Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Are certain Realms books too difficult to follow?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  17:19:20  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
From ENWorld today I saw two FR books had gotten reviews from D20 Magazine Rack's website.

Within each write up, the reviewer, Mr. Steven Creech had this to say about

Elminster's Daughter:

quote:

Will the cast of characters never end? To be honest, I had a really hard time keeping characters straight in my head. There are a lot of named secondary characters and its really difficult understanding their relationships to the main characters and the story

and

War of the Spider Queen: Dissolution:

quote:

Another complaint has to do with the large cast of characters. There were times when I wasnt sure just who was who and what the relationship was that existed at that moment. You need a scorecard handy to keep them all straight despite the fact that most were minor characters

Did any scribes have difficulty with either novel?

I did not and, to quote a TV show I once liked, I'm not the brightest star in the heavens.

Edited by - SiriusBlack on 15 Apr 2005 17:21:17

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  17:23:44  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can't say I've ever had this problem, especially with TSR/WOTC novels. Very odd.

I can think of some other novel series that have over 10+ characters and I always manage to keep the characters straight.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  17:33:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

I did not and, to quote a TV show I once liked, I'm not the brightest star in the heavens.

Would it be rude to agree with that?

I've not read the latter novel, but I had no such problems with the first one.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Krafus
Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  17:44:28  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage Send Krafus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If Mr. Creech needed a scorecard for those novels, then he'd better never start to read Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time...
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  17:45:18  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Krafus

If Mr. Creech needed a scorecard for those novels, then he'd better never start to read Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time...

That was the one I was thinking of as I wrote my above reply. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  17:59:59  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For someone that hasn't read Ed's other works, Elminster's Daughter might have too many characters to follow or now about, but I totally don't see that being a problem with Dissolution.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  18:11:41  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

quote:

Most definitely agreed! You read about a character in book 2 then don't see them again until book 10 and you're supposed to remember where they're from, who's side they're on, and what their special little quirk is. I'm still a fan though, atleast he puts the appendix in the back to describe them all.

As for realms novels. I have never had a problem following them. I have not yet read any WotSQ though.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  18:14:53  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Bane

quote:

quote:

Most definitely agreed! You read about a character in book 2 then don't see them again until book 10 and you're supposed to remember where they're from, who's side they're on, and what their special little quirk is. I'm still a fan though, atleast he puts the appendix in the back to describe them all.

You know that's why novels usually have a couple blank pages at the end? To take notes. Wizards usually fills up those pages with ads, but you look into more classic literature and whatnot and you'll find a plethora of blank pages. That's what notetaking's for!

quote:
As for realms novels. I have never had a problem following them. I have not yet read any WotSQ though.

I don't think you'd have any trouble following WotSQ. The names are very different, generally, so it's not tough -- I always get mixed up when the names look alike or sound alike.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Krafus
Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  18:17:31  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage Send Krafus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Not surprising. So many similar characters (especially the female ones), so little difference in their personalities...

I've never had problems keeping the characters of FR novels straight in my head, maybe due to my love of lenghty novel series. The characters having distinct personalities from each other's is also a big help, no matter what the genre.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  18:22:51  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I can think of some other novel series that have over 10+ characters and I always manage to keep the characters straight.

I was trying to think of a WOTC novel that was difficult for me to keep a listing of characters straight. However, I can't come up with one.

Perhaps Forsaken House if it did not have the Cast of Characters Roster at the back of the novel. Yet, I doubt it. The only non-Realms novel that comes to mind is Black Hawk Down. However, that novel had easily hundred plus names mentioned not a couple of dozen or so. And when I couldn't recall someone mentioned, I simply utilized the index to find out where and if he had last been mentioned so I could get a reference on who was being discussed.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  18:26:19  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Yes, and be nice. I put that self-deprecating remark in there to make up for some of the other thread titles I almost used when posting this.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  18:28:24  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Or George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series. That group of novels has an appendix listing members and servants of each House. That feature I have had to utilize at times when reading this series. But, again, we are talking about a hundred plus names.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  18:30:47  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

For someone that hasn't read Ed's other works, Elminster's Daughter might have too many characters to follow or now about, but I totally don't see that being a problem with Dissolution.

