Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Who's the better GM??
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2005 :  14:43:21  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
Just came to mind whilst talking to Tifus, that I had a question to pose to my fellow scribes...

My wife and I run games for each other all the time - FR, Modern, our own worlds, etc. And our games are super fine-tuned for one another. However, it made me think of something? What gender is the better game master in what situation - what do you all think?

I know it's kind of hard to describe all situations, just wondering your opinion on the general matter.

C-Fb

P.s. - this is not asking who is better, it is asking based on your experiences with the such.

Choices:

Men for all games
Women for all games
Men for one-on-one''''s with gf/wife/ best female friend
Women for one-on-one''''s with bf/husband/ best male friend
Men for groups
Women for groups
Other (explained below)

(Anonymous Vote)

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.

Edited by - Crennen FaerieBane on 09 Sep 2005 22:08:28

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2005 :  16:35:45  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think that male or female has much to do with it. Personally it depends on the skills the the GM. The ability to multitask and know the personalities of your players. I think perhaps a woman may have a step up in these categories. Though the ability to control a group of gamers...kind of like herding cats.

I have never had the opportunity to play under a female GM, and have never seen one in action, so I can honestly say the best and worst GM's I have ever played under have been men.

Run faster! The Kobolds are catching up!
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2005 :  16:38:01  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never had the pleasure of playing under a femle GM either . . . ahem . . .
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2005 :  17:32:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Fletcher. I don't see that gender has any bearing on the issue...

And, as that one professor found out: be very careful making gender-based generalizations...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2005 :  17:57:35  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It depends on the GM, not gender at all. Skill is the only thing that should be considered. Some GMs bring bisas into the game. One I almost played under indicated he boyfriend would get special attention and I bowed out of that game (there was also another reason, which is about 12players were interested in the game, because other GMs did not show up that eve at the gaming club/site).

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2005 :  20:09:00  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

It depends on the GM, not gender at all. Skill is the only thing that should be considered. Some GMs bring bisas into the game. One I almost played under indicated he boyfriend would get special attention and I bowed out of that game (there was also another reason, which is about 12players were interested in the game, because other GMs did not show up that eve at the gaming club/site).

I echo you in this matter. But, anyways, I really want what kind of campaign could be take of the mind of my wife...

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2005 :  20:10:14  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have never had the opportunity to play under a female GM but i have experienced a couple of female players and i dont think gender affects ones skill as a GM... My vote goes to men and women as equals in the skill of playing as well as GM´ing.

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2005 :  22:07:39  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wasn't asking based on skills, or generalizations. I guess I should have been more clear - which of these situations would be most favorable to you (as your experience dictates). Any person of any gender can do things well or be really bad. I know that. Wasn't trying to offend, just asking about experiences.

If I offended anyone, I offer my apologies.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Tifus Artwin
Acolyte

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2005 :  06:14:24  Show Profile  Visit Tifus Artwin's Homepage Send Tifus Artwin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
C-FB, man you really should not pull my name into things like this, It gets me in trouble with the misses, as you will soon see why.

As for the poll, my experiences leave me to beleive that women are better at one-on-one as they tend to focus more on the smaller details that the male DM's that Ive played with tend to forget. In a group it could and does tend to go either way.

One-on-One my G/F tends to do alot better then any DM Ive played with, while in a group she tends to become overwhelmed. If this is becuase she becomes overwhelmed or lack of experiance I dont know so dont hold that aginst me.

Ive found that Women tend to be better Role-Players all around as most are not as interested in the Hack'n'Slashing aspect of the game, where most Men that Ive played with are more intersted in how many ways, and how cool thier methods of slaughtering the masses are, even if they are Role-players.

note: thats not in anyway or form Fact, nor presented as Fact, merely my observations of those I have played amongst.

~Tifus
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2005 :  08:42:12  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Never played with a female DM

I will however say that Wives and Girlfiriends are the sworn enemy of GMs!

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2005 :  15:57:59  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HAHAHAH! Some good experiences then, Dargoth?

Tifus - wasn't trying to get you in trouble! I agree with your assessment about the details - one on one, females I have to think are awesome. In the group of guys I run - they are true rules junkies. They actually strip goblin armor and used crossbow bolts and take them back to the town to sell to a metalsmith. It's kind of crazy. They are much more concerned with hack'n'slash. Example: They found an old temple to Shar that had been razed - and taken over by Drow with Kiaransalee. After they clear said temple, they went back to town, sold their stuff and went back to Waterdeep. No one bothered to tell any of the townsfolk (or the region, for that matter) that some Drow might be a bit perturbed and were going to seek revenge... oh well.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2005 :  17:25:22  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Two of the best gamers I ever met fell into the wives/girlfriends category.

SB who thinks male and female GMs alike can take delight in a critical hit on a PC.
Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2005 :  17:39:08  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tifus Artwin

<snip>One-on-One my G/F tends to do alot better then any DM Ive played with, while in a group she tends to become overwhelmed. If this is becuase she becomes overwhelmed or lack of experiance I dont know so dont hold that aginst me.<snip>
~Tifus

Hrmph....

Well, when the second campaign I ever ran has 6 people in it, and 4 of the 6 have more experience playing and DM'ing than I do, yes I get overwhelmed. Mostly cause all of you go in directions that are so far off the map, I'm not sure how to handle that.....Guess that means both of you obsrvations are correct.

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2005 :  18:54:10  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have seen that the best GM for a game between anyone and me is actually...me.

Now seriously, Dependng of the type of game you wanna play you can find many and different good GMs. I rmemebr a game Mastered by one of my friends who is about my age, he made a Diablo like game, dungeon, and go on killing everything moving. Quite funny. And a girl friend of me, (not my girlfriend), hosted another one taking place in a town and a forest, with elves, rangers and so on, no great fighting, but a lot of roling, encounters in the forest, haunted barrows with restless spirits.. an inspiring game.

I don't try to say females like more the role part than the fighting one, but is a rule that generally dedicate more time to create the role side of the game. ( and i don't want any problem, PLEASE )

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est

Edited by - Thelonius on 10 Sep 2005 18:56:00
Go to Top of Page

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2005 :  18:19:52  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

you made me snort tea through my nose!

I hadn't thought of what I said in that light.

I would like to agree with many of our posters that many of the women I have role played with were much better at keeping track of the minutae and were much more interested in role play in general.

But that trend was shattered by my last group. Three women, one was into role play, one was as greedy a player as ever I have had the misfortune of playing with, and the other was as inept at the game as anyone I have ever seen.

She truly enjoys the game, but she plays like a twisted GM's secret agent. Irritating allies, creating enemies, doing the exact wrong thing at the worst possible time. Nothing like being the reason for 3 total party death events. I say death and not kill because when she cast dispel on the magic carpet we were on as 'practice' we all died. GM didn't have to do anything to kill us.

Ah well, they can't all be great, law of averages eventually catches up with you.

Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2005 :  21:22:25  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

SB who thinks male and female GMs alike can take delight in a critical hit on a PC.

Most likely those two gamers were gamers before they became wives/girlfriends. =) It really depends on the girl, and why she is willing to play.

Mostly they've been a problem in the games I've played. We continually joke about armored piglets in my group.

However... I got my wife (girlfriend at the time) to play in a game, and she wasn't a problem... but then she's a nice person and just wanted to get her hooks into me. Now I can't get her to play if the world depended on it. =)

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2005 :  14:03:37  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher

quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

you made me snort tea through my nose!

I hadn't thought of what I said in that light.

I would like to agree with many of our posters that many of the women I have role played with were much better at keeping track of the minutae and were much more interested in role play in general.

But that trend was shattered by my last group. Three women, one was into role play, one was as greedy a player as ever I have had the misfortune of playing with, and the other was as inept at the game as anyone I have ever seen.

She truly enjoys the game, but she plays like a twisted GM's secret agent. Irritating allies, creating enemies, doing the exact wrong thing at the worst possible time. Nothing like being the reason for 3 total party death events. I say death and not kill because when she cast dispel on the magic carpet we were on as 'practice' we all died. GM didn't have to do anything to kill us.

Ah well, they can't all be great, law of averages eventually catches up with you.

She cast Dispel on the magic carpet you were all on? In midair? LOL.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2005 :  20:00:53  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

Yup, her comment was, "I didn't think it would actually work! Nothing I do ever works."

The rest of us declared she could only be a rogue or a fighter from then on. She was too dangerous with spells.

Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2005 :  21:52:25  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher

quote:
Originally posted by khorne

Yup, her comment was, "I didn't think it would actually work! Nothing I do ever works."

The rest of us declared she could only be a rogue or a fighter from then on. She was too dangerous with spells.

