Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 General Book Club Discussion
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

darkcrow
Learned Scribe

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2006 :  02:39:41  Show Profile  Visit darkcrow's Homepage Send darkcrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished Tantrus, and an excellent book I might add, and I don't want to start Waterdeep yet because Son of Thunder comes out in a few days, so I'm reading the short stories from The Realms of Valor (for the first time) to hold me off until then. A while ago I read Vampire of the Mist from Ravenloft and it's very exciting to see a short story in there with the charater Jander Sunstar in it. I wonder if there are any books about Jander before he became a vampire.

May Tymora smile upon ye
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2006 :  03:55:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by darkcrow

I just finished Tantrus, and an excellent book I might add, and I don't want to start Waterdeep yet because Son of Thunder comes out in a few days, so I'm reading the short stories from The Realms of Valor (for the first time) to hold me off until then. A while ago I read Vampire of the Mist from Ravenloft and it's very exciting to see a short story in there with the charater Jander Sunstar in it. I wonder if there are any books about Jander before he became a vampire.

There's a couple of short stories about him, after he became a vampire but before Vampire of the Mists, but that's it. We're not likely to see any such novels, either. Jander wound up in Ravenloft, a setting no longer supported by WotC. Plus, as far as the Realms is concerned, Wizards generally sticks with novels set in the present day -- they don't make endless trips into the past, like the novel line for another setting was doing for a while.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

darkcrow
Learned Scribe

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2006 :  04:37:06  Show Profile  Visit darkcrow's Homepage Send darkcrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Geez Wooly! You must know everything, lol. This is going to be my first time being involved in the book club with you guys and I'm really excited about it. Before I found out about this site, I used to read these books and want so much to get in to it with someone but no one I know reads about the realms any more. Sometimes a book is so good that I can't contane myself and explode about what I've just read to the wife. I know she don't care but she humors me and listens to my babbling anyway. Well anyway, thanks for the info about Jander. I really like Christie Golden's work. I wish she would write a trilogy for Forgotten Realms.

May Tymora smile upon ye
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2006 :  04:17:57  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Woo hoo! I went to Border's to see if I could snag a copy of Son of Thunder since it should have been released today, and last time they had Ghostwalker on the shelves right away. In the Forgotten Realms section there was nothing, and I was bummed out. Then I noticed the cart that they were stocking the shelves from, and say the prize staring at me from the upper shelf of the cart. I grabbed it and bought it right away. I'll start posting in the Bookclub soon for this one, but I was exicited to pick this one up right away. So far the intro and the first chapter are pretty engrossing (especially if you loved FR5 The Savage Frontier as much as I did way back in the day).
Go to Top of Page

Murray Leeder
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2006 :  05:20:31  Show Profile  Visit Murray Leeder's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad it's out there! Yeah, I tapped The Savage Frontier pretty extensively. Terrific accessory.
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2006 :  06:09:15  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

Knight - what Borders store? I work at a Borders - and I've not yet seen it arrive - though we do have a skid of books left to open in the back waiting for me tomorrow. LOL I did see Players Gd to Eberron - but other than noticing it had arrived - I was not really interested!

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2006 :  10:51:32  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dhomal, the Borders in Champaign, Illinois.
Go to Top of Page

Jhoebryn
Acolyte

43 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2006 :  14:39:29  Show Profile  Visit Jhoebryn's Homepage Send Jhoebryn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could we create a sticky post at the top of the book club thread listing the book club books for each month? It may not seem like much now, but a few months from now, as new people come on and participate, it would be good to have a single reference thread to all the books that have been set up as book club books and when they were discussed.

Thanks!!!
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2006 :  15:52:19  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jhoebryn

Could we create a sticky post at the top of the book club thread listing the book club books for each month? It may not seem like much now, but a few months from now, as new people come on and participate, it would be good to have a single reference thread to all the books that have been set up as book club books and when they were discussed.

Thanks!!!

Well met

Indeed, i'll note down the forthcoming book clubs soon

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  20:31:40  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooh. Book Club for FR Books. Sounds great. (Getting into the FR quite a bit right now. Heh)

Anyway, I see that the next two books in the Book Club are Third Parts of Trilogies. So, im guessing that it wont exactly be useful for me to get the Third Parts to read in the next months, so ill wait till Blackstaff comes out before joining.

Any recommendations on books to tide me over till then? (Im thinking the Spellfire books. :) )

Heck, it will be good to really get into reading again. :)

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  23:14:52  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

Ooh. Book Club for FR Books. Sounds great. (Getting into the FR quite a bit right now. Heh)

Anyway, I see that the next two books in the Book Club are Third Parts of Trilogies. So, im guessing that it wont exactly be useful for me to get the Third Parts to read in the next months, so ill wait till Blackstaff comes out before joining.

Any recommendations on books to tide me over till then? (Im thinking the Spellfire books. :) )

Heck, it will be good to really get into reading again. :)

Well met

I hope to see thee then in the upcoming months, Uzzy I'm sure ye will enjoy thyself. The book club threads have certainly been an interesting read and with author participation, it has added bonus

As for recommendations, feel free to take a look around the novels section, for there are many suggestions therein. Try this scroll in particular.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Walking in the Light
Acolyte

22 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2007 :  07:02:35  Show Profile  Visit Walking in the Light's Homepage Send Walking in the Light a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL found a better place for this post

From the Book Halfling Sayings by Agudo

A Lion Tamer once said, if ya need an illusionist for thy circus then call a Gnome
But if thy circus needs a clown send in the Halflings

Chapter 5-The town of Gullykin on the Sword Coast
By Lady Silvin Lionheart, speaking to Agudo in the year of the Comical Halfling

Edited by - Walking in the Light on 07 Mar 2007 07:10:34
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2008 :  01:11:12  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello,

Shouldn't some of the stickys for the older books be taken off? More than half the first page is covered with them.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2008 :  09:57:57  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Hello,

Shouldn't some of the stickys for the older books be taken off? More than half the first page is covered with them.

