonly found woodland/plainsland gnoll tribes would have a very good model if treated like the American Indians(with maybe more of the sacrificial culture of the Aztecs to a degree, with less need to build temples). In all of these environments, the gnolls are lazy. They have no problem with slavery, except that they don't have a tendency to keep slaves healthy and often have them end up in the stewpot.

Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2006 :  03:20:40  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
this is feasable, elminster's ecologies shows that gnolls dwell in the stonlands as well as the goblin marches, among other locations.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2006 :  04:15:47  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

In all of these environments, the gnolls are lazy. They have no problem with slavery, except that they don't have a tendency to keep slaves healthy and often have them end up in the stewpot.

Ahh, stop it Sleyvas. You're making me hungry.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

msatran
Learned Scribe

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2006 :  07:27:37  Show Profile  Visit msatran's Homepage Send msatran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, speaking from the perspective of Joe Dungeon Master, not even a realmslore pointed Joe Dungeon Master, if you want some gnolls in the dalelands, put them there. THere's a whole bunch of cunning gnolls in the small forest to the south of the Elven Court if you're lore oriented, but truthfully...

Gnolls live in forests, breed fairly quickly, and are low level creatures for the most part. There's no reason there couldn't be more. Now if you said "I want a dozen pit fiends in the Dalelands" then you'd have a population issue problem.
'
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2008 :  19:12:25  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GungHo

I could easily see Gnolls paying homage to Malar - maybe even Talos - if you don't want to follow the BoVD, or if you have a "rogue" group.

And you could have non-evil (but still dangerous) gnolls who worship Shaundakul.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2008 :  19:55:12  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gnolls had a VERY early civilization (Urgnarash), before the rise of both Orcs and Humans - about the time of the fall of the Giant and Dragon Kingdoms.

I have surmised that the major portion of theis empire existed in the Shar, and spread as far east as the Raurin, as far west as Erlkazar, and as far north as the Vilhon Reach (which was quite different at that time).

A series of disasters - both narural and unatural - and the rise of the Elven Kingdoms (mostly the Illythiir in the south), help to break apart the massive empire, which fractured at first into much smaller kingdoms, and then into tribal groups. The last 'civilized' group of Gnolls existed in the east, in their own kingdom in the fertile Raurin Basin region. This group finally fell with the coming of the Imaskari, and the last remnant of it can be found in the various smaller ranges of the Yehimal mountains (most notably the A-Ling Shan and Kun-Yen Shan).

So the Gnolls were not always viscous, feral killers and savages - and some groups (like those in Thay and the Westgate region) try to at least put on the 'trappings' of a civilized culture.

This is why you can now find Gnolls spread-out all over Faerūn and parts east - as the Human (and other) cultures and tribes moved into their regions, they were constantly "pushed-back" into the remotist portions of the world. The Elves take most of the forests, and the Orcs most of the mountains exterior surfaces, but the Gnolls have found a niche for themselves - the small bands of forested regions that lie half-way up the mountainsides - an area between te Orcs and Elves that most other have no desire for.

Such a stand of tress lies all along the southern and and eastern slopes of the Stromhorns in Cormyr, amongst many other places. Wherever you find civilization bordering on the lands of the humanoids, there you will find the Gnolls - forever trapped between their past and their present.

Hope that helps - a LOT of extrapolation, based on some canon sources and also at least one article here at CK.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Jul 2008 19:58:20
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000