Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Best quotations from your game...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2006 :  11:40:24  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Best quotations of a character in your game....

"Can it be....I am beaten? Yes, I see now that you are not the inferior blood Half-Moon Elf. I wanted to be master of Evermeet and ruler of Faerun but that is not my destiny. You have destroyed my armies, revealed my treacheries, and finally you have killed me. Let it be known that even if you are despised by your elvish brethren that you are better than them all. They would have made me King and yet....before you, I am nothing."
-Gandorf Durothil's last words

"Do you know why I am worshipped human? It is not because I terrify them. Though I do. It is not because my soldiers tell to worship me or die? Though they do. No, it is because human beings want to be controlled for every decision of their lives. Freedom? They hate it more than you could possibly imagine with your pale human sight. They want me to think for them. It is too difficult to live without me. That is why I will always exist and that is why you will always fail to defeat me."
-Bane after ressurection, facing the party that helped Midnight kill him in the Time of Troubles

"Am I evil? An interesting word bandied about my clergymen of Tyr and Ilmater when they need someone to agree with their restriction of behavior. The difference between me and the servants of The Triad is that I make no attempt to disguise human beings would not tear themselves apart without someone enforcing this artificial construct called civilization."
-Fzoul to the players

"What do I want? Everything, my dear, of course."
-Mask

"Why don't I help you? Why don't I help you despite being 900 years old? How do you think I got to be 900 years old? By sending people like you!"
-Elminster of Shadowdale

"Yoink!"
-Elminster stealing an artifact from the players by teleporting in and out

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2006 :  12:14:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An ambitious Zulkir: "Why don't you wipe out the entire Western Heartlands while you're at it?"
Hadrhune "One thing at a time, Zulkir."

'Tis not from an actual campaign... but it's always a line I've wanted to use in a Shadovar-campaign. ::winks at Wooly::

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Drakul
Senior Scribe

USA
367 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2006 :  12:27:07  Show Profile Send Drakul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Where in the Nine Hells did you get the notion that I would fight fair?"
Drizzt Do'Urden

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDonLNKf6_KA9Qlal3Qu3zQ?view_as=subscriber
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2006 :  12:29:04  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like that Drizzt quote

The Zulkir one isn't half-bad either.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2006 :  12:37:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

I like that Drizzt quote

The real trick here is determining where I actually borrowed the reference from. I'm sure Wooly will know... but I'm keen to see who else might remember where these words were originally spoken.

Go to Top of Page

Drakul
Senior Scribe

USA
367 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2006 :  12:41:24  Show Profile Send Drakul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Were those quotes from a book?? I kind of recall them from a book, but I can't remember which one.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDonLNKf6_KA9Qlal3Qu3zQ?view_as=subscriber
Go to Top of Page

Trace_Coburn
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
137 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2006 :  13:34:36  Show Profile  Visit Trace_Coburn's Homepage Send Trace_Coburn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I like that Drizzt quote

The real trick here is determining where I actually borrowed the reference from. I'm sure Wooly will know... but I'm keen to see who else might remember where these words were originally spoken.

An ambitious Zulkir: "Why don't you wipe out the entire Western Heartlands while you're at it?"
Hadrhune: "One thing at a time, Zulkir."
Zulkir: "..." Holy crud, he's serious!

Ed Wasser was bloody brilliant in that role - devious, menacing, and subtly manipulative, yes, but he had such charm about it. Perfect 'devil's salesman' stuff.

[Londo]
Ahhhhhhh - Mis-ter Mor-den!
[/Londo]

D&D collection: Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, Monster Manual I, Complete Arcane, Arms & Equipment Guide.

FR sourcebook collection: Dragons of Faerūn, Faiths & Pantheons, FRCS, Lords of Darkness, Monsters of Faerūn, Player's Guide to Faerūn, Power of Faerūn, Races of Faerūn, Silver Marches.

I just got back into this, okay? Give me time (or better yet money) - I'll catch up soon enough.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2006 :  13:35:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hadrhune "One thing at a time, Zulkir."

