Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Midnight's Mask: Prologue - Chapter 3
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2005 :  15:41:39  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Midnight's Mask. Please discuss the Prologue and Chapters 1 - 3 herein:

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Celebrant Moonflower
Acolyte

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2005 :  13:15:09  Show Profile  Visit Celebrant Moonflower's Homepage Send Celebrant Moonflower a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow I just came back to Candlekeep to write a few thoughts on this book and here i find a book club for it

I am about to start chapter 2 but i just want to talk about what i have read so far, if i may.

Prologue
I thought this was a nice opening and liked the mysterious way it was written. Very eerie, although i often feel uneasy about underwater scenes Paul, if you're reading this, what IS Ssessimith? Is he\it an aboleth? I imagined some great whale-like creature at first, but when you wrote about tenticles, i then thought of some octopus creature.. but with that intelligence, i felt an aboleth was more fitting? You were probably being purposely vague about the creatures description though for later on in the book

I liked how it went on to describe that the city was previously a Shade enclave that once floated on the upturned mountain top.

Chapter 1
WOW! I shivered when i read this. I love it when authors throw you straight back into the tale and this just made everything come flooding back to me from how it ended in Dawn of Night. Straight into the action, straight into that tense scene. I suddenly felt all fuzzy and familiar again: reading about Cale, seeing Mags again and when Cale called Jak "little man" i just smiled.... it's good to be back

I thought the opening to this chapter was perfect. It has been a year since i read the 2nd book and this chapter gave a good recap, but using discussions and feelings given by the characters. When Cale it taking to Mags and Jak about things, it gave all the information that i needed to know. I think this is a very clever way of writing when a trilogy has books that are each a year apart. Good work Paul

I also completely forgot about Mags origins, so little bits like when it said that due to his fiendish nature, he could see in the dark. One simple line - a wealth of information.

Also, straight away in chapter 1 and Paul is using language already Great! I loved this in the other 2 books and i'm happy to see it continued. Custom swear words are fine, but some of our own from this world really bring a tale down to earth in a way... maybe it's just me.

WOW WOW WOW! The whole plan about Riven's betrayal is fully revealed!! I had no idea. This is fantastic (not to mention very clever with the "triggers"). I was so sad when Riven did what he did at the end of book 2. I thought they all had such a good relationship going and when he betrayed them i just wanted to cry. To see it was all a plan was amazing. Paul you must have been grinning so much when people were sad that Riven was revealed as a traitor! Oh i could hit you for making me wait a year to find out it wasn't true!

This chapter is full of everything - action, tension, even humour... I laughed out loud when Azriim went on about his carpets And when Dolgan spat on them too. LOL.

Oh, another scene transition which was great was where the Sojourner arrives and the scene switches back to Cale and Mags who are looking via the contact with Riven and they go "what in the nine hells is that?"...which is probably what Riven thought at that same time. It's hard to explain really but it just had an impact on me how the scene switched over and continued from another angle.

Which reminds me...is a mindmage the common term used by people of the Forgotten Realms for psionics? Don't they call themselves psionics (is that really just a game term)? I think mindmage works better

And then Riven is discovered as being fake by the Sojourner.... I need to start turning the page - this is fantastic!

Sorry for going on so much, i hope you don't mind

When has truth been utterly devoid of paradox?
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2005 :  14:51:45  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Celebrant Moonflower

Paul, if you're reading this, what IS Ssessimith? Is he\it an aboleth?

Celebrant,

Ssesimith is identified later on in the book, but if you really have to know what he is before that, send me a Private Message and I'll let you know. Be warned, though -- I think some of the later scenes have more impact if you're not entirely certain of his nature as the scene unfolds.

As for the term "mindmage," I'm not sure if I made it up or took it from a source book. I'm trying to move away from the word "psionic," since it brings a lot of sci-fi baggage with it. It makes sense to me that folks in the Realms -- a world with lots of magic -- would conceptualize even psionics as a kind of magic (even though we know it isn't).

On this same topic: the term "Invisible Art" as a reference for psionics, is a Realms-specific term. I got it from Eric Boyd in the first instance but it wouldn't surprise me if it originated with Ed.

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 06 Nov 2005 15:35:02
Go to Top of Page

Celebrant Moonflower
Acolyte

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2005 :  18:44:50  Show Profile  Visit Celebrant Moonflower's Homepage Send Celebrant Moonflower a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Paul. I'll decline the offer, thank you, and i'll look forward to the impact later

I agree about the "psionics" term. I never really liked it and "mindmage" has a more unknown and mysterious feel to it.

