Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Exalted cleric of Selūne
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bane of the Harpers
Seeker

Canada
53 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2009 :  03:57:17  Show Profile Send Bane of the Harpers a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
One of my players wishes to play an exalted cleric of Selūne. I'd like to be able to give him pointers as to play the exaltedness properly.

How do you imagine an exalted cleric of the Moonmaiden (lycanthrope) would act?

Give me your feedback

Thanks

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2009 :  07:00:32  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bane of the Harpers

One of my players wishes to play an exalted cleric of Selūne. I'd like to be able to give him pointers as to play the exaltedness properly.

How do you imagine an exalted cleric of the Moonmaiden (lycanthrope) would act?

Give me your feedback

Thanks

If you have a copy of Champions of Valor, making the character a member of the Fangshields would make a large amount of sense.

They tend to be like the harpers in nature, with the ability to spy on their enemies, but are direct in their cause for protecting the natural order. On top of this, there are several feats that would help your lycanthrope player prevent infections of lycanthropy that they would spread.

As to the actual way to play the exaltedness... I'd say run as a candle in darkness, and hope for the best. The whole idea of Selune is that bright spot that helps prevent the depravity of Shar, and shar's minions. Add to this Malar's beast cults (very fun to face off against in the Silver Marches), and it allows a large number of plots to be interwoven around the cleric. I'd say somewhere between warrior and natural protector (simlar but not the same as a druid) would be a good balance, and if you are generous and the player willing, a couple of extra ranks in Survival to assist with the RP aspect wouldn't hurt. The persona itself is up to the player, a no-nonsense lycanthrope would be fun to a point, but I always prefer to make a quirk or two for my characters. Perhaps there is compulsive charity that the character performs (like helping at soup kitchens, even hunting the food...), or other spontaneous acts of kindness.

There's so much that goes into an exalted character. Depending on the alignment (CG gets fuzzy sometimes), but "Don't lie, cheat, steal, or murder in cold blood" would be a good set of ethics, given that some of the enemies faced will need to be "dealt with." You could have a very interesting concept, but I'd think it through thoroughly as the player, and come up with a set of ethics, similar to a paladin code but not exactly that strict, for the PC to follow.
My example:
Shar and Malar are trying to upset the balance, and must be prevented from doing so.
Steal from nobody, and donate what you can spare to help the needy.
Lie to nobody, even when the truth will cause you harm.
Kill no one senselessly, as there is no reason for pointless slaughter.
Help the allies of the Church and the Fangshields whenever possible.
Promote the peaceful coexistance of Lycanthropes and other civilized races.

Sorry for the ramble, but I hope this helps.
/d

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page

Bane of the Harpers
Seeker

Canada
53 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2009 :  03:02:26  Show Profile Send Bane of the Harpers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your input!

I have to admit the Fangshields could be a good inspiration for him!
My campaign is set in Waterdeep so its more a urban feel. He will play a cleric/New Moon hunter character (New moon hunter is a prestige class developped by Tom Costa based on a character in Mistress of Night by Mr. Bassingwhaite).

If you have other ideas, please tell me!
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2009 :  03:55:36  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, Sean K. Reynolds wrote and excellent supplement on simplified lycanthropes (with the PDF only costing $5, it is hard to justify not picking it up).

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2009 :  04:20:50  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I don't know what lycanthrope your player will be playing so it will be tough to give many pointers. I'll assume it is going to be werewolf since that is the standard.

Exhalted to me means being good beyond normal means. That doesn't necessarily mean you can't lie (unless you take that exhalted feat that prohibits you), but I agree it shouldn't be the favored tool of a good lycanthrope (especially if they want to prove their the good kind of their fellow lycanthropes).

I would say they would have a greater drive to seek out the evils that others are afriad to challenge normally. Taking on challenges that others say, "Well it has always been that way and it will never change. Who are you to challenge it?"

I once played a cleric of Lathander, just as an example, that was unknowingly becoming a saint as he took on the dark creatures of the night. It was definately tough, but he got whipped and imprisoned by Zhents in order to save a village in the Dales from Zhent occupation forces he and his fellow adventuring compatriot rooted out the first cleric of Cyric they stationed there and his little army of undead and flesh golem. The necromancer my cleric was with thought my character was an idiot for doing the right thing. He hid, but my character also saw that he could inspire the necromancer to be good by doing the right thing in the face of so much overwelming odds of evil.

I was only level 5 cleric at that point, but I was saved eventually by the necromancer and the help of the towns folk I inspired to resist the Zhent occupation. My character returned in force later on and freed the town again. And reestablished the Church of Lathander and Randal Morn back to Daggerdale. (Which we didn't use the adventure series we are running now currently here. GM made up his own version to run with which was really neat.

Anyways, long story sort, is that always challenge this character to fight the hard fight even when it is a bleak and possibly deadly venture. Don't punish the character too much for doing the right thing with no chance of surviving doing that. Always give them a chance for rescue from the group and/or escape by say inspiring npcs around them to help save them.

Because that is what exhalted characters are there to do. To inspire people to rise above the fear of so much hate and violence to do the right thing and to give hope where there is none.

At least that is how I see what an exhalted character is, but that is just my suggestion. I actually agree with Darkmeer's assestment as well. And it sounds like that supplement is an interesting example on lycanthropes too. I hope what I said help and feel free to borrow any or all of the example. :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000