I have not read the other Elminster works before reading ED. But, I had no trouble. However, you do have a point, that might be a possible problem for some. As for Dissolution, I agree with your statement. Aren't most of the characters in that novel new to the Realms? Thus, previous history would not be a problem for a new reader.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  18:33:22  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie
You know that's why novels usually have a couple blank pages at the end? To take notes. Wizards usually fills up those pages with ads, but you look into more classic literature and whatnot and you'll find a plethora of blank pages. That's what notetaking's for!

Write? In my books? My precious books!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  18:38:22  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Write? In my books? My precious books!

That's what I was thinking. Eeeeeeeee gods! No farking way!

Go to Top of Page

Krafus
Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  19:10:49  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage Send Krafus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Or George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series. That group of novels has an appendix listing members and servants of each House. That feature I have had to utilize at times when reading this series. But, again, we are talking about a hundred plus names.

Actually, I did think of ASOIAF when making my post, but the reason I didn't mention it is because I'm so familiar with that series I can actually keep nearly all the characters straight in my head. Of course the fact that the women in ASOIAF are not cast from the same haughty, sniffing, know-better-than-any-man, can't-admit-she's-wrong-without-torture mold helps.
Go to Top of Page

thekosta
Acolyte

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  19:16:35  Show Profile  Visit thekosta's Homepage Send thekosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The guy that did those reviews is a book critic? You must not need to know anything to get that job. The only time I ever remember not being able to keep names right was LotR and i first read that when I was 10 about 20 years ago. George rr martins didn't have a problem. Robert Jordan nope no problem. Tsr/WotC never once had a problem. If it is so hard to keep the characters straight then that guys is in the wrong profession.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  19:41:29  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thekosta

The guy that did those reviews is a book critic?

Mr. Creech is more than just a book critic via the site. As I thought from recognizing his name, he has worked with many companies and products that I am familiar with.

quote:

You must not need to know anything to get that job...If it is so hard to keep the characters straight then that guys is in the wrong profession.

I understand your frustration. Yet, when I created this thread, I was not looking to criticize the critic. More, I wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one who felt differently.

As for online reviews, a very skilled and extremely arrogant former TSR employee once lectured me on how little regard is given to online reviews. I wonder if given Mr. Creech's extensive background in gaming, his review would be considered an exception.
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  21:24:55  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always have problems remembering the names of minor characters. To quote the Nathrezim Varimathras from warcraft: "I believe his name was Garabon or Gilithos or something like that. Human names all sound the same to me".

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2005 :  00:29:11  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'Too many characters' in that 'review'* is the same kind of observation as the 'too many notes' criticism of Mozart. The Realms, not just those particular novels, has lots of interrelated characters which it does not divide into the 'major', 'minor' and 'secondary' ranks both those pieces tellingly assume.

(Then there's those amazon.com 'reviews' which praise books for being 'easy to read'...)

* I'm not using these quote marks just to be sarcastic, but because the review is an honoured and worthy form, requiring skill and talent, and a title most online 'reviews' do not deserve.

Edited by - Faraer on 16 Apr 2005 00:33:30
Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2005 :  02:24:39  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I second that motion.

I've not read El's Daughter but I have read the latter. I didn't find it or any other FR novels hard to follow.

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2005 :  04:39:08  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still haven't read ED (is it out in paperback yet? Much as I like Ed, I don't have the money for hardcovers...), but I haven't had any problems with the WotSQ books.

About the only TSR book I can think of that gave me a little trouble with names was Evermeet (understandable since it's essentially 10,000+ years of history), and even that was minor. Most FR authors do a good job of making the names of character dissimilar.