More ramblings....

Chapter 2
Oh my god, Riven actually does betray them! Nooooooo Although how can they be sure, maybe they think that the "trigger" hasn't kicked in yet for some reason

Paul, when Riven said to Cale "remember what i said to you after the Cyricist in Selgaunt", it did make me wonder what that was (and I know it's revealed in the next chapter), but did you intend to use this particular piece when you wrote it back in the previous book? Do you make notes of things like this, if not? Was it part of the plan all along? Good planning anyway

LOL. It made me laugh when Dolgan puked on the carpet... i'm surprised that Azriim didn't go crazy about that though when he was freed.

Another question... what is the transformation path of slaadi? I know they've just gone from green to grey but is that a natural path for them? Maybe more is revealed later though.

I loved how it went "back to where it all began...in Selgaunt" at the end of the chapter. Simply statement, very effective.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2005 :  19:33:59  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had a very strong feeling that Drasek wasn't spontaneously betraying the rest of the group at the end of the last book. I know that the first thing I thought of was his comment about never leaving an enemy alive, and if he had decided to act on his desire to be the First of Mask, Cale would not be the first person to be excepted from this rule. What is really interesting is the potential double layer of deception this set up. Could it be that there was a second set of sbliminal commands that Magadon, Cale, and Drasek worked out? What makes this intruiging is that for this to work, Clae wuld ahve to bery straight forward about Drasek's personality to Drasek, and Drasek would have to be very candid with Cale in response. Essentially Cale woudl have to realize that Drasek, gvien the right situation, would turn on them all and kill Cale to becoem the First, and Drasek would have to admit it for the whole plan to work.

I like seeing psionics being integrated so well into a very Realmsian feeling book. While there is a ton of lore, accurately represented, we also have the Invisible Art being shown as a part, if not a well known or understoop part, of the makeup of the Realms.

I like Magadon and Jak, but I'm holding off on making any major comments on them so far, as both of them are more or less reacting to the games that Cale, Vhostym, and Riven have been setting in motion. I know more will come of their characters by the end of the book, but right now, they are in the background.

Cale is fascinating to me because he often seems so noble, and yet he cannot see himself this way becuase of his past and his feelings that he is suppose to be a preist of Mask. He feels too tied to Mask to ever be "good." In essense, it seems to be a self fulfilling prophesy that Cale will always dwell on the slightest dark thought that he as, and thus deny any higher motivation that he might have. This was really evident in Skullport. He denies himself even the hope of really starting a "normal" relationship when its offered to him, since he feels that he is being drawn to Mask's work.

An interesting comparision occured to me. As far as the planes go, the Plane of Shadows is not itself an evil plane, but due to its nature it twists things that live there too long and it provides evil creatures and the unnatural a bastion to hide, thus making the Plane more dangerous than its "alignment" would indicate. In a way, that reminds me of Cale himself.
Go to Top of Page

Malarick
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2005 :  19:37:59  Show Profile Send Malarick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wow I just came back to Candlekeep to write a few thoughts on this book and here i find a book club for it

And what an excellent start you have made. I am pleased to see this kind of commentary in this book club, as this is exactly what they are here for.

I look forward to joining you this week, and I look forward to reading everyone elses posts!

Malarick
Go to Top of Page

CreepyBastard
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2005 :  22:44:57  Show Profile  Visit CreepyBastard's Homepage Send CreepyBastard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Paul

Excellent book. I am actually more than halfway done -- as usual your books are never long enough.

I definitely liked the way you started the book. However, I was not fooled by Riven's betrayal in the least. So I am glad we learned of the mindwipe early on.

I forgot how much I like Azriim and Dolgan. They are so excellently written that I can't decide who I am cheering for.

Another great thing about this trilogy is the fact that I still have no idea what Vhostym is planning on doing.
Go to Top of Page

Celebrant Moonflower
Acolyte

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2005 :  22:54:28  Show Profile  Visit Celebrant Moonflower's Homepage Send Celebrant Moonflower a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CreepyBastard

Hey Paul

Excellent book. I am actually more than halfway done -- as usual your books are never long enough.

I definitely liked the way you started the book. However, I was not fooled by Riven's betrayal in the least. So I am glad we learned of the mindwipe early on.

I forgot how much I like Azriim and Dolgan. They are so excellently written that I can't decide who I am cheering for.

