Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 General Book Club Discussion
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2005 :  14:41:45  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Book Club is really quite a lot of fun. Thanks to Alaundo, Malarick, and the rest of the moderators for putting it together.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2005 :  20:22:25  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

The Book Club is really quite a lot of fun. Thanks to Alaundo, Malarick, and the rest of the moderators for putting it together.

Paul

Well met

Glad thou art enjoying it, Paul There's certainly some very interesting discussions coming from within. It appears the book is being VERY well received

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Celebrant Moonflower
Acolyte

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2005 :  20:47:07  Show Profile  Visit Celebrant Moonflower's Homepage Send Celebrant Moonflower a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

Paul

Yes, thank you. I am having a whale of a time Thank you too, Mr Kemp for answering my questions.

I hope i am not posting too much. I have a tendancy to go on and on sometimes

When has truth been utterly devoid of paradox?
Go to Top of Page

Malarick
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2005 :  00:01:31  Show Profile Send Malarick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Celebrant Moonflower

I hope i am not posting too much. I have a tendancy to go on and on sometimes

Thanks Paul - I have good faith that the book clubs will become even more popular over time. I am enjoying this one too, so lets hope they continue.

CM - Keep on posting, your threads are exactly what we are looking for!

Everyone else - look forward to seeing you all join in, in future book clubs if not this one!

Malarick
Go to Top of Page

Magus Rages
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2005 :  08:15:53  Show Profile  Visit Magus Rages's Homepage Send Magus Rages a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello to all scribes, and to Malarick too!

Well, it seems the bookclub is running pretty well. Ahem, to be straight to the point, I am interested in seeing discussion on old RSEs and is there anyone besides me interested in seeing a book club dicussion topic dedicated to the Return of the ArchWizards Trilogy?
I know The RotA is not so well favored by many, but I have reasons and a uncondemnable belief that there are others who favor this Trilogy, even myself too. And RSEs have plenty of stuff to talk about anyway, RotA is a good example which I wish would spearhead the discussion of old and new RSEs.

Anyone interested? Come on, those who wish to see a discussion topic dedicated to the Return of the ArchWizards Trilogy, your show of support for this trilogy discussion by replying is greatly appreciated. Or maybe PM me and we will plan a petition to persuade Big Al.
Thanks.

Edited by - Magus Rages on 11 Nov 2005 08:19:15
Go to Top of Page

The Destroyer
Acolyte

9 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2005 :  08:27:30  Show Profile  Visit The Destroyer's Homepage Send The Destroyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am with you in this, Magus, I too had been rather waiting for a true discussion on the RotA Trilogy story. Well, Magus, I am sure there a host of supporters who also wish to see a discussion thread for the RotA Trilogy and I reason that supporters for this discussion thread on the RotA will start moving in soon.

You will have new powers when you are reborn, a form better to serve me with. -Manshoon of Zhentarim,
Go to Top of Page

Magus Rages
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2005 :  08:31:41  Show Profile  Visit Magus Rages's Homepage Send Magus Rages a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Destroyer

I am with you in this, Magus, I too had been rather waiting for a true discussion on the RotA Trilogy story. Well, Magus, I am sure there a host of supporters who also wish to see a discussion thread for the RotA Trilogy and I reason that supporters for this discussion thread on the RotA will start moving in soon.

Good and Thanks! Destroyer. Well, at least there is a someone stepping forth to support the idea of a RotA discussion thread. Those out there, who are in favor of seeing discussion threads for the RotA, your show of support is appreciated, or at least PM me, we will petition and persuade Big Al to open a thread for it.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2005 :  08:44:03  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Magus Rages

quote:
Originally posted by The Destroyer

Good and Thanks! Destroyer. Well, at least there is a someone stepping forth to support the idea of a RotA discussion thread. Those out there, who are in favor of seeing discussion threads for the RotA, your show of support is appreciated, or at least PM me, we will petition and persuade Big Al to open a thread for it.