'Tis not from an actual campaign... but it's always a line I've wanted to use in a Shadovar-campaign. ::winks at Wooly::

I know it, but I can't place it.
Go to Top of Page

At your Behest
Acolyte

Germany
46 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2006 :  14:02:26  Show Profile  Visit At your Behest's Homepage Send At your Behest a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, considering what Trace_Coburn said (and I am ashamed that I did not notice it without help ) this seems to be a quote from Babylon 5 that was tweaked to be fitting into the realms :)...
I very much enjoyed Mr. Morden as well.
Sorry for the slight off topic notion. But shadows and Shadovar are not that far away from another :)....

Cheers!

Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn.

Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yeah, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land.
Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death.
Go to Top of Page

Torkael
Acolyte

39 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2006 :  14:18:22  Show Profile  Visit Torkael's Homepage Send Torkael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Bah! 'Tis but a scratch."

-Dwarf fighter Dorgus Goldcleaver, after a friend noted that his arm dropped off after being hit by an acid bolt.

"No, I will not create a song dedicated to dancing dwarves. Especially dwarves worshipping Eilistraee." - Tenasa the bard
Go to Top of Page

Adam_Garou
Acolyte

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2006 :  14:44:24  Show Profile  Visit Adam_Garou's Homepage Send Adam_Garou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Okay, you take the 10,000 on the left..."

Merrick Steelgrave to his comrade Derkin O'Cenedl facing an onrushing horde of gnolls, ogres, orcs, gibberlings, norkers, and hobgoblins... alone. The two human fighters had aid coming... but didn't know it at the time.

"If we do happen to make contact (with the enemy), I expect nothing less than gratuitous violence from the lot of you."

--Sgt. Harry Wells, DOG SOLDIERS--
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2006 :  17:54:58  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"You really just said that...TO A DRAGON??!!!!"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2006 :  18:11:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Trace_Coburn

quote:

quote:

I like that Drizzt quote

Hadrhune: "One thing at a time, Zulkir."
Zulkir: "..." Holy crud, he's serious!

Ed Wasser was bloody brilliant in that role - devious, menacing, and subtly manipulative, yes, but he had such charm about it. Perfect 'devil's salesman' stuff.

[Londo]
Ahhhhhhh - Mis-ter Mor-den!
[/Londo]

He did have the charm going on... Morden -- with or without his "associates" -- would make an excellent template for an FR villain... Hmm, that gives me the beginnings of an idea...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2006 :  18:34:23  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well to be honest, the reason I'm partially so glad the Gandorf scene went off so well is that it was a blatant rife on Darth Malak.

;-)

And more importantly, my players didn't catch it.

Edited by - Charles Phipps on 31 Mar 2006 18:34:48
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2006 :  01:31:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

He did have the charm going on... Morden -- with or without his "associates" -- would make an excellent template for an FR villain... Hmm, that gives me the beginnings of an idea...
In case you're interested... the B5RPG provides a template for Shadow-agents like Morden (it's in the Darkness and Light sourcebook). It's generalised enough to be adapted for other campaign settings... and I've even thought about using it myself and trying to see what Hadrhune what be stat'd like under the template.

quote:

Well to be honest, the reason I'm partially so glad the Gandorf scene went off so well is that it was a blatant rife on Darth Malak.
Ah yes, at the end... in his battles with the now memories-restored Revan on the Star Forge. Neat .

Edited by - The Sage on 01 Apr 2006 01:36:48
Go to Top of Page

Munster
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2006 :  07:59:06  Show Profile  Visit Munster's Homepage Send Munster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Why do I have to be the one who's munched on by a carpet?"
~Maurynna, Ranger

That was my character when they were getting eaten by an animated rug. Yeah. It rocked.

technicalities mean nothing to me unless i can technically get away with your murder.
"I don't know what happened, one minute she was fine, the next she was gibbering like a monkey."
Go to Top of Page

James P. Davis
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2006 :  11:17:41  Show Profile  Visit James P. Davis's Homepage Send James P. Davis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1.--In the midst of a fight, one NPC seems approachable for some sort of compromise. The group tries to call a truce, all except for Lothar the dwarf...
"We're adventurers! We don't make friends, we make corpses!"
Combat, unfortunately, continued...

2.--Same player, earlier campaign, during my first and regrettable use of the Deck of Many Things (2Ed). The player draws The Void and loses his soul. He is informed of this and replies...
"Can I still fight?"

