Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Experienced help for recommending FR Novels.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 19

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2007 :  01:10:06  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any chance you could send that "list of useful links" my way, you furry hamster?

I'd like to compare it with the Sage's.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2007 :  02:09:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What do you want to compare?

We both know mine is longer than Wooly's.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2007 :  06:56:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

What do you want to compare?

We both know mine is longer than Wooly's.

But mine is far more well-known!

Check your PMs, both of you.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gruen
Acolyte

12 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2007 :  13:29:10  Show Profile  Visit Gruen's Homepage Send Gruen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that I am about halfway through my current book, I am looking for my next read. One option I was pondering was the Watercourse Trilogy. Any advise / recommendations?

Also, I was intrigued by the Shadow Stone (as I have vague recalls of people recommending it... can't recall where I might have seen that, or if I'm suffering from delusions).

Finally, the Nobles book, Escape from Undermountain. Any advise in regard? Also, does one need to read this as a series, or are they stand-alone?

Thanks in advance for any advise you may be able to impart.

Gruen
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2007 :  16:21:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never finished reading the Nobles books... But I'm pretty certain that all of them are stand-alone novels.

I've not read Escape From Undermountain in many years. I did not care for it, though, because it seemed to me that it was not true to the known lore about Undermountain.

Of course, we all have differing opinions, so you may well enjoy it.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2007 :  17:08:55  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gruen

Now that I am about halfway through my current book, I am looking for my next read. One option I was pondering was the Watercourse Trilogy. Any advise / recommendations?

Also, I was intrigued by the Shadow Stone (as I have vague recalls of people recommending it... can't recall where I might have seen that, or if I'm suffering from delusions).

Finally, the Nobles book, Escape from Undermountain. Any advise in regard? Also, does one need to read this as a series, or are they stand-alone?

Thanks in advance for any advise you may be able to impart.

Gruen

The nobles series are all standalone unless my memory is playing tricks at me. Generally the books of this series are not among the best, in my opinion I should say, although I did enjoy War in Tethyr.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2007 :  23:47:29  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gruen

I've found these books to be problematic, but at the same time, good reads. You might enjoy them (especially if you agree with the philosophies of Ayn Rand).

quote:

I'm one person who recommended that book. For the most part, I found it an enjoyable coming of age tale.

quote:

Never read that one--and yes, those novels are all stand-alones.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

jespin
Acolyte

12 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2007 :  00:47:45  Show Profile  Visit jespin's Homepage Send jespin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always tell my friends to grab any of my anthologies, i realy like "Realms of Mystery" or "Realms of Shadows". Then i can get a better idea of what to lend them next and never get back.
Go to Top of Page

lelorien
Acolyte

Canada
41 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2007 :  02:07:43  Show Profile  Visit lelorien's Homepage Send lelorien a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings friends! I thank you for recommending the finders stone trilogy the books are really great. What should I read after this trilogy?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2007 :  05:53:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lelorien

Greetings friends! I thank you for recommending the finders stone trilogy the books are really great. What should I read after this trilogy?

Well, there's another book that follows that trilogy, Masquerade. And Novak and Grubb have two more Realms books which tie into the Finder's Stone trilogy, but aren't a part of it: Finder's Bane and Tymora's Luck. They're books 1 and 3 of the Lost Gods trilogy. The second book is a Dragginglance novel by another author, and while it intro's a character for book 3, it's not necessary to read it to enjoy the third book -- I usually skip it, when I'm rereading those books.

Go to Top of Page

J D Dunsany
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2007 :  16:44:00  Show Profile  Visit J D Dunsany's Homepage Send J D Dunsany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Well, there's another book that follows that trilogy, Masquerade. And Novak and Grubb have two more Realms books which tie into the Finder's Stone trilogy, but aren't a part of it: Finder's Bane and Tymora's Luck. They're books 1 and 3 of the Lost Gods trilogy. The second book is a Dragginglance novel by another author, and while it intro's a character for book 3, it's not necessary to read it to enjoy the third book -- I usually skip it, when I'm rereading those books.

All of which is good advice. You may, of course, feel like you need a change of pace (or author) and a foray into one of the anthologies and/or a standalone novel like one of the Fighters books or a Harper book - or one of the Lost Empires books, for that matter (why does no one talk about them anymore?) - might just be the ticket. I only say this 'coz I'm one of those weird people who tends not to read the books of a trilogy or longer series one after the other. I'll often dip into other series (particularly if they're standalone adventures) in the middle of a trilogy. Don't ask me why. I know it's strange.

Incidentally, Wooly Rupert, just out of interest: Which FR novel have you read/re-read the most and how many times?

I'm afraid I'm not really in the position to re-read FR fiction, although I'm sorely tempted by Spellfire and the early Elminster books.

All the best!

JDD

"How content that young woman looks, don't you think? How content, and yet how flammable." - Lemony Snicket, The Unauthorized Autobiography
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2007 :  17:17:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by J D Dunsany

Incidentally, Wooly Rupert, just out of interest: Which FR novel have you read/re-read the most and how many times?

Possibly either Elfshadow or Azure Bonds. They're both among my faves, and I've had them both for at least 15 years, which is plenty of time to reread them. I don't know how oft I've reread them, though... Prolly between 5 and 10 times.

quote:
Originally posted by J D Dunsany

I'm afraid I'm not really in the position to re-read FR fiction, although I'm sorely tempted by Spellfire and the early Elminster books.

I wish I had more reading time... I don't get to read as much as I want, and that sucks. Especially since I like to revisit particular books.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2007 :  00:37:30  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I don't exactly have loads of free time, myself, and there are too many books I haven't read yet...so I'm not much of a re-reader, myself.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 28 Mar 2007 00:37:46
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2007 :  01:14:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed's books are usually the first among my "Re-read FR books" listing. Elaine's as well -- especially "Songs & Swords."

And if I'm feeling particularly daring... Blackstaff.

Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2007 :  19:58:14  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ed's books are usually the first among my "Re-read FR books" listing. Elaine's as well -- especially "Songs & Swords."

Blackstaff just oozed 'Realms' to me. Definitely on my list of novels to re-read as well.

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2007 :  01:18:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mazrim_Taim

quote:

Blackstaff just oozed 'Realms' to me. Definitely on my list of novels to re-read as well.

It's because of Steven's well-placed Realmslore tidbits, that I often consider Blackstaff 'like' a Realms sourcebook.

Go to Top of Page

lelorien
Acolyte

Canada
41 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2007 :  04:01:06  Show Profile  Visit lelorien's Homepage Send lelorien a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know anything about the book The year of the dragons. (links please)
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2007 :  09:59:17  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Does anyone know anything about the book The year of the dragons. (links please)

Well met

I assume thou art refering to the trilogy of The Year of Rogue Dragons, by Richard Lee Byers.

The books within, are as follows:

Book 1 - The Rage
Book 2 - The Rite
Book 3 - The Ruin

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

lelorien
Acolyte

Canada
41 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2007 :  22:29:02  Show Profile  Visit lelorien's Homepage Send lelorien a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are the books in the harper series ment to be read in order?
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2007 :  23:14:37  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Are the books in the harper series ment to be read in order?

Well met

No, they are generally stand-alone novels which an be read in order. There are a number of exceptions, however:

Elfshadow, Elfsong, SilversShadows should be read in that order.
Also, Crypt of the Shadowking followed by Crypt of the Shadowmage.

Other novels are also linked outside of The Harpers Series: Crown of Fire should be read after Spellfire and before Hand of Fire, and Masquerades follows on from The Finder's Stone Trilogy.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

lelorien
Acolyte

Canada
41 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2007 :  17:28:55  Show Profile  Visit lelorien's Homepage Send lelorien a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey. Are the anthologies from the realms of shadows taken from any books?
Go to Top of Page

lelorien
Acolyte

Canada
41 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2007 :  17:16:45  Show Profile  Visit lelorien's Homepage Send lelorien a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello. I would like to know were the stories from Realms of Shadows come from.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2007 :  17:35:03  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They all came from the fruitful minds of their authors and were written especially for that anthology.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2007 :  17:58:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

They all came from the fruitful minds of their authors and were written especially for that anthology.

Indeed. With the exception of the recent "Best of" anthologies, all of the short stories in the "Realms of" anthologies were written for the specific book they are in.

Go to Top of Page

Pharaun Mizzrym
Acolyte

Canada
34 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2007 :  21:08:53  Show Profile  Visit Pharaun Mizzrym's Homepage Send Pharaun Mizzrym a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Priests series, Drizzt series, Best of the realms books
Go to Top of Page

Kheris
Seeker

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2007 :  17:15:41  Show Profile  Visit Kheris's Homepage Send Kheris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I'm hip-deep in Shadowbred, with Shadowstorm and Blackstaff calling to me from the Borders bag (I'm on a 3 novel a week habit! I'm sick! ) However, I was wondering what the most recent (timeline-wise) book on Cormyr is.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2007 :  10:04:47  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say "Elminster's Daughter" by Ed Greenwood. Though, I'm not exactly up to date with the latest FR novel releases . . . so I may have missed something.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Lady Kazandra on 22 Sep 2007 10:05:48
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2007 :  13:41:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've not read any of them as yet, though it appears that the present state of Cormyr is at least touched upon in Paul Kemp's "The Twilight War" trilogy.

Go to Top of Page

lelorien
Acolyte

Canada
41 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2007 :  01:34:48  Show Profile  Visit lelorien's Homepage Send lelorien a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings candlekeep! I am just about to finish the recommended novels for starting in the realms and I would like to know where to go next. Here is the list of the books I read in order:

Legend of Drizzt
Cleric Quintet
War of the Spider Queen
Elminster (1-5)
Promise of the witch king
Evermeet: Island of Elves
Cormyr (1-3)
Finders Stone Trilogy
The Avatar trilogy
Prince of lies
The Shadow of the Avatar trilogy
Crucible: Trial of Ciric the Mad
Return of the archwizards trilogy (I'm on the second and the rest of the list is the books I plan to read)
Realms of shadows
The year of Rogue Dragons

After that I'm out of ideas. I maybve thought of the harper series but I was asking myself if there was any series I had to read before.
Thanks in advance!
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2007 :  02:28:24  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see that you read the Promise of the Witch King. Did you read Servant of the Shard or Road of the Patriarch (Book III of the Sellwords) - Loved it!
You could also read the Icewind Dale Trilogy (that's where I started)

Spellfire was amazing and is followed up by Crown of Fire in the Harpers.

You could jump into the Harpers anywhere since the majority are stand alones.

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000