Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Anyone up for a email game?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  04:45:47  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So,

Arivia and the Sage expressed interest in me running a email game. :) I'm looking for at least two more players but I'd like to max it to around six players.

Um, I use the FRCS rules still for feats and equipment. So, as a homebrew rule, you can take one regional feat for free plus your other feats and one of the regional items. Oh, yeah start at first level and use max HP's for class, max money, and for stats I use 4d6 drop the lowest and then arrange the seven #'s to taste. I say seven because I use Comulness still and I spelled that so badly. :) Oh, the Star elves are out and in my FR the Wood/Wild elves are still the same subrace so use the wood elf stats. I also kept the 2e rules for the deities, lay worshippers, and divine casters, so there is no 1 step rule.

ECL... I tend to ignore but I might say no to a race that is chosen if it doesn't suit the campaign. Once I get character sheets, I'll flush out the campaign. My FR is different as well but I'd have to find my file where I have some of the changes detailed... if I still have it and it wasn't lost in a HD death.

As an email game, it'll be more RP and less combat.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 25 Oct 2005 07:30:08

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  04:47:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One free regional feat? That was in the original rules? Woah. We'd still have to be of a favored class, right?

This'll be my first game ever with Comeliness...
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  04:54:59  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

One free regional feat? That was in the original rules? Woah. We'd still have to be of a favored class, right?

No, that wasn't in the rules but it was one of my house rules. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  04:58:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

Nice-so do we need to be of one of the region-favored classes?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  05:20:02  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Nice-so do we need to be of one of the region-favored classes?

Nah. :)

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  08:05:53  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd be interested in joining in, if those already involved won't mind a newbie in a completely different timezone And don't be afraid about turning me down, I'm a geek and thus fairly used to being told no

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  08:11:38  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

I'd be interested in joining in, if those already involved won't mind a newbie in a completely different timezone And don't be afraid about turning me down, I'm a geek and thus fairly used to being told no

We are all in different time zones. :)

As for chars, I know one is a lythari mage but please, make a char YOU want to play and not what you think the party needs. :)

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  08:12:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

We're discussing this indepth on IRC(see down in Site Content-the chat thread.)

And I'm playing the lythari mage...with a starting Dexterity of 22.

EDIT: Kuje's left for now, so I'm the only one there.

Edited by - Arivia on 25 Oct 2005 08:22:53
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  08:50:13  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I work nights, so I'm going to go to bed now, gonna think more on a character after that

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  14:22:38  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And if you need another player, I am more than willing to join up. I'll get back to you guys with a character concept in the next couple of hours. But right now I am thinking Ranger - and probably Elven of some sort (Not with scimitars and not with lavender eyes, either! )

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  16:23:28  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

And if you need another player, I am more than willing to join up. I'll get back to you guys with a character concept in the next couple of hours. But right now I am thinking Ranger - and probably Elven of some sort (Not with scimitars and not with lavender eyes, either! )

C-Fb

Snds good. :)

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  16:23:51  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, I work nights, so I'm going to go to bed now, gonna think more on a character after that

Works for me.

Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  20:52:07  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds fun :). But I think I would be in over my head if I attempted this, since I've only been playing for a couple of years. Plus I have no idea how an email game works

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?

Edited by - Kes_Alanadel on 25 Oct 2005 20:53:27
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  20:55:01  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right, so...up and about again. So far I'm thinking of keeping it simple, being a newb and all. Half-elf bard or possibly fighter. I'd probably be better at being a bard than a fighter I think, but can't really be sure as of yet.

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  21:20:34  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kes_Alanadel

Sounds fun :). But I think I would be in over my head if I attempted this, since I've only been playing for a couple of years. Plus I have no idea how an email game works

Nah, if you want to join we can help you make your char. :) Email games are not much different then table top except they are over email. :)

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  21:21:25  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Either would be cool. :) Your choice though on which to pick.

Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  21:26:54  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

*Snickers*
Is this going to be 2e or 3e? 'Cause I know nothing about 2e . If it's 3e I'll do it, and I'll think on a concept this afternoon at work
~Kes

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  21:58:36  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

*Snickers*
Is this going to be 2e or 3e? 'Cause I know nothing about 2e . If it's 3e I'll do it, and I'll think on a concept this afternoon at work
~Kes

Mostly 3/3.5e but with a few changes if they are mechanics I don't agree with. Those changes might include some of the 2e mechanics but mostly it's a 3/3.5e game. :)

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  22:08:27  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bard it is. I'll work out the details during tomorrow's rain-drenched work-hours.

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  22:10:30  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Bard it is. I'll work out the details during tomorrow's rain-drenched work-hours.

Snds good. :)

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  22:13:55  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*toys with idea*

What level?
You using web dice or other dice roller?
How much time allowe for replies between emails?
Any general idea of campaign being provided?
Will you expect players to use IRC in addition to email?

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  22:22:05  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

*toys with idea*

What level?
You using web dice or other dice roller?
How much time allowe for replies between emails?
Any general idea of campaign being provided?
Will you expect players to use IRC in addition to email?

