Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Spoiler for Lerial ( horrible spelling, i know)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chataro
Learned Scribe

Singapore
114 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  11:34:26  Show Profile  Visit Chataro's Homepage Send Chataro a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In the novel windwalker, she betrays lolth and reounces lolth forever, does this mean that she has no more lvl in cleric class or does it mean she is now a fallen cleric?

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  11:41:51  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Liriel. I was surprised -- I thought you were mangling Laeral's name.

It's not clear whether she still has clerical powers at the end of the trilogy, but there've been signs that Eilistraee favors her, so it's possible that she can still pray to the Dark Maiden and be answered, despite the attitude of the Promenade priestesses toward her.
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  11:50:13  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it's also possible for another god to interpret the incantations/prayers/etc and supply the power. It's been a long time but I remember Talos gave someone magic in the avatars trilogy, and the user believed it to be granted by someone else.
It's indeed possible that Eilistraee answers the prayers directed towards Lolth.

Additionally, a character would never 'lose' class levels due to being cut off from his/her deity,but the worst case would be that they could prepare no spells, or turn/rebuke undead
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  13:34:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm

Additionally, a character would never 'lose' class levels due to being cut off from his/her deity,but the worst case would be that they could prepare no spells, or turn/rebuke undead

Exactly. She might not have any divinely-granted abilities (turning, spells, etc), but she's still got the basic, purely mechanical aspects of the class. It's difficult to actually lose levels, unless you do something like tango with a vampire.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  13:53:18  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm

Exactly. She might not have any divinely-granted abilities (turning, spells, etc), but she's still got the basic, purely mechanical aspects of the class. It's difficult to actually lose levels, unless you do something like tango with a vampire.

Tango With A Vampire--what a great title that would be! Hmmm . . .
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  14:05:42  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm surprise Laurell K. Hamilton hasn't named her Anita Blake books something like that yet. Oh, wait... Danse Macabre.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  15:20:19  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Winterfox

I'm surprise Laurell K. Hamilton hasn't named her Anita Blake books something like that yet. Oh, wait... Danse Macabre.

The concept of the Danse Macabre has been around for quite some time. Its origins are, I believe, a medieval allegory. It works very well as a title for a vampire book, in that any affair with a vampire is dancing with death.

The mental image of a literal tango with a vampire tickled me. But yes, it does portray much the same idea.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 08 Mar 2006 15:20:48
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  17:14:20  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And for a moving (in the literal sense) rendition of a Danse Macabre, watch the final scene of The 7th Seal (after you've watched the rest of the movie, of course, it's one of two Ingmar Bergman-movies I've actually been able to enjoy).

And for less moving illustrations, go into pretty much any old church that still displays its medieval decorations. It used to be a quite common painting.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  17:56:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

The mental image of a literal tango with a vampire tickled me.

I'm glad to have offered amusement, even if it wasn't intentional.

Shall we now talk about square-dancing liches?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2006 :  03:29:39  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ack! Sudden mental image of liches wearing ruffly dresses in pink gingham.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2006 :  05:16:13  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:

Ack! Sudden mental image of liches wearing ruffly dresses in pink gingham.

Sounds like something Ed could've written about.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000