Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Waterdeep-novel finished
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  04:12:07  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Flexibility can resolve many a bad mood . . .

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2005 :  05:21:23  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some news from Elaine Cunningham's blog:

quote:

Monday, May 09, 2005
City of Splendors is in typesetting
Thank god/dess.

Ed Greenwood finished proofreading the copyedited-by-WotC-then-revised-by-me manuscript and turned it over to Peter Archer earlier today. The production schedule is very tight, so I don't expect to see galleys. But we went over and over and OVER that story, so I'm fairly confident. I like the story that evolved during this long and tortuous process, Peter seems satisfied with the end result, and Ed is still speaking to me. What more could one ask of a first collaboration?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2005 :  05:26:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh... Sirius, you beat me to it... .

Either way, it is GREAT news regardless .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2005 :  05:43:08  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
Either way, it is GREAT news regardless .

I know...only three months to go.....
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2005 :  20:31:58  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SB,now that was a low blow you threw at Wooly...Anyways I can't wait for this novel to hit the shelves.I too like Waterdeep because of all the interesting characters found there.So the possibilities are endless for this novel..

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2005 :  02:35:11  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, are you folks gonna like it!
Now that Ed's turned it over, he let me see just the Prologue (gambling that it will be used as the "sample chapter" posted on the WotC website, and trusting in the legal protection of the original Realms agreement: one of my PCs is mentioned in the novel [crafty, crafty Ed], so I do have the right to review the text before publication).
The Prologue is set in the past (before the main events of the novel), is longer than many Realms novel chapters, and I can see how it 'sets up' the novel without seeing what it's setting up, if you know what I mean.
I don't want to read any of the rest of it until I can hold the glorious finished version in my hands, but I can feel the depth that Ed and Elaine have built into it just from this "snippet."
Three months, scribes, three months . . .
love to all,
THO
P.S. Please don't quiz me about the contents. I won't tell. However, feel free to quiz Ed through me, and we'll see what spills. He's done pretty energetic spillage here at Candlekeep already, though . . .
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2005 :  02:59:40  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, folks! Just wanted to let you know there's a sample chapter (the Prelude of which THO spoke) up on my website, www.elainecunningham.com

The link will take you to the home page, but it's easy to navigate from there.

ec
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2005 :  03:28:50  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Groovy intro! I want! Gimme! :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2005 :  03:30:24  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

Hi, folks! Just wanted to let you know there's a sample chapter (the Prelude of which THO spoke) up on my website, www.elainecunningham.com

ec

That's one large sample chapter. Thank you Elaine Cunningham for sharing this chapter and thanks to Peter Archer for allowing it to be posted on your site.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2005 :  04:11:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

ec

That's one large sample chapter. Thank you Elaine Cunningham for sharing this chapter and thanks to Peter Archer for allowing it to be posted on your site.

Well... it doesn't get much better than that... . Oh, wait... the entire novel itself would certainly be BETTER . What am I saying... .

I'd like to thank you EC, for posting this on your site. Did you have any difficulties with WotC getting permission to do so?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2005 :  04:12:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sweet mother of Lurue!

I can't wait to get my hands on that novel...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2005 :  04:44:04  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Did you have any difficulties with WotC getting permission to do so?

Not really, no. I spoke to Peter Archer a couple of months ago, and he said it would be okay. Using excerpts for PR purposes is pretty standard.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2005 :  06:15:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd already considered that.

I just thought that with the impending release of the Waterdeep: City of Splendors sourcebook, WotC might have wished to keep all the pre-release material on their own site.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2005 :  06:40:42  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd already considered that.

I just thought that with the impending release of the Waterdeep: City of Splendors sourcebook, WotC might have wished to keep all the pre-release material on their own site.

No offense to anyone, but the WOTC isn't really good at providing a sample chapter until the month the novel is set to be released. Thus, I'd much rather see authors, like Paul Kemp and Elaine Cunningham have, obtain permission to post sample chapters on their own sites if it means we'll get such chapters a bit earlier.
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2005 :  12:01:46  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the sample chapter was good and well written. But it is a real pity that such an excellent novel release date is that late.(August 2005)

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Adarin
Acolyte

30 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2005 :  12:26:37  Show Profile  Visit Adarin's Homepage Send Adarin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will certainly be looking forward to the day the novel is finally released.

There will always be parting of ways which is never of your preference.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2005 :  14:20:24  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadovar

Well, the sample chapter was good and well written. But it is a real pity that such an excellent novel release date is that late.(August 2005)

FYI, August has always been the target publication date. Trust me, no moss is growing on this manuscript. The production schedule is very tight. Three months isn't much for typesetting, proofreading, printing, and shipping.
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  02:43:33  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaine I'm thinking Shadovar wants it in hand,like yesterday.To be honest so do I...I guess we'll just have to be patient.In the prelude that you so graciously rendered to your humble fans.Thank you very much.Is this a part that Khelben plays in The Threat from the Sea that wasn't told in that trilogy?It's kind of obvious,but I'm not sure.If it is.Why was this part of the timeline chosen as a starting point for this novel???Actually,I'm not sure if Waterdeep has been featured after that time.I'm speaking of in novels mind you.

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

Accursed
Acolyte

Australia
10 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  11:32:27  Show Profile  Visit Accursed's Homepage Send Accursed a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

ec

Thank you Ms Cunningham! I too can't wait for this book! I also wanted to say I absolutely love your writing!

Change is neither good nor evil, it just is.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  14:59:37  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Accursed. Hope you enjoy this book, which is an odd and gleeful hybrid of Ed Greenwood's and my quite diverse styles. :)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  15:50:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thank you, Accursed. Hope you enjoy this book, which is an odd and gleeful hybrid of Ed Greenwood's and my quite diverse styles. :)

"An odd and gleeful hybrid"... Now that's a phrase that gets my attention!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  16:01:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm just as intrigued by the intricate weaving of the writing styles of both EC and Ed.

Waterdeep will truly be a unique novel that I shall enjoy experiencing... .

Go to Top of Page

TymoraChosen
Seeker

67 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2005 :  08:58:42  Show Profile  Visit TymoraChosen's Homepage Send TymoraChosen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I'm just as intrigued by the intricate weaving of the writing styles of both EC and Ed.

Waterdeep will truly be a unique novel that I shall enjoy experiencing

Same here, I am certainly rubbing my hands to get the first copy.

May tymora's blessings be heaped on all

Edited by - TymoraChosen on 15 May 2005 08:59:46
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2005 :  10:13:03  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
originally posted by TymoraChosen Same here, I am certainly rubbing my hands to get the first copy

ha, i think I am exercising more to get ready to rush to the nearest bookstore to get a copy of it.*chuckles*

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.

Edited by - Shadovar on 15 May 2005 10:14:04
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2005 :  20:38:11  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Loved the teaser chapter on Elaine's site, can't wait for more, more, more!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Paec_djinn
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2005 :  23:41:08  Show Profile  Visit Paec_djinn's Homepage Send Paec_djinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Tuesday, May 17, 2005
City of Splendors cover
The folks at WotC sent me a pile of book jackets for the upcoming Waterdeep book. The cover design is very eye-catching; online versions don't do it justice. The characters don't resemble anyone in the story, but I came to the conclusion long ago that verisimilitude is not a necessary component of an effective FR cover. And the back cover copy is very good:

[i]In the streets of Waterdeep, conspiracies run like water through the gutters, bubbling beneath the seeming calm of the city's life. As a band of young, foppish lords discovers there is a dark side to the city they all love, a sinister mage and his son seek to create perverted creatures to further their twisted ends.

And across it all sprawls the great city itself: brawling, drinking, laughing, living life to the fullest.

Even in the face of death.{/i]

The villian in question is a priest, not a mage, but that's a relatively minor matter as back cover copy goes! :)

From Elaine's blog. What interests me is the villain. Since she says it's a priest and a son, it's made me think it's Golskyn and Mrelder. I think it should be interesting to see how Mrelder turns if this is him.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2005 :  01:23:41  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Loved the teaser chapter on Elaine's site, can't wait for more, more, more!!!!

That's exactly why I haven't read it. I can't say I'm bouncing up and down desiring this book (only because THO made me blush the *last* time I said that), but I know if I read the sample chapter I'll only want it more and make the waiting harder. Thanks, but I'll wait until I can read it all.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2005 :  02:45:05  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, Hoondatha, go ahead and SAY it!
I promise: if you bounce up and down, I’ll do something deft that’ll really make you blush . . .

And in the meantime, I’ll pass on this tidbit from Ed to all scribes:

If you think CITY OF SPLENDORS has but two villains, and their names are Golskyn and Mrelder, you’re thinking on way too narrow a band. Consider: how many villains, in a realistic situation, think of themselves as villains?
Don’t a lot of them think they’re just trying to “set things right”?

Ho ho. Stay tuned, Realms fans . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2005 :  03:48:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

If you think CITY OF SPLENDORS has but two villains, and their names are Golskyn and Mrelder, you’re thinking on way too narrow a band. Consider: how many villains, in a realistic situation, think of themselves as villains?
Don’t a lot of them think they’re just trying to “set things right”?
Ah... the justification for most of the actions of the villainous... .

I imagine that in a city as large and cosmopolitan as the City of Splendors, every mortal has at least one enemy at some point in their lives -- whether it be a disgruntled shop owner furious over local competition, or the dark hooded thief who stakes a claim for the life of an important House noble for imagined wrongdoings.

Go to Top of Page

Prince Forge of Avalon
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2005 :  05:39:33  Show Profile  Visit Prince Forge of Avalon's Homepage Send Prince Forge of Avalon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you know Thy Hooded One you only make the wait harder when you tease me sooo!

PFoA
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000