Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 elven cognitive, emotional, & ego development
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lemernis
Senior Scribe

378 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  00:22:04  Show Profile  Visit Lemernis's Homepage Send Lemernis a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
My question regards cognitive, emotional, and ego development for races that have greater longevity than humans, such as elves. According to PHB elves reach the age of majority at around 110 years. Some folks extrapolate that because the elven life span is much longer (in some cases exceeding 700 years) that personal development will proceed at a slower pace compared with humans. For example, I have seen some argue that an elf of forty years would be developmentally equivalent to a twelve year old human child, i.e., the 40 y/o elf's powers of reasoning, emotional, maturity, and fund of life experience would be such.

This seems based on faulty logic. For an elf to have not yet arrived at the elven 'age of majority', which is when that society considers an individual capable of assuming the responsibilities of adult life, doesn't necessarily equate with an elf in a mature body of 40 years behaving with the maturity of a human twelve year old. The age at which the culture considers the member of society to have arrived at adulthood isn't necessarily equivalent to when the individual is capable of functioning on par with a human adult.

In other words, although the races with greater longevity are quite 'young' at 20 years, they may still be on par with a human at 20 in terms of cognitive, emtional, and ego development. I would think the difference is that as they advance in age, they will become far more mature than any human simply because they live much longer. Because these races live considerably longer, they will develop a capacity for deeper reflection as they advance in age. And they do have a larger fund of experience to draw from as they age beyond the life span of a human. But that doesn't make them comparatively delayed as they grow up, when compared alongside humans. See what I'm saying?

Edited by - Lemernis on 10 Aug 2005 13:25:34

Arlenion
Acolyte

36 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  01:16:01  Show Profile  Visit Arlenion's Homepage Send Arlenion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe that longer lived races are likely to have a harder time developing the wisdom to use their knowledge effectively in the same amount of time but they would still have as much knowledge as a human or halfling of their age. An elf that is 110 years old has had a lot of time to learn about the world around them so they would know more, but they are only slightly less impulsive than a twenty year old human, as evidenced by their willingness to go risk their life in pursuit of "adventure". However elves seem to develop more wisdom as time goes on than humans in the novels.

Such races would not have the maturity of a human of their own age but the difference is not quite proportional to the age of majority. For example their is a 90 year old elf in Evereska who acted like a completely mature adult. You also have to remember that strife and war causes people to mature faster and the human societies has more strife than elven or dwarven culture and that humans have more responsibilities earlier in life as reflected in the earlier age of majority.

Edited by - Arlenion on 10 Aug 2005 01:21:15
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  02:32:33  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, a lot of these issues are addressed in the Races of the Wild sourcebook from 3E. They mention that Elves actually grow to have the same wisdom/learning as humans not long after the same age, but they choose to remain amongst their villages and communities to learn how to become self-sufficient before they go off and adventure (around 100 years of age).

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  02:35:14  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

Actually, a lot of these issues are addressed in the Races of the Wild sourcebook from 3E. They mention that Elves actually grow to have the same wisdom/learning as humans not long after the same age, but they choose to remain amongst their villages and communities to learn how to become self-sufficient before they go off and adventure (around 100 years of age).

C-Fb

Myself, I wouldn't base FR elves on those elves. Ed has said, in more then one reply, that there are things in the core and generic material that do not pertain to FR elves. :) The no body hair of the core material, for instance.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  06:14:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

C-Fb

Myself, I wouldn't base FR elves on those elves. Ed has said, in more then one reply, that there are things in the core and generic material that do not pertain to FR elves. :) The no body hair of the core material, for instance.

And neither would I. Ed's quotes are more than enough for me to appreciate (and be content) wih the differences between the FR elven races and those of generic D&D.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  07:12:58  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Ed's quotes" ... where to find? Old posts? 2004? 2005?

Link to my homepage: http://user.tninet.se/~bsu242v/
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  10:30:49  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are there any elves that have facial hair?

