Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Races from Frostburn in Faerun
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2006 :  05:58:49  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I actually like some of the races from Frostburn, and I was just wondering what the rest of you think of where some of them might be found in Faerun. While I wouldn't use the alternate "Core" races (heck, we already have arctic dwarves, and the only elves I know wandering in the cold are Lamruil's followers, and they haven't been out there long enought to develop a sub-race set of traits. For all we know they have alredy set up their own little version of the Savage Land already), I like the neaderthals and the Uldra, but I was just wondering, where? What would their stories be?

Firhyanda
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2006 :  07:00:41  Show Profile  Visit Firhyanda's Homepage Send Firhyanda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings

In my humble opinion a non level adjusted races can always find a home somewhere in the realms. I have never had a problem accommodating +0 to + 2 level adjusted races into a game. Personally I think that level adjustments of +0 or +1 are for the most part a matter of style there impact on the actual game mechanics is minimal but they can add a great deal to a story.
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2006 :  07:12:16  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Snow Elves have been around since 1st Edition I think, if not that then they were in 2nd Edition, they were introduced in a Dragon article.

Don't think they were ever really recognized in FR, but they could be a lost "tribe."

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document

Edited by - warlockco on 22 Jan 2006 07:13:45
Go to Top of Page

martynq
Seeker

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2006 :  08:37:38  Show Profile  Visit martynq's Homepage Send martynq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Firhyanda

In my humble opinion a non level adjusted races can always find a home somewhere in the realms. I have never had a problem accommodating +0 to + 2 level adjusted races into a game. Personally I think that level adjustments of +0 or +1 are for the most part a matter of style there impact on the actual game mechanics is minimal but they can add a great deal to a story.

So would you always make your decision based solely on game mechanic? Does the flavour and developed history of the Realms affect your decision in any way? If so, how?

Martyn
Go to Top of Page

Firhyanda
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2006 :  11:40:27  Show Profile  Visit Firhyanda's Homepage Send Firhyanda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Firhyanda

So would you always make your decision based solely on game mechanic? Does the flavour and developed history of the Realms affect your decision in any way? If so, how?

Martyn

Greetings Martyn

I am very likely to allow a player in my realms campaign to play just about any race that does not disrupt game mechanics. Having said that if I could run the realms just as I like them without worrying about the story the players want to hear a lot of things would be simpler. There would most likely be a few less verities of elves about in the realms and that spell jamming thing would have just never happened. I think I would have stopped adding pc races with the plane touched.
I try to maintain my campaign as close to cannon as possible for the integrity and history of the setting, but at the end of the day, I remember that as a dm it’s my job to tell the players the story they want to hear. So if my players want Neanderthal’s in the realms then I will write them into the spine of the world. It should be noted that often bad game mechanics makes for a bad story in a roll playing game, internal consistency is the father and mother of suspension of disbelief if the rules of the game don’t work neither does the game or the story. My personal belief is that there is no such thing as style over substance in a good champagne the two walk hand in hand if you honor one you prefect the other. So to answer your questions I would say no, yes and by making sure it all works together.Have a great day and may your skill prevaile.
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2006 :  13:00:54  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

Snow Elves have been around since 1st Edition I think, if not that then they were in 2nd Edition, they were introduced in a Dragon article.

They were in an article in Dragon #155, "In the Frost and the Snow". They were also provided with a deity of their own, Tarsellis Meunniduin, Lesser God of Mountains and Wilderness, served by druids (only). As far as I know, they were not further developed.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11808 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2006 :  22:05:20  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
**They were in an article in Dragon #155, "In the Frost and the **Snow". They were also provided with a deity of their own, **Tarsellis Meunniduin, Lesser God of Mountains and Wilderness, **served by druids (only). As far as I know, they were not further **developed.

Yeah, I remember they declined the use of the sword in favor of the spear. They were a taller thinner race of elves. Their god didn't like Corellon, but he had also done the nasty with Lolth or somesuch before being betrayed by her.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000