Well met

Aye, thanks for the reminder, Rinonalyrna. I'll get right on it

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2008 :  20:34:51  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Always happy to help.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Theophilus
Learned Scribe

Australia
143 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2008 :  10:13:08  Show Profile  Visit Theophilus's Homepage Send Theophilus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:

Hello,

Well met

Aye, thanks for the reminder, Rinonalyrna. I'll get right on it

Are the older book threads being kept somewhere?
This would allow new readers to post their thoughts on these older titles as they encounter them and perhaps a few of the veterans might like to comment also.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2008 :  10:51:32  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Theophilus
Are the older book threads being kept somewhere?
This would allow new readers to post their thoughts on these older titles as they encounter them and perhaps a few of the veterans might like to comment also.

Try to locate tehm via the search engine. It is a mighty fine tool and helps me in locating the books I am interested in discussing as I am always way behind in novels as well.

You can pretty much narrow down your search to get right to the book club discussions you are looking for. (Match exact phrase/ Search Froum: FR Book Club/ Search in: subject only/ Any Date/ All Members). Works for me.... and hope that it does for you too. Best of Luck,

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 16 Jan 2008 10:52:31
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2008 :  15:35:12  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sticky overload again. :-/

Don't mean to be a pain about this, but having the whole front page filled with stickies makes it harder to navigate. Some of the older books with stickies should be "unstickied", I think.

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2008 :  16:40:17  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Don't mean to be a pain about this, but having the whole front page filled with stickies makes it harder to navigate. Some of the older books with stickies should be "unstickied", I think.
Though I don't participate much in the Book Club's discussions, I may be able to offer a solution here:

Create "master threads" for each book, and master super-threads for each book that's moved past whatever you consider the "Active" period for the book (6 months, a year, whatever). So you might have a master thread for January to June 2006, one for July to December 2006, etc.

So, for example, you might have an Undead master thread (sticky), containing links to each topic for the book (non-sticky). Once Undead moves off the Book Club's active roster, you'd add it to a master (sticky) superthread, and unsticky the book's own master thread.

This would cut down the number of sticky topics on the front page to about a dozen or so at any given time, given a six month turnover, with the possibility of growing with the duration of the Book Club's activity.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2008 :  20:27:40  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Nice idea, Garen Thal. I like it

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2008 :  20:31:44  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well met

Thanks for the reminder, Rinonalyrna. I can be a little forgetful sometimes That sticky stuff gets all over the place!

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2008 :  21:24:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I can be a little forgetful sometimes

Getting senile, huh? I bet you've already forgotten all about that 10 platinum you owe me...

quote:

That sticky stuff gets all over the place!

I am so not following up on that statement!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2008 :  21:30:11  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well met

Thanks for the reminder, Rinonalyrna. I can be a little forgetful sometimes

You're welcome.

quote:
That sticky stuff gets all over the place!

HA!

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2008 :  23:07:01  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I am so not following up on that statement!

Aye, as soon as I wrote it, I knew who would raise their head with some comment or other

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2008 :  04:10:05  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm unsure of the status of the book club in 2008. I found scrolls with schedules for 2005-2007--and scrolls with recent postings--but no scroll to schedule 2008.

Is there a schedule for 2008?

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2008 :  18:15:55  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by monknwildcat

I'm unsure of the status of the book club in 2008. I found scrolls with schedules for 2005-2007--and scrolls with recent postings--but no scroll to schedule 2008.

Is there a schedule for 2008?

Thanks!

Well met

Aye, I haven't updated a 2008 schedule, as it is simply that any new novels are featured in the Book Club on the month of release.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2008 :  18:47:04  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Alaundo!

Do we keep a schedule for product releases at Candlekeep? Or is it something I'll find at WotC?

Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2008 :  01:18:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You'll find info about product releases on 'Tethtoril's Bookshelf' here at Candlekeep.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Aginor37
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2008 :  01:03:25  Show Profile  Visit Aginor37's Homepage Send Aginor37 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, did my local Barnes and Nobles screw up and Swordmage isn't supposed to be on the shelf yet, or is it not getting a book club discussion?

Because, and I mean absolutely no disrespect, In my opinion at least a new Rich Baker hardcover seems a natural choice. Especially considering the fact that as far as I can tell it is one of, if not the, first FR novel set entirely after the great 1475-divide.

Edited by - Aginor37 on 08 May 2008 01:03:56
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2008 :  07:46:57  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aginor37

So, did my local Barnes and Nobles screw up and Swordmage isn't supposed to be on the shelf yet, or is it not getting a book club discussion?

Because, and I mean absolutely no disrespect, In my opinion at least a new Rich Baker hardcover seems a natural choice. Especially considering the fact that as far as I can tell it is one of, if not the, first FR novel set entirely after the great 1475-divide.

Well met

Whilst we don't usually feature hardcovers in the Book Club, due to too few participants, I feel that this book should receive an entry due to being the intro novel to 4e, in effect. I have just received a draft copy this week, so certainly wasn't expecting it to be in stores yet. I'll hold a vote to see if enough are interested in participating...

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly