Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Are certain Realms books too difficult to follow?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2005 :  22:18:10  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie
You know that's why novels usually have a couple blank pages at the end? To take notes. Wizards usually fills up those pages with ads, but you look into more classic literature and whatnot and you'll find a plethora of blank pages. That's what notetaking's for!

Write? In my books? My precious books!

That's what I was thinking. Eeeeeeeee gods! No farking way!

Bah! That's what pencils and disappearing ink are for. And in the latter case, you get to re-experience a novel totally anew (and commensurately blank on the characters) when the ink's gone. Charming.

But notecards are also quite cheap, and fit neatly in the back of books too. And post-it notes.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2005 :  22:22:26  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie
But notecards are also quite cheap, and fit neatly in the back of books too. And post-it notes.

Cheers

Exactly what I've been utilizing with the last couple of FR novels I have been eagerly anticipating.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2005 :  23:15:08  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An amusing story that's somewhat related to the topic: Yesterday I finally started reading Ruby Guardian. I've had it for a while, but haven't had time to actually start it. I was fine for the first few pages where a new villian was introduced and a couple of nameless people got slaughtered, but then the first chapter began. And there were four recurring characters (a couple of villians and a couple of innocents), and I realised I didn't have a clue who any of them were.

I very quickly realised I needed to reread Sapphire Crescent.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2005 :  23:33:50  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

And if you want a series where everyone gets resurrected over and over again, bad guys as well as good guys, try Katherine Kerrs Deverry-series.

Every bad guy does not come back in the wheel of time. Only the Forsaken even have this slimm chanse. And if they get hit by Balefire, not only their bodies but their souls get destroyed as well, so they can`t come back. Does anyone here who is reading the wheel of time know if there is a spell in FR that acts a bit like Balefire?

I don't think I said every bad guy comes back in WoT dear. Although, technically, everyone in that series that doesn't get balefired comes back sooner or later. Anyway, enough of this non-FR talk before a certain moderator decides a tap of his staff will be in order.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2005 :  23:40:47  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha
I very quickly realised I needed to reread Sapphire Crescent.

I can understand that Hoondatha because it's part of a trilogy. However, the two books in my original thread that the reviewer had trouble with include one starting a series, and one that I feel is capable of being read as a stand alone without reading any of the previous Elminster or Cormyr books. Although, I feel ED reads best when the latter series of books are familiar to the reader.
Go to Top of Page

Paec_djinn
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2005 :  01:06:58  Show Profile  Visit Paec_djinn's Homepage Send Paec_djinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The thing which happens to Hoondatha happens to me alot. But nonetheless, I usually don't re-read it as usually the previous story will suddenly appear in my head. If worse comes to worst, I just need to flip through the pages of the previous book but nothing beyond that. I usually only re-read if I'm bored. I prefer new stuff to old ones.

I've only read Dissolution out of the two books from Creech's reviews but it didn't really cause me much trouble. Once in awhile I had to flip back to check who the secondary characters were. That also was the Baenre spy who spied on the Ched Nassads. I believe her name was Waerva and she had a long absence from the story to actually really be remembered.

So I don't think that FR books have caused any trouble with me. The only book I've read so far with this trouble is Black Hawk Down, but that book's problem is because of neccessary reasons.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2005 :  03:02:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm losing track of characters...and forgetting some of them.

But then again, I'm not reading a Realms novel. I'm reading Quicksilver, by Neal Stephenson( page 659 of 916, Volume I of III).

I haven't read a Realms novel in awhile, I must confess-I'm behind.

But what I have noticed in Realms novels is that it's not the amount of characters that trip me up-it's the geography. Consistently. Even for places I've run 3+ games in, it still trips me up-badly.
Go to Top of Page

Karesch
Learned Scribe

Canada
199 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2005 :  03:04:19  Show Profile  Visit Karesch's Homepage Send Karesch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Karesch
The only thing that I think I stumbled on, was some of the ressurrected people, who now have new identities,

Resurrected people that have new identities? Are you ser-...nevermind

Yeah, in the wheel of time, there's a cast of characters known as "The Chosen" (self given title) or "The Forsaken" by most people. well, in the latter books, some of them that have been killed, are resurrected, as new people. new names, ne bodies, even one that was a male, is now a female.... so, it caused some stumbling at first, but was quickly figured out/understood.

Kar

Knowledge is power... power corrupts... knowledge corrupts? hmm...

Death is only frightening to those who haven't died yet...
Go to Top of Page

Alhoon
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2005 :  03:37:13  Show Profile Send Alhoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have never had any trouble. Of course we are all into the realms and just being here completely puts us above casual readers.

::SLURP::
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2005 :  04:14:20  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Hang your head in shame.
Go to Top of Page

Songrimm
Acolyte

Germany
38 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2005 :  04:22:00  Show Profile  Visit Songrimm's Homepage Send Songrimm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i must admit in wotsq i lost track of some minor characters who suddenly appeard again. i had no clue that they had been mentioned before other than that was stated. but for the main characters, no problem. perhaps thats because i have read them in german. and thats also a problem: translations suck!!
same problem with rr martins soiaf, but there they have conveniently (sp?) but the appendix in the back.
its just there appears a character in a scene and somewhere 300 to 400 pages later he is mentioned again. and you go => whoooo??
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2005 :  06:51:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

But what I have noticed in Realms novels is that it's not the amount of characters that trip me up-it's the geography. Consistently. Even for places I've run 3+ games in, it still trips me up-badly.

That's me, too. I have a truly lousy sense of direction and geography... I sometimes have a hard time figuring out where stuff is in the real world! Nations, states -- those things I'm pretty good at. Local businesses? Specific streets? Forget it...

So, for the Realms, I have a rough idea of where most stuff is... But it's only rough. I constantly have to look at maps to know exactly where something is.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2005 :  07:00:12  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
That's me, too. I have a truly lousy sense of direction and geography... I sometimes have a hard time figuring out where stuff is in the real world! Nations, states -- those things I'm pretty good at. Local businesses? Specific streets? Forget it...

Have you ever gone from a big city to a small town? I did and the difference in people giving directions was a big cultural shock.

quote:

So, for the Realms, I have a rough idea of where most stuff is... But it's only rough. I constantly have to look at maps to know exactly where something is.

Many of the recent novels that focused on new areas such as Lisa Smedman and Thomas M. Reid's trilogy had me consulting one or both of my FR maps.

I wonder if some of the jokes I heard from my military days transfer to the Realms...

Scene: Cormyr, a veteran war wizard and new noble lord are on top of a hill. The Lord has a map in his hand.

Lord: "I think we are lost again. This map is no help at all."

Frustrated War Wizard: "Try shaking the nearest tree mi'lord. When you look at the map again, whichever tree is shaking, that's where we are."

Noble lord cocks his head and then walks to the nearest tree, using all his might to make it shake.

Noble Lord as he looks down at the map: "Hey, it didn't work."
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2005 :  17:32:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Hang your head in shame.

I just haven't felt like reading swords and sorcery as of late, no matter what the actual subject matter is.
Go to Top of Page

Zelg of Cyric
Acolyte

44 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2005 :  06:30:08  Show Profile  Visit Zelg of Cyric's Homepage Send Zelg of Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't read Elminster's Daughter yet. I have read Dissolution, and it was a wonderful novel.

There was only one FR book that I had a hard time following and it was "Elminster in Hell." I had hard time distinguishing what was one of El's memories and what was going on in the present. Eventually, I got used to it. But I must say that is was a little confusing. I think that was the effect Mr. Greenwood was going for though. Because it was unclear whether Ed knew what was memory or not when they were being ripped from him.

"Even before he first walked the world as a mortal, Cyric had the will to resist the random call of Fate and make his own fortune. As his newborn soul stood before the goddesses, he cast a light upon Tymora's silver coin, blinding them to his presence. The deities never saw the coin fall, never settled their wager on Cyric's destiny. Thus was he born into the world without any fate save the one he himself could forge." -- from the Cyrinishad
Go to Top of Page

The Blue Sorceress
Learned Scribe

107 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2005 :  06:42:52  Show Profile  Visit The Blue Sorceress's Homepage Send The Blue Sorceress a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[quote
Did any scribes have difficulty with either novel?
[/quote]

I haven't read Elminster's daughter, but I have read Dissolution.

Were there a lot of characters? No, not really. Was it difficult to read? No, not at all. Then again, I'm an English literature major, so what's easy for me might be harder for another. Still, if this reviewer thinks complexity is a bad thing then I don't think they ought to be reviewing books. Needless complexity is a bad thing. Complexity that adds to verisimilitude is not. Naming characters and adding seemingly pointless details are what help a person drift into a totally alien world like that of a fantasy novel. Without that what's the point?

-Blue

Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely.

I see your walrus and raise you a carpenter
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2005 :  14:18:52  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have sworn to read nothing but Realms novels until I have read all of them, and so far I haven't.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2005 :  14:31:03  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I can understand that Hoondatha because it's part of a trilogy. However, the two books in my original thread that the reviewer had trouble with include one starting a series, and one that I feel is capable of being read as a stand alone without reading any of the previous Elminster or Cormyr books. Although, I feel ED reads best when the latter series of books are familiar to the reader.

I do think that ED could have been somewhat confusing to someone who is not familiar with the Realms. I think it's difficult for any of us to see things from the critic's point of view, since we are all so steeped in Realms lore. Ed's love for his characters shows in his work. When these characters appear, it's like a reunion among old friends, there are no introductions, they just pick up where they left off. I see this as a strength in Ed's work, but I can understand how this could be off-putting to newcomers to the Realms.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2005 :  07:54:12  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WOTSQ was easy for me to follow, especially having all six books.

Elminster's Daughter I enjoyed, I was able to follow the known realms characters no problem. The problem was all the detail given to the many minor characters made it hard to follow them. That sort of thing is all good in a sourcebook, but in a novel it takes away from the story and makes it hard to follow. I felt the same in Shandril's Saga (and I guess it's because it's the newer versions). I've read a plethora of realms novels and sourcebooks. All in all, i'd have to say that Ed's weakness is novels but his HUMONGOUS strength is sourcebook stuff which seems to bleed into his novels (which it shouldn't but alas it does). Ah well, no one's perfect (I could never write a novel, nor even a proper chapter). I will still read Silverfall in due time and whatever else he makes cause i'm too addicted to FR.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023

Edited by - Alisttair on 27 May 2005 07:55:01
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2005 :  19:18:47  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wasn't joking when I said I don't think Ed's conception of the Realms distinguishes 'major' and 'minor' characters. Using a large cast of detailed characters is a preference you may not enjoy, but it isn't a weakness in any objective sense. It's a characteristic of the setting.

It may be that the Realmslore bottleneck encourages Ed to put more lore into his novels than he otherwise would. I find them all the better for it, though I appreciate that someone looking for a straightforward A to Z story might not.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000