Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 new AC
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shike
Seeker

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2005 :  02:15:20  Show Profile  Visit shike's Homepage Send shike a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Actually, the idea I had is that armor gives a percentage DR compaired to it's original armor. +5% DR per +1 AC. Thus as characters get higher in level, the percentage of damage they are taking is the same.

And then adding 1/2 BAB (rounded down) as an AC bonus. This bonus is subject 1/2 to the normal armor check penalty. So a 10th lvl fighter w/ a +10 BAB would get a +5 AC bonus, and wearing full plate would actualy only take 60% of whatever damage was delt to them at the point as well as penalty to AC equal to the 1/2 of the Armor Check penalty. Thus he would have a 40% DR, as well as getting a +2 to AC. Shields still grant bonuses to AC and their Check Penalty doesn't affect the AC bonus from BAB.

It still has wrinkles, but what do you all think?

Edited by - shike on 10 Nov 2005 00:23:15

Khaa
Seeker

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2005 :  13:07:55  Show Profile  Visit Khaa's Homepage Send Khaa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pretty cool idea, that way the armour they have on doesnt just make them harder to hit, it actually protects them as in real life.

Ever want another forum? Well try out www.icewinddale.com
Go to Top of Page

shike
Seeker

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2005 :  00:21:00  Show Profile  Visit shike's Homepage Send shike a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The reason I went with a percentage based DR is that it will "Scale" w/ level. So 5% of 20 pts of damage is 1, and 5% of 100 damage is 5. so it Kind of scales. I didn't want Heavy armor to get too high (like up to 50-80% reduction) which is why I went w/ the 5% per +1. Any other comments? I'm also thinking about changing the attacks/round. What I'm trying to do here is balance HEavily armored and armed fighters w/ lightly armored and armed fighters. EG a Master Fencer and Midievel Knight. At the same level, THe Knight should not be attacking as often as the Fencer, and the fencer should be harder to hit, but THe knight should be able to deal tremendously more damage.
Go to Top of Page

Khaa
Seeker

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2005 :  13:07:29  Show Profile  Visit Khaa's Homepage Send Khaa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that is also a good idea. Definately, a fencer should have many more attacks. Prestige classes could be made for them too. Like a fencer, rapier only with 7 or 8 attacks at higher levels.

Ever want another forum? Well try out www.icewinddale.com
Go to Top of Page

hooper101
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2005 :  17:27:09  Show Profile  Visit hooper101's Homepage Send hooper101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What a great idea, I think I will implement it in my next campaign. One question what is BAB? You can pm me with answer if you want.

Die, die, die ,die, die, why won't you just die you silly dragon!
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2005 :  17:36:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hooper101

What a great idea, I think I will implement it in my next campaign. One question what is BAB? You can pm me with answer if you want.

It's the abbreviation for Base Attack Bonus.
Go to Top of Page

hooper101
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2005 :  20:09:51  Show Profile  Visit hooper101's Homepage Send hooper101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks I have too many acronyms running in my head already

Go to Top of Page

hooper101
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2005 :  22:04:17  Show Profile  Visit hooper101's Homepage Send hooper101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about things like studded leather what %DR would you place there? If the armor takes some damage does it have HP, if so how many? If you have magical armor does this affect this idea? And if the armor is magical how do you replace the Hp then? I understand that a armorsmith can repair armor but what about magical damage? Would magic weapons affect the wearer like monsters who have DR? A few questions I have.

Edited by - hooper101 on 10 Nov 2005 22:04:47
Go to Top of Page

shike
Seeker

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2005 :  00:52:28  Show Profile  Visit shike's Homepage Send shike a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hooper - Good questions. I was thinking Magical Armor creates a "field" of energy which provides an AC bonus making it more difficult to land a blow.

The DR is a x%/-
if the inherent armor bonus is a +1 then the DR is 5%/-
+2, 10%/-,+3 15%/-, +4 20%/-, +5 25%/-, etc.

Magical Armor and spells, such as mage armor, grant an Armor bonus equal to their normal bonus so +1 Chain Shirt will grant a +1 to AC, 20%/- DR, all of the normal other properties such as Armor check, Spell Failure, and speed rection.

I, personally, consider maitenence of armor, weapons, etc, are taken care of "off stage" to the point that there don't really need to be rules for it, considering that there aren't specific rules for this anyway.

Adamantine armor would add to this DR, so adamantine Full Plate would be 40%/- + 3/-. Indicating that it would take an aditional 3 pts off the damage dealt.

So nothing actually bypasses the DR except for touch attacks.
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2005 :  06:55:39  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Shinke,

Just some foor for thought:
http://www.seankreynolds.com/rpgfiles/rants/armorasdamagereduction.html

Not trying to discourage you, mind. (Honest!)

Just some good ideas that might actually help your new system.

J. Grenemyer

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene

Edited by - Sanishiver on 11 Nov 2005 06:57:12
Go to Top of Page

shike
Seeker

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2005 :  15:16:08  Show Profile  Visit shike's Homepage Send shike a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the link. It is a very interesting discussion, but I think the percentage based DR takes care of alot of that discussion. Yes, a dagger won't do as much, but will always do something. A Dagger rolling max damage (not str) against Chainmail will do 3 pts instead of 4 points. I know it might be a little more work for the DM, (such as me), but I'm willing.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11800 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2005 :  22:14:02  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
>>Hooper - Good questions. I was thinking Magical Armor creates >>a "field" of energy which provides an AC bonus making it more >>difficult to land a blow.

Careful, that sounds significantly like a deflection field rather than an enhancement bonus (which would enhance the sturdiness of armor, or enhance the sharpness of a weapon, etc...)

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000