Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 FR Novel Contents
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jhoebryn
Acolyte

43 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  04:07:02  Show Profile  Visit Jhoebryn's Homepage Send Jhoebryn a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
My 11 year old has just finished reading the Dragonlance Chronicles (Weis & Hickman's first trilogy). It was released in a Young Readers series. He very much enjoyed it.

I would like to give him some Realms novels to read, but I am concerned about the mature content, in particular sexual themes and language (I am not too worried about the gore). I was debating whether or not to give him the Crystal Shard to read. I have not read it in many years, but I can't remember to much in the trilogy that wouldn't be appropriate. Any thoughts on giving that to my 11 year old? How about other FR novels that might be appropriate?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts...

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  04:35:10  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also do not remember anything in that particular trilogy that would be deemed inappropriate, as long as you were not worried about the fight scenes, as you stated. I don't think any of salvatores books have anything of this sort in them, except one part in the the dark elf books, when Drizzt graduated from the fighters academy and refused the advances of priestess (and got to go for a visit to the driders cavern). I have to admit though that at the time I read them I was not thinking what would or would not be appropriate for a young FR fan.

Edited by - scererar on 20 Feb 2006 04:37:03
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  06:44:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd recommend the Finder's Stone trilogy, myself...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  07:13:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'd recommend the Finder's Stone trilogy, myself...

That... or the "Harpers" series to being with.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  11:10:42  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, as far as sex goes, everything in Realms novels I've read so far is just "fade to black," at the very most, so I don't think that'd be a concern. Swear words stop at "damn" or invoking some god's name or another.

I'd suggest uhhm... How about Richard Baker's City of the Ravens? It's pretty light and comedic for the most part, if you don't mind the fact that Jack gropes a woman's breasts at one point.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  16:59:29  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would would agree with the finders stone trilogy as well as all of the harpers books and their spin off's. Additionally the pools trilogy seemed within your stated guidelines, it has undead and demons though.
Go to Top of Page

Jhoebryn
Acolyte

43 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2006 :  18:21:39  Show Profile  Visit Jhoebryn's Homepage Send Jhoebryn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My son is just finishing the Icewind Dale trilogy. He has very much enjoyed it. I am now looking at what he might read next.

Azure Bonds was listed above. I myself liked the Avatar trilogy when I read them about 15 years ago. I have been told by some that the Moonshae trilogy is also good.

What was the content of those three trilogies like - keeping an 11 year old in mind? I would go through them myself, but I am right in the middle of the Everis Cale trilogy (Paul - thank you for this wonderful trilogy...)

Your thoughts are always appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2006 :  01:45:34  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Jhoebryn, it is best for your son not to read Ed Greenwood's, Troy Denning especially RotA(involves a lot of fights) and The Year of Rogue Dragons(plenty of dragon violence) novels at the moment until he is mature enough.

I say it is better for him to read Elaine Cunningham's novels which are by far okay and for everyone of any age to read. The Moonshae Trilogies are another good recommendation for it's content is fine. Paul S Kemp novels are best not recommended for your son at the moment as it involves a lot of blood, gore, violence and angry thoughts which may not yet suited to a young mind. The Avatar Trilogies? It seem to contain a moderate portion of fighting content and blood and gore and talks about hell and the underworld, things such as these that involve gods falling and dying is best not recommended lest it might confuse the lad's mind and put in the wrong ideas.
Other than that, I believe your son can read the Azure bonds, Tymora's Luck, Finder's Bane novels too. They are safe enough for your son and they are good reads. Pool of Radiance Trilogy is...quite okay to me but that depends on how you might think of it.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

silverpriestess
Acolyte

22 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2006 :  01:50:33  Show Profile  Visit silverpriestess's Homepage Send silverpriestess a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Lost Empires novels may be a good recommendation to your son as it talks of the realms' histories and geography in a nice polite way if you do not mind a bit of violence involved in the novels. The Lost Library of Cormanthyr by Mel Odom is a good read for your son and can't be missed but the Threat of The Sea Trilogy written by the Mel Odom despite its' good read is best not allowed at this moment as it involves gratitious violence, some x-rated scenes and crude coarse language and terms.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000