Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Promise of the Witch king sample chapter
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2005 :  14:35:48  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The book flows really well - I have read the first couple of chapters so far, and am loving it. And, if I am not correct, I have heard that Artemis gets some kind of love interest, though I am not sure.

The sample chapter is great and shows a lot of what this book has in store (least I hope the rest of the book is like that!)

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

hooper101
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2005 :  16:10:38  Show Profile  Visit hooper101's Homepage Send hooper101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
14 chapters in and and it is a fun read some of the things that occur are true laugh out loud stuff

Die, die, die ,die, die, why won't you just die you silly dragon!
Go to Top of Page

Ignorance Personified
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2005 :  17:19:15  Show Profile  Visit Ignorance Personified's Homepage Send Ignorance Personified a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally Posted by hooper101

14 chapters in and and it is a fun read some of the things that occur are true laugh out loud stuff

I concur, Entreri and Jarlaxle's relationship drives the novel and creates some very funny moments. In addition, Athrogate's rhyming (and Entreri's reaction to it) caused me to laugh out loud at least half a dozen times.

quote:
Originally Posted by CrennenFaerieBane

I have heard that Artemis gets some kind of love interest, though I am not sure.

SPOLIER WARNING

Well, I would not call Calihye a "love" interest exactly...The relationship seems to be somewhere between lust and love--though probably nearer to the latter than the former.

Carthago delenda est.
Go to Top of Page

hooper101
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2005 :  18:41:32  Show Profile  Visit hooper101's Homepage Send hooper101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spoiler alert

I wouldnt even call her that, he hates her guts. ANd she hates him worse. Its Jarlaxle that gets the love bug.

Go to Top of Page

hooper101
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2005 :  18:52:39  Show Profile  Visit hooper101's Homepage Send hooper101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spoiler wrning

Arthrogate is hilarious!!!!!!!! but it does ring of princess bride, I like it though. I am never really turned off by things like that we all make reference like that at the table top dont we?

Go to Top of Page

The Blue Sorceress
Learned Scribe

107 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2005 :  05:37:40  Show Profile  Visit The Blue Sorceress's Homepage Send The Blue Sorceress a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hooper101

Spoiler alert

I wouldnt even call her that, he hates her guts. ANd she hates him worse. Its Jarlaxle that gets the love bug.

I'd finish the book before weighing on in on that matter.

-Blue

Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely.

I see your walrus and raise you a carpenter
Go to Top of Page

hooper101
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2005 :  17:56:57  Show Profile  Visit hooper101's Homepage Send hooper101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spoiler alert

Okay I was wrong!

Go to Top of Page

Adam_Garou
Acolyte

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2005 :  18:50:04  Show Profile  Visit Adam_Garou's Homepage Send Adam_Garou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Having read the Hunter's Blades Trilogy (and having purchased all three of them in hardcover), I'm going to have to wait until PotWK comes out in paperback. As a general rule, I love RAS's writing--and predictably enough, it's the individual combat scenes that I really enjoy.

Maybe it's just that Drizzt's character is starting to wear on me a little. Maybe it's that I sometimes get the feeling that Drizzt's story really HAS already been told, and RAS is just churning out more Drizzt stuff because the dark elf's a cash-drow (lame pun on "cash cow" ).

Anyway, while I've always liked Jarlaxle and Entreri, and while I've greatly enjoyed the RAS stories featuring them in the "Realms of Shadow" and "Realms of the Dragons" anthologies, I'm going to have to wait until paperback to purchase Promise of the Witch King.

That being said, if anyone who has read the book wants to post a non-spoiling review, I suppose I might be tempted...

"If we do happen to make contact (with the enemy), I expect nothing less than gratuitous violence from the lot of you."

--Sgt. Harry Wells, DOG SOLDIERS--
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2005 :  20:33:57  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reading a book about Jarlaxle and Entreri is very refreshing after the now-rather-stale Drizzt. Their cameraderie is as entertaining as ever--Jarlaxle is, as expected, a complex and interesting character, and I am enjoying the way Entreri is growing now that he no longer is stuck playing the part of Drizzt's "Dark Mirror" foil. What's more--both characters have a sense of humor.

I have about 100 pages left to read, and I'm not as enthralled with the plot so far: there have been a few "filler" battles, and since the group got to the castle, the story has felt more and more like a dungeon crawl in the form of a novel. I don't much like Athrogate (how do you pronounce that name, anyway???), but hopefully Entreri will gut him later on.

Nevertheless, the book is worth a read because of it's two starring characters.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2005 :  20:35:58  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Blue Sorceress

quote:
Originally posted by hooper101

Spoiler alert

I'd finish the book before weighing on in on that matter.

-Blue

*nods* I see Jarlaxle as more the type who just listens closely to his hormones rather than one who is easily "lovestruck".

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000