To be honest, I think I've been reading Realms books for so long it's become imprinted in my psyche. Makes it easy to deal with Realms names (though I still can't *write* them to save my life... ).

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2005 :  05:18:29  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

To be honest, I think I've been reading Realms books for so long it's become imprinted in my psyche. Makes it easy to deal with Realms names (though I still can't *write* them to save my life... ).

Which is why I said Elminster's Daughter may be a problem. There are just a few *snickers* of Ed's characters in there and if you aren't up on your Realms lore you're going to be lost because it doesn't waste space on half a page of backstory.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Karesch
Learned Scribe

Canada
199 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2005 :  05:35:00  Show Profile  Visit Karesch's Homepage Send Karesch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Am currently about to delve into the 10th book for the Wheel series, and so far, I haven't had much if any trouble keeping things straight. The only thing that I think I stumbled on, was some of the ressurrected people, who now have new identities, but even that was barely of note. as for FR novels, never had a problem with them. Keeping 10-20 characters straight in a novel isn't hard to me, I mean, u need that many just to make a novel I thought... They tend to get kinda dull if it's just 2-3 people interacting with eachother, and noone else? I mean, that's fine for a short story, but for a Novel, (to me, something exceeding 200pages), that much book, about a couple people interacting with eachother, would tend to feel pointless I think. But yeah, can't say I've ever had a problem with FR novels... or any others I can think of off the top of my head.

Kar

Knowledge is power... power corrupts... knowledge corrupts? hmm...

Death is only frightening to those who haven't died yet...
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2005 :  05:36:55  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Karesch
The only thing that I think I stumbled on, was some of the ressurrected people, who now have new identities,

Resurrected people that have new identities? Are you ser-...nevermind

Edited by - SiriusBlack on 16 Apr 2005 05:37:21
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2005 :  06:03:44  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I myself did not have this problem at all. FR novels often have very unique characters with different attributes, styles, etc, because this was how authors tried to distinguish themselves from other FR authors. I find that FR novels are the easiest to remember with names or identites of a character.

In fact, even the Return of the Archwizard trilogy, with like over a score of different characters (with a dozen different princes of Shade), it was not that hard to remember or figure out.

I find that complaining about a large cast of characters is stupid with FR novels, because the Realms is such a large place with so many different NPCs. It is through the creations of such characters that keep the Realms interesting and alive. If every novel only had one character named Bob, sure it would be easy to "keep track" of characters, but would you really want to read the book?

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2005 :  13:00:37  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Karesch
The only thing that I think I stumbled on, was some of the ressurrected people, who now have new identities,

Resurrected people that have new identities? Are you ser-...nevermind

Yep, a couple of bad guys who got killed were brought back by putting their spirits into bodies. Of course, if they die again, their boss is going to(if this was FR) make them envy the False and the Faithless.

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2005 :  15:35:22  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And here I've been reccomending the FR-books as "easy-to-read" books to friends that aren't to comfortable with reading English. Guess everything's relative eh?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2005 :  15:36:23  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And if you want a series where everyone gets resurrected over and over again, bad guys as well as good guys, try Katherine Kerrs Deverry-series.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2005 :  18:58:48  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I can see what the reviewer is talking about. I too had some problem keeping track of the minor characters Ed threw at me in Elminster's Daughter.

That said, I read it over a longer period while reading other books as well, so I can't really blame Ed.
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2005 :  20:40:34  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

And if you want a series where everyone gets resurrected over and over again, bad guys as well as good guys, try Katherine Kerrs Deverry-series.

Every bad guy does not come back in the wheel of time. Only the Forsaken even have this slimm chanse. And if they get hit by Balefire, not only their bodies but their souls get destroyed as well, so they can`t come back. Does anyone here who is reading the wheel of time know if there is a spell in FR that acts a bit like Balefire?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000