Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 FR Short Stories in Dragon magazine
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Neo2151
Learned Scribe

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2005 :  12:38:51  Show Profile Send Neo2151 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Mae Govennan!

I didn't quite know where to post this and, indeed, don't know if it's already been covered in a past post, so here it sits.

I'm looking to expand on my reading but lately, I've been getting a little tired of reading novel after novel and want to catch up on all the lore I've missed out on in the short stories that have appeared in issues of Dragon Magazine. If someone would do me the honor, I'm looking for all the back-issues of Dragon that contain any Forgotten Realms shorts. Also, considering www.paizo.com won't have every back-issue, could someone recommend a place to find the harder-to-find issues?

Many thanks to all the scribes,
Sweet water and light laughter 'til next...
Tal (Neo2151)

"Come looking for me, and I will blast you to dust, and then lay waste to all your descendants, ancestors, and the realm you came from, every last tree and stone of it. Why? Well, it's what I usually do."

-Baerendra Riverhand on The Story of Spellfire

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2005 :  15:26:00  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I can't help you with where to find back-issues (used book stores or comic book stores perhaps?) Forgotten Realms shorts are in:
#152 The First Notch by R. A. Salvatore
#238 Nothing But Trouble by Ed Greenwood
#242 In the Bleak Deepwinter by Lynn Abbey (one of my favourites)
#245 Honest and True by Troy Denning
#246 The Great Hunt by Elaine Cunningham
#247 Reunification by Jeff Grubb (featuring the characters from the Forgotten Realms comic-magazine).
#255 Dark Legacy by Mel Odom (might be nice to read before the Threat From the Sea
#259 Stolen Dreams by Elaine Cunningham (takes place simultaneously with Speking with the Dead in Realms of Mystery
#260 The Honor of Two Swords by Kate Novak-Grubb ("Brag later, fight now!")
#266 The Innkeeper's Secret by Troy Denning (set between Cormyr: a Novel and Beyond the High Road
#273 Shamur's Wager by Richard Lee Byers
#277 Another Name For Dawn by Paul S Kemp
#282 Possessions by Elaine Cunningham
#283 Garden of Souls by Richard Lee Byers
#297 And All the Sinners, Saints by Paul S Kemp
#299 Memories by Lisa Smedman (I admit, while I read the novel/short story [no longer], I have a cruch on Larajin)
#301 Cause & Effect by Paul S Kemp
#304 Haunted, A Tale of Sembia by Dave Gross
#320 New In Town by Richard Lee Byers
#327 The Silverfish by Richard Lee Byers
#335 Game of Chance by Elaine Cunningham
#343 Rivals by Richard Lee Byers

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 08 Mar 2006 05:36:09
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2005 :  17:17:20  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Excellent! Thank ye, Kajehase. I've been after a collated list such as this for a while now. I'll make a place for this in the library

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2005 :  17:40:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met

Excellent! Thank ye, Kajehase. I've been after a collated list such as this for a while now. I'll make a place for this in the library

You should have said something, Big Al. I'd've directed you to The DragonDex, an up-to-date index of all of the articles in Dragon. And there is a separate FR section.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2005 :  13:28:31  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well met

Thou honur me Alaundo, does this mean I get a "Get away from the +5 staff of the irritated moderator for free" card?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2005 :  18:40:56  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:

Well met

Thou honur me Alaundo, does this mean I get a "Get away from the +5 staff of the irritated moderator for free" card?

Pah! Some scribes expect Selune on a stick for such little work!

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Neo2151
Learned Scribe

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2005 :  14:23:57  Show Profile Send Neo2151 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must say, you have my thanks Kajehase. I thought, however, that Ed introduced Faerun in Dragon. Wouldn't that place stories from Ed before #152 The First Notch by R. A. Salvatore? If I'm mistaken, please correct me, but I'm currently under this impression.

"Come looking for me, and I will blast you to dust, and then lay waste to all your descendants, ancestors, and the realm you came from, every last tree and stone of it. Why? Well, it's what I usually do."

-Baerendra Riverhand on The Story of Spellfire
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2005 :  17:27:07  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would, except that Nothing But Trouble is the only short story by Ed that's been published in DRAGON magazine (it's also available in Best of the Realms II).

Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 11 Sep 2005 17:29:23
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  04:35:55  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In next month's Dragon Magazine (Issue #343) there will be an FR short story by Richard Lee Byers called "Rivals"
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  05:34:54  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thankies, the list has been updated.

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2006 :  02:48:57  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The new issue of Dragon, which contains my FR story "Rivals," has hit the stores.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2006 :  05:23:25  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah... time to pester a friend/parent/brother for a ride to Gothenburg in a week or two methinks. (Adding the train-fare to the price would make the magazine rather pricy, and while I could go there by bike, I don't think I want to do a 140-kilometre ride on a bike without gears)

Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 27 Apr 2006 05:24:22
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2006 :  11:09:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Ah... time to pester a friend/parent/brother for a ride to Gothenburg in a week or two methinks. (Adding the train-fare to the price would make the magazine rather pricy, and while I could go there by bike, I don't think I want to do a 140-kilometre ride on a bike without gears)

I'd not be eager to make that trip on a bike with gears!

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2006 :  16:15:10  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the first 70k would be mostly downhill

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Rauric
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2006 :  23:57:38  Show Profile  Visit Rauric's Homepage Send Rauric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What was Unification or Reunification about? Spoilers needed. I liked those comics alot.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2006 :  00:44:23  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A trip into Dwalimar's psyche basically. Having a friend that's in good favour with a god can really help sometimes y'know

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Rauric
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2006 :  14:37:20  Show Profile  Visit Rauric's Homepage Send Rauric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So they fixed Dwalimar? That's a good thing. He was pretty out of it at the end right. THat book ended on a really down note. Rags Morales was a great artist for it. That comic got me to like paladins a little as well. Having a dwarf possessed golemn in it as a main character was pretty interesting.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2006 :  15:47:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rauric

So they fixed Dwalimar? That's a good thing. He was pretty out of it at the end right. THat book ended on a really down note. Rags Morales was a great artist for it. That comic got me to like paladins a little as well. Having a dwarf possessed golemn in it as a main character was pretty interesting.

At least they got to end that one... Some of the other DC/TSR titles cut off mid-story, because of the way the contract betwixt them ended.

I really enjoyed the comics, myself. That's why I'm so happy whenever I see a reference to them in a sourcebook or novel.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2006 :  21:43:23  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where can I get these comics?

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2006 :  22:14:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

eBay, places that sell old comics... They came out around the late 80's, early 90's. There were four titles: Forgotten Realms (wandered all over the Realms), Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (mostly in and around Waterdeep), Dragonlance (all over Krynn, and backwards and forwards in time), and Spelljammer. They were published by DC and TSR. Big Al's got the information for some of them, and I know he plans on updating the site with the info for the rest of them.

I'd say more, but I have to roll out the door to Orlando.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2006 :  22:15:57  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

eBay, places that sell old comics... They came out around the late 80's, early 90's. There were four titles: Forgotten Realms (wandered all over the Realms), Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (mostly in and around Waterdeep), Dragonlance (all over Krynn, and backwards and forwards in time), and Spelljammer. They were published by DC and TSR. Big Al's got the information for some of them, and I know he plans on updating the site with the info for the rest of them.

Have fun. :)

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2006 :  01:34:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Nobleknight.com also offers some of the AD&D and FR comics for sale.

And just yesterday, I picked up the three issues I was missing from the DL series at my local comic shop.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2006 :  03:54:43  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I'll check there then.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2006 :  03:33:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

Nobleknight.com also offers some of the AD&D and FR comics for sale.

And just yesterday, I picked up the three issues I was missing from the DL series at my local comic shop.

I came aboard partway into AD&D. I'd been following Dragonlance almost from the beginning... I picked up FR when it started; ditto for Spelljammer. I tracked down all the back issues I needed... and then dumped them all at my local comic shop when I bailed on comics (the first of three times). Later, when the place was going under, I went and bought them all back.

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2007 :  20:15:12  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks, I'll check there then.

I got my FR comics on Ebay, in fact I just got the Avatar trilogy comic adaptation on ebay yesterday.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Edited by - Xysma on 28 Aug 2007 20:16:21
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2007 :  11:06:28  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just bought them too.... from e-bay....

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2007 :  14:21:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just got my replacement issues of AD&D the other day... Someone had the entire run, plus the Annual, in very good condition, with a Buy It Now price of $50. I jumped all over that! And the comics turned out to be in better condition than the ones I lost.

I won another auction the other day, this time for the FR comics, with one issue missing -- again, Buy It Now, but this time, only $25. The one missing issue I immediately located and bought from another seller. So, when those comics arrive, I'll have all the DC/TSR titles set in the Realms again.

I haven't yet decided about replacing the Dragginglance and Spelljammer comics. The SJ ones were okay, but were just starting to get good when the series abruptly ended. And I enjoyed the DL ones, but I was very frustrated with the fact that they couldn't decide whether to focus on Myrella or Riva, or what timeframe to stick with.

A dark bit of irony is the fact that I specifically separated the DC/TSR titles from all my other comics. I was not sure what to do with the other comics, but I knew I wanted to keep the DC/TSR ones. I had finally gotten them all bagged and boarded, and had put them in their own box... All my other comics went into a storage unit that my stepmom has, while the DC/TSR ones went into my storage unit with all my books and toys. So those were the ones that were destroyed, while the 6 long boxes of comics that I don't care about are still safe and sound.

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2007 :  04:00:48  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm glad you were able to replace those Wooly, and at a decent price to boot!

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2007 :  04:49:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

I'm glad you were able to replace those Wooly, and at a decent price to boot!

So am I!

Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2009 :  17:05:09  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey... Could someone update this list?

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2009 :  18:31:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by edappel

Hey... Could someone update this list?

There's nothing to update, I don't think... The list is complete, according to The DragonDex. That's all the FR fiction in the printed version of Dragon. I'm not recalling seeing any in the online version, but of course I've not paid any attention to it since the DDI went to pay-only.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000