Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 How does one go about courting a Princess...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2006 :  07:07:07  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Interesting question for you all. How does one go about courting a Princess in FR?

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2006 :  07:39:51  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

Interesting question for you all. How does one go about courting a Princess in FR?

Depends on the Princess if your talking about Alusair SHE probably courts YOU

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

silvermage
Seeker

77 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2006 :  08:07:19  Show Profile  Visit silvermage's Homepage Send silvermage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:

Depends on the Princess if your talking about Alusair SHE probably courts YOU

Alusair favors her boys who ride with her regularly and given thatshe had such a fiery temper and hard-to-tame shrew, I can recommend that it would be more worthwhile to court other princesses than Alusair. Alusair is simply not worth the effort, and neither is she the type to sit down and go through the beuracratic stuff unlike Queen Filfaeril.

As to the original question, can I ask what kind of character is courting the fair lady's hand. Is he a prince or commoner?
Is he from an exotic and ancient background like the 12 lonely Princes of Shade or from established kingdoms like Tethyr and Evermeet?

Whatever it is, I am sure princesses seldom favor the walk-in smiling sweet-talking suitors, rather I think an accident or stumbling into an adventure of some sort that allows the meeting of the royal lady and the would-be suitor would be more appropriate as it would be easier for the suitor to court the lady through demonstration and testing of his character and principles in real-life situations that will better prove the suitor's qualities than just empty flattery and sweet words.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2006 :  17:20:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

First you show up in your pimped-out carriage, with the audible glamer spells blasting out some excellent tunes by her favorite bard...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2006 :  17:39:47  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well you could just Charm her as well, or at least try.

There is no direct answer to the question, a lot depends on the target and a lot depends on the suitor.

A visiting King will have a much better chance then the stable boy does of winning the heart of a princess. In the end perhaps a commonor will be more sucessful then a noble or hero of the realm.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2006 :  18:01:11  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well let's restrict it to canon princesses, I've got several threads going at once so pick one at your leisure.

Go to Top of Page

Chataro
Learned Scribe

Singapore
114 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2006 :  18:25:19  Show Profile  Visit Chataro's Homepage Send Chataro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think u should just try to charm her father instead. IIRC, royal marriages were usually decided by the king and not by the princess
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2006 :  18:39:43  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well marriage is one thing, some royals were married at very young ages (I see to recall a case of one prince being 3 years old), coutship is another.

Marriage can be purchased, forced by treaty etc.

Wining affection of such enforced marriage requires courting, just in this case it happens after marriage.

It also though is a valid point that often to court a priness you need parental consent to even get close to her. The stable boy might not be noticed as servents are often unseen. However the stable boy would need to handle the princesses mount or have other reasons to speak to her.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2006 :  18:51:52  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One way that worked was to help her flee from some ghazneths. With a bit of luck you won't need parental acceptance even if you're a Cormaeril

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2006 :  19:04:59  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course, in FR, it would vary by land to land and city to city. As would marriages, which would vary from deity to deity, etc. Further, parents selecting marriage for thier daughter would as well.

I'm going to say it again: Don't base FR material on RL material from our history, because our history doesn't always match up to what can be found in FR.

So, as usual, there's no hard and fast answer to this. Now if you narrow it down, then it might be easier to answer.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 02 Apr 2006 19:06:06
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2006 :  02:21:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Of course, in FR, it would vary by land to land and city to city. As would marriages, which would vary from deity to deity, etc. Further, parents selecting marriage for thier daughter would as well.
That's pretty much what I would've said.

Each individual devotion and/or clergy likely handles elements relating to marriage rights and observes certain strictures on relationships between partners both before and after marriage, especially if the courting individuals are both members of the same church or their parents are for example. Dominate or "state" religions that hold sway over a large concentration of people in a village, town or city also likely have certain "established" agreements on how one would go about courting a noble or personage of royal blood.

quote:
I'm going to say it again: Don't base FR material on RL material from our history, because our history doesn't always match up to what can be found in FR.
Always good advice to keep in mind when thinking about these types of questions.

And more importantly... since we no "hard and fast answer" to this as Kuje said... I'd add that you work up something for you own campaign that suits your individual tastes and the "tone" of your own FR and go with that.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 03 Apr 2006 02:23:18
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2006 :  22:32:44  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's assume your stereotypical...

"No land necessarily but potentially hugely wealthy and saved your kingdom adventurers."

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11808 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2006 :  18:03:28  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Courting a princess?
If its Alusair - little known 2nd lvl spell "selective enlargement"

If its Queen Sambryl (she ain't married, so she's looking <g>) - show up in some snazzy clothes and tell her she shouldn't let the council keep her so tied up. She needs to live life more.