1st.
I'm trusting the players to give me dice rolls and not to cheat. :)
I'll send out my combinued email once or twice a day depending on how many replies I get back.
Not sure on the campaign yet till I get chars.
I'm going strickly by email because chat games are hard to follow cause of the scrolling.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  22:23:12  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's the house rules I recall off hand. :)

1) All knowledge and profession skills are class skills for every class.

2) For those that have the Healing skill it also heals (if the check is made) 1d3 damage. If you have herbalism also gives a +1 to that 1d3. (Old rule for 2E, not really sure why they removed that, d3 hps isn’t that unbalanced).

3) If you want a spell, skill, prestige class, etc (prestige classes we would have to talk about though. I tend to be a stickler on prestige classes and feel they are over used but if it's some thing someone is interested in I will work it into the game as a roleplaying opportunity). Let me know what book it is in and if I have the book I’ll look it over, if I don’t have the book then I’ll ask for the info.

4) Character generation is 4d6 drop the lowest and then arrange stats to taste. At 1st level use max hps + Con modifier and max money. Any level from that, either use half the die # (so for example, a barbarian it would be 6 + Con modifier) or roll a d12 + Con modifier and keep the number you rolled. Also take one set of regional equipment as free items and one regional feat as a free bonus feat. (The regional items are for FR players, an I don’t use the updated regional rules that are in the Player’s Guide.) All alignments are open also.

5) Also I tend not to worry too much about alignments, as I said on my post as long as some one supplies a good enough background, description and info on their character then an alignment won’t really be needed.

Forgotten Realms house rules are below (Some of these will not be known by some characters depending on where the PC’s are from):

1) The Time of Troubles never happened in my version of FR. So that means that Bane, Bhaal, Myrkul, Mystra and the few other gods who died in the world never did, and the 3 mortals who became gods never did either.

3) Also I still use the Multiverse for the default realms planar alignments and cosmotology, since there is not much info on the new realms planes, and I've always been a fan of Planescape.

4) Cormyr was never attacked by its ancient evils. However, an old PC, named Fletcher, married Alusair and they are now the King and Queen. Azoun and his wife stepped down and retired from the Court. Tanalasta also is still alive because of this, and the new king and queen also have children, but they are still toddlers, except for the eldest daughter who is an adult.

5) I also haven’t added the return of Shade and the Silence of Lolth in my games. So Evereska is not a ruin, but some thing has destroyed Tilverton.

6) There is also an elven town, called Culcandil Keep, on the northern border that was once Cormyr where an ancient elven artifact, the Tree of Souls, has been planted. That land was succeeded to the elven people when the new King was crowned, since the builder of the elven city is a friend and party member of the new king.

7) There is also another city to in the North called Sylverstar Keep and it is also connected to Silverymoon by paved roads. It’s north and a little west of the High Forest.

8) There are also two new goddesses. One is Eilistraee’s drow daughter, and she stays with her mother. Her name is Rhylea'riylene. Her portfolios are the Stars and Witches (She was made in 2e, when there was a witch class.) The other deity is Mara'athenfi Vannabael. She is a demipower who lives on Faerun, her only portfolio is Rangers. She is Solonor’s child and part of the Seldarine.

9) Star elves from Unapproachable East sourcebook also do not exist, and wild elves don’t either. Wild elves are still a subrace of wood elves, so any one wanting to play a wild elf would use the stats for wood elves and the wood elf’s description. None of the grey or blue-black skin tones listed in Underdark for drow exist either, drow are ebony and always will be.

10) Also, I don’t use the 1 step rule for divine casters. I use the old rules from 2e for followers and divine casters.

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  22:25:52  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sweet - time to print those out and give them a try. I might take you up on the new Ranger goddess - what alignment is she?

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  23:02:59  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sweet - time to print those out and give them a try. I might take you up on the new Ranger goddess - what alignment is she?

C-Fb

Let me dig through my notes and find it. :)

She'd be CG and have the same alignments Solonor's layworshippers and divine casters have in Demihuman Deities.

Edited by - Kuje on 25 Oct 2005 23:09:49
Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  02:30:52  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What books are allowed Kuje? And if there is still room I think I would like to try it :). But everyone will have to give me a break, since I don't know any of the 2e lore or rules (slowly building the 2e sourcebook collection)

*prints out rules and looks them over for any questions from the get go*

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  02:33:35  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We're plaing 3e Kes.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  02:33:46  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What books are allowed Kuje? And if there is still room I think I would like to try it :). But everyone will have to give me a break, since I don't know any of the 2e lore or rules (slowly building the 2e sourcebook collection)

*prints out rules and looks them over for any questions from the get go*

Any of the 3/3.5e books I own, which is most of the WOTC ones, so enjoy. :)

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  02:35:03  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So let me a get a roll call on who is interested. :)

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  02:37:28  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm in and the character's been sent!

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  02:39:05  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

We're plaing 3e Kes.

C-Fb

I know that we are playing 3e , but some of what Kuje is including is from 2e (comeliness, the cosmology, etc). That's what may hang me up once in a while

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000