Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 City of White Towers...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2005 :  19:10:25  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
or Land of Alabaster Towers... Fore detail buffs and conspiracy theorists:

In the Serpent Kingdoms tome (page 97, Oreme), we learn that the nickname of Oreme is the City of White Towers. It lies approx 200 miles east of Weathercote Wood, on the edge of the empty sands of the Frozen Sea. Isstosseffifil, of which Oreme was part, lasted until -33,800DR

In Lost Empires of Faerūn (page 106 Rasilith), we learn that Thaeravel was also known as the Land of Alabaster Towers. It can be found in the Quarter of Emptiness. Thaeravel was ancient by the time Netheril came into existence, and was overrun by the latter in -3392DR.

Aside form the locations, which seem to indicate that there is a difference, the naming is awfully close; Alabaster being a specific white... One would almost wonder if there was a deliberate link here...

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2005 :  23:38:08  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, possibly. The "Terraseer" may have visited Thaeravel just as he visited Netheril and 'guided' their architecture as well as magic-use. But more likely it's just one of those Eric Boyd stream of consciousness things.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2005 :  09:45:20  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Comments Eric?

Though the Terraseer is a nice twist on things, it could fit into his grand design... like a certain spellcaster in my PbeM who's past all of a sudden seems much clearer now the mystery of the Terraseer has been unveiled to this DM... too many coincidences that rhyme all of a sudden, I wonder if he sent his background to the design team of LEoF
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2005 :  13:55:32  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think (fuzzy memory) they are unrelated, just curiously similar names. However, great Realmslore is made by linking things the author did not necessarily intend, so go for it!

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2005 :  22:00:04  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting theory... I had not read the Serpent Kingdoms. 30 thousand years is quite a long time. that is the time of the war of the Seldarine and even 7 thousand years before the forming of ardeep. the empire could very well be as powerful as it is mysterious. I'm going to check that out right now.

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2006 :  08:52:10  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
totally amazing i had got serpent kingdoms over the holidays! thaeravel was full of sorcerors so its possible that they could be a sub race like a sister city of lesser sarrukh slaves... like yuan-ti? the ones that look slightly normally (since the netehril books doesnt mention them beign too different)

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000