Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Waterdeep-novel finished
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2005 :  05:36:29  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
quote:
originally posted by Elaine Cunningham at http://elvenbard.blogspot.com
A thorough review of the copyedited manuscript took a little longer than I'd anticipated (what doesn't?) but I just sent the corrected ms to Ed Greenwood, along with copious notes explaining said corrections. Considering the tight production schedule--the book is scheduled for released in August--I doubt we'll see galley pages, so this is IT!

Ed's busy with taxes, but he'll give the ms a lightning-quick read and send it along to Peter Archer. Peter asked for it by April 28, so we're on target. I'm exceedingly tickled. Closure is a wonderful thing, but to be finished AND ahead of schedule is truly glorious.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2005 :  05:41:23  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a Waterdeep novel later this year?

When did that development come about?

Seriously, great news to pass along Kajehase. And the even better news is that Elaine's blog is up again. Last I heard she had abandoned it because of computer problems.

SB
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2005 :  05:56:34  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't wait for it to come out... I'm gonna be busy sweeping FR books off the bookstore shelves. Lol.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2005 :  06:31:59  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

Seriously, great news to pass along Kajehase. And the even better news is that Elaine's blog is up again. Last I heard she had abandoned it because of computer problems.

SB

Yup, sometimes it's good to forget to clean up your bookmarks

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2005 :  11:33:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am so looking forward to the release of this novel!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Accursed
Acolyte

Australia
10 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2005 :  16:24:09  Show Profile  Visit Accursed's Homepage Send Accursed a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Me too! I love Elaine Cunningham's work!

Change is neither good nor evil, it just is.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2005 :  18:06:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Accursed

quote:

Me too! I love Elaine Cunningham's work!

For me, it's not just that it's Elaine's work. It's because it's Ed's and Elaine's work -- the creator of the city and an author who truly feels Waterdeep, my fave place in the Realms.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2005 :  18:31:21  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
For me, it's not just that it's Elaine's work. It's because it's Ed's and Elaine's work -- the creator of the city and an author who truly feels Waterdeep, my fave place in the Realms.

Not to mention, the creator of Elaith and the author who truly captured Elaith in several novels/stories. In a few short months, the most intriguing moon elf in Faerun is back.
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2005 :  20:17:26  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, what's the plot and who'll be involved? Khelben, Laeral, Elaith and Mirt are givens
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2005 :  20:21:57  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ethriel

So, what's the plot and who'll be involved? Khelben, Laeral, Elaith and Mirt are givens

Check out Elaine Cunningham's thread. She provided some details on there.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2005 :  00:21:07  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed. ELFSHADOW is a favourite book among we Knights of Myth Drannor, because Elaine "mind-read" Ed at long range somehow and brought Elaith to life in fiction PERFECTLY (matching the way Ed, who created the Serpent, had been roleplaying him as a recurring NPC in our Realmsplay sessions for years).
However, Ed has cautioned me that although "fixtures" like Elaith, Mirt, and Piergeiron play IMPORTANT roles in the book, they're NOT the main characters or the heroes.
Ed and Elaine are giving us a whole new cast of folk to play with. :}
Wheee, et cetera.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2005 :  07:33:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another intriguing tidbit... Great Lady, you tease and tempt us .

And for that, I thank you .

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2005 :  17:35:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Ed and Elaine are giving us a whole new cast of folk to play with. :}

While I kinda figured as much, it is nice to see that there will be some cameos of favorite Waterdhavians...

Any teasers you can drop about the characters we'll meet?

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2005 :  17:37:39  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

To hell with teasers....WOTC needs to get a sample chapter out to the fans.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2005 :  18:16:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

To hell with teasers....WOTC needs to get a sample chapter out to the fans.

That works, too.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2005 :  18:30:47  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No sample chapters until Ed proofs the galleys that Elaine just passed to him - - and he'll do THAT when his taxes are done (due end of April in Canada). In other words, he'll do it very soon.
As for characters . . . hmmm.
Piergeiron and his hitherto-unseen 'bodyguard' mage, plus a senior Watchful Magist (all briefly). Mirt and his lovely lady Asper (several times). Khelben, Laeral, and a gaggle of apprentices in Blackstaff Tower (just long enough to 'explain them out of the story').
Elaith and some henchmen, including someone new and, as Ed put it, "of potential future importance." Some villains, ditto. Some merchants, and the two daughters and servant of one of them. Some young wastrel nobles (of families already known, but built into major characters).
Some folks in Candlekeep, someone in Luskan, Texter (VERY briefly), and . . .
Ed has deliberately not told me much more.
So that's it for now . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2005 :  19:31:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

No sample chapters until Ed proofs the galleys that Elaine just passed to him - - and he'll do THAT when his taxes are done (due end of April in Canada). In other words, he'll do it very soon.
As for characters . . . hmmm.
Piergeiron and his hitherto-unseen 'bodyguard' mage, plus a senior Watchful Magist (all briefly). Mirt and his lovely lady Asper (several times). Khelben, Laeral, and a gaggle of apprentices in Blackstaff Tower (just long enough to 'explain them out of the story').
Elaith and some henchmen, including someone new and, as Ed put it, "of potential future importance." Some villains, ditto. Some merchants, and the two daughters and servant of one of them. Some young wastrel nobles (of families already known, but built into major characters).
Some folks in Candlekeep, someone in Luskan, Texter (VERY briefly), and . . .
So that's it for now . . .
love to all,
THO

Well, thank you both for that much, my lady.

