Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Wealth in the realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Senbar Flay
Learned Scribe

185 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2005 :  01:59:20  Show Profile  Visit Senbar Flay's Homepage Send Senbar Flay a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Okay I was wondering what would be considerd rich in the relams. It says in the FRCS that a silver piece is worth a day(or week I can't remember)work. In other words how much would a poor' middle class and high class person have? I could guess 30 000 gp will definitely give you some respect.

Imagination is more important than knowledge for knowledge is limited imagination encircles the world.- Albert Einstein

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2005 :  02:30:06  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Day labor (unskilled) 1 sp a day, somehow live but with commodity prices live very poorly, odds are sometimes needs carity to stay alive.

Trained labor (at least one rank in Craft or Profession) min 5 gp per tenday (Take 10 + rank +/- modofiers total divided by 2 ) working poor, can aford a home (most likely rented) and a few items (once or twice a year) of luxury (like new shoes).

Skilled labor (at least five ranks in Craft or Profession, masterwork tools, etc.) 10 gold per tenday (1 gold per day) owns home and business (often same building), might be able to save some funds for future, living comfortable with low expectations of gaining wealth, goes out to taverns as a right not a rare event.

At least is my estimate.

30,000 gold can keep one living well for a long time depending on at what level they wish to live at.

Certainly could live well enough for 5 years and could (with lower standard) live 35 years with needs met.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Adarin
Acolyte

30 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2005 :  14:38:28  Show Profile  Visit Adarin's Homepage Send Adarin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, since gold is quite an important currency in the realms, I wonder if gems like rubies hold any greater influence than gold?

There will always be parting of ways which is never of your preference.
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2005 :  14:58:17  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think gems should have a greater influence than gold, I think each gem at least worth a hundred gold coins at least if the gem is an pigeon egg sized type. But gems are more commonly seen with nobles, monarchies or wealthy merchants of I am not wrong. Please correct me if I am wrong, thanks.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.

Edited by - Shadovar on 10 May 2005 14:58:56
Go to Top of Page

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2005 :  15:28:34  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Adarin

Well, since gold is quite an important currency in the realms, I wonder if gems like rubies hold any greater influence than gold?

Other than the novelty and beauty, gems are actually harder to deal with than gold. Most Inns and Taverns won't be able to give you change for a ruby when you order your meal. Sort of 'No $100 bill accepted', or 'Driver carries less that $50 in change'.
But if you are looking to impress somebody with your wealth, flashing your shiny gems, bribing with gems is definitely ways to go.
But you can't buy more with a gem, than you can with the equivalent in gold. Often unless you are trying to trick the merchant, you can't even purchase as much, after all they have an exchange rate to consider.

Run faster! The Kobolds are catching up!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2005 :  16:05:21  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gems in addition to what has been mentioned have at least two other features.

Display of them often publicly tends to make person a traget of theives.

Traders and others that often travel between cities would use them as easy means of transporting wealth and make expensive purchases.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2005 :  17:43:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Traders and others that often travel between cities would use them as easy means of transporting wealth and make expensive purchases.

That's the biggest advantage, right there. It's easier to drop a single diamond in your beltpouch than it is to try to cram 10,000 gold pieces in there.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2005 :  19:12:25  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

That's the biggest advantage, right there. It's easier to drop a single diamond in your beltpouch than it is to try to cram 10,000 gold pieces in there.

Conversely it is harder for a thief to get away with 10,000gp than it is for him to pick your pocket of a couple of very expensive and easily concealed gems.

Ahhhh. The joys of figuring out which is more important to you…portability vs thievability of gems or the ease of spending vs weight of lots of gold.

Run faster! The Kobolds are catching up!

Edited by - Fletcher on 10 May 2005 19:13:14
Go to Top of Page

Senbar Flay
Learned Scribe

185 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2005 :  20:44:20  Show Profile  Visit Senbar Flay's Homepage Send Senbar Flay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speaking of Gems some most be worth more than others since they come in a vareity. By the whats the most valuble mineral. Admantite? Mithril? Diamond?

Imagination is more important than knowledge for knowledge is limited imagination encircles the world.- Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2005 :  21:11:06  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Senbar Flay

Speaking of Gems some most be worth more than others since they come in a vareity. By the whats the most valuble mineral. Admantite? Mithril? Diamond?

Gems:

25 percent average value 10 gold
25 percent average value 50 gold
20 percent average value 100 gold
20 percent average value 500 gold
9 percent average value 1,000 gold
1 percent average value 5,000 gold

Well Dimonds are considered a gem as opposed to ore of the other two Adamantine is far more costly which could be a factor of being rarer or harder to work with.

Go to Top of Page

Senbar Flay
Learned Scribe

185 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  02:28:18  Show Profile  Visit Senbar Flay's Homepage Send Senbar Flay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speaking of gems I was wondering are there any books of sorts with info/rules on gem magic I find it very interesting and would like to learn more?

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  02:42:59  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The best source for Gems is probably in the old FR adventures source book which has values and descriptions for heaps of gems

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  02:53:33  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DargothThe best source for Gems is probably in the old FR adventures source book which has values and descriptions for heaps of gems

Pardon, would you mind posting the title of the old FR adventures source book? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  05:32:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadovar

quote:
Originally posted by DargothThe best source for Gems is probably in the old FR adventures source book which has values and descriptions for heaps of gems

Pardon, would you mind posting the title of the old FR adventures source book? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

The name of it is Forgotten Realms Adventures. It came out around 1990 or 91. This hardcover book was the bridge that first brought the Realms to 2nd edition -- it predated the 2E Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting boxed set by at least a couple years.

I see them pop up on eBay pretty frequently, and the price is generally reasonable.

Dargoth is right, though. It's the book to turn to for gemstones and their values.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 14 May 2005 05:34:55
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  05:33:26  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If he's thinking of the same book as me, then the title is Forgotten Realms Adventures, it's basically a campaign setting book updating the Realms to 2nd edition rules.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Bendal
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  14:34:57  Show Profile  Visit Bendal's Homepage Send Bendal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got a copy of the FR Adventures book. On gems it has the following price progression table:
d%
01-25 Ornamental Stones 10gp
26-50 Semi-precious Stones 50gp
51-65 Fancy Stones 100gp
66-80 Precious Stones 500gp
81-90 Hardstones Varies
91 Shells Varies
92-99 Gems 1000gp
00 Jewels 5000gp

d8
1 Stone increases to next higher value;
roll again ignoring the 1 result
2 Stone is double base value
3 Stone is 10-60% above base value
4 Stone is 10-40% below base value
5 Stone is half base value
6 Stone is decreased to next lower value
roll a d6 again, ignoring a 6 result
7-8 Stone is uncut and in rough form
Value is 10% of base value until polished
and cut by someone with jewelry skill. At
that time, reroll on this chart with d6.

The most valuable gems, from the "jewel" list, are as follows:

01-06 Amaratha
07-17 Beljuril
18-25 Black Sapphire
26-36 Diamond
37-47 Emerald
48-58 Jacinth
59-69 King's Tears
70-71 Rogue Stone
72-82 Ruby
83-85 Shou Lung Emerald
86-93 Star Ruby
94-00 Star Sapphire

I find these tables much more varied than the ones in the 3.5E DMG, which just set the base value and don't provide much if any price differential.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  15:41:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bendal

I find these tables much more varied than the ones in the 3.5E DMG, which just set the base value and don't provide much if any price differential.

And the fact that the gems have a description is nice, too. It means that people like me who know nothing of precious stones aren't left wondering just what a particular stone is.

Go to Top of Page

Bendal
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  16:14:41  Show Profile  Visit Bendal's Homepage Send Bendal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, having a description for the various stones is better than just saying "you've found a diamond, two emeralds and a jacinth" to the PC's.

After all, I doubt I'd be able to tell what a King's Tears was if it hit me in my head.
Go to Top of Page

jebeddo
Seeker

Canada
69 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  16:50:42  Show Profile  Visit jebeddo's Homepage Send jebeddo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher

Conversely it is harder for a thief to get away with 10,000gp than it is for him to pick your pocket of a couple of very expensive and easily concealed gems.

Ahhhh. The joys of figuring out which is more important to you…portability vs thievability of gems or the ease of spending vs weight of lots of gold.

Not if you have many wards around your valuables. If you are an adventurer, you would probably have a wizard to cast spells on your gems, and if you are a merchant, then you can hire a wizard to do the same thing.

"Only half-orcs rush in where devas fear to tread."
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  17:11:01  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jebeddo

quote:

Not if you have many wards around your valuables. If you are an adventurer, you would probably have a wizard to cast spells on your gems, and if you are a merchant, then you can hire a wizard to do the same thing.

Cost/risk assesment. To have many wards cast cost money, far more for permerment ones (that might need to be dispelled when buying something). The purchase of wards is much like purchase of insurance it sometimes pays off, sometimes does not.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  18:03:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jebeddo

quote:

It's the same for lots of coins, though...

Either way, you've got an advantage and a disadvantage. Gems are easier to carry than lots of gold, but also easier to steal and harder to spend in everyday transactions. Gold is easier to spend in everyday transactions, but it's harder to steal or carry in large amounts. Six of one, half a dozen of another.

Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2005 :  02:21:06  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings, carrying large amounts of coins and gems around the realms? Well, I heard that some adventurers or merchants resort to using dimensional backpacks or commonly called bag or cloth of holding where the backpack appear as a simple ordinary small bag but the person can chuck large quantities of stuff into the bag without worrying about lack of space or the bag too bulging to draw attention.

Go to Top of Page

Bendal
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2005 :  13:49:10  Show Profile  Visit Bendal's Homepage Send Bendal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bags of holding and especially portable holes are very useful indeed, but not everyone has them (and some campaigns don't have them at all). The PC's in my campaign have quickly realized it is better to spend their new-found wealth on useful items (like upgraded armor for the fighters) rather than hauling around thousands of gold pieces and having to worry about how to protect it. My PC's spent an entire evening debating among themselves one night about whether they should shell out the 2000gp for a set of full plate, or purchase something less expensive.

Being near a city large enough to offer some magic items for sale (especially items that cure wounds) also tends to insure that they don't keep much of their gold as coins.

Taxes and moneychanging fees (Yartar in my campaign has a 5% fee for converting old coins into "coin of the realm") are also a good way to relieve PC's of those terribly heavy coins. Purchasing gems for portability also incurs a tax in Yartar, since the new ruler there is trying to stop their use as unofficial money.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000