Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Elaines non FR novels
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2006 :  10:57:55  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

Has anyone read any of Elaines Changeling series of Novels?

What did you think?

From the brief write up in Elaines "Plog" at Amazon I got the impression that Changeling was sort of a cross between the Supernatural and Medium TV shows in flavour....

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2006 :  16:10:12  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have them but I haven't read them yet since I'm waiting for the last one to come out. :) So they are sitting in my stacks to be read.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2006 :  16:48:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

What did you think?

From the brief write up in Elaines "Plog" at Amazon I got the impression that Changeling was sort of a cross between the Supernatural and Medium TV shows in flavour....

I read the first book and enjoyed it very much, although I haven't touched the second one yet.

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I have them but I haven't read them yet since I'm waiting for the last one to come out. :) So they are sitting in my stacks to be read.

The first one, at least, stood alone quite well by itself.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2006 :  17:04:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to have to take a look at these books, myself. I've got a reading backlog going on myself, though. I'm finally reading the latest Drizzt trilogy (though I put it on hold for Realms of the Elves), and then I can finally read the WoSQ books, since I'd been holding off until they were all available in paperback.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2006 :  17:15:01  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

What did you think?

They're a bit like the early Anita Blake novels, or maybe Merry Gentry without the sexfest.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2006 :  17:19:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That'd be the same for me as well.

I've only gotten as far as the blurbs on the backs of the books themselves .

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2006 :  14:39:03  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Since this is off topic for the Candlekeep board, I assume the thread will soon be closed or abandoned. May I suggest that you visit my webpage, www.elainecunningham.com, and read the sample chapters?

Winterfox's comparison was pretty close to the mark. These are urban fantasy novels, a modern-day setting with magical elements. The stories ARE a bit like Laurell K. Hamilton's in tone, but with considerably less bodily fluids. Another difference is that magic is not overt. In Anita Blake's St. Louis, everyone knows that vampires and werewolves exist. In Gwen's Providence, magic is underground. It's all around, but most people aren't aware of it.

Kuje, this is an open-ended series, not a trilogy. The folks at Tor haven't contracted a third book yet, so I can't tell you when (or if) book three will be out. But Shadows in the Starlight is getting good reviews, and the sales have been fairly decent considering that it's a new series in what for me is a new and very different genre, so I'm optimistic!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2006 :  14:50:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think there's any need to close this scroll... we've discussed non-Realms novels by FR authors before without too much problem .

It's valid, so long as it doesn't deviate too much.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2006 :  16:09:26  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

Kuje, this is an open-ended series, not a trilogy. The folks at Tor haven't contracted a third book yet, so I can't tell you when (or if) book three will be out. But Shadows in the Starlight is getting good reviews, and the sales have been fairly decent considering that it's a new series in what for me is a new and very different genre, so I'm optimistic!

Oh,

Well then.... I'll have to get to them after I get through these eight paperbacks. I really need to stop visiting the bookstore and replacing the 1 book that I read with 2 more. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 13 Feb 2006 17:28:55
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2006 :  17:21:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I really need to stop visiting the bookstore and replacing the 1 book I read with 2 more. :)

Heh... You're not the only one! I've also got a backlog of magazines and manga that I keep adding to, as well.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2006 :  08:01:58  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Oh,

Well then.... I'll have to get to them after I get through these eight paperbacks. I really need to stop visiting the bookstore and replacing the 1 book that I read with 2 more. :)

Indeed you are not the only one! I replace every book I have read with 2 or 3 new ones as well. I have around 10 FR books in my unread stack and like 15 non-FR unread in my closet.
Go to Top of Page

riverc0il
Acolyte

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2006 :  01:52:28  Show Profile  Visit riverc0il's Homepage Send riverc0il a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

if we can write to any one important to make a fan's request to keep the series going, please let us know! i am stunned that a third book has not been contracted yet. the second book did not end with a cliff hanger, but there are way too many threads left undone to end there! here's looking forward to book three.

for those that haven't read it, highly recommended. the first book i recall was incredible. i just finished with the second which i really enjoyed. seemed very dialogue heavy, not as many of those knock out descriptions and mood setters.

-steve
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2006 :  05:04:33  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad you enjoyed the books, RivercOil!

I should hear some news from the publisher fairly soon. I'm fairly optimistic about the chance of a third book. If Amazon.com is any indicator, the books are selling reasonably well, and they are getting good reviews. Shadows in the Starlight was positively reviewed in Publishers' Weekly, Kirkus Reviews, Library Journal, Science Fiction Chronicle, and Locus. Hopefully that will engender some positive karma!

So, less dialogue, more narrative next time?
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  07:40:17  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definetly planning on picking this up elaine. It's not really my usual genre but your name's on it so I know it'll be a good read.

Going to be confusing to talk about though!

