Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Mellifleur
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rocheval
Acolyte

21 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  16:03:06  Show Profile  Visit Rocheval's Homepage Send Rocheval a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I don't know if this is appropriate to post here but does Mellifleur from Monster Mythology have any place in the Realms? If so, anybody here want to speculate on who his avatar might be? Perhaps Larloch or Ioulum? I just have old source material from about ten years ago.

"I will vanish into the night; change my body to wood or stone; sink into the earth and walk through locked doors. I will be killed many times, yet will not die" excerpt from Ninja No Chigri (Way of the Tiger series)

Misericordia
Seeker

Italy
66 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  16:48:17  Show Profile  Visit Misericordia's Homepage Send Misericordia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Mellifleur role in the Realms is taken by Velsharoon, god of Necromancy, necromancers, evil liches, undeath.

Omnia sunt communia.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  17:31:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rocheval

I don't know if this is appropriate to post here but does Mellifleur from Monster Mythology have any place in the Realms? If so, anybody here want to speculate on who his avatar might be? Perhaps Larloch or Ioulum? I just have old source material from about ten years ago.

Off the top of my head, I don't think that any of the big names in the Realms are avatars. Some, like Fzoul Chembryl, served as avatars for a time, during the Avatar Crisis, but that's it. Since then, most deities that form avatars create one from scratch.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rocheval
Acolyte

21 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  17:47:00  Show Profile  Visit Rocheval's Homepage Send Rocheval a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your response Misericordia. Your probably right, as Velsharoon seems to have all the credentials to replace Mellifleur. I've been reading through some of the old posts and it looks like Velsharoon relatively recently attained godhood through Talos in 1368DR. I was just speculating about Mellifeur being a multi-verse power on different worlds from this passage from Monster Mythology:
"Illithid sages have an extraordinary variant of this tale, claiming that the event involved a collective impulse among the gods themselves, so that several evil gods in different worlds were all carrying out the same operation at the same time, and their combined magical effects, summed and transformed, raised Mellifleur not to just to deity status but to the status of a lessor god. This would certainly explain why in the Greyhawk campaign, Nerull is said to be the deity who created Mellifleur; in Toril, they say Bane, and in other worlds, other dark names are invoked. One thing is for certain: to survive, Mellifleur has to have his avatars oppose the actions of the dark deity who created him, lest his own being be diminished and the evil god recapture and absorb Mellifleur's power. The Lich-lord must oppose certain evils to survive. On occasion, it is said, some deities of neutral good in particular actually aiding him, to avoid the greater evil of the greater god triumphing"
Maybe there were other avatars before or maybe one reason the forces of good left have left Larloch alone (if he was avatar). Of course this is all fluff and speculation on my part, but its fun

"I will vanish into the night; change my body to wood or stone; sink into the earth and walk through locked doors. I will be killed many times, yet will not die" excerpt from Ninja No Chigri (Way of the Tiger series)
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  21:12:49  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the 2nd Edition Faiths & Pantheons, Velsharoon has Mellifleur listed under his known aliases.

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  23:45:05  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Melfius

In the 2nd Edition Faiths & Pantheons, Velsharoon has Mellifleur listed under his known aliases.

It was Powers & Pantheons, and in 2E for all intents and purposes Mellifeur and Velsharoon were one and the same.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2005 :  01:06:33  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, okay! Powers & Pantheons, Faiths & Avatars, whichever!

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2005 :  01:27:55  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Melfius

Okay, okay! Powers & Pantheons, Faiths & Avatars, whichever!

Bad Chef, giving false information

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2005 :  01:44:21  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Guess I gotta peel the onions tonite!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000