Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Orders given in military in referance to PoF?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Berwick
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2006 :  07:33:02  Show Profile Send Berwick a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello again,

I hope this is on the right shelf !

I have been pouring over the recent addition to my library, and that is the mighty tome titled "Power of Faerun."

My question is this.

quote:
On page 30 of the PoF, it states that the base DC for giving orders or requests "is determined using the Influencing NPC Attitudes sidebar on page 72 of the Player's Handbook."

What is this refering to?

1) is this saying that the base DC is that of changing the NPC attitude of indifferent to helpfull?

2) or is it that the base DC is set at what is listed for staying at the same reaction? (i.e. indifferent to indifferent is 1...1! that is no challenge!)

A lot of my question's answer relies on the morale of the troops, and the intent of the situation, I understand.

My specific case is the PC's are in the Army of the Heartlands in Cormyr, which was formed shortly after the events in Cormyr: A Novel, and the PC's are part of the war effort to reclaim the King's Forrest.

I am less concerned with how orders interact with the PC's, and more interested in them giving orders/requests to their subordinates in the military.

I place this upon the alter of knowledge to resonate with the echo of excellence that is your mind. Help me great ones, as I am a lost acolyte at this juncture.

Berwick

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2006 :  16:32:47  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't own PoF yet, so I may be out of place here. In looking at the post though, I would imagine that the outcome of whatever orders given to your troops/ subordinates, would be where to focus the morale. A successful leader can push troops through hard situations, such as war, long hard marches, and days upon days of inclement weather and still have troops with a high morale. Is there any charts that would show something to this effect? As a example, you might have a morale indicator with a sliding scale of say 1 to 10. Charisma and your leadership score could effect this + or -. if you continually send them off to to battles with high death rates or push them to do things that are unmoral, could lower the score. However, continually suceeding, winning battles, sharing in treasure, caring about the troops, etc would raise + or -. As long as this morale indicator was within a certain range, soldiers would leap to do your bidding, grumble and scuff their feet once the order is given, question your orders, or out right refuse them.
Anyways, just a thought.

Edited by - scererar on 28 Mar 2006 16:49:22
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2006 :  18:00:41  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If one is in chain of command he generally will be dealing with troops and under officers with an attitude of indifferent. Routine orders will be obeyed. (a poor officer however might have troops with an unfriendly attitude).

If the the order is of a special nature the attitude would need to be friendly a DC check of 15 (for indifferent) or 25 (for unfriendly).

If the order is special and risky the attitude needs to be helpful.

If the order is out of chain of command, trying to order a surperior officer or not a formal member of the army odds are they will start out with unfriendly attitude. Where a DC of 15 must be made to have a routine oder to be obeyed.

It should depend on the nature of the order on if attitude needs to be changed as well as what starting attitude would be between the one issuing the order and the person recieving the order.

A very chasimatic person (or high ranks in certain skills) could issue orders to even hostile creatures that would be obeyed and also might lead friendly troops, that would mae it easier to order them to do a dangerious mission.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000