"Everybody is a book of blood; wherever we're opened, we're red."--Clive Barker

FR: RotD2:"Possessions"
Wizards:Bloodwalk
Citadels: The Shield of Weeping Ghosts
Wilds: The Restless Shore
Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep: Circle of Skulls (May 2010)
Book trailers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC-ska7ohVk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfvFdQ8bLp0
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2006 :  11:45:14  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To actually get this line I have to tell a little tale...

We were once involved in a SciFi RPG. It was basically way over the top, think Lensmen meets StarTrek meets Perry Rhodan (for those who are familiar with that series). Our technology was advanced (and when I say advanced I mean ADVANCED), and humans were still the bastards they are today...

It came the time when part of our party of high ranking Earth military do-gooders (well actually we blew most of the stuff apart and thought only of our (Earth's) own advantage, were split. One group was taken to our main enemies home-system into a high security prison, a 10km big space station in stationary orbit around their planet.

After much planning, and a lot of beer for the characters and more for us, our 'admiral' began to question the computer aka the GM. His questions were very specific. "Say, we do have this wormhol-projector, don't we?" (yes we were THAT advanced)
GM: "Yep."
Admiral: "OK, so what kind of ship can we send through the wormhole?"
GM: "At least a star destroyer."
Admiral: "Um... weren't those them big ones?"
GM: "Yep, 20 km in diameter."
a rather long pause. Then
Admiral: "We do have tractor beams on the star destroyer, or?"
GM: "Yea."
Admiral: "Maximum pull capacity of a tractor beam is what?"
GM (by this time growing paler and paler): "About half your mass."
Admiral: "How big was this prison station again?"

Needless to say the entire, extensively planned and mapped space station was never really attacked. We jumped in, got them tractor beams fired up and stole the prison.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2006 :  15:17:09  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

In case you're interested... the B5RPG provides a template for Shadow-agents like Morden (it's in the Darkness and Light sourcebook). It's generalised enough to be adapted for other campaign settings... and I've even thought about using it myself and trying to see what Hadrhune what be stat'd like under the template.

quote:

Ah yes, at the end... in his battles with the now memories-restored Revan on the Star Forge. Neat .

I think a "Morden-type" of npc would also work well as an agent of either the Nilshar or the Avolakia...

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Walking in the Light
Acolyte

22 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2006 :  21:01:45  Show Profile  Visit Walking in the Light's Homepage Send Walking in the Light a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some of these saying come from my own Chars
Yet many others come from people like you that I heard about the Realms such as our beloved CandleKeep and well...liked them

Hail and Well Met!
After reading the grand saying by others
I thought it would be a fine time for me your ever Intrepid adventure and storyteller in the Light Agudo to share a few saying

PS- I the well respected Agudo for one holds the highest respect for Halflings...sadly it seems others may disagree

A Lion Tamer once said if ya need an illusionist for thy circus then call a Gnome
But if thy circus needs a clown send in the Halflings

Sayings From- The town of Gullykin on the Sword Coast
By Lady Silvin Lionheart speaking to Agudo
In the year of the Comical Halfling

Let it not be said I Agudo your humble scribe of the Realms didn’t share funny saying about other Races

Silvanus must truly hate mankind. Why else would he create such nuisances as nymphs, pixies, sprites, brownies, and other woodland fairies?

By: Kayla Brightbow

A cautious adventurer is a dead adventurer.
That’s because the reckless Barbarian Human didn’t stop when he was told to!!!

By: Heladin Stoneforge a bitter Dwarf

I heard tell of one of my kind named Drizzt Do'Urden.
He is why I came to this place known as the Surface.
He is why I entered into a human settlement.
He is why I will hang tomorrow.

The last scrawlings of Hcorgar La'rient in Jail
Year of the Dark Elf

1) Dwarves are better than you, and secretly you envy them and their body hair
2) Human males may mistake you for women after a few drinks
3) As nice as it may be, ordering your prissy wine at the roughest dock-side tavern is not the best idea
4) Don't try to parry a Greataxe with an Elvin Thinblade
5) Almost everything and everyone you love will disappear through-out your Elvin long life. You will die alone.
6) When you dance, you look really, really effeminate
7) No one wants to worship your gods, as all their names take too long to say when you really need them
8) All your women-folk go unsatisfied. Possibly explaining Half-elves, and Fey'ri.
9) Despite everything you've ever accomplished, one rogue Drow is more famous than any of you
10) You're thinking about hugging a hairy dwarf right now, aren't you?