Edited by - BlackAce on 08 Mar 2006 07:40:57
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  12:05:04  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mmm. I finished reading Shadows in the Darkness some time ago. I liked it -- it's fast-paced and fun, but I think the pace could have used a little variation. Gwen keeps hopping from one place to the next, pursuing this and that clue in rapid succession. I believe someone said that the book seems like it's on a caffeinated high, and I think that's an apt description. The result, I think, is a little unfortunate in that other characters are never properly developed; they are interesting, but they're quick blurs of colors and sketchy. And, going back to the pace, the ending came as something of, well, a disappointment. It doesn't seem to jibe very well with the velocity present in the rest of the novel, giving the impression that it sort of fizzles out toward the end.

But, as an entertaining, quick read goes, it's certainly substantial enough.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  15:27:37  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Winterfox

Mmm. I finished reading Shadows in the Darkness some time ago. I liked it -- it's fast-paced and fun, but I think the pace could have used a little variation. Gwen keeps hopping from one place to the next, pursuing this and that clue in rapid succession. I believe someone said that the book seems like it's on a caffeinated high, and I think that's an apt description. The result, I think, is a little unfortunate in that other characters are never properly developed; they are interesting, but they're quick blurs of colors and sketchy. And, going back to the pace, the ending came as something of, well, a disappointment. It doesn't seem to jibe very well with the velocity present in the rest of the novel, giving the impression that it sort of fizzles out toward the end.

But, as an entertaining, quick read goes, it's certainly substantial enough.

The frenetic pace was a stylistic choice; the editor wanted something that was similar in pacing to an episode of Alias.

In general, I would agree that periods of relative calm would be a good idea. As for character development, there's a bit more light shed on Damian and Marcy in the second book, and if there's a third book, the process of letting other characters move more fully into the spotlight will continue.

I'd also like to work with a more linear plot, and I have an idea in mind that I'm excited about developing. Here's hoping!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  15:32:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The frenetic pace was a stylistic choice; the editor wanted something that was similar in pacing to an episode of Alias.
I actually enjoyed that particular aspect of the book itself... despite my earlier reservations.

quote:
In general, I would agree that periods of relative calm would be a good idea. As for character development, there's a bit more light shed on Damian and Marcy in the second book, and if there's a third book, the process of letting other characters move more fully into the spotlight will continue.
Elaine, how likely is a third book at this point?

quote:
I'd also like to work with a more linear plot, and I have an idea in mind that I'm excited about developing. Here's hoping!
Sounds good! Will you continue to follow the story as is... or are you trying for something a little different?

Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  16:08:47  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Given that I really like the genre (I don’t know what the genre is called) AND I’ve enjoyed all of Elaine’s books, this was a must buy for me.

Unfortunately, the whole genre seems to be (IMO) in some kind of slump. Maybe it’s too many people writing about the same things. Hamilton is about to make me rip my eyes out of my skull (I keep buying them anyway), Charlaine Harris’s Sookie Stackhouse books do absolutely nothing for me, and Robin McKinley’s Sunshine...there is just far to much baking, and that’s the nicest thing I have to say about it.

I am still enjoying Kim Harrison’s series of books (Dead Witch Walking, etc) but I’m always frightened that it will take a turn into Anita Blake territory. (Not the sex, but the “I am queen of everything that is and will suddenly discover that I am the queen of everything that will be” problem.) Aside from Elaine’s books, I also have the first Harry Dresden book on my shelf to be read. I desperately want something to be good and stay good in this genre, but it seems to me that most characters in these books have a very limited shelf life.

I’m banking on the fact that, over the course of her books, Elaine didn’t have Arilyn Moonblade suddenly gain superpowers and fly across the Realms to dominate anyone who doesn’t agree with her (and kill anyone Blonde). She stayed Arilyn.

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2006 :  03:40:27  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jindael, you've raised an interesting issue. Fantasy readers are wildly divided on the topic of how powerful a character should be. Some readers love characters who are badass fighters or impossibly powerful wizards. Others dislike super high-level characters and dismiss them as wish fufillment Mary Sues. It's hard to find a good balance, and even if you find it, it's difficult to resist the temptation to let the power level escalate.

Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2006 :  07:02:59  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
It's hard to find a good balance, and even if you find it, it's difficult to resist the temptation to let the power level escalate.

.... Or indulge in a little temporary lobotomisation simply so they don't 'look' powerful.
Yeah, that's a real tough one. Made worse by people's needs to pigeon hole characters.

As for the name of the genre, the girlfriend tends to dub them "Sassy-occult," though I'm not sure that's universally applicable.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2006 :  16:26:52  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
Elaine, how likely is a third book at this point?

It might sound odd to say that I have no idea, but that's the situation. I'm hoping to hear soon.

quote:
Sounds good! Will you continue to follow the story as is... or are you trying for something a little different?[/quote]

Assuming the series continues, some of the threads will continue, and the style will be similar. But I'd like to work with a different sort of central theme for the next plot.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000