Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 New cover: Promise of the Witch King
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

O Love
Acolyte

Germany
49 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  10:45:55  Show Profile  Visit O Love's Homepage Send O Love a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
WotC released the cover image and some info about RAS' new novel "Promise of the Witch King":

WotC - Promise of the Witch King
Forgotten Realms: The Library - The Sellswords

Oh, and by the way, Happy Father's Day to all Germans.

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  12:40:07  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the new recommendations, so I wonder where the story of the Witch King is taking place...on Damara of Faerun or is it somewhere else?
Anyway, the novels look promising and full of action but a pity that its release date is that late.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Krafus
Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  13:55:36  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage Send Krafus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadovar

Thanks for the new recommendations, so I wonder where the story of the Witch King is taking place...on Damara of Faerun or is it somewhere else?
Anyway, the novels look promising and full of action but a pity that its release date is that late.

The Witch-King was the ruler of Vaasa, and he and his army invaded Damara. So IMHO it will be one of those countries. I really wonder who is this woman knight - and how she'll convince Jarlaxle and Entreri to go with her (or maybe it will be the other way around).

The release date is fairly typical of Salvatore's FR novels over the past several years. Considering I've been waiting for George R.R. Martin's A Feast for Crows since November 2000, I don't find October of this year a long wait.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  14:38:09  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice cover. Is that Lockwood again?
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  16:06:32  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The cover art is spectacular.I really dig it.After reading the little blurb.I must say that I am a little itrigued

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  17:08:19  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very nice. It certainly looks like the quality and style of Lockwood and he has worked on RAS's stuff prior to this too with Hunter's Blades Trilogy.

I already own Servant of the Shard (both as stand alone and in the Collectors edition), but i'll get it as part of this new Sellswords series too. However, i'm not happy about it being in paperback whilst Promise of the Witch-king is in hardcover . It may force me to wait until next year for the paperback version of Promise.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  17:47:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

One of the links contains another link to a description.

quote:

I grant you your soul, but not your life. Be happy that I have found a measure of mercy.

The Witch-King

A lich of unspeakable power that people say has been destroyed, but whose hand still somehow holds the realm in its grip.

The Knight

A champion of good with secrets as dark as any assassin's, she is the unlikeliest ally a dark elf has ever had.

Entreri and Jarlaxle might be strangers in the rugged, unforgiving mountains of the Bloodstone Lands, but they’ve been in difficult places before. Caught between the ghost of a power-mad lich, and the righteous fury of an oath-bound knight, they've never felt more at home.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  20:37:11  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know it's very early days but has there been any mention of further novels for this series or are we likely to have just two - an old and a new?

Obviously, the book will sell well so I wouldn't imagine that WotC are waiting for sales figures before giving RAS the go ahead for a possible book 3.

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2005 :  02:11:27  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Uh, a possible book 3? What will that book be about on?

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2005 :  08:07:01  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Uh, a possible book 3? What will that book be about on?

Well i'd guess and hope for more stories featuring Artemis and Jarlaxle.

That aside, being as the series is called The Sellswords, it could be about any new characters which fall into that description. However, I doubt that WotC would instruct RAS to start on new characters and would rather he continue the popularity of his existing characters.

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2005 :  08:18:50  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A third book wouldn't be happening for another 3-4 years. After Promise RAS goes to work on the new Drizzt trilogy.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2005 :  01:52:08  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A new Drizzt Trilogy? Well, I am sure looking forward to that.

Go to Top of Page

Krafus
Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2005 :  14:19:54  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage Send Krafus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

A third book wouldn't be happening for another 3-4 years. After Promise RAS goes to work on the new Drizzt trilogy.

He does? I was rather hoping he'd complete the Sellswords trilogy before going back to Drizzt and friends... After Hunter's Blades, I've had enough of Drizzt for more than just one year.
Go to Top of Page

The Blue Sorceress
Learned Scribe

107 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2005 :  06:11:19  Show Profile  Visit The Blue Sorceress's Homepage Send The Blue Sorceress a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
The Witch-King was the ruler of Vaasa, and he and his army invaded Damara. So IMHO it will be one of those countries. I really wonder who is this woman knight - and how she'll convince Jarlaxle and Entreri to go with her (or maybe it will be the other way around).

Boobs.

Seriously, Artemis might not care, but Jarlaxle has always struck me as the sort of guy who, though he might not let a nice pair of breasts blind him, will gladly let them tag along so long as the woman they grow on doesn't prove to be too much of an annoyance.

-Blue

Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely.

I see your walrus and raise you a carpenter
Go to Top of Page

Krafus
Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2005 :  14:46:03  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage Send Krafus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Blue Sorceress
Boobs.

Seriously, Artemis might not care, but Jarlaxle has always struck me as the sort of guy who, though he might not let a nice pair of breasts blind him, will gladly let them tag along so long as the woman they grow on doesn't prove to be too much of an annoyance.

-Blue

From the blurb, it sounds like that woman is a paladin, or at least the intolerant sort of lawful good. I can't imagine her approving of Entreri and Jarlaxle's ways. I wouldn't be surprised if the two of them came up with a plan to kill her if she becomes too difficult to deal with.
Go to Top of Page

The Blue Sorceress
Learned Scribe

107 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2005 :  19:03:21  Show Profile  Visit The Blue Sorceress's Homepage Send The Blue Sorceress a Private Message  Reply with Quote

quote:

From the blurb, it sounds like that woman is a paladin, or at least the intolerant sort of lawful good. I can't imagine her approving of Entreri and Jarlaxle's ways. I wouldn't be surprised if the two of them came up with a plan to kill her if she becomes too difficult to deal with.

"A champion of good with secrets as dark as any assassin's, she is the unlikeliest ally a dark elf has ever had."

I have trouble seeing how that means 'intolerant'. It sounds more like Salvatore's writing a proper paladin instead of supporting the Lawful Stupid stereotype. If she's got her own dark secrets she's be more likely to forgive Jarlaxle and Entreri their faults, at least temporarily, and try to show them by example a better path. She certainly wouldn't look down on either of them.

-Blue

Go to Top of Page

Krafus
Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2005 :  20:18:54  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage Send Krafus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
"A champion of good with secrets as dark as any assassin's, she is the unlikeliest ally a dark elf has ever had."

I have trouble seeing how that means 'intolerant'. It sounds more like Salvatore's writing a proper paladin instead of supporting the Lawful Stupid stereotype. If she's got her own dark secrets she's be more likely to forgive Jarlaxle and Entreri their faults, at least temporarily, and try to show them by example a better path. She certainly wouldn't look down on either of them.

-Blue

"I grant you your soul, but not your life. Be happy that I have found a measure of mercy."

This comes from the first link. I'm not saying she'll be Lawful Stupid - just that, from this quote, I think she won't be very happy that circumstances will force her to team up with a drow and an assassin.
Go to Top of Page

OmniBobb
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2005 :  07:16:31  Show Profile  Visit OmniBobb's Homepage Send OmniBobb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So... Promise of the Witch-King is the sequel to a book i got years ago that they are rereleasing in a few months NOT in a hardcover? So between the new series they are working on/recently released and the Legend of Drizzt series, there is going to be one book thats not hardcover? That's just damned ridiculous..

::shakes fist angrily at WotC::

Hey! Long time lurker, first time poster!
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2005 :  08:26:16  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone else notice on the POWK cover that the smoke in the background looks like an incorperal undead ie a Spectre or a ghost

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Blue Sorceress
Learned Scribe

107 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2005 :  09:28:07  Show Profile  Visit The Blue Sorceress's Homepage Send The Blue Sorceress a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

"I grant you your soul, but not your life. Be happy that I have found a measure of mercy."

This comes from the first link. I'm not saying she'll be Lawful Stupid - just that, from this quote, I think she won't be very happy that circumstances will force her to team up with a drow and an assassin.

Unless she's got magic soul-sucking powers I doubt that's the paladin/knight in question, since without those powers she power to grant or deny a person their soul. The quote doesn't have a name associated with it but to me this sounds like either Jarlaxle or Entreri. Think about it: a paladin (or champion of good) wouldn't "find" a "measure of mercy," she'd have it in spades. Jarlaxle and Entreri need to go looking for their mercy -heck, for Entreri it would practically be an epic quest. Unless Salvatore doesn't have a good conception of the relationship between goodness and mercy (and I think he does) this would be a really off quote from the lady in question.

She won't dancing for joy to find herself hanging out with Jarlaxle and Entreri, but that doesn't mean she'll be hostile toward the idea.

I'm betting she's got either one or both of them swinging toward neutral alignment before the book's over. (An outcome I'd favor less is that they swing her toward neutral or evil, but I won't pretend that it's not a possibility.)

-Blue

Go to Top of Page

Tanyn Midrain
Acolyte

Sweden
27 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2005 :  11:23:12  Show Profile  Visit Tanyn Midrain's Homepage Send Tanyn Midrain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Anyone else notice on the POWK cover that the smoke in the background looks like an incorperal undead ie a Spectre or a ghost

Yeah, might it be the Witch King himself mayhap?
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2005 :  11:55:57  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think yes, it must be him, the witch king watching the battle between the heroes and his minions. But it seems to me that the witch king appear like a lich or near skeleton, but I wonder is there more colorful versions of the witch king.

Edited by - Shadovar on 12 May 2005 11:57:21
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2005 :  12:47:03  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the Witch King is a lich. So appearing as one would make sense, even if, admittedly, a lich of his power probably knows how to appear pretty much any way he chooses.

And I wonder if anyone has told Salvatore about the events in the Rite yet...

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Paec_djinn
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2005 :  13:41:49  Show Profile  Visit Paec_djinn's Homepage Send Paec_djinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Well, the Witch King is a lich. So appearing as one would make sense, even if, admittedly, a lich of his power probably knows how to appear pretty much any way he chooses.

And I wonder if anyone has told Salvatore about the events in the Rite yet...

I doubt it'll matter. Salvatore's story always seems to be a few years earlier than present-day FR

EDIT: Or if Salvatore decides to make a big impact on Vaasa then maybe it might matter.

Edited by - Paec_djinn on 12 May 2005 13:43:23
Go to Top of Page

Krafus
Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2005 :  14:21:11  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage Send Krafus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Unless she's got magic soul-sucking powers I doubt that's the paladin/knight in question, since without those powers she power to grant or deny a person their soul. The quote doesn't have a name associated with it but to me this sounds like either Jarlaxle or Entreri. Think about it: a paladin (or champion of good) wouldn't "find" a "measure of mercy," she'd have it in spades. Jarlaxle and Entreri need to go looking for their mercy -heck, for Entreri it would practically be an epic quest. Unless Salvatore doesn't have a good conception of the relationship between goodness and mercy (and I think he does) this would be a really off quote from the lady in question.

We don't know what god this paladin worships. Maybe a paladin of Ilmater would show mercy, but after Thornhold, I can easily see a paladin of Tyr displaying such intransigeance.

quote:
She won't dancing for joy to find herself hanging out with Jarlaxle and Entreri, but that doesn't mean she'll be hostile toward the idea.

Maybe not. But apparently Entreri and Jarlaxle registered as evil when Cadderly cast a spell in the last pages of Servant of the Shard. We know paladins can detect evil. I can't see a paladin traveling with companions she knows to be evil being happy about it.

quote:
I'm betting she's got either one or both of them swinging toward neutral alignment before the book's over. (An outcome I'd favor less is that they swing her toward neutral or evil, but I won't pretend that it's not a possibility.)

-Blue

You mean more toward neutrality than their current neutral evil alignments? That's a possibility.
Go to Top of Page

The Blue Sorceress
Learned Scribe

107 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2005 :  15:46:57  Show Profile  Visit The Blue Sorceress's Homepage Send The Blue Sorceress a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
We don't know what god this paladin worships. Maybe a paladin of Ilmater would show mercy, but after Thornhold, I can easily see a paladin of Tyr displaying such intransigeance.

I've never read Thornhold but if you want my opinion, true goodness (and a paladin is supposed to be truly good) means mercy and certainly doesn't mean interfering with a person's soul. The quote could also be from the Witch King himself, and to me that sounds pretty in character for a guy like that.

quote:
quote:

Maybe not. But apparently Entreri and Jarlaxle registered as evil when Cadderly cast a spell in the last pages of Servant of the Shard. We know paladins can detect evil. I can't see a paladin traveling with companions she knows to be evil being happy about it.

It would depend on whether or not their interests coincide and whether or not she believes that she can keep them from committing any evil acts while travelling with her, I would think. Also, it may not be her choice. She may be forced to travel with them, either because they kidnapped her because they need her for something or for who knows how many other reasons. Whatever the case, it looks like they're going to end up in one another's company. Like I said before -which is sort of what got this whole thing started- Jarlaxle probably wouldn't mind the feminine company. It's be a nice break from being forced to look at Entreri all the time, I would think.

quote:
quote:

You mean more toward neutrality than their current neutral evil alignments? That's a possibility.

Indeed, that's what I mean. Jarlaxle, I think is the most likely, simply because I always pegged him for CN anyway. I was actually surprised to find that he was evil. Entreri's not the sort to open up and let others change his mind, or even the sort, I think, to try new things -Jarlaxle likes trying new things, I'd wager- so it might be harder to get under his skin and encourage him to think about other people as something more than possible targets, employers or simply set decoration.

-Blue

Go to Top of Page

Iliphar1
Learned Scribe

Austria
133 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2005 :  19:28:42  Show Profile  Visit Iliphar1's Homepage Send Iliphar1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
didn't Gareth Dragonbane destroy the phylactery of Zhenghy?
if the phylactery is destroyed Zhengy himself is utterly destroyed either. But there might be his old minions, grown to power themselves

... there is still the matter of his old fortress with all the dragons etc. inside...

Anyway the "soul - live" statement can only be from a creature which has power over soul and body - deity, lich, demon, something like that, but rather unlikly a paladin or lawful good warrior. Anyway why would a paladin leave a corrupted soul untouched, but take a live instead? Doesn'T sound very good-ish to mee

about the timeline, in the Year of the Rogue Dragons Sammaster posed as Zhengy to find orcish followers to attack Damara. If this book is set bevore these events Sammaster would have a to explain a lot to the orcs, wouldn't he?
On the other hand, maybe the "appearance" of Zhengy (in reality Sammaster) might have roused something

'You see dead bones? ... I see an army!' Ezechiel 37
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  03:01:00  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe the reappearance of the Witch King(impersonated by Sammaster) was enough to rouse thr orcs of Vaasa to action where 'His' reappearance makes the orcs think that the Witch King is invincible and nothing can prevent him from returning despite being slain by Gareth Dragonsbane.

Go to Top of Page

Osieu
Acolyte

26 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2005 :  08:45:49  Show Profile  Visit Osieu's Homepage Send Osieu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Actually, I think it might be said by Orcus himself!

You know, the Witch-King was a follower of Orcus in life/unlife. Therefore, when he got destoryed by Dragonbane, his soul would most likely return to Orcus and got punished for his failure. Now look at the line "Caught between the ghost of a power-mad lich..." So we can see that the Witch-King returns as a ghost, which just fits the said situation - Zhengy has his soul back (as a ghost), but no life, no body, no nothing. Besides, this line is very Orcus style too - "I give your soul back to haunt in undeath, to wander forever... and you should be thankful that I'm in good mood."

Edited by - Osieu on 15 May 2005 08:48:02
Go to Top of Page

TymoraChosen
Seeker

67 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2005 :  08:53:16  Show Profile  Visit TymoraChosen's Homepage Send TymoraChosen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So it seems that the witch king had returned to complete the task it had not successfully accomplished and must finish it before he could find rest?

May tymora's blessings be heaped on all
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2005 :  14:24:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Osieu

quote:

Actually, I think it might be said by Orcus himself!

You know, the Witch-King was a follower of Orcus in life/unlife. Therefore, when he got destoryed by Dragonbane, his soul would most likely return to Orcus and got punished for his failure. Now look at the line "Caught between the ghost of a power-mad lich..." So we can see that the Witch-King returns as a ghost, which just fits the said situation - Zhengy has his soul back (as a ghost), but no life, no body, no nothing. Besides, this line is very Orcus style too - "I give your soul back to haunt in undeath, to wander forever... and you should be thankful that I'm in good mood."

That's the best explanation I've seen thus far.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000