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  11:31:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

I seem to recall, in Farthest Reach, mention of an elf or two with facial hair.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lemernis
Senior Scribe

378 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  13:16:41  Show Profile  Visit Lemernis's Homepage Send Lemernis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

C-Fb

Can you please tell me which page that is on, and if it isn't too much trouble include just a small blurb?

quote:

Can you recall any of the further distinctions Ed Greenwood makes re: elves of the Forgotten Realms? Anything you can think of that would be relevant to this question?
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  13:24:04  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I seem to recall, in Farthest Reach, mention of an elf or two with facial hair.

Arun Maerdrym wore a full beard and there are those old enough to know them both that comment Khelben looks amazingly like his father, aside from the white wedge in his beard and the lack of pointed ears. Granted, Arun was a half-elf, but still....

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

silvermage
Seeker

77 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  13:25:49  Show Profile  Visit silvermage's Homepage Send silvermage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It can be quite true that elves tend to be wiser with the passing of time, but some become wiser and better learned as well as using their wisdom to help others. Some become wiser and yet more evil. Just like the blunt use or abuse of High Magics by some elves, I am quite certain that elves can be said to truly master High Magics once past the 500th year of their lives.

Edited by - silvermage on 10 Aug 2005 13:26:26
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  14:40:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And in DL also... A particularly elderly elf can display whisps of a beard after many centuries of life.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Lemernis
Senior Scribe

378 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  15:54:16  Show Profile  Visit Lemernis's Homepage Send Lemernis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I see that on p. 90 of Cormanthyr, Empire of the Elves a section called "Teaching" which states that elves are regarded as children untl the age of 60, and that they are considered "impressionable" by their elders until the age of 50. Until around 50 the focus is almost entirely on education. At the age of 50 they may begin pursuing a profession.

But by the same token, they are are typically literate before the age of 10 and therefore are cognitively on par with humans.

Near as I can tell, the relatively 'sheltered' existence of an elf for the first 6 decades of life is an elven cultural slant, and not a matter of maturing at a slower rate biologically, or developing at a slower rate cognitively and emotionally. By the standards of their longevity, the elves of Semberholme do not consider their kind to be adults until around 60 (? or at least finished with their basic education about the world and elven history and ready to pursue a sort of apprenticeship their chosen profession), but that is because they enjoy a far longer time in which to educate their young. Elves have a different standard, culturally, by which to measure wisdom. "Impressionable" has a rather different meaning for someone who lives for 900 years compared with someone with a lifespan of 90 years. Here "impressionable" is not equivalent to a forty year old elf thinking and behaving like a twelve year old human.

Edited by - Lemernis on 10 Aug 2005 16:35:10
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  16:16:25  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well - Kuje, Sage - I wasn't necessarily talking about the descriptions of elves or whether they have facial hair - but all elves did develop from one central race (2E Complete Book of Elves) that still have the same practices.

Since no one sourcebook puts the definitive time down for elven cognitive development, I would use many different sources to create an elven feel that suits your game and not get locked into the confines of "canon." After all, the games exist for fun and should be adapted to the group you play in.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  16:56:17  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well - Kuje, Sage - I wasn't necessarily talking about the descriptions of elves or whether they have facial hair - but all elves did develop from one central race (2E Complete Book of Elves) that still have the same practices.

Since no one sourcebook puts the definitive time down for elven cognitive development, I would use many different sources to create an elven feel that suits your game and not get locked into the confines of "canon." After all, the games exist for fun and should be adapted to the group you play in.

C-Fb

Elves are older then the Complete Book of Elves. :) And I'd use FR material for FR, since elves in FR are different then core material. And with the changes to lore, I wouldn't say that that theory is the same. Yes they all came from Corellon but FR elves, as we have seen, are different then the elves of the other settings.

Of course fun is more important but he asked a canon question and so I gave a canon answer.

Now the one who can truly answer this is Ed and Steven. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Edited by - Kuje on 10 Aug 2005 17:04:07
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  16:59:32  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LemernisCan you recall any of the further distinctions Ed Greenwood makes re: elves of the Forgotten Realms? Anything you can think of that would be relevant to this question?

Some don't have to Reverie, some can sleep, some don't have to do either. Elves also get energy from Faerun/the Weave itself. He's thrown tidbits out over the past 2 years and yes they are in my file or the PDF's/HTML's of those files stored here at Candlekeep.

