Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 A message from KnightErrantJR
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2009 :  01:38:54  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That´s really great to hear. Thanks for the update.

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2009 :  06:39:15  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for updating and resurrecting this thread, DM. Your story is tremulous and beautiful, and you tell it from your heart. Flawless.

Thank you, and all my best to you and yours--and to all those of us who fight these battles, loudly or silently. It means a lot that we are none of us alone.

Cheers,

Erik

P.S. IMO, if you aren't a professional writer, you should seriously consider it.

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2009 :  15:26:49  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very good news indeed! May he continue to gain his health, and his childhood, back! Here's to all the homeruns he will hit, but it sounds like he has hit the most important already!

~Kes

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?
Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2009 :  04:25:07  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Thank you for updating and resurrecting this thread, DM. Your story is tremulous and beautiful, and you tell it from your heart. Flawless.

Thank you, and all my best to you and yours--and to all those of us who fight these battles, loudly or silently. It means a lot that we are none of us alone.

Cheers,

Erik

P.S. IMO, if you aren't a professional writer, you should seriously consider it.

Erik,
You are the second one to consider my writing worth reading and to consider writing. Thank you for that (although I am still at a loss as to why my words are worth reading, I do appreciate the compliment, please feel free to tell me why I should consider it, as I really don't understand). Oddly, I've considered consolidating the nightmare's log into a book at someone else's behest, I can't think of many who would want to read such a... mess.

On to everyone:
Sharoth over at Paizo worded it nicely, stating simply that he was a part-time cheerleader. Something like that, for those of us in these battles, is worth its weight in gold. Not just for showing the one going through the battle and saying "see this guy, he's from >insert location here< and he's rooting for you Tanis!" But for the reasons that are all that much more human. People care, and I, for one, needed to be reminded of that, a lot.

Thank you everyone.
Steve

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2009 :  01:11:21  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear the good news!

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2009 :  09:21:04  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That´s really great news to hear indeed. Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2009 :  13:58:19  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear this, Darkmeer!

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2009 :  15:22:38  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Darkmeer

Erik,
You are the second one to consider my writing worth reading and to consider writing. Thank you for that (although I am still at a loss as to why my words are worth reading, I do appreciate the compliment, please feel free to tell me why I should consider it, as I really don't understand). Oddly, I've considered consolidating the nightmare's log into a book at someone else's behest, I can't think of many who would want to read such a... mess.
People are always interested in reading about struggles overcome, and if they're true stories, then so much the better.

Also, going through something truly traumatic like that is extremely stimulating to the creative parts of your brain. I would highly encourage you to explore some fiction/non-fiction writing, whether it's related or not! I find it extremely helpful in working through things like that, and you'd probably produce some great stuff.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2009 :  16:23:23  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Darkmeer..
I almost cried of sadness and than happiness with your posts.
3 years.. That was a long road. My son is 7 months old now, and even my heart being struck for everything that I read (imagining me on your story), I know that's impossible to know exactly what you felt. (imagining and knowing is two VERY different things)

Some months ago, I asked Ed if he could send a message to my friend that were in jail, last weekend he answered, and it were truly amazing. Even that messaged being aimed to him, it helped me too for my own problems, and probably on a smaller or larger scale, it could help you.
So, I will quote his message:

(replace Alan to Darkmeer, and EdAppel to KEJR)
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

To Alan,
From the hand of Elminster of Shadowdale,
This:

Word hath come to me lately of thy recent sojourn in durance vile.

I set down these few words not merely to congratulate thee on thy release, nor to hearten thee down the rest of thy days, but to extend the hand of friendship and let ye know that there are other wayfarers through life who honour thee and understand thee. The one I know as EdAppel, for one. Even when companionship cannot be directly seen or touched, thou art not alone.

Now that thou hast known a cage, and seen something of the darker sides behind the faces of thy fellow men, reflect: ye still live, and breathe, and are stronger for the experience.

Trite words, those, I know. Others have said them before, and no doubt they shall be said again. Yet a truth lies in them, for we are strengthened by every experience we survive. “Enriched” is the currently-popular word, I believe. We cannot help but be enriched, for a life is no more than a collection of experiences, and what their remembered colour and lessons lend to us as we face later experiences.

Think of thy life as a pathway ye are building through an unknown, mysterious, mist-shrouded land, a forest or jungle. Ye never know what lies ahead, and may even question why ye are making the journey. More than that, every flagstone ye set down has its cost to ye. Yet ye are on the path before ye truly know ye have begun it, just as all others are on their paths. Our paths may cross, or run together for days or months or years, yet in the end our path is - - must be - - our own. We all make choices, all the time, and some of them turn out to be mistakes, or less bright than other choices we might have made, yet the time of that particular choosing lies behind us, and we cannot go back.

So, in the end, we are left with three sorts of choices: to refuse to choose, and drift aimlessly, restless and accomplishing little and tasting more and more dissatisfaction; to choose recklessly, not really caring or letting anger rule us or the excitement of the moment and hurling aside judgment, consideration, and counsel; or to choose with thought and deliberation the route of our path, its way marked by choice after choice. The last way can be hard at times, yet also holds the most satisfaction, for however unwisely we choose, we at least have chosen, have taken some hand in deciding and shaping our life.

Ye did not choose that cage, nor the time spent there. Yet having tasted it, ye can draw from those memories and call on their teachings in thy time ahead. Ye can look back and take pride in surviving that dark time, and take it up like a bloodied and battered suit of armour, and say, “I wore this.” More than that: “I wore this, and lived to look back and gaze upon this armor. If ever I must put it on again, I will know what I am putting on - - and know that I can survive through it, for I have survived before.”

Not everyone lives that deeply, ever. Not everyone is tested and tempered in flame. The old warrior who has scars can be proud of them in a way that the naïve young maiden can preen in her beauty, but any pride she takes in it is empty and foolish, for it has cost her nothing, and so she knows not its price, and is not mindful of the weights of life. The darkness that makes warming flames all the brighter.

Hold on to those flames, and do not forget your time of imprisonment. Be as the bars that confined thee: patient, enduring, uncomplaining. If ye remember fear and anger, close thy hand around it and keep it safe and stored, ready to be a weapon when needed - - but wielded well, not foolishly, wildly, and to no good end.

Let it be thy inner flame, a flame that faileth not, until the day of thy passing - - and let that day be a long way off, after the deaths of all who put thee in the cage. Endure, outlast, and be stronger.

For it is the only good way to build thy path, and the best prize of the hard work of building.

Know quiet pride, and wise peace, Alan. Ye are not alone.

And ye do NOT lack armour, nor the respect of thy friends. Walk tall.

Until next,

Elminster of Shadowdale

Whooo. So saith Ed.
love,
THO

All I could say to you is: CONGRATULATIONS! You surely deserve all the happiness that life can give you.

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.

Edited by - edappel on 17 Jun 2009 16:25:46
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2009 :  16:33:51  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed, he is just... great. He never ceases to amaze me.
Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2009 :  08:49:09  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To all: Thank you again for the kindness and congratulations for Tanis. It's odd that this is all done. As a matter of fact, we went to the pharmacy we use on Saturday and he handed the pills to the pharmacist and said "I don't need these anymore."

Proud moments like these only come once in a lifetime.

/d

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000