Well met

Aye, it would be a good trilogy to cover. As to opening up classic book clubs, i'd first like to see how well Elfshadow performs. A lot of ye have this book, so get reading and post thy comments...forthwith

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Malarick
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2005 :  11:30:25  Show Profile Send Malarick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

As to opening up classic book clubs, i'd first like to see how well Elfshadow performs. A lot of ye have this book, so get reading and post thy comments...forthwith

And some of you seem to be a bit confused as to how the book clubs operate.

Remember....you read the book and then post in the relevant section as you go.

If you need any pointers, check out the book club for Midnights Mask.

There were several people asking for the 'classic' club, so I would like to see those people reading. It encourages the big guy to do others in the future!

Malarick
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2005 :  06:03:17  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just started rereading Elfshadow, so you should see me joining in from time to time, Mal. I always like to hear what Elaine has to say.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

Malarick
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2005 :  12:33:40  Show Profile Send Malarick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hammer of Moradin

I just started rereading Elfshadow, so you should see me joining in from time to time, Mal. I always like to hear what Elaine has to say.

Nice one, that is a book club that needs some support, so we can see more 'classics' in the future.

Show em how it's done Hammer

Malarick
Go to Top of Page

Malarick
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2005 :  11:56:16  Show Profile Send Malarick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So then....for those who have been through a book club here, what do you think?

Does author interaction make the book club better than those without?

Did you like the chapter breakdowns? Were they divided in the right places?

Remember there is still plenty of November left, so don't feel like you have missed out. If you are just reading Midnights Mask now, go back over the threads and tell us if you agree with what has been said, or have something else to add.

Thank you for those who have participated so far, and I look forward to seeing even more next month on Ghostwalker

Malarick
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2005 :  18:06:21  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Malarick

So then....for those who have been through a book club here, what do you think?

Does author interaction make the book club better than those without?

Did you like the chapter breakdowns? Were they divided in the right places?

Remember there is still plenty of November left, so don't feel like you have missed out. If you are just reading Midnights Mask now, go back over the threads and tell us if you agree with what has been said, or have something else to add.

Thank you for those who have participated so far, and I look forward to seeing even more next month on Ghostwalker

Excellent!! Midnight's Mask was a great book to start on too. I'd have hoped more people would have participated, but I guess it was hard for many people who wait for all three books before they start a trilogy.

Good stuff anyway, i'll be joining in future book club runs.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2005 :  19:41:48  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really liked the Midnights Mask discussion, and on top of that it does help me to stay focused on not start on too many different books as well. It was a great experience, and dispite the fact that I am reading Finder's Bane and Realms of Dragons right now, I may still pick up Whisper of Waves to pop in on that book club yet.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2005 :  23:03:13  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

The December Book Club is now available and threads are ready to receive posts for Ghostwalker (Book 2 of The Fighters Series), by Erik Scott de Bie.

Please post thy comments therein. Erik will be available to answer any questions and respond to thy comments

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2005 :  17:25:58  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well met

The December Book Club is now available and threads are ready to receive posts for Ghostwalker (Book 2 of The Fighters Series), by Erik Scott de Bie.

Please post thy comments therein. Erik will be available to answer any questions and respond to thy comments

I'm looking forward to this. Erik is a lot of fun to talk to, so the novel should be interesting at the least. If you're not sure about this one, wait a few days once the others start and check out some of the questions and comments, and Erik's answers. You will want to join, I guarantee.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

darkcrow
Learned Scribe

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2005 :  06:27:16  Show Profile  Visit darkcrow's Homepage Send darkcrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is the book going to be for January's discussion?

May Tymora smile upon ye
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2005 :  10:50:35  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by darkcrow

What is the book going to be for January's discussion?

Well met

Murray Leeder will be joining us for Son of Thunder I hope ye will be there to join us

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

darkcrow
Learned Scribe

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2005 :  00:09:13  Show Profile  Visit darkcrow's Homepage Send darkcrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

quote:
Murray Leeder will be joining us for Son of Thunder I hope ye will be there to join us

I havn't read the first two books of the fighters series. Are the books linked or are each book thier own story?

May Tymora smile upon ye
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2005 :  00:21:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I havn't read the first two books of the fighters series. Are the books linked or are each book thier own story?