You should force her to use a kender or a halfling too...

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Go to Top of Page

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2005 :  23:59:28  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thelonius
You should force her to use a kender or a halfling too...

Egads, that would have been horrible. It was funny making play elven fighters. She has forever tainted my view of elves and their incompetance, and schitzophrenic ways.

"I see that our left flank is open to the charge of the minitaur, so my elven fighter pulls his sword and rushes to...wait...did you say there was a moth? I charge the moth. Stupid polymorphing wizards won't get away from me this time!"
..in the background the groans of despair from the other PC's as our GM lovingly described the agonizing sounds coming from my cleric as he was trampled by the charging Minitaur.
Needless to say the moth met its end after the elf spent several rounds of slashing iniffectually at it.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2005 :  00:22:11  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wenin

quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

Most likely those two gamers were gamers before they became wives/girlfriends. =) It really depends on the girl, and why she is willing to play.

Mostly they've been a problem in the games I've played. We continually joke about armored piglets in my group.

However... I got my wife (girlfriend at the time) to play in a game, and she wasn't a problem... but then she's a nice person and just wanted to get her hooks into me. Now I can't get her to play if the world depended on it. =)

The *ahem* Lady in question was only playing because she was the girlfriend of one of my Players, and once we let her into the Game she went out of her way to make herself a Royal pain in the ass

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 28 Sep 2005 02:51:39
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2005 :  02:47:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The *ahem* Lady in question was only playing because she was the boyfriend of one of my Players, and once we let her into the Game she went out of her way to make herself a Royal pain in the ass

She was the boyfriend? What an odd relationship...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2005 :  02:54:22  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

The *ahem* Lady in question was only playing because she was the boyfriend of one of my Players, and once we let her into the Game she went out of her way to make herself a Royal pain in the ass

She was the boyfriend? What an odd relationship...

typo... then again it may be an accurate description given the stuff the player let his girlfriend get away, she definately seemed to be the one wearing the pants in the relationship!

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2005 :  03:22:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really prefer a mixed bag -- both men and women at the gaming table. Each gender and personality brings a different interpretation about events, classes, alignments and the like that all helps the DM to create a background for the campaign, especially between the PCs themselves.

That being said, female gamers can make lethal opponents. The Sage, being Rastromo Meradoc, found that out the hard way when first faced with the Mistress of the Kargatane in a RAVENLOFT campaign -- one Lady Kazandra . In retrospect, I would have rather my PC face off against Strahd .

I did learn a very important lesson though as I came away from the table... Never underestimate the abilities one certain female gamer will employ "to win a game" .

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2005 :  03:42:20  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I did learn a very important lesson though as I came away from the table... Never underestimate the abilities one certain female gamer will employ "to win a game" .

Im not going to touch that one with the proverbial 10 Foot Adventurers pole!

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2005 :  03:46:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
... Well, it's true.

See there was this one time when the Sage was about cast a spell which would have brought the entire chamber down upon the Lady Kazandra (thus ending that part of the adventure and leaving me victorious), when the player of the Kazandra PC herself suddenly... ...

Actually, on second thought... I'd better leave it there .

Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2005 :  14:09:46  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Mine did exactly the same dirty move. And they say we are the dirt ones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2005 :  14:33:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Mine did exactly the same dirty move. And they say we are the dirt ones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hehe... It was a shock for me, because I never knew the Lady K was that flexible .

To add some additional focus to this poll though, perhaps we should include the average age of players in the group?

Edited by - The Sage on 28 Sep 2005 14:34:47
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2005 :  15:27:35  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We've never been lucky enough to have a female player, much less a female DM, so I can't make a judgement. One of the guys' wife played with us one time, and she was good, it just didn't work out that she could play regularly. I think it would definitely add to our game to have a female in the group, we just don't know any female gamers.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2005 :  17:31:20  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it is truly a different perspective to have a female with the group. They seriously think of things that most guys will just forget about in the heat of the moment. The party I was running for went and was trying to clean up the streets of a city, and they did a great job beating up all of the thugs.. they just forgot to take care of the victims.. well, all of them, except the female.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2005 :  20:12:27  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

Hehe... It was a shock for me, because I never knew the Lady K was that flexible .

To add some additional focus to this poll though, perhaps we should include the average age of players in the group?

I am going to add a new chapter to my signature, something like "You never know how flexible your partner can be..., till you play D&D with her..."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000