Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Divine Champion personality traits (Helmites)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2006 :  03:18:56  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
One of my player's has a cleric of Helm, and he is thinking of taking Divine Champion as a PrC. He wanted to know how he would seem to be a walking embodiment of Helm in Faerun. I pointed out that he would likely be obsessive about being armed and armored (which he already is . . . he loves the armor contingency from Malhavoc's Book of Hallowed Might). He would be especially protective of children, since he is a LG cleric of Helm (which he already is, as one of the party's long term quests has been trying to keep a little girl that has the essense of Xvim in her safe). I also told him that if he has a house built, he will likely build it like a mini fortress, and would potentially make sure his wife knew how to wear armor and use rudimentary weapons.

What do you think? What other traits might a Divine Champion of Helm have? Have any of your player's had Divine Champions, and have they played up the "ebodiment" idea to add personality traits to their characters?

TonyMontana1638
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2006 :  06:10:21  Show Profile  Visit TonyMontana1638's Homepage Send TonyMontana1638 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, Helm... Probably would act as a mediator in many circumstances: say a Lathandarian priest gets in a dispute with a Tempus warrior, the helmite would seek to reconcile the differences of the two in an attempt to maintain order. I get this thought from the fact Helm is a LN God and not necessarily a champion of righteousness (like torm) but rather one that would seek to uphold Law and Order (though the character is a LG character, he may have to curb that desire to do good a wee bit).

"Don't give up... Don't ever give up."
-Jimmy Valvano

The V Foundation for Cancer Research
http://www.jimmyv.org/
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2006 :  12:25:16  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To be honest I see being LG as a bit of a hindrance when playing an embodiment of Helm. I have always seem Helm as an exceedingly Lawful deity that doesn't get much involved with good or evil, it's more about the letter of the law. I like to think of when he killed Mystra and trapped Midnight during the Time of Troubles and avatar crisis. Both times he was in a sense assisting evil (Bane and Cyric respectively) because that was the letter of the law (AO's orders).

However, I am not trying to make a post that is useless to you by spitting out only reasons that it won't work so here are some things I would do if I were playing a LG champion of Helm.

I would see an character such as this being obsessive about protecting those around him, including his fellow party members. Maybe if there is a female in the party or a physically weak spellcaster they can attach themselves to that person. I don't know if you've read Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan but I see Lan as a great example. As Moraine's "warder" he was sworn to protect her and he would stand up against impossible odds and die if he must to protect his charge.

Another small things I would do to show his defensive obsession are...when they set of up for camp he would ensure that it is in a supremely defensible position and strategically organize the watches. He may even buy a ring of sustanence and insist on performing the bulk of the watch himself. We had a Dwarven Defender in one of our groups that carried a shovel with him so he could try to dig small ditches around places that were less defensible so invaders would find it more difficult to sneak or charge in.

I would also take as many ranks as possible in spot and listen, and even consider the alertness feat in order to be the best watchmen possible. Vigilant, by definition, suggests that the person is alert and watchful and Helm is pretty big on the whole vigilant thing.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2006 :  13:24:41  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll have to mention the Lan thing to him. He has read all of the Wheel of Time books, so that reference would be pretty appropos. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000