It is my understanding that each of the class novels is a stand-alone tale, not linked to any others.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

darkcrow
Learned Scribe

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2005 :  03:50:29  Show Profile  Visit darkcrow's Homepage Send darkcrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

It is my understanding that each of the class novels is a stand-alone tale, not linked to any others.

Great, Then I'll be glad to go club'n with ye. The book doesn't come out till the 10th though.

May Tymora smile upon ye
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2005 :  16:47:36  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

This is, indeed, correct.

Some of them have indirect / tacit connections to other books (Blackstaff features Khelben, who's in a lot; Son of Thunder I think features some characters from Murray's Realms of Shadow story; Queen of the Depths has a bit to do with the Year of Rogue Dragons trilogy; I think one of the Rogues novels features someone from Sembia) and all of them are, of course, in the Realms, but there are no other books you have to read before picking them up (or after, for that matter ).

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

darkcrow
Learned Scribe

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2005 :  04:22:15  Show Profile  Visit darkcrow's Homepage Send darkcrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

quote:

quote:

This is, indeed, correct.

Some of them have indirect / tacit connections to other books (Blackstaff features Khelben, who's in a lot; Son of Thunder I think features some characters from Murray's Realms of Shadow story; Queen of the Depths has a bit to do with the Year of Rogue Dragons trilogy; I think one of the Rogues novels features someone from Sembia) and all of them are, of course, in the Realms, but there are no other books you have to read before picking them up (or after, for that matter ).

Cheers

Thanks for clearing that up for me Erik. I really wanted to be apart of the club discussion with your book Ghostwalker but I had to wait till for after christmas to pick it up. This is going to be my first time club'n with you guys and I'm really excited. After I read Son of Thunder, I'll read Ghostwalker and Post my two cents. Thanks again for taking the time to reply to my post.

May Tymora smile upon ye
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2005 :  18:46:16  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Scrolls for the Son of Thunder book club have now been set up. Please feel free to continue discussions of other book clubs in the meantime

As far as I know, Son of Thunder is due for release on 10th January. There is also a discussion area for The Bones of the Beast, a short story due to appear on the WotC site, by Murray Leeder.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2006 :  04:30:40  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
how about more classic novel book club threads. I have been seeing quite a bit of interest/talk about the finder's stone trilogy. If not these, are there plans in motion for other "classic" Forgotten realms novels??

Edited by - scererar on 04 Jan 2006 04:31:52
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2006 :  08:09:26  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

how about more classic novel book club threads. I have been seeing quite a bit of interest/talk about the finder's stone trilogy. If not these, are there plans in motion for other "classic" Forgotten realms novels??

Well met

I was quite disappointed with the results of the last classic book club. We still have only small numbers partaking in the new releases book club, so I am reluctant to run another classic as older books are less likely to be read than new releases.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

silvermage
Seeker

77 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2006 :  10:13:07  Show Profile  Visit silvermage's Homepage Send silvermage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by scererar

Well met

I was quite disappointed with the results of the last classic book club. We still have only small numbers partaking in the new releases book club, so I am reluctant to run another classic as older books are less likely to be read than new releases.

Don't worry, Big Al, as soon as the new books hit the local stores in my state and once I and my fellows start reading them, you certainly won't be disappointed for long. Just blame the shippers for shipping in the books late.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2006 :  20:05:34  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by silvermage

Don't worry, Big Al, as soon as the new books hit the local stores in my state and once I and my fellows start reading them, you certainly won't be disappointed for long. Just blame the shippers for shipping in the books late.

Well met

Glad to hear it, silvermage For 'tis certainly a case of 'the more the merrier' in these situations. I'll look forward to reading thy comments and those of thy companions.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

darkcrow
Learned Scribe

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2006 :  07:01:09  Show Profile  Visit darkcrow's Homepage Send darkcrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would it be safe to assume that The Realms of the Elves will be Febuary's book for discussion?

May Tymora smile upon ye
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2006 :  10:04:51  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Would it be safe to assume that The Realms of the Elves will be Febuary's book for discussion?

Well met

That assumption is quite correct, darkcrow. I have the list of short stories ready for the end of the month

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly