Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Promise of the Witch king sample chapter
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2005 :  08:13:50  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

I dont know if this is old news or not but Wizards have posted a sample chapter for Promise of the Witch King

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/samplechapters/welcome

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2005 :  08:16:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Strangely, or perhaps rather not so strangely, I was more intrigued by the sample chapter for Sanctuary...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2005 :  08:40:16  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Strangely, or perhaps rather not so strangely, I was more intrigued by the sample chapter for Sanctuary...

HERETIC!!!!

Alaundo! SAGE IS LOOKING AT NONE REALMS MATERIAL AGAIN!!!

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2005 :  09:20:06  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:

HERETIC!!!!

Alaundo! SAGE IS LOOKING AT NONE REALMS MATERIAL AGAIN!!!

::choke, splutter::

Strap The Sage down and stack the heaviest tomes of Realmslore upon his chest! THEN he will learn to appreciate Toril o'er Krynn

Tell me, has anyone read this sample chapter yet? I'm very interested to hear thy thoughts on this. Sadly, I won't be picking up this tale myself until the paperback release.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2005 :  10:51:09  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

::choke, splutter::

Strap The Sage down and stack the heaviest tomes of Realmslore upon his chest! THEN he will learn to appreciate Toril o'er Krynn

Tell me, has anyone read this sample chapter yet? I'm very interested to hear thy thoughts on this. Sadly, I won't be picking up this tale myself until the paperback release.

I assume your refering to the Promise of the Witch king Sample chapter Alaundo?

*Reaches for the Hot irons just in case*

I read it, the sample chapters good, it did give me flash backs to Raiders of the Lost Ark though!

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2005 :  14:46:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Sadly, I won't be picking up this tale myself until the paperback release.
I've exceeded my hardback quota for this year, and a little into the next... so I'll likely wait until PotWK is available in paperback as well.

Besides, my RAS-based novels shelf is rapidly running out of room. Purchasing the paperback will at least slow down my need to purchase a new shelving system to accomodate the burgeoning RAS books overflow.

Edited by - The Sage on 19 Oct 2005 14:48:04
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2005 :  17:10:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't care about RAS enough anymore to pick up his books in hardcover. I may check this book out from the library, but I'll not purchase it until it comes out in paperback.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2005 :  18:21:16  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I don't care about RAS enough anymore to pick up his books in hardcover. I may check this book out from the library, but I'll not purchase it until it comes out in paperback.

Or appear in bargain corners/second-hand bookstores.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2005 :  21:11:52  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I may end up taking it out of the library myself. I prefer to buy all my FR novels, but I'm kind of broke right now and I don't know if I should use my credit card just to buy this book.

As for the sample chapter, the I'm curious but the computer I'm on won't let me read it. :p

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Ignorance Personified
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2005 :  22:27:39  Show Profile  Visit Ignorance Personified's Homepage Send Ignorance Personified a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Originally Posted by: Dargoth
I read it, the sample chapters good, it did give me flash backs to Raiders of the Lost Ark though!

I felt the same way after I finished it.

quote:

Originally Posted by: Wooly Rupert
I don't care about RAS enough anymore to pick up his books in hardcover.

Understandable, The Two Swords (and perhaps the entire Hunter's Blade Trilogy) was lackluster (at best), but nevertheless I will pick up Promise of the Witch King in HC.

Carthago delenda est.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2005 :  23:04:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ignorance Personified

quote:

Originally Posted by: Wooly Rupert
I don't care about RAS enough anymore to pick up his books in hardcover.

Understandable, The Two Swords (and perhaps the entire Hunter's Blade Trilogy) was lackluster (at best), but nevertheless I will pick up Promise of the Witch King in HC.

I've actually not even read that trilogy, yet. It's a combination of things: little time for reading, being tired of Drizzt, and the fact that I waited for all three books to make paperback.

I am looking forward to Promise of the Witch King, just not enough to buy it in hardcover.

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2005 :  02:06:58  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Wooly - if you want to borrow mine after I read it, I will gladly let you.

Have to promote dark elves where and when I can!

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2005 :  03:35:11  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I skimmed the sample chapter. I thought some parts of it were kinda corny, but eventually I'll read it.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Destroyer
Acolyte

9 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2005 :  11:14:55  Show Profile  Visit The Destroyer's Homepage Send The Destroyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The chapter was enough to fuel my thirst for more of the story, I am currently still seeking the book.

You will have new powers when you are reborn, a form better to serve me with. -Manshoon of Zhentarim,
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2005 :  21:38:28  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the benefits of working in a bookstore is the chance to view some of the upcoming books before the release date. I have not purchased this, yet, but I have been reading it. So far, I must say I am surprised. This is the Bob Salvatore writing that hooked me on his other books years ago.
Doing a little research revealed that Bob wrote the sourcebook for the setting of PotWK, which is reflected in his material making it that much more interesting. I've wanted to set a campaign in the area, the Bloodstone Lands, for several years, and now I must!
I agree that some of the last few books have become staid and redundant, but check this one out, you will not be disappointed. That said, I'm into chapter four right now, so I'm not quite done.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2005 :  01:51:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hammer of Moradin

[...]

Hey Hammer, I just released you've taken the same quote from CoS that I did. You even used it for your sig .

Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2005 :  05:05:57  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by hammer of Moradin

[...]

Hey Hammer, I just released you've taken the same quote from CoS that I did. You even used it for your sig .

I marked this quote when I came across it. It took me at least a week to get on here to add it to my sig even though I knew when I read it that I would have to put it in there.
Such a true statement. I wonder which of the two great authors came up with it.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

hooper101
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  22:19:16  Show Profile  Visit hooper101's Homepage Send hooper101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dont know what everybody else is talking about! This was Salvatore at his best, I admit the giant ball was arip but I felt that was the least of his worries. I found it the action packed stuff Bob is famous for. I am a fan boy though but I am a literature teacher and found value and excitement in the story. If you dont like Drizzt try Demon War stuff, I know I am about to be slandered for a non realms reference.

Die, die, die ,die, die, why won't you just die you silly dragon!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  22:55:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hooper101

If you dont like Drizzt try Demon War stuff, I know I am about to be slandered for a non realms reference.

The two non-Realms books by RAS that I've read were enough to convince me to stick to his Realms stuff.

Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  23:06:20  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The two non-Realms books by RAS that I've read were enough to convince me to stick to his Realms stuff.

Was one of them Vector Prime, by any chance?
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11744 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  23:14:51  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Being that RAS wrote the original Bloodstone lands accessory (granted he had help from the modules), and I love that accessory... I'm gonna pick it up even in hardcover.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  23:47:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Winterfox

quote:

Was one of them Vector Prime, by any chance?

Nope. Echoes of the Fourth Magic and The Woods Out Back. Other than a single Stackpole novel, the only Star Wars novels I've read have been the Zahn books.

Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2005 :  00:00:07  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahhh.

I keep being told that his non-FR books are far superior to his FR ones. Have never read any of them, though. Could I have your thoughts on the ones that you've read?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2005 :  01:00:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, not liking those two, I've not read them in many years. So I'm not the best person to ask.

Go to Top of Page

hooper101
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2005 :  16:38:19  Show Profile  Visit hooper101's Homepage Send hooper101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Winterfox, The demon war stuff is great. Salvatore writes at a much more mature level in his own world. There he is allowed todo the things he wants. I will tell you most put them down after the first two because the person you percieve to be the main character is killed. Sorry for a bit of a spoiler but a friendly one. The world is so different from FR Salvatore gets his hands on something of his very own. If you like Villans who seem unbeatable and odds that really are impossible to overcome then read them. One of the novel (Mortalis) is about a plauge that cant be cured by the priest. While he was writing his mother-in-law and Brother died of cancer. I dont know about you, but I like the novels where a bit of the authors heart slips in. Read them I promise you will not be disappointed. If you are I will be suprised and we can talk about it. As for the others the Luthien gamble or Crimson Shadow series is a fun read where one of his funniest characters resides (Oliver Deburrows the highway halfling). The woods outback is okay, its good for a chuckle but honestly RAS puts too much of his liberal anti-bush-war feelings into it. It does have some funny moments like a lepracaun named Mickey reading Tolkien while the group is being chased by trolls in broad daylight and say to the main character " you go back to your world an tell Mr. Tolkien that ye seen a troll by the light o day". Those novels would probablly be great starter novels for a ten to twelve year old to read, My nine year old nephew loved them after he read Tolkien. As for echoes and those, I have them, I have started to read them and never been caught up by them. Then again, I dont really like the idea of a human from our realm going into another realm of fantasy.

Go to Top of Page

Belthor
Seeker

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2005 :  16:52:00  Show Profile  Visit Belthor's Homepage Send Belthor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it a bad thing to be compared to Raiders of the Lost Ark? I think that Bob has outdone himself with Promise. This is the best sample chapter that we've gotten from him in a while; even if it is high tension, high action. Admittedly, I'm a big Salvatore fan, realms or non realms. You should try The Highwayman for an entertaining and yet poignant non realms novel. Bob rocks!

If the rest of humanity were only as smart as my familiar......
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2005 :  17:29:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hooper101

The woods outback is okay, its good for a chuckle but honestly RAS puts too much of his liberal anti-bush-war feelings into it.

That's a neat trick, considering that the book was originally published in 1993.

Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2005 :  18:15:44  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Belthor

You should try The Highwayman for an entertaining and yet poignant non realms novel. Bob rocks!

Wasn`t there a FR short story in THE HIGHWAYMAN?
What titel has this Short Story?
Go to Top of Page

hooper101
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2005 :  19:20:00  Show Profile  Visit hooper101's Homepage Send hooper101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was speaking of W's Dad and the Desert Storm, not of our current stint

Go to Top of Page

Ignorance Personified
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2005 :  03:30:47  Show Profile  Visit Ignorance Personified's Homepage Send Ignorance Personified a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally Posted by Lameth

Wasn`t there a FR short story in THE HIGHWAYMAN?
What titel has this Short Story?

Yes, "The Dowry".

Mod Edit: Let's keep the discussion to Realms topics fellow scribes

Carthago delenda est.

Edited by - The Sage on 28 Oct 2005 03:46:21
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2005 :  03:42:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, that's enough of the references to real world political leaders.

Let us return to discussing PotWK by RAS .

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000