I'm particularly interested in the bodyguard mage, Elaith's henchman that will be important in the future, and the Candlekeep folk...

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2005 :  19:37:51  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Quick, someone ship a bunch of calculators, pencils, and erasers to Canada.

quote:

Elaith and some henchmen, including someone new and, as Ed put it, "of potential future importance."

Ohh, now that is a big and wonderful tease....

quote:

Is that for your own safety and protection?

Thanks again THO for being patient with endless questions and passing along information within the forum.

SB
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2005 :  05:08:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Piergeiron and his hitherto-unseen 'bodyguard' mage, plus a senior Watchful Magist (all briefly). Mirt and his lovely lady Asper (several times).
A Watchful Magist... Hmmm... Intrigue abounds. And Mirt, and more of lovely Asper. I'm glad. They're a great companion piece for any novel based in or around Waterdeep.

Once again, thank you for the teasers... err I mean tidbits Great Lady .

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2005 :  16:08:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're very welcome.
Just to assuage false hopes: aside from Elaith, Mirt, and Asper, all of these 'familiar fixtures' people, especially the Candlekeep folk and Texter (who are seen in flashback scenes), are seen VERY briefly.
The tale focus is on the new characters, and their doings. Movements will rise, monsters will fall, nobles will revel, statues will walk, beholders will blink, tentacles will writhe, ghosts will moan . . . and Elaith will smile.

Ah, but I don't tease much.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 24 Apr 2005 16:09:03
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2005 :  16:28:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

. . . and Elaith will smile.
Ah, well, that is the most important thing now, isn't it?

quote:
Ah, but I don't tease much.
No, but then we all love you for it .

Edited by - The Sage on 24 Apr 2005 16:29:38
Go to Top of Page

Crust
Learned Scribe

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2005 :  16:42:39  Show Profile  Visit Crust's Homepage Send Crust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm eagerly anticipating this novel. I'm sure the only gripe I'll have is that it's not long enough.

"That's right, hurl back views that force ye to think by name-calling - 'tis the grand old tradition, let it not down! Anything to keep from having to think, or - Mystra forfend - change thy own views!"

Narnra glowered at her father. "Just how am I to learn how to think? By being taught by you?"

"Some folk in the Realms would give their lives for the chance to learn at my feet," Elminster said mildly. "Several already have."

~from Elminster's Daughter, Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2005 :  17:23:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm so looking forward to this one, too. Though I still remain curious about the fact that it doesn't come out until a month after the sourcebook...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  02:45:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why the curiosity?

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  02:46:53  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Why the curiosity?

I wonder if WR is saying it would make more sense if the novel than the gaming product was released or that both should be released in the same month?

Edited by - SiriusBlack on 25 Apr 2005 02:47:21
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  03:06:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Why the curiosity?

I wonder if WR is saying it would make more sense if the novel than the gaming product was released or that both should be released in the same month?

That could be.

I rather prefer the idea that the sourcebook is released before the novel though. There could be new areas or places in Waterdeep that are described in the sourcebook as well as in the novel. Having fore-knowledge of the descriptions of these new places may help the reader to enjoy the overall experience of the Waterdeep novel.

Edited by - The Sage on 25 Apr 2005 03:08:29
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  03:08:57  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I rather prefer the idea that the sourcebook is released before the novel though. There could be new areas or places in Waterdeep that are described in the sourcebook as well as in the novel. Having fore knowledge of this places may enjoy the reader's overall experience with the Waterdeep novel.

WOTC might also believe that non-FR fans who buy the gaming product to mine for information might like the setting so much that if the novel is released a month later, they will purchase it.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  03:10:12  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder if Asper's flexibility will be mentioned again . . . but . . . I . . . oh nevermind.

Peirgeron has always ever been my favorite paladin, and even if he is only breifly on the scene I will appreciate it. And of course a cameo from my hero Khelbun . . .

I love Waterdeep, and Elaine and Ed working together is a dream come true. So far Ed has taken a Jeff Grubb and Troy Denning, authors that I already liked, and created masterpieces with them . . . I will be looking forward to seeing similar magic with Elaine.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  03:33:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Why the curiosity?

It just seems a bit odd that we're getting a novel and a sourcebook on the same area, but not at the same time.

Truly, if there was going to be a interval between them, I'd expect the novel to come first -- to get people curious enough to buy the sourcebook.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  03:47:21  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Truly, if there was going to be a interval between them, I'd expect the novel to come first -- to get people curious enough to buy the sourcebook.

If I were you, I'd go over to the WOTC site and demand to know why they didn't follow the release pattern you outlined above.

Oh wait....
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  03:48:21  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I wonder if Asper's flexibility will be mentioned again

Well, we do know Elaith smiles at one point.....not sure that would do it. She doesn't strike me as his type.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000