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  17:04:13  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

C-Fb

Elves are older then the Complete Book of Elves. :) And I'd use FR material for FR, since elves in FR are different then core material.

True enough - I just like to grab all the information that I have on a subject and sift through it to get a complete picture. If we all just used core stuff, we wouldn't have have the brilliant things in the realms. :) Point taken. :)

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Lemernis
Senior Scribe

378 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  17:09:46  Show Profile  Visit Lemernis's Homepage Send Lemernis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for referencing The Complete Book of Elves

I see now now in that 2e source book (The Complete Book of Elves) that elves do continue to behave childishly until approx. 65-75 years of age. And also, they typically do not exceed 4 ft in height by that age. Around the age of 75 they experience a growth spurt and grow to a height of 5 to 5 1/2 feet. So according to that core source a 20 year old elf would be delayed compared with a 20 year old human.

Is there any more specific source material for FR elves that is in line with Cormanthyr, Empire of the Elves? I.e., FR-specific material that might suggest that FR elves mature at a rate that is more comensurate with humans?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  17:27:27  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lemernis
Is there any more specific source material for FR elves that is in line with Cormanthyr, Empire of the Elves? I.e., FR-specific material that might suggest that FR elves mature at a rate that is more comensurate with humans?

I can't think of anything else that might be of interest about this topic. :)

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  17:28:20  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks for referencing The Complete Book of Elves

I see now now in that 2e source book (The Complete Book of Elves) that elves do continue to behave childishly until approx. 65-75 years of age. And also, they typically do not exceed 4 ft in height by that age. Around the age of 75 they experience a growth spurt and grow to a height of 5 to 5 1/2 feet. So according to that core source a 20 year old elf would be delayed compared with a 20 year old human.

Well, I can only reference Salvatore's Drizzt novels which put Drizzt around 30 when he deals with his warrior training school - and in the Hunter's Blade trilogy, he is only 87 years old, and he's been doing his thing for about 50 or so years, which means he matured somewhere around 30 - at least to his fighting prime.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  18:02:05  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While reading FR novels I have never been under the impression that elves grow up (relative) maturity that much slower than humans.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  19:03:19  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's what I picked up from the novels as well. I always thought they might have to train a little more and so aren't mature at like 18, but that around 30, they are the equivalent to an 18 year old human. What else can explain Drizzt being a 16th level character before he is even one century in age?

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Lemernis
Senior Scribe

378 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  20:22:40  Show Profile  Visit Lemernis's Homepage Send Lemernis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The incredibly hostile habitat of Underdark, and the drow society, both, would tend to push the young to become self-reliant as soon as possible, I would think. There's a Dragon Magazine issue that details how drow children are taught at a very young age to plot assassinations and all sorts of atrocities. According to some, the method behind Lolth's madness of pitting drow houses against one another is to make the drow as hardy as possible, and thereby produce a kind of super race. Anyway, whereas surface elves dote on their young, the elves of the Underdark seem to have more of a sink or swim approach to childrearing.
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  21:39:33  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could be, but also - Dark Elves must mature physically that early as well. No way that young Drizzt could be such a good swordsman unless he was both physically and mentally mature. Whether drow society pushed him forward or not - he must have been physically mature as well by his 30th birthday.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Lemernis
Senior Scribe

378 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2005 :  12:49:55  Show Profile  Visit Lemernis's Homepage Send Lemernis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder if this is worth bothering Ed Greenwood about in the 'ask Ed' thread... Ah what the heck, I'll throw it out.
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2005 :  00:16:39  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The incredibly hostile habitat of Underdark, and the drow society, both, would tend to push the young to become self-reliant as soon as possible, I would think. There's a Dragon Magazine issue that details how drow children are taught at a very young age to plot assassinations and all sorts of atrocities. According to some, the method behind Lolth's madness of pitting drow houses against one another is to make the drow as hardy as possible, and thereby produce a kind of super race. Anyway, whereas surface elves dote on their young, the elves of the Underdark seem to have more of a sink or swim approach to childrearing.

Indeed, the idea of selective breeding and survival of the fittest is mentioned in the FRCS with reference to their ability modifiers.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000