From the Self Help Book for Insecure Dwarfs
Year of Fenris the Sober Mountain Dwarf

Barabrian- Ug!...Was that suposed to happen?

Wizard - Yes.....and umm.....no

Year of the Wiled Magic

A great Topic Idea cant wait until more people post

From the Book Halfling Sayings by Agudo

A Lion Tamer once said, if ya need an illusionist for thy circus then call a Gnome
But if thy circus needs a clown send in the Halflings

Chapter 5-The town of Gullykin on the Sword Coast
By Lady Silvin Lionheart, speaking to Agudo in the year of the Comical Halfling

Edited by - Walking in the Light on 02 Apr 2006 21:08:34
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2006 :  00:22:51  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Walking in the Light

Barabrian- Ug!...Was that suposed to happen?

Wizard - Yes.....and umm.....no

Year of the Wiled Magic

For some reason, that one had me in stitches.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2006 :  09:32:40  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Player: I'll never break Szass Tam

Szass Tam: Hahahahaha. We shall see....

Player: SIMBUL!

Szass Tam: GAH!

Player: YOINK!

(of course it didn't work but...)

Go to Top of Page

James P. Davis
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2006 :  11:04:07  Show Profile  Visit James P. Davis's Homepage Send James P. Davis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(The characters are searching an underground library protected by a silence spell when the walls and the foundation tremble slightly. Suspecting a thunderstorm, most continue searching for a particular book, assuming their actions are hidden and that they are safe until morning. One though, gets curious. He ascends the stairs and opens the door to the street level, sticks his head outside to witness the city in flames, an army breaching distant gates and blue dragons overhead blasting everything in sight with their lightning breath. He closes the door and returns to the others with a look of horror upon his face. They casually ask...)

"Hey, what's going on?"

"Well, it's not raining..."

"Everybody is a book of blood; wherever we're opened, we're red."--Clive Barker

FR: RotD2:"Possessions"
Wizards:Bloodwalk
Citadels: The Shield of Weeping Ghosts
Wilds: The Restless Shore
Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep: Circle of Skulls (May 2010)
Book trailers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC-ska7ohVk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfvFdQ8bLp0
Go to Top of Page

Torkael
Acolyte

39 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2006 :  06:48:42  Show Profile  Visit Torkael's Homepage Send Torkael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"What do I live for? For her sake, mostly. I've broken many promises before, but hers is one that I'll keep as best as I can. Besides, she's an elf, so she'll most likely wind up in Arvandor. With me being human I doubt I'd be joining her. Dying won't end this misery...would make it worse if I end up being haunted by this fact."

Tharcus Sevaron, ex-fallen paladin

"No, I will not create a song dedicated to dancing dwarves. Especially dwarves worshipping Eilistraee." - Tenasa the bard
Go to Top of Page

Mr. Wilson
Seeker

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2006 :  10:05:54  Show Profile  Visit Mr. Wilson's Homepage Send Mr. Wilson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The line in my signature deals with a situation in which the party was trapped in a building, thanks to the actions of Dan's PC. Think of Leroy Jenkins when you think of Dan.

The second was uttered as we boarded a ship, intent on taking an artifact that was needed as part of our quest:

Merchant: "It's pirates, please have mercy on us lowly merchants!"
Heather's PC: (indignant): "We're not pirates; we're pre-salvage nautical engineers."

Bloody brilliant response that.

"I've got a plan..."- Dan
"Nothing good has ever come after those four words." - Jesse
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2006 :  11:47:27  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is another one:

(The PCs approach a way-station/fortress recently conquered by gnolls, hobgoblins and hill giants. The party's rogue sets out to investigate. He sees the critters, does a quick count and returns to report.)

Rogue: There are gnolls, hobgoblins and giants in that place."
Wizard: "How many?"
Rogue: "Many!"
Wizard: "And how many?"
Rogue: "Well, I counted roughly two dozen gnolls, a score or more hobgoblins and at least one Hill giant."
Wizard: "Oh... many."

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2006 :  01:35:09  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This one happened in our very recently ended campaign:
Human rogue: Do you want me to disguise myself as an orc again and try and infiltrate the lair?
Elf fighter: By all means, but this time please remember to distinguish yourself or remove your disguise so I don't accidentally attack you again.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000