Another great thing about this trilogy is the fact that I still have no idea what Vhostym is planning on doing.

CreepyBas... er, Mr Creepy... Why weren't you fooled by the betrayal scenario? I was totally taken in by this and never saw it coming? It has been a year since i read Dawn of Night so maybe i just missed something? Same question goes to you KnightErrant, please

Go to Top of Page

Celebrant Moonflower
Acolyte

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2005 :  23:00:27  Show Profile  Visit Celebrant Moonflower's Homepage Send Celebrant Moonflower a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chapter 3

Back in Skullport and I love it I liked the way it showed all the ruins and chaos and described the variety of inhabitants sifting through the rubble - likely to be looters. Such is the nature of Skullport.

The dark feeling of Skullport really came out in this chapter and it was a nice (not sure "nice" is the right word) little piece where the chained human slaves are led through the streets and Jak says "someday" (in reference to freeing the slaves), which is then repeated by Cale. It just put a really dour feeling to the scene. Fantastic writing, Mr Kemp.

The reunion scene with Varra was beautiful...and the parting again was so sad - leaving her stood in the doorway. Carry on like this Mr Kemp and you will have me crying!

Go to Top of Page

CreepyBastard
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2005 :  01:22:00  Show Profile  Visit CreepyBastard's Homepage Send CreepyBastard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
CreepyBas... er, Mr Creepy... Why weren't you fooled by the betrayal scenario? I was totally taken in by this and never saw it coming? It has been a year since i read Dawn of Night so maybe i just missed something? Same question goes to you KnightErrant, please

Hey there,

Every step of the way Riven was with Cale. Riven hated Azriim and the rest just as much as, if not more than, Cale. The change in attitude was far too extreme, far too drastic.

That and the fact that Riven left Cale alive... he never leaves anyone alive... that was the perfect opportunity to do it.

Another assurance was that Cale and Riven were the First and Second of Mask.

Yeah, it has been a long time since Dawn of Night. In your post you mentioned things rushing back... that is exactly the way I felt.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2005 :  13:44:50  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Paul, when Riven said to Cale "remember what i said to you after the Cyricist in Selgaunt", it did make me wonder what that was (and I know it's revealed in the next chapter), but did you intend to use this particular piece when you wrote it back in the previous book? Do you make notes of things like this, if not? Was it part of the plan all along? Good planning anyway

Celebrant,

That reference actually comes from the short story, "All the Sinners Saints," which appeared in Dragon 297. As for planning it out *exactly* that way -- I'll say yes, and try to make my bluff roll.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2005 :  13:49:17  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thank you, CB. It is understandable that you were skeptical of Riven's betrayal. The facts were there -- As KnightErrant observed above, Riven is not in the habit of leaving enemies alive. That he left Cale alive was meant to be telling. Good catch.
Go to Top of Page

CreepyBastard
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2005 :  14:38:25  Show Profile  Visit CreepyBastard's Homepage Send CreepyBastard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Thank you, CB. It is understandable that you were skeptical of Riven's betrayal. The facts were there -- As KnightErrant observed above, Riven is not in the habit of leaving enemies alive. That he left Cale alive was meant to be telling. Good catch.

Actually, it was more of the 'it doesn't make sense that he would betray Cale' argument.

Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2005 :  15:49:45  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

[quote]

Actually, it was more of the 'it doesn't make sense that he would betray Cale' argument.

Ah, I see.

You give Riven more credit than some.

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 07 Nov 2005 15:57:43
Go to Top of Page

CreepyBastard
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2005 :  16:48:42  Show Profile  Visit CreepyBastard's Homepage Send CreepyBastard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Ah, I see.

You give Riven more credit than some.

I don’t think people give Riven enough credit.

Riven does not have a god enough reason to betray Cale. Based on the events throughout the books, any real betrayal by Riven would have made no sense. There would have been no logical reason.

For one, Riven is not stupid. While he is ‘evil’, that doesn’t mean he is driven to do ‘evil’ things for the sake of them being ‘evil’. What I really like about Riven is that he is real and believable.

My view of Riven:

Riven doesn’t actually care about being The First of Mask. He does, simply because it irks him that Cale was chosen as The First. Deep down inside, Riven prefers his station as The Second.