If its King Gareth Dragonsbane's daughter - bring him some wine, wear your best armor, shower the peasants with gold, and never let the old man see you staring at his daughter's cleavage (your life depends on it).

If its Lhaeo's daughter - dude, she's probably only 2 years old, don't be a perv

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

GungHo
Seeker

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2006 :  18:43:28  Show Profile  Visit GungHo's Homepage Send GungHo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

"No land necessarily but potentially hugely wealthy and saved your kingdom adventurers."

I would assume the stereotypical,

"There's no way I would give my daughter to uncouth, unlanded, unblooded, unruly adventurerers."

If the adventurer was an adventurer the way Azoun was (i.e. away from the kingdom, but a high noble in his own right), that'd be one thing. Money filling the treasury would be a possible selling point, but in that case, the adventurers are better off buying a large chunk of land and establishing it as a realm with themselves as the nobles (complete with dealing with the heralds, etc) BEFORE attempting to wed (and not just bed) a princess. Granted, this isn't like the real medieval/Rennaisance world where marriage was usually a way to seal alliances, but still... I don't see a royal agreeing to send his daughter off with some commoner whose only graces are sword swinging and grog swilling, especially if there are noble suitors waiting in the wings.

The princess might dally with you (see Alusair), but marriage is a different deal.

ETA: I do agree with everyone above, though, in that the general "this sounds good/this doesn't" would differ in the various realms. Sembian merchant lords, for example, may not have a problem selling their daughters to anyone with the right coin. Cause they're dirty Sembians. ;)

Edited by - GungHo on 04 Apr 2006 18:59:24
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2006 :  01:42:41  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Even if the adventurer is a commoner or some foreign noble, I think a cautious approach would be best when dealing with this adventurer who had your daughter's attention. Even if the adventurer is fabulously rich, powerful, even influential and won fame by defeating the foes of the kingodm(who knows he purposely engineered the events so that he can easily gain the trust of the besieged kingdom), I doubt the wisest lord/king/noble would allow his daughter to wed the adventurer. For the adventurer may appear heroic at one point in front of the lord/king/noble, but away from the lord/king/noble, the heroic adventurer turns into a monstrous alcoholic and violent man.

I doubt the sterotypical adventurer are the sort of to settle down on the realm then wed the lady for I am certain they will again wander around the world and seek more pretty faces to dally with while heroically dealing the next threat, they are not the kind to really commit to a single lasting relationship, afterall such relationships between adventurers and royal princesses always end up in tragedy.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2006 :  10:10:42  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I don't necessarily assume "adventurer" equals "mercenary" either.

For me, adventurers tend to be nobles and great wizards.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11808 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2006 :  15:33:22  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many adventurer's may gain titles and border baronies, but few would gain true noble standing just because they are powerful. A king is wise to give titles and such to adventurers to occupy their time, gather the fruit of their work, and turn a possible enemy into a friend..... but that wouldn't mean he would want the man spilling seed into his daughter. In a similar idea.... a millionaire in our world may appreciate a skilled carpenter, lawnkeeper, or auto mechanic for the work that they do (and may even reward them for an especially good job)... but few millionaires would welcome those same individuals into their family.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

GungHo
Seeker

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2006 :  17:51:08  Show Profile  Visit GungHo's Homepage Send GungHo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, that's for you. For the king/royal court, that may be different, depending on how many different adventurers rampagedtravelled through their realm or neighboring realms.
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2006 :  15:26:38  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GungHo

quote:

Well, that's for you. For the king/royal court, that may be different, depending on how many different adventurers rampagedtravelled through their realm or neighboring realms.

And whether they distinguish between different groups.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

silvermage
Seeker

77 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2006 :  02:50:45  Show Profile  Visit silvermage's Homepage Send silvermage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GungHo

quote:

I think in my opinion, the most common adventurers are the arrogant, reckless, carefree, foolhardy type of newbies who are just out of the academies and very new to adventuring and yet they believe they know everything about the realms and believing themselves capable of handling anything that comes their way. Such kind of adventurers are commonly found in mass graves or in some Kings' dungeon for their dallying with the royal ladies and noblewomen.
The other type of adventurer-which is also common- Kings and courts would reject would the pompous, imposing, swashbuckling, treasure-looters who seek to pillage and loot any ancient tombs of Kings and Royal Families or famous sites with no respect for the authorities in the lands and highly regard themselves as above the law and society that they would seek to bed the royal ladies just for the fun and pleasure it would bring and just abandon them and move on to the next state for more fun.

These two adventurers definitely won't buy themselves into any King's graces and more likely end up dead or experimental subjects.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000