I don’t think he craves leadership in the sense of being in a position where he is actually a leader. If this was true, he would have made his move for more power early in his career. Riven is naturally a loner. He prefers to work alone and rely only on himself. The extent of his desire for leadership is only in the sense of being n control of himself and his own destiny. He wouldn’t want the responsibility. Besides, he also knows that Cale is more of a leader anyway.

ok... so I may be way off... thats what happens when you have too much time on your hands.
Go to Top of Page

Celebrant Moonflower
Acolyte

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2005 :  20:19:34  Show Profile  Visit Celebrant Moonflower's Homepage Send Celebrant Moonflower a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

quote:

Celebrant,

That reference actually comes from the short story, "All the Sinners Saints," which appeared in Dragon 297. As for planning it out *exactly* that way -- I'll say yes, and try to make my bluff roll.

Oh that's great. Thank you for in information I've noted down Dragon short stories which have been listed in another thread here at Candlekeep and I actually wanted to go through and read your Cale stories before this book. I think though that knowing what you just said, it will make it more enjoyable and special this way around

Go to Top of Page

Celebrant Moonflower
Acolyte

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2005 :  20:21:55  Show Profile  Visit Celebrant Moonflower's Homepage Send Celebrant Moonflower a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
[brHey there,

Every step of the way Riven was with Cale. Riven hated Azriim and the rest just as much as, if not more than, Cale. The change in attitude was far too extreme, far too drastic.

That and the fact that Riven left Cale alive... he never leaves anyone alive... that was the perfect opportunity to do it.

Yeah, it has been a long time since Dawn of Night. In your post you mentioned things rushing back... that is exactly the way I felt.

Really? I think that Cale and Riven had built up a mutual respect for each other. I guess I was so gullable to believe that Riven had actually changed This is one thing that makes these two characters so interesting. There is still that unpredictable element that continues to catch me off guard

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2005 :  20:48:55  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I loved Shadows Witness, Twilight Falling was fantastic. You'll never beat it, I thought. But Dawn of Night knocked me for six. And now, Midnight's Mask looks to do the same! What an excellent start to the book!

As Moonflower and Creepy said, it sure is straight back into the action and the closing scene of book 2. I will definately read all 3 books again, back to back. I hope one day WotC will do a rerelease of the trilogy in one collected hardcover

Ahh, so a city of Shade underwater is coming into play eh? Nice I'm looking forward to reading more on this character and setting ::drool::

I agree with you there Creepy about not giving Riven enough credit! He's a fantastic character and certainly shouldn't be taken from granted. Both him and Cale have been through so much since we first met them, and have become quite complex characters.

Ya know, I also loved that familiar feeling whilst reading the book. I feel that i've gotten so attached to these characters. It's good to have them back alright!

Streuth! thats one wicked twist about the plan to have Riven betray them at the trigger of certain actions. Amazingly thought out. Paul, was this all planned when you first started the trilogy? Did you have the complete story of all three books planned before you started writing, or were some parts of the story built along the way? This betrayal planning is damn clever

I feel ashamed to ask this, but what was the full story of Varra? I recall a few things about her from the last book but it's a little hazy for me at the moment and it's driving me mad.

So far, i'm thoroughly enjoying this book and it's hard to put down. Definately one of the best FR novels i've read over the past year or so!

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2005 :  20:51:15  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
[brHey there,

Really? I think that Cale and Riven had built up a mutual respect for each other. I guess I was so gullable to believe that Riven had actually changed This is one thing that makes these two characters so interesting. There is still that unpredictable element that continues to catch me off guard

Gullible? you and me both I never saw it coming. Despite Riven being a Zhent assassin and a follower of Mask... nope. Ya sure had me roped in and completely fooled, Paul Certainly one of those "scream Noooooo at the book" moments!

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2005 :  21:08:42  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

Streuth! thats one wicked twist about the plan to have Riven betray them at the trigger of certain actions. Amazingly thought out. Paul, was this all planned when you first started the trilogy? Did you have the complete story of all three books planned before you started writing, or were some parts of the story built along the way? This betrayal planning is damn clever

I feel ashamed to ask this, but what was the full story of Varra? I recall a few things about her from the last book but it's a little hazy for me at the moment and it's driving me mad.

Rad,

I'm delighted that you're enjoying the book. And writing stories about these characters is like visiting old friends for me, too.

On outlining: I have a general outine of the whole trilogy, and then detailed outines of each book as I go along. The betrayal, however, was one that I had planned at the outset. I'm glad that you did not see it coming! That makes it more fun when the truth is revealed.

As for Varra: her whole story has not been told. Cale has inferred that she is educated. She has mentioned that she's been in Skullport a long time, and has obliquely admitted to a "checkered" past. Other than that, she is a mystery.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2005 :  01:36:48  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those are the most interesting kind of women (he says as he checks over his shoulder for his beutiful bride).
Go to Top of Page

Malarick
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2005 :  11:35:04  Show Profile Send Malarick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

WOW WOW WOW! The whole plan about Riven's betrayal is fully revealed!! I had no idea.

I also had no idea about this. And I thought this was a fantastic way to start the book, to get your mind reeling back and remembering the end of the last novel.

I can remember discussing Dawn of Night with Rad, as we had been reading the book while we were both on holiday (on separate continents) and were gagging to scream out about Riven's betrayal. I just was so angry!

I can see this is a novel I am going to find hard to put down!

Malarick
Go to Top of Page

CreepyBastard
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2005 :  13:37:20  Show Profile  Visit CreepyBastard's Homepage Send CreepyBastard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

They are definitely some of the best characters I have read. Cale and Riven both remind me of Edgar Rice Burrough's characters. Heroes that are fearless and tough.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2005 :  19:18:28  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Malarick

I can remember discussing Dawn of Night with Rad, as we had been reading the book while we were both on holiday (on separate continents) and were gagging to scream out about Riven's betrayal. I just was so angry!

I can see this is a novel I am going to find hard to put down!

That's right. The novel had such an impact and it's often cropped up in conversation during the year-long anticipation of Midnight's Mask
Riven's character is amazing. He's one of my favorite FR characters of all time. I love the relationship between him and Cale too so was gutted when the betrayal occured in the last book. Of course, that's what makes Riven even more interesting

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2005 :  19:22:52  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Those are the most interesting kind of women (he says as he checks over his shoulder for his beutiful bride).

Well i guess there's more about Varra later on in the book. I hope so, as she does intrigue me, strangely.

I wonder if Cale is seeing something of Tazi in Varra? Is Varra like a Tazi substitute for him? I still don't think he is over Tazi, and never will be. Paul, would you like to pair those two off again at some point and write a tale on them maybe? I know Tazi was Voronica Whitney-Robinsons character but I assume you must have interacted at some point for the story between the two. Would you be able to use her character for your own means...if you had the desire to?

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Malarick
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2005 :  23:52:36  Show Profile Send Malarick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

I wonder if Cale is seeing something of Tazi in Varra? Is Varra like a Tazi substitute for him?

Hehehe....it is uncanny that you were thinking of this. I just put the book down for a moment at the end of chapter 3 and thought I must post something about Thazienne and Varra.

I would like to think that Cale is just trying to move on now. Or is Varra just the rebound girl?

That said, it was unrequited between Cale and Tazi (sort of) and here he seems to be finding someone who reciprocates affections.

Looking forward to seeing how that plays out!

Malarick
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2005 :  00:53:11  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rad and Mal,

I think the attraction between Cale and Varra is the result of both of them having similar pasts, in that both have done things of which they're ashamed. Both wallowed in the mud of sin at points in their past, and neither has fully forgiven himself/herself. But they're both working on it, even though the world is still a hard place and absolution hard to find.

In a Freudian sense, they're each attracted to the other's neuroses.

Read on. You may come to know Varra a bit better yet.

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 09 Nov 2005 00:58:22
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2005 :  06:26:55  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just picked up this book tonight. I noticed that the book is slated for the november book, but I hope I can find other people out there who would be able to discuss this with me as I read it. I am going to get ghostwalker soon, in order to be up to speed, but is there anyone else in the same boat. let me know
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2005 :  09:54:38  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

I just picked up this book tonight. I noticed that the book is slated for the november book, but I hope I can find other people out there who would be able to discuss this with me as I read it. I am going to get ghostwalker soon, in order to be up to speed, but is there anyone else in the same boat. let me know

Well met, scererar

Indeed, the Midnight's Mask book club here at Candlekeep is still open, so please feel free to post thy comments. I'm sure Paul will be more than happy to answer any questions and other readers, past and present, join in with ye

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2005 :  11:10:42  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

At the very least, you can discuss it with me, Scererar. :-)
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2005 :  15:46:13  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I loved this book, so if you have any thoughts on it, it is still quite fresh in my mind Scererar, so please, post whatever your thoughts might be. Besides, it give me more excuses to pick Paul's brain if